Reviews by The_Cologneist

The_Cologneist's avatar
    The_Cologneist

Cuba Black by Cuba Paris

I'm leaning more towards a thumbs down with this one. Then again, as long as I don't have to smell it so often, it is alright. If I had to smell this every day, I'd get dizzy a lot and pass out. It has a very cloying opening that seems to capture the middle and base of ApH and then kick it up 80 notches. This doesn't smell "black", rather overly cloying, sweet, and ultra synthetic.. while at the same time it doesn't smell cheap, so kudos to that.

I paid about 8 bucks for 3.3 oz of this, bought it completely blind based on nothing but positive reviews at the time, that's about to change though, because Cuba Black isn't that good. Definitely not worth my stamp of approval. Its title is misleading, as are some of these reviews. No disrespect to the reviewers though, but I feel that the next blind buyer should be aware. As for this staying close to the skin. ARE YOU INSANE!? This stuff lights up a room just a couple sprays. It actually makes ApH look weak.

So I'd say if you like cloying, sweet, synthetic smells trying so desperately to mimic 80's powerhouses then go for it here. This can be a headache in a bottle indeed, and can project into next year. I like projection, but not when I dislike the scent for the most part to begin with.

Is it worth the dough? Well, if all of the above appeals to you, then yes. But for less than twice the price you could get about half the amount of ApH; smell really nice, not offend anyone, and not be afraid to tell people what you're wearing either :)

20th May, 2010 (Last Edited: 13th July, 2010)

Virgilio by Diptyque

Apparently this has been discontinued. Virgilio reminds me of Zirh Corduroy; in fact they smell extremely alike in their openings. I did the test with one on each arm prior to concluding this. Virgilio surpasses Corduroy in terms of longevity, but it is a skin scent for the most part. It projects about 2 inches off the skin when it's opening/beginning of middle. It stays much closer through most of the middle and the dry down, but has about average sillage.

What I actually get from Virgilio is like a greenish and very herbal concoction with some cinnamon.. maybe clove as well; it develops more into a light powdery vanilla. It doesn't project very well and doesn't have that same unique structure that Tam Dao and Philosykos have. It seems kind of expired, both smell and feeling wise. It's not by any means a bad smell though.

Is it worth it? Well.. considering this is now discontinued (going by what the Diptyque rep told me, as well as other sources) if you do find it, you may be springing for more than the usual prices, maybe even more than retail. To me.. Corduroy surpasses this, and is like a 20th of the price. However there are noticeable differences -- they may seem/feel like clones.. but my philosophy as it pertains to the world of fragrances is that "no two fragrances are identical". Virgilio is a less vibrant version of Corduroy but ONLY in the first 20 minutes or so are they really reminiscent of each other. Overall Virgilio being an EDT/cologne with the same alcohol concentration of any other EDT isn't even close to being worth 150-200 bucks.

17th May, 2010

Latitude Longitude by Nautica

Smells like a mix of cat piss, moss, and mold. Nautica's worst for sure, thank god this has been discontinued.

15th May, 2010 (Last Edited: 16th December, 2010)

Giorgio for Men by Giorgio Beverly Hills

Giorgio is a very strong barbershop scent IMO. It's extremely powerful and does not smell too good up close to my nose -- at least not in the first hour or so. During which time it's very sharp up close and smells extremely chemical. However, if I refrain from sniffing my wrists, or just smell them with my nose about 6 inches away, it's a wonderful scent. It has above average sillage and projection and very good longevity.

The aroma itself.. all I get in the opening is a very strong Barbasol, as it dries a little I definitely get the patchouli and amber but I don't really get the vanilla. The dry down is the best part with the honey and moss both of which are noticeable.

Not only is this extremely powerful but the sprayer shoots out a lot as well. About twice as much as the average sprayer, so one spray to the chest is all you really need. A 1.6 oz bottle could last me a couple years when I rotate with other frags too.

13th May, 2010

Blue Seduction for Men by Antonio Banderas

Blue Seduction starts off very tangy with like a sour melon note.. yet from the beginning it has this mint that quickly works its way to the front. Once the mint takes over it incorporates the cappuccino note which actually isn't very sweet. It's like a minty cappuccino with hints of apple lingering. It's really nice once you figure out what it is that you're smelling. The mint is very noticeable and it isn't a sickening sweet mint; the way the mint is used actually makes it feel medicinal. Three hours in, it fades into a nice subtle woodsy base. Projection is a little above average throughout, as is sillage.. longevity has been 6+ hours everyday I've worn this for the past week.

It's very a soothing relaxing aquatic that stands out from many other aquatics. It did however take me a couple wearings to enjoy this, mostly because it smelled cheap and I couldn't figure out what was in there with the mint... it's clearly cappuccino though. The cappuccino note does seem to weave in and out of the fragrance, it comes and goes.

Overall we have a different take on your typical aquatic, but it's nothing really special. I get like a menthol back rub, rubber glove feeling from it.. then I also get a laying on the hammock on a nice spring day feeling. You definitely wanna try this before you buy, it does smell a little cheap.. similar structure to a DKNY or Lacoste frag. It's kind of like a mix of Cool Water Frozen and DKNY Be Delicious.

Is it worth it? The retail price on this is set lower because it's considered a drugstore fragrance. 1.7 oz retails for 30, and the 3.4 retails for 45. Is it worth these prices? If you're buying blind.. absolutely not, if you're already a fan.. no. It's a decent fragrance with a cheap feeling. I got a mini pack with this and Spirit -- both .5 oz for 7.99 @ Ross, to me that was a little overpriced. What I bought is worth about 5 bucks. But I took a risk because I figured they were mini's and it's not every day you find a less common mini pack. Spirit is a completely different fragrance of completely different structure, but Blue Seduction isn't worth more than 15-20 bucks for the bigger bottle. Ten bucks for the 1.7 is an ok deal as well.

Tam Dao by Diptyque

Fantastic slightly sweet and dry sandalwood. Dry, but not to be confused with animalic -- sometimes dryness can smell animlic like in Dirty English.. (which I hate) This is much different. I also get a bit of rosewood in the middle. Tam Dao is a nice fairly linear fragrance that emphasizes on the sandalwood note, longevity is 8+ hours.

Jardin Clos by Diptyque

This should be labeled a woman's fragrance for sure. It smells like flowers and soap to me. I get absolutely no watermelon in the opening; which was the main reason I ordered a decant of this, because I wanted to see Diptyque's take on such a note. I can't see myself wearing this, but it doesn't smell awful.

Philosykos by Diptyque

If you don't like the aroma that real fig leaves give out, then steer clear of this. This is probably the best fig scent on the market, but that's completely subjective. There may be an acquired liking for Diptyque; but it's definitely the most pure, most natural, and most basic fig fragrance around. If you don't know what fig leaves and figs smell like, you should start here, rather than finding some fig synthetic chemical concoction. As others have said.. you get the fig and the leaves from this. It's quite easy to differentiate the two -- figs smell somewhat sweet and fruity, while the leaves smell earthy or even dirty. They come together very smoothly along with the white cedar which smells much lighter than your typical cedar.

In most of the reviews, nobody except JaimieB really mentions the coconut smell. It's definitley very very light, but it's there indeed (more so in the middle and dry down). But it doesn't at all smell like what we think of as coconut, rather.. it smells like the endocarp (inner shell)

I wish some of the sweet fig notes from the opening lasted a littler longer.. it dries into of a fig leaf/ white cedar mix that's pretty linear throughout. Projection is pretty good in the first 2-4 hours; sillage is a little better. I only had a decant of this that I wore once (I did one big application with this) so I can't say 100% how the longevity is; but from the one time I wore it.. I got a good 5 hours.

Carlos Santana for Men by Carlos Santana

I went blind on this one, I usually do well when making blind buys, but this one was just ok to me. Then again I've only been wearing it for 3 days, so maybe it's too early for a review.. but I just don't see myself liking this much more.

To me it opens up like apples & coconut, and actually smells like a uni frag. It's a very synthetic opening not nearly as delicious as the the apple opening in Nicole Miller. The apples in Carlos Santana quickly dry down and vanish within 10 minutes and it turns into a somewhat cloying and very powdery fragrance from there on out. As some others have said, longevity is 2-4 hours, but what's odd is that others can smell me still for hours to come, when I smell absolutely nothing. LITERALLY I smell nothing. The bottle is nice, but the cap is a b*tch to get off.. it's best to not close the cap to a snap, and just leave it staying on top and not actually snapped close.

Is Carlos Santana worth it? It's definitely not worth the retail price. I got a 3.4 oz for about 16 bucks and I'm a little disappointed at that price. I think it's a cheap fragrance, highly synthetic smelling and the biggest bottle isn't worth more than 12 bucks. 15-16 is a push, do not pay more than this.

Overall it isn't horrible, the dry down is a little better, my opinions may change, but as for now.. it's just an average cologne. This is not really a gourmand, more of a sweet oriental.

10th May, 2010

Paradox for Men Green by Jacomo

My first impression was "where have I smelled this" I looked back at the reviews and Soleil hits it right on the head with the comparison to Un Jardin en Mediterrane. Only difference is that it's not Hermes, so it's not as natural feeling or as earthy smelling. It opens up with a huge burst of energy and has GREEN written all over it. I try to compare fragrances that are less known to more common ones, so with Paradox Green it reminds me of Gucci PH II, Diesel Green minus the sweetness and a little bit of Tommy Bahama. It doesn't project incredibly yet has good sillage. Now realizing the dramatic differences between projection and sillage, I place my wrist 4-6 inches away from my nose to test projection, and I do the same for sillage only I wave my wrist and arm up and down and all around. With Paradox Green there's definitely more sillage than there is projection, longevity is at least 6 hours, but sometimes I get up to 10!

Can't go wrong on this one, it can be found very cheap, and it's different than most stuff out there, especially stuff in its price range. As Soleil says, it's not entirely unique, but it is different. If you put this next to Cool Water, AdG and Curve.. this would turn the most heads. For its price.. yes it's unique.. but for fragrances in general.. it's nothing super special.

More into the notes -- It's hard to say what's in the opening.. smells a little bit like seaweed or sea salt, but very subtle, lots of leaves for sure, grassy and very very green and fresh. As it dries it begins to remind me of Gucci PH II, I actually get a tea accord coming out of it, the pepper is also noticeable and it's not a very synthetic pepper like the stuff in L'eau par Kenzo. The rosewood lingers there behind it all, it's something you don't really notice until the end of your sniffing. Cardamom is very subtle, not overdone like in many fragrances, I smell a little nutmeg or possibly even ginger.. the only thing I don't get from the middle is the red berry. The base incorporates woods, moss and tonka bean yet still maintains much from the middle and that same green feeling that was so refreshing in the top. This actually makes for a pretty complex fragrance that still isn't all over the place. It's complex yet still somewhat linear, it switches phases very very smoothly which makes it seem linear. It's very precise at what it does and very well balanced, one of the best green fragrances I've ever experienced, and with a low price tag.

08th May, 2010

T for Him by Tommy Hilfiger

Time to revise another review.. my initial review of this was just sad, and quite off.

Firstly, this is a great fragrance for a more mature man who wants a fresh, almost aquatic scent, because it has a pine/mossy dry down. While most aquatics have base notes with sandalwood and musks, this one has a more mature vibe.

The opening, I get a citrus blast, not the typical boring bergamot, but a nice combo of clementine and lime. The middle is certainly green and dewy, (wet green notes) with its listed "green notes". The "fresh wet t-shirt" mid note is a bit silly though. Let's say for arguments sake, you have a new t-shirt and it gets wet.. it smells nothing like this, but I see the gimmick they were going for here, to match the bottle/name. The base is mostly pine and moss, with a hint of woods. I can smell the moss though from almost the opening notes, you can kind of tell that this one is going to go a different route. I can see why a lot of people are turned off by it, because the notes don't really match.

Give it a try though if you can get a good price on it, this is not recommended to blind buy.

04th May, 2010 (Last Edited: 10th March, 2014)

Thallium by Jacques Evard

When doing my reviews, I like to compare fragrances to others, it really helps greatly, especially when you're able to use 2 mainstream fragrances to compare. In Thallium's case, picture the middke notes of Joop! mixed with the top notes of Rochas. Thallium is a gourmand with a light fruity twist to it. The opening is comparable to that of Rochas, Animale Animale or Bod Heat by Bod Man. After its been on your skin for about an hour it may feel like a skin scent or as if the fragrance has vanished completely, but trust me, it's still there.. just very very subtle.

Vanilla, cocoa, a little powdery, possibly mango.. it may sound gross to mix Joop! and Rochas, but trust me it works very very well. This is a light scent though, don't expect a lot of sillage, longevity is about 4-6 hours. Thallium would make a great fragrance for more intimate affairs, a date, a formal event, or even an sexual encounter.

Try before you buy gets thrown out the window on Thallium, because for one it's hard to find in stores, and two it's one of the most inoffensive fragrance I've come in contact with. Pretty much everybody likes it, so if you've got an extra 20 bucks to squander, don't rule this guy out.. it's mighty good. B-

30th April, 2010

Adidas Dare by Adidas

Dare is very similar to IZOD. In fact.. picture yourself putting on IZOD.. waiting 2 minutes until the top dries down a bit. At this point -- is where Dare starts off, but don't get confused.. it doesn't have an opening identical to IZOD's middle.. rather that same smell, with top note power. I think that's the best way to describe it.

As it dries down though it turns more into like a Dunhill Pure or Azzaro Chrome Sport. Not bad at all, poor longevity little sillage, and overall forgettable. A fair grade would be a C-

29th April, 2010

Azzaro pour Homme by Azzaro

Azzaro PH is quite a delightful scent. It starts off as a dark citrus, lavender, with the slightest smell of anise. Then quickly turns into a sharp pine -- this part I liked the least. Typically when something so sharp comes into play, it tends to last and last, but not on this bad boy.. it turns out to be a quick sharp pine note that quickly tones down into a nice middle of what mostly smells like vetiver, patchouli, and lavender. There isn't much of a difference between the middle and base except for some sandalwood. However there is a huge difference between the opening and the middle/base. The opening may turn off a lot of people, personally.. I enjoyed the opening just as much as the middle and base -- if not more. The only part I didn't care for was that turn to sharp pine a few minutes into the fragrance; but as I said it quickly dies down and from it emerges this amazing middle and base which can be considered a masterpiece. Excellent longevity and perfect sillage on this one. Typically I don't like the older fragrances from the 60's and 70's but this one is very likable and versatile. I'd say if you're looking for that "perfect old school" fragrance that isn't quite as powerful as stuff like Quorum and Kouros, and you enjoy stuff like Drakkar Noir, then this may be right up your alley. Unfortunately I had the displeasure of trying Chrome and Visit and other newer ones from their house first, which I found to be horrible for the most part -- which ultimately gave me a bad impression of their fragrance house. Wearing this one though was not only an honor but a privilege.

26th April, 2010 (Last Edited: 26th December, 2010)

Exceptional Because You Are for Men by Exceptional

Oh god.. this one certainly lives up to its negativity. To begin.. it already is very cheap smelling and unimpressive. To add more to it.. or less.. it smells just like Chrome, which is a fragrance i despise.

It stings the nostrils!!

24th April, 2010 (Last Edited: 09th November, 2011)

Diesel Zero Plus by Diesel

At the moment I currently dislike my Zero Plus, but that's because I keep trying to pull it off in this hot weather. Zero Plus is clearly a fall and winter fragrance, and not only will it be hard to wear in the hotter months, but it actually diminishes when exposed to too much heat, where as others would project. Some fragrances do this, and ZP is one of them.

Onto the smell itself. The opening is a huge burst of cinnamon which quickly incorporates vanilla and a very light mossy smell. Like the rubber bottle, you can smell a little bit of a rubber note in the fragrance, but it's not harsh and barely noticeable. The middle and dry down are about the same as the opening, just with more spices. ZP is a rather linear fragrance but should not be taken lightly; it has a powerful opening that might turn some buyers off, but it dries down into basically a thinner consistency of the opening, without all that cinnamon and more of your typical base -- patchouli and musk.

Makes for a great cold weather fragrance. As I said, do not wear this during hot months, it will evaporate from the skin quickly and give you a bad impression of it. This is a fragrance with a typical 6-10 hour lifespan, using it wrong will knock that down to under an hour.. literally. Because it's limited to only wear a few months out of the year, and isn't as versatile even during those months, I'm giving ZP a B- overall.

23rd April, 2010

Eau d'Orange Verte by Hermès

First and foremost, everything you see in that pyramid is sniffable here. So don't expect any surprises or twists and turns. It is what it is, and it's very good at what it does.

As with every Hermes fragrance I've tried, Eau d'Orange Verte smells just as natural, pure, and like a part of mother nature. The opening actually reminds me of Le Petit Grain by Miller Harris. Lemon and mandarin are highly noticeable in the opening, projection isn't that much in the beginning which was the only surprise. I noticed I sometimes have a problem telling the difference between orange blossom and mango, but thanks to the notes here in front of me, I can confirm that I'm smelling mango. I don't get the papaya until after the mango which is cool; they don't stay together.. rather separate into their own -- sort of. Finally the base.. two notes that I don't particularly care for, but they are done excellently in this one. Everything just fades together beautifully which makes for a fantastic fragrance. This one I'd recommend for summer for sure. Released in 79 yet still modern; good job Hermes!

21st April, 2010

Un Jardin en Méditerranée by Hermès

I recently found a sample of this with a little bit of juice left, enough to totally revise my old review. In my old review I talk about this being a cedar beast.. WTF was I thinking? I guess over the years my nose has better developed and has experienced less common notes like fig.

Un Jardin En Mediterranee is all about the fig. It opens up with a blast of frash fig, very similar to the style in Philosykos, but a bit more citric. Orange blossom, neroli, call it what you want.. this citrus floral note peaks in and out of the background, but this fragrance is really all about the fig. After about 20 minutes, the fig isn't as citric or "tropical", it turns more woodsy with cypress and juniper, and pretty much dries down this way, with a little bit of musk.

En Mediterranee is quite linear, as you would expect from most fragrances by Jean Claude Ellena, but his footprint is there, and you can tell right off the bat where this one is going. I like it, but it's a bit too boring for me. I expect much more from my fragrances, especially at this price. Projection and longevity aren't as good as others from this line, I get about 6 hours here, and that's being nice. If I had to choose, I would take Philosykos in a heartbeat over this. It's got the same fig top note, but lasts a hell of a lot longer, projects better.

20th April, 2010 (Last Edited: 15th May, 2014)

Axe Dark Temptation / Lynx Dark Temptation by Axe / Lynx

If you like chocolate, and you like body sprays, then Dark Temptation is for you. Most body spray's I've tried fail in the longevity department, but Dark Temptation does a great job. It lingers and lingers, as a creamy chocolate/vanilla. The opening is far more of a dominant chocolate note. It actually changes a little.

Body sprays are just that.. So don't expect much. But this one is the first of its kind. A gourmand body spray, that is also light and refreshing. What is best is that it lingers, and while it does, it doesn't overpower. Hard to resist really.

In the category of body sprays -- Dark temptation gets an A+.

20th April, 2010 (Last Edited: 27th October, 2011)

Un Jardin Après La Mousson by Hermès

Many of the Hermes frags have the same construction, Un Jardin Apres La Mousson is no different. This one is like a salty green/marine/oceanic/sea breeze fragrance. It starts off smelling like fresh seaweed and pepper, tones down a little bit and some melon emerges -- maybe even cantaloupe. I also wanna talk about the ginger note in Un Jardin Après La Mousson, unlike many other fragrances, the ginger in this is very natural; it smells like something right out of the spice cabinet, as opposed to something like BLV by Bvlgari which is a nice fragrance but has a very cloying somewhat synthetic smelling ginger.

Projection is high in the beginning as with many from the Hermes house. It tones down within 15-30 minutes to what I think of as the perfect sillage; about 6-8 inches from the skin but periodically rises off the skin and into the air. Longevity is 8+ hours on my skin and enjoyable until the end. I have yet to come across a Hermes fragrance that I hate or that doesn't give off this natural/earthy feeling. This is what I adore about this house, and many should take a closer look at this. You want something natural, or at least natural smelling.. go with Hermes......Seriously.

20th April, 2010 (Last Edited: 20th April, 2011)

Bois Rouge by Tom Ford

Another Tom ford fragrance with a very chemical opening. Not quite as bad as Japon Noir, but still smells bloody and rusty. After being on my skin for a few minutes it starts to smell like burning plastic and rose. The more I smell the more of a headache I get so I'm gonna wait until it tones down a bit before I can finish this review.

So here we are now, 30 minutes later.. toned down? Yes. Tolerable? Yes. Good? No. Now it smells like a smokey jasmine, mixed with burning plastic. About 45 minutes have passed now and it's well into the base notes where I get some sandalwood, and vanilla, but still notesand disturbing odors from the top and middle. I'll be scrubbing this one off my skin as I did with Japon Noir (which I meant to give a thumbs down)

Bois Rouge just isn't a good fragrance, at least not to me. If you're more into colognes and edt's than perfumes like I am, then stay away from this one.

19th April, 2010

Oud Wood by Tom Ford

Updating my previous review of this.. it is definitely more synthetic smelling than other Tom Ford offerings. To my nose, its opening and middle smells very similar to B*Men, only lighter and no sweet notes. I get that same sort of rubber, plastic, watery and coconut smell that I get from B*Men; add a little rosewood though. As it dries down is where I kind of want to scrub it off, as it becomes a very dry and spicy wood, smells slightly animalic in the base as well. Not a personal favorite, but an interesting collaboration nevertheless. Sillage and longevity are just mediocre.

18th April, 2010 (Last Edited: 31st August, 2010)

Japon Noir by Tom Ford

Japoir Noir first starts off as a lighter version of Obsession, the alcohol smell is quite noticeable in the opening, so try not to sniff for a few seconds. Afterward it takes on sort of a ginery/inky aroma. Very strange and different, it actually kind of smells like blood and rust. What I noticed about this stuff is that it gets stronger as it cooks on your skin, but only in the first 10-15 minutes. Those first 10-15 minutes were quite harsh to me, and overall Japon Noir gave me a slight headache. It's not a really bad fragrance, it just isn't for me; it's hard to dislike something so unique though, so my rating is neutral.

18th April, 2010

Bois Marocain by Tom Ford

By far the worst Tom Ford fragrance I have tried. Bois Marocain starts off as an in your face cypress. Pine cones, pine needles, sap, and anything else you would associate with pine and cypress rolled into one. Done very distastefully, projects a bit at first as most Tom Ford frags do. Somebody who likes fragrances like Tobacco Vanille will not enjoy this, unless you are a die hard cypress fan, and this may even push it for the fans. I scrubbed this one off my skin because I was so repulsed. All I can say is try before you buy; I give this an F.

Champaca Absolute by Tom Ford

Far too feminine for me. Champaca Absolute starts off with an insanely alcoholic smell then transforms into what smells like blowing bubbles. This smell of blowing bubbles lasts and lasts, and is just so boring. Once it dries a little more you can most definitely smell cognac; at this point I'd say it has redeemed itself from that harsh chemical opening. While the smell of "blowing bubbles" still lingers in the background, it's all that I can focus on during the middle notes. Thus far I hate the top notes, I am intrigued by the cognac in the middle but am distracted by the lingering chemicals from the opening. Onto the base, and IMO the only part that doesn't make this a "scrubber". I smell cognac, along with floral notes, vanilla, and amber. The cognac is by far the most dominating note in Champaca Absolute. Stays pretty close to the skin about 20 minutes after application. Not horrible, but more negatives than positives to me; who can resist the smell of cognac though? I give this a C-.

Piment des Baies by Miller Harris

Like the others I disagree on this being labeled a female frag, this is clearly a unisex fragrance. That been said.. in the opening Piment des Baies projects a little more than many other offerings from Miller Harris. At first it smells like a very zesty lemon, actually reminds me of Lemonheads (candy). Here's where I got confused and couldn't figure out what was happening I thought maybe some floral notes and that it was starting to smell feminine. I then realized it smells exactly like lemon cookies. Picture sugar cookies mixed with lemons. Not as zesty as the lemons in the opening, but lemons nevertheless. I do believe it smells a little more feminine at this point but it's still quite wearable for a man. Let it dry a little more and I smell a little ginger, much similar to the ginger in BLV, but close to the skin. From this point on (10-15 mins in) PdB remains a skin scent but a slightly stronger skin scent that many of the others from Miller Harris. Pretty good overall, longevity is 10+ hours but remember.. it's a skin scent. One of the better ones from Miller Harris indeed.

Daddy Yankee by Daddy Yankee

Quite good for a celebrity fragrance. Daddy Yankee is the opposite of linear and goes through several different phases that must be experienced first hand. From aromas like apples to vanilla to coconut and pineapple to chocolate and cinnamon to a fantastic sweet woodsy dry down. Daddy Yankee is on the A list for celebrity fragrances. If you've ever tried Perry Ellis -- 2008 edition I believe with the cloth thing hanging off the bottle, Daddy Yankee has a very similar opening to that. Pleasing, moderate to low sillage, decent longevity, sexy as hell, and completely inoffensive. This one is a keeper, and a great choice for a noob who's looking for something inexpensive and less usual than the typical Hugo's and AdG's to start off their collection. B+

14th April, 2010 (Last Edited: 13th January, 2011)

HisStory by Avon

Grassy -- often I like grassy frags, but not this one. Grassy, powdery, chemical smelling, sharp and offensive. HisStory is History for the most part, and thank goodness it is.

Its only redeeming quality is its nice sleek bottle.

14th April, 2010

En Sens de Bois by Miller Harris

The opening is quite masculine and projects very little as most MH frags do. I didn't particularly like the opening it seemed somewhat rotten and a mix of vetiver and incense that reminded me of Grey Flannel. Though within 5 minutes it tones down significantly and reminds me of an extremely toned down Grey Vetiver minus the citrus.

Ten minutes in and it becomes more floral.. dark floral though. It kind of switches back and forth from floral notes, to patchouli to vetiver but all with a woodsy base at this point. It's hard to detect what's going on because it's such a skin scent and nothing really projects. I tend to blow hot air from my mouth on the areas of my arm where I sprayed to get a little bit of projection and life out of it. "Life" I say.. En Sens de Bois, is pretty much lifeless.. but not terrible. It does have a decent aroma, but that's not enough for me. Boring.

13th April, 2010

L'Air de Rien by Miller Harris

Kind of a boozy at first; spicy, cinnamon, floral, accompanied by a sort of pollen like musk. Too many notes that I don't particularly care for, which makes for a fragrance that I could take or leave. Another skin scent from Miller Harris, only this one smells much better in the bottle than on my skin.

13th April, 2010