Reviews by The_Cologneist

Old Spice Wolfthorn by Procter & Gamble

Not too shabby Old Spice. Kind of reminds me of Escada Magnetism (dare I say). It's very fruity, but on the darker side, and also has a fizzy vibe, like a soda.

The down side.. there is a cheapness to it that I can't help but notice.. it's there and it's preventing this from being a good fragrance to wear out.
14th March, 2018

Polo Red Intense by Ralph Lauren

Picked up a small half oz bottle, glad I didn't buy anything bigger. Overall a synthetic peppery and tonka bean heavy scent, with some obscure fruit notes. I pick up on mandarin mostly, and perhaps cranberry, or some type of strawberry.. very faint though. Mostly dominated by tonka bean.

Just another mish-mash of everything that is already out, capitalizing on the original Red's success, which was a big hit for Polo. Hopefully the Extreme version will be better than the first 2.
14th March, 2018

cK In 2U Him by Calvin Klein

Decent opening, but boring. My question.. where is the cocoa?? The dry down is horrid, and becomes a scrubber for me. Not worth 10 bucks.

Reason I bought this. A friend said it's the sexiest thing he ever smelled. Well.. I think it's safe to say, he hasn't smelled much.

Gold Rush Man by Paris Hilton

Yawn. Another follower of 1 Million. An overly sweet tonka base. I sought this one for quite a while, and once I got it, wow so disappointed. Of course Fragrantica reviewers are raving.. well.. lol that's what I get for reading Fragrantica reviews. Paris Hilton for Men, and Just Me are both phenomenal releases, everything else is crap.

John Varvatos STAR USA by John Varvatos

Other than a cool bottle, this is very boring, unoriginal and uninspired, plus it barely lasts an hour. I'll try to give my bottle away.

Narciso Rodriguez for Him by Narciso Rodriguez

Simply brilliant. Daring, and sophisticated. A must try for any frag head.
03rd March, 2018

Starwalker by Montblanc

Good citrus based scent with a unique twist from the bamboo. Seems a little boring at first, but wear it a few times, and you'll notice there's nothing quite like it. Wear it too much and you may make yourself nauseous, it's just one of those fragrances..
22nd February, 2018

Legend Night by Montblanc

Very nice, but nothing that hasn't already been done 10 times. Reminiscent of La Nuit, Varvatos Vintage, Noir de Noir, Bvlgari Man Black, Jubilation 25.. you get the idea.

Now how does it smell. A berry, peppery, creamy, sweet, very sweet, almost cloying scent. Projection starts off big, but quickly dwindles down.

The guy who compares it to Memoire d’homme, I gotta agree, but only about half way, as this one is much much much sweeter.

If you like sweet frags like I do, you will enjoy this. I would wait till it finds its way to Fragnet and Ebay first though, before spending retail.
22nd February, 2018

Brut Revolution by Fabergé

Maybe I got old bottles, but this smells nothing like AdG or Unbound to me. This is more along the lines of L'eau D'Issey. It's a bitter, sort of salty, peppery aquatic. Actually it smells identical to Bellagio.

I find it to be flat, and boring. It kind of smells like just the base of a fragrance. Sort of how Mugler Pure Shot/Energy is, as it just smells like base notes.
09th February, 2018

Noir Exquis by L'Artisan Parfumeur

Toasted coconut, chesnuts, yum! This is a delicious gourmand that is nearly edible. It smells like authentic macaroons. With incredible lasting power and sillage. The dry down i could care less for though. In its final stages it becomes and ISO E overdose, or maybe it's really cedar? Either way.. it's boring, and woodsy as can be.. and did I mention boring? 1.7 oz is plenty, to last a long time.
09th February, 2018

Encre Noire à l'Extrême by Lalique

This is nothing like the original and Sport. I don't get any vetiver in here. This is a wet, muggy, incense. It has a humid quality to it. It's very niche-like, and a bargain for the going prices in terms of quality. However, in terms of wearability, it's something I seldom reach for. I would really have to be in the mood to smell like wet incense, cause that's what this is.

I've contemplated getting rid of my bottle on and off now for a while, but I think I'm gonna keep it, cause A. the bottle is gorgeous, B. it looks good with the other 2, and C. it's high quality. It's sort of along the lines of Dirty English, being an almost unwearable fragrance. I think they both smell excellent, but do I really want them on my skin?
08th February, 2018

Fan di Fendi pour Homme Assoluto by Fendi

Very deep woodsy and spicy. Reminds me of a perfect blend between Dsquared Potion and Dirty English.
31st December, 2017

L'Eau par Kenzo Wild Edition pour Homme by Kenzo

Don't like this at all. blind bought from a seller in the forum marketplace.

TBH, it smells like a dirty diaper for the most part. It someone has the opening of the original, but not as fresh and vibrant. It quickly fades into a weirdo, powdery, musky, synthetic mess.
26th December, 2017 (last edited: 25th December, 2017)

Eau de Rochas Homme by Rochas

Mehh I dunno with this one.

I was pretty stoked in getting a great deal on a big bottle of this, so I jumped at the opportunity. It's one of the few 90's highly regarded citrus fragrances that I hadn't tried.

The opening of this is gorgeous, it's hard to get much better. Citruses coming at you from every direction. Lemon, lime, mandarin orange. Within minutes though it's gone and becomes a bit more floral. By the 15 minute mark, I am left with this awful synthetic/chemical accord, I'm assuming a very fake oak moss. It's just nasty and doesn't smell real in any way.

In other words, I get 15 minutes of enjoyments out of this fragrance. Maybe vintage is better, or maybe just the same? I am not willing to put out the money to find out. I find this to be a pretty much overrated fragrance. Now if you want something that actually deserves hype, Bowling Green is where to go. Same vein of fragrances, same style, same verbena note, much better dry down, but still not a great dry down. I find that these older designer label citrus fragrances have some pretty bad dry downs, where they begin to smell fake and cheap.

If you can get a bottle of this for under 20 bucks (I paid 15 for a near full 3.4 oz bottle) then it's worth it. Top notes are great, and mid is pretty good too for so many florals to not smell feminine at all. I doubt anyone will say you smell bad once the base notes kick in.. you may not even notice what I am noticing. I am very critical in what I smell, and I am very through in the reviews I do, so people can know what they MAY expect.

So maybe it's just me? A lot of the reviewers, I notice, give this a good review for nostalgic reasoning. Which is too biased, and too unfair for others to read. It sways the reviews way too positive, and that's not what I'm about. All personal opinions aside, and no favoritism from me; this is simply an average fragrance, with a cult following.
05th November, 2017

Midnight in Paris by Van Cleef & Arpels

We BN'ers love it, but apparently others don't since its discontinued. This is a review on the EDP.

There really isn't much to say, except that this is one the most perfect men's fragrances ever. Make sure you like the note of iris though. Iris can come off smelling "makeupy" and that's what it does here.

This is a blend of 2 already outstanding masterpieces: Bvlgari Black, and Dior Homme. Superbly blended, with a smooth creamy finish. Long lasting, projects enough to turn heads, and sophisticated. This is a confident mature man's fragrance. If you see the EDP, snatch it up, because prices will just keep getting higher.

I just can't express how well blended this is. Along with one of the best dry downs I've ever smelled. It kills everything in performance too.
03rd November, 2017

Dunhill Edition by Dunhill

Hmm maybe all these guys are reviewing another formulation? All I get from this is a clove/pepper bomb, and I mean bomb! It's hard to detect any of the other notes listed. Gave my bottle away.. was only $20, fortunately.
22nd October, 2017

Blueberry by Demeter Fragrance Library

Too sweet, mostly, vanilla, with not enough blueberry. Waste of 8 bucks.

Concentré D'Orange Verte by Hermès

It's hard to do citrus better than Hermes, and JCE. Concentre takes all the pizzazz of the original Orange Vert, and adds the desired longevity, without mangling the notes. There are some off looking notes in the breakdown, but trust me, this is just a longer lasting version of the original.

Royal Mayfair by Creed

Certainly one of the better Creed's available.

Ya know when you love a fragrance that's completely out of your comfort zone?? But, you can't explain why. There's only a certain type of nostalgia there. That is how I feel with Creed's Royal Mayfair.

I am a HUGE rose fan, but if you're looking for rose here, you won't get much. Mostly a combination of pine and angelica, with some bitter citrus, and a hefty dose of eucalyptus up top.

Dress up or down with this one, and you will get complimented regardless, guaranteed.

Playboy VIP Platinum Edition for Him by Playboy

Imagine Axe Dark Temptation, but with way more tonka bean. That is this.

I find it overly sweet, and hard to wear, but smells awesome in the house as a room deodorizer, and for 7 bucks, I'm ok with that.

Relax by Davidoff

God this is good! Why is there nothing like this around!? The mini's can be found but that's all.

In a nutshell, this is a smooth Barbasol smell, rounded out by a smooth (yes, smooth) herbal undertone. TonyT's review is pretty spot on, and he sums it up in a few words. Not much more to add to this, except that it's a must try for any lover of fragrances!

Les Exceptions : Cuir Impertinent by Thierry Mugler

A boozy, bold, rich, big bodied leather. Although very boring, and common.
13th October, 2017

Dunhill Icon by Dunhill

Truly an excellent, underrated, citrus masterpiece, with excellent performance.

This is 4711 with class. The dry down is addictive.
07th October, 2017

Big Pony 3 by Ralph Lauren

Not gonna lie.. this would be really good if it didn't smell like glue.

The mint note is herbaceous and pleasing, not sweet and cloying like other mints. The ginger is done well, like real ginger, not like this lemon ginger concoction that most ginger's in designer fragrances smell like now.

After about 15 minutes on skin, the glue smell fades off. I'm left with a pretty nice creamy-ish citrus like smell, with that green herbal mint lingering. Sits very close to the skin, and after about 2 hours, it's completely gone.

05th October, 2017

DKNY Men (New) by Donna Karan

Simply put, this is Gucci by Gucci (bottles even look similar, one probably inspired the other) but with WAY more woods.

Cedar is the dominant note here. Typically I like cedarm but in this case, it just doesn't blend very well with the iris. The result is a somewhat sour woody/musky smell, with an inky undertone.

I only bought a small bottle, but I gave it away. Yuck!
04th October, 2017

Forza by Tonino Lamborghini

This is my first from this house, and to be honest, it smells really good. Very masculine, modern, chypre type of fragrance. Nothing extraordinary though. Has this really nice soothing menthol-ish smell after initial application. Kind of reminds me of Bowling Green, but not as good.

This isn't bad, it's just lacking that "oomph". Furthermore, it fails miserably in performance and longevity. 2 hours tops, with not much projection. Good though for the 10 bucks I paid.
16th September, 2017

Cannabis Santal by Fresh

Maybe that's why I don't care much for this, it's so heavy on the patchouli. This is one of the few fragrances I bought at full price, it's kinda hard to even find on sale, or discounted much. This is a bonafide A*Men, with more patchouli, and less gourmand. Although it is still extremely sweet, it's not "foody" sweet.

I do get a lot of sandalwood in this, but it's masked unfortunately with an array of sweet notes. Despite the note breakdown, I don't get chocolate, not very much, and there's definitely no rose in here. I do get a ton of tonka bean though, and yes it's the dreaded cheap smelling tonka bean.

I think the sandalwood is well done, and even the patchouli (although not my favorite note).. however the sweeter notes are cheap and synthetic smelling.

Projection is pretty strong, longevity, 6 hours on my skin, before becoming a skin scent and then going for another 4-6 hours.

Why it's called Santal and has no sandalwood in the note breakdown is beyond me.. I trust my nose though, and I definitely get sandalwood here.

What sparked me to finally review this, is that I've decided to sell my bottle on Ebay, to try and get close to what I paid for it. After 2 years of owning this, I've worn it once. I truly believe the reviewer below me, that this was reformulated, because it smells way more patchouli heavy, than gourmandish as it did when it first came out.

You be the judge.
03rd September, 2017

Tommy Tropics by Tommy Hilfiger

This is gonna be a fragrance that disappears quick, and goes for outrageous prices on Ebay. It's the type that somebody will smell at the mall or a kiosk, and love the top notes, but not buy a bottle. Then months or even years go by where they crave that smell, only to find it's been discontinued.

Tropics is not groundbreaking, but it's one of those scents, as described above, that leaves that impression that makes you wanna sniff it more.

This is aptly named. It opens up with a tropical, coconut, rum, mint, ozonic vibe, backed with a heavy green overripe banana note. It fades into a creamy vanilla fairly quick, and then it's gone within a couple hours.

This is very similar to Hollister Drift, and Diesel Only The Brave Wild, as well as one of the CK Summer's I can't remember which right now. For less obscure stuff, think Set Sail St Barts, only forget the lime. Think Creed Virgin Island Water, again with no lime.

Coconut, pineapple, breezy, pina colada. This almost smells like a tasty drink. However, lack in performance gives this just a neutral rating for me. Plus the fact that it has been done to death already.
31st July, 2017

Vétiver Fatal by Atelier Cologne

I wanted to try this for so long, I finally blind bought a decant.. and here are my thoughts. Green Irish Tweed meets Vetiver Tonka. It's uncanny. It's not sweet like Vetiver Tonka though, it's more on the green aromatic side.

All in all though, I feel it comes off smelling as little bit plasticy, which ruins a potential thumbs up for me. I think it's a try hard vetiver, and I see why it doesn't get much love from vetiver fans. Although it isn't bad, it isn't good either. Middle of the road mehh.
25th June, 2017

Eau de Gaga by Lady Gaga

Solid, very solid. Great longevity, but don't expect a strong dry down. The base which goes well into the 8 hour park on my skin, mostly consists of a light cedar note, though it may be sandalwood, or even a combination of the 2, it even smells slightly of oud. This is the base though, let's talk about the top. Well done! At first spray, yes it totally smells like Azuree Lime, as the comparisons suggest, but wait about 5 minutes and it smells very similar to Green Irish Tweed. 12 bucks a bottle for EDP concentration.. it's a no brainer to me. Blind buy worthy imo, if you like GIT, you will probably love this.
02nd June, 2017