Reviews by The_Cologneist

Memoir Man by Amouage

I'm thrilled to have been able to find a sample of this, and didn't have to blind buy a bottle. The notes looked amazing, and I know Amouage's quality, so that's why I was gonna blind buy. So glad I didn't!

It definitely smells like a lot of the notes listed. In a nutshell, this smells like Polo Modern Reserve, with better quality ingredients. The opening, I get a little mint, a lot of wormwood, a little basil, sitting on top of patchouli, leather and oakmoss.

It transforms into more of a grassy smell, like fresh cut grass. I like this part a little better, as it's more mellow and less pungent. After about 30 minutes, on my skin, this becomes mostly a skin scent, although I do get whiffs of mint and basil, projecting from a distance.

Not really my style fragrance. Though hard not to respect such a masculine fragrance with niche quality. To me, this is for an older gentleman, perhaps the 50+ crowd.
03rd September, 2016

New York Yankees by New York Yankees

Got a sample of this for free. It's pleasant, and not as generic as I was expecting, but still common. It falls into the same category with Exceptional for Men, Usher UR, Jovan Satisfaction, Chanel Edition Blanche, Eternity Summer 2015, etc., you get the idea. The opening is a creamy citrus with an underlining vanilla, possibly tonka bean. It does smell pleasant, but it's all over in about 30 minutes. The base is faint, and smells chemical. Not so much a chemical smell, but the feel it. It smells like no note in the base, just some fake accord, mish mash of I don't know what.

I guess at 10 bucks a bottle, it's not bad.
31st August, 2016

Lolita Lempicka Eau au Masculin by Lolita Lempicka

Wowwwww, OMG the dry down. The dry down is worth this one alone. A beautiful perfected dry down. This version takes the original, makes it more wearable, and makes the dry down more masculine, with notes of pink pepper and vetiver. I didn't care for this much at first, but it really grew on me.

If you wanna experience an amazing long lasting dry down, then look no further! Not many fragrance's base notes captivate me, this one did. Top 5 dry downs ever, for sure!
30th August, 2016

Gold by Jay Z

In a nutshell.. this has a sweet blueberry opening note, that fades into a creamy vanilla, but not overly sweet dry down. Very likeable, love at first sniff. Like the other reviewer though, this is without doubt a skin scent, and longevity is under 4 hours.

Still have my eyes open to find the Extreme version, with hopes it improves the performance.
27th August, 2016

L.12.12 Jaune / Yellow by Lacoste

The opening here is a zesty lemon, very nice actually. As it dries I get wafts a light leather note. I dig. It dries down to Lacoste Blanc pretty much.

It reminds me of a cross between True Religion, Lacoste Blanc, and Clinique Happy for Men. I paid like a buck 50 for a .27 oz mini bottle. No complaints.
20th August, 2016

Cigar Black Oud by Rémy Latour

The opening of this is pretty harsh, very pungent. As it dies down though, I do get a bit of Tobacco Vanille, but the vanilla isn't really a thing here. To me, this is more about a tobacco like accord, I get a pretty strong cinnamon note, as well as a ton of anise, although it isn't listed in the notes. It smells a bit animallic to my nose as well.

While it is the closest thing to Tobacco Vanille I've smelled, it's also very far from it. I regret making this purchase. Hopefully it'll get dropped, and I can sell my bottle for more than what I paid in the future.
20th August, 2016

David Beckham Beyond by Beckham

Reviews.. misleading to me (especially on Fragrantica). the nose behind this is a highly praised one, but the does that mean the fragrance will be great? In this case, no. Cheap ingredients, and obviously a budget to work with can't help Roucel make a great Beckham fragrance.

This opens with a lime, woods, cardamom combo. Then it dries into a same ole', same ole' boring tonka bean base.

The best part about this utterly generic, and boring scent is the bottle.

But.. for the $15 I paid for the bottle, I could use it to spray the sheets with.. it's a soothing smell to sleep with.
19th July, 2016 (last edited: 04th November, 2016)

Sunrise Men by Franck Olivier

With an astonishing number of positive reviews on Amazon, including 1 person who claims to own over 200 fragrances and puts this in his top 5.. well I just had to try this.

So glad I only bought a mini, doubt I'll even use this. The opening is short lived, it's all about the dry down which smells almost identical to Fierce. The only difference is it projects less, and it has a dirty-ish musky/powdery smell to it, but it's not too outrageous, though still noticeable to me.

Fragheads, don't follow the average Joe hype, this is mediocre at best.
19th July, 2016

Drakkar Essence by Guy Laroche

Completely revising my review.

This is actually a really good fragrance. I couldn't figure out where I had smelled this before.. then it hit me. Sean John I am King. Which imo has one of the best openings ever, Drakkar Essence takes that oening and extends it majorly, which is fantastic! Because if you've ever used I am King, not only do the top notes last a whole minute and a half, the entire fragrance lasts 30 minutes max.

Drakkar Essence is "essentially" Sean John I am King, with much better performance. Going from 30 minutes to about 3-4 hours.
12th July, 2016 (last edited: 05th November, 2017)

Bora Bora Exotic for Men by Liz Claiborne

What a great find this was! I decided to blind buy Bora Exotic for about $16 bucks for a 3.4 oz. I'm not blown away, but it's a nice change of pace in this one. upon first sniff, immediately I am brought back to Escada Sunset Heat for Men, a discontinued fragrance I used to own. It's very tropical. Not really sure the note on this, if I had to guess, I'd say kiwi on top, like in the original. There may be like a star fruit or dragon fruit note in there.. possibly even lychee, or some other type of exotic fruit. I'd say some citrus, possibly lemon or bergamot. After about 20 minutes I get a noticeable lavender note. Beyond that, it gets a little bit musky, and powdery but hard to tell notes since it's so faint.

I wouldn't say this is a safe blind buy, unless you've smelled Escada Sunset Heat, and you liked it. This is not something you can go out and test though, so blind buying is really your only option. Though I will say, it's very unisex.

Thallium Sport by Jacques Evard

To me, this has a lot of the original in it; but instead of traveling down the gourmand road, it goes the typical sport fragrance route, but with a little more sweetness.

When I first sprayed it on, I thought of Allure Edition Blanche, but with more tonka sweetness. To me, in a nutshell.. Thallium Sport is Thallium, but replace all the fruity notes with mostly lemon, tone down the projection, and longevity. Longevity is actually quite bad on this one. That doesn't bother me though, since this type of scent has already been "played out" to death. Not worth buying, stick with the original.

Anonymous by Thallium by Yves de Sistelle

Oh god, this one is bad. Thank goodness I was able to find a place selling samples cheap, and I didn't blind buy a bottle. To me, Anonymous smells like lemon pledge doused in sickly synthetically sweet tonka. As it dries it becomes a little bit more like the original Thallium for Men, but at this point, I am already repulsed. Do yourselves a favor, avoid this at any cost, not even worth 2 bucks a bottle. This is simply the brand capitalizing on the success of the original.

Paradise for Men by Alfred Sung

Bought this blindly based on the mostly positive reviews on here. I could have done without Paradise for sure. Although it isn't bad, it's quite boring; plus the cap is a pain getting off. Longevity is very poor too. This is said to have a papaya note, which I honestly don't get. I get a citrus opening, a bit sour, but not in a bad way.. just think zesty. It's like a zesty citrus slightly tropical opening with a soapy vibe as well. Dry down is very boring. A faint musk with faded citrus top notes. It's gone in 2 hours anyways.
11th July, 2016

Zirh Ikon Pure by Zirh

This is nothing like the unwearable Ikon. Although I did like Ikon smell wise, it was hard to pull off. Ikon Pure is much more versatile. A very dreamy citrus opening reminds me of Allure Edition Blanche. This dries down nicely.. a bit musky, vanilla, oriental smelling dry down, I can't say I get any vetiver, incense or patchouli though. The cap on this is not magnetic, although it looks the same as the original, it's a cheap plastic cap.
18th June, 2016

Hugo Just Different by Hugo Boss

To me, this smells like a stronger mintier version of Beckham Signature. Gets me compliments the few times I've worn it. I won't buy it again though.. too safe, and I already have many safe fragrances that I reach for before this.
18th June, 2016

Pineapple by Demeter Fragrance Library

Juicy, delicious, edible, sweet, canned pineapple. Longevity.. about 2 hours, maybe 3 on a humid day. Projection is actually pretty good, this does very well as a room spray if you don't wanna smell like pure pineapple. I enjoy wearing it around the house, and spraying it around me for my own enjoyment. It's probably (like most Demeter's) not something you'd wanna wear out. I paid 18 bucks on Fragnet for a 4 oz bottle, well worth it. You wanna smell real pineapple, buy this.. not that rip off Aventus.
13th June, 2016

Aventus by Creed

Maybe I got a "bad batch" - twice. I've sampled this twice, and no, not a spray on the hand, but full samples. My latest was a sample I chose that came with my Luckyscent purchase.

I just.. ugh.. I don't get the hype. The pineapple everyone raves about is barely noticeable. you want good pineapple go smell Demeter Pineapple, especially if Aventus rocks your socks, you'll go crazy when you smell the pineapple in Demeter. Aventus' dry down is just mediocre too. Smokey birch wood, maybe some cypress. It doesn't even smell like a signature Creed to me. The older Creeds have a metallic tinge to them, even the newer of the older like VIW.

Aventus does smell good, but not good enough to have its own sub forum. If any fragrance from Creed deserves a sub-forum, it's GIT.
28th May, 2016

Champion by Davidoff

I rarely give the big thumbs down, but this one deserves it. Note: if you see this on sale, don't be a dummy like me and give in. Although its quirky bottle is made well, and creative, and actually has enough weight (the 1.7 oz!) to pass as a weight.. if you actually care about how your fragrance smells, more than what the bottle looks like.. you'll avoid this at all costs.

Champion opens up with absolutely boring top notes, nothing interesting. Fresh and nice though, unlike its dry down. A slight powdery note in the opening makes me think it may be there in the dry down. All I smell is citrus, lavender, and oakmoss; and whatever note is making it smell a little powdery. Strangely about 10 minutes in, it starts to dry down smelling like an aquatic to my nose. This quickly dies off though, and it turns back into the most generic and synthetic smelling chypre you'll ever smell. You can look at the note pyramid and see right there, this is the epitome of chypre.. but shouldn't chypre's smell natural at least? Not Champion, a synthetic smelling chypre is just flat out hideous, and that's what you get here. Champion's only redeeming quality is as said earlier, a somewhat creative bottle design/packaging. I'm giving my bottle to my neighbor. One the worst smelling designer releases I've smelled in the past 5 years.
17th May, 2016

Rose Flash by Tauerville

I blind bought Rose Flash, and I'm sure glad I did. This is my first Andy Tauer fragrance both trying and owning.

Rose Flash opens with a strong red, fleshy, and jammy rose. The jammy quality makes it smell a little fruity, maybe like a peach or apricot. Over the course of an hour it becomes a little smokey as an incense type note sort of binds the rose together with the vanilla base. It finishes with a soft vanilla dry down, not too sweet, and still maintains a little bit of rose into the end.

Rose is the main note here, undoubtedly. My only regret.. I wish they made a bigger bottle of this, and I wish the price was lower. Don't get me wrong, this is a great quality fragrance.. but 1 oz? I mean come on, at least give us a value option of a bigger bottle, and since we'd be wanting a bigger bottle, knock some of the price off. I do realize that there is a higher amount of fragrance oils in this one, but not $60 worth for 30 ml. This is a fragrance I know I'm gonna wear often, and I know my 1 oz bottle is gonna go fast. That's compliments to the chef so to speak. Andy Tauer made a fragrance that I look forward to wearing each time the bottle gets into my hand. I just need more of it.
10th May, 2016

Encounter Fresh by Calvin Klein

I can't give this a thumbs down under the simple notion that it doesn't smell bad. It is very light though, and has very poor longevity and projection. Possibly the worst in my collection of over 175 bottles. Although I paid only 10 bucks for this 1.7 oz, and even at that price it makes a very pretty paper weight. Although this will indeed get some wear from me, when I want something very light and not to last long. so maybe on a day when I just wanna smell something briefly on myself, then apply another fragrance later on. To me, Encounter Fresh smells like a mix between Hugo (1995) and D&G Light Blue for men. The original Encounter is far better, but also very uninspired like this one, the only difference is the oud in the original keeping it a bit more interesting, but a poor oud note at that. The Encounter line has such a clever name, and could have gone places with the right ad campaign, as a sexy, seductive scent. Cheap craftsmanship and poor attention to detail will make this one become quickly forgotten. $10 bucks? Maybe a fair price, hell maybe even a ripoff at that. Save your money, do yourself a favor, get Light Blue or Hugo.. you'll be much more satisfied.
15th April, 2016

Five O'Clock Au Gingembre by Serge Lutens

Such a great opening here.. mmm. Tea, cinnamon, ginger. Reminds me of a better executed version of Samba Heat, a cheapy that shows it's worth its whole 10 dollar price tag. FOCAG by SL opens up beautifully. Unfortunately the dry down is just a mish-mash of synthetic amber and sweet tonka. Think 24 Gold's dry down, only weaker. A little bit of ginger coming through to the end. For the most part it's a bust to me. Chergui is win - win, because the dry down keeps me going. FOCAG's dry down is boring.. it makes me question myself "this is niche?"
08th April, 2016

Mesmerize for Men by Avon

Wow, no patchouli in the notes? Shocker.

Firstly, I've tried a lot of men's Avon fragrances, and most have smelled cheap in some way. Mesmerize starts off rich and bold, but after a few minutes, oyu can tell it's an Avon.

This opens up like a spicy, musky, chunky patchouli. In the blink of an eye it's gone. Surprisingly, I actually thought it was gonna last long. It dries down into that weird airy chlorinated water aroma that I commonly get from all Avon men's fragrances.

Who knows what fresh spices are in here, but to me, it smells like curry. That covers up the weird accord I talk about above. 2 hours down the road, I smell an unsweetened amber, musk, and still some spice.

Although the bottle may come off as cheap looking, I rather enjoy it. It stands out. It's very "early 90's" looking. Sprayer works well. Based on a 5 spray application, projection and sillage are both under par.
17th December, 2015 (last edited: 22nd March, 2017)

White Musk for Men by Jovan

Bought this after reading a post in the forums. This isn't really much of a special fragrance, very mediocre, but well done for its price point. Reminds me of a better version of Paul Sebastian Casual, it doesn't have that dirty musk, rather a fresh clean white musk. I don't get the apple or melon, but there has to be some floral notes in here, musk of course, citrus up top, and a little bit of spice, something like cloves. This is a good cheapy to have, to spray the room with, or my bedding.
13th December, 2015

Adam Levine for Men by Adam Levine

I agree with Bigbz's review. It's sad reading some of these reviews. Do you guys actually try these on, or do you just slander them because they're cheap celeb frags?

Adam Levine is not bad, but it isn't too special either. Cat piss or BO.. Nothing like that. Synthetic? Yes.. but so are most fragrances in this price range. There are tons of great celebrity fragrances though. Adam Levine for Men starts out with a citrus/tropical vibe, but quickly dries into a candy lime smell, with a musky undertone. Synthetic smelling as can be, it strongly reminds me of Royall Lyme, a candied lime and musk combination.

I paid 10 bucks for a 1.7 oz bottle. Let's face it, 10 bucks for a fragrance nowadays is a bargain. I'll probably use it quick though, but I won't wear it on days when I want to impress people. Because there's nothing impressive about this one.
07th December, 2015

Eternity Summer for Men 2015 by Calvin Klein

Am I missing something? On Fragrantica this is raved about, and on BN it's got 2 thumbs ups. It's popped up in a couple threads, and has been compared to a Hermes fragrance by a few. What??

Now usually I don't critique other reviewers, but I have to warn others, you're missing nothing here. Ya it's nice, but big deal.. so is every other designer that comes out. There's nothing special here, nothing different, nothing high quality, nothing worth owning a bottle of, which I regret purchasing even at under 25 bucks.

Most of us have gotten samples of Exceptional Because You Are from Fragnet. I mean you always get them with your purchase. CK Eternity Summer smells about 90% the same as that. Or, if you happened to have smelled Usher UR, or Jovan Satisfaction for men.. they are all about 90% similar. It also bears a resemblance (although less than the other fragrances mentioned) to Allure Homme Edition Blanche. I get the creamy citrus and peach note, I get the aquatic undertone, with maybe a light vanilla lingering underneath, and some white musk.

I'll gladly be the guy that ruins the perfect positive score, because to me, it's just not worth a thumbs up. Then again, I haven't tried any CK Eternity Summer flankers, like most of these guys probably have, and this one might stand out and be different, breaking the streak of boring aquatics.

To me though, this is a boring release. I will probably use the whole bottle because it is easy to wear, it's light, it does smell good too; and it does fit the bill for something to wear in the heat, when you want something more transparent that won't last as long, or project very loud.

Don't rush out and buy it though, because you're missing nothing.
09th November, 2015

Gap Established 1969 Inspire by Gap

I stumbled onto this and Gap 1969 Electric at TJ Maxx, blind bought 1 oz bottles of both. Not thrilled with the purchase, but it's they're both still better than most mall brand scents (Hollister, AE, A&F, etc.)

The opening here is very lemony, a little powdery, and yes lavender too, that's what I pick up on. It quickly gets sweeter and powdery, sort of reminds me of Dolce & Gabbana pH, without the tobacco. It sort of has this annoying spice note, kinda of smells like B/O. It dries down cheap and plastic smelling.. which ruins it for me.

I guess you get what you pay for, 7 bucks. It kind of has that barbershop smell, but it really goes wrong into the dry down. Having a green package, I was expecting a more green scent, but that isn't the case at all. As it stands now, I am not liking this at all, but maybe my mind will change after more wearings.

If you do stumble across these at the discounters, go with the blue bottle entitled Electric. It's far more unique, with a sweet citrus opening, and an herbal dry down, it also doesn't smell cheap and synthetic like this one.
03rd November, 2015

Individuel by Montblanc

I have never smelled Original Santal, so I can't compare with that. I do however own Joop! and I think out of every fragrance I've smelled and owned, or currently own, the most similar one to Individuel is Joop! for sure.

I've read a lot of reviews on Individuel and not one person has said how in the opening this smells EXACTLY like marijuana, and good pot too lol. I love the natural smell of marijuana and anything that smells like it, even for 5-10 seconds like this does, gets good marks for me. After about 10 seconds, the marijuana smell is gone, but that first 10 seconds is bliss for me! It quickly fades into Joop! pretty much but with a heavy citrus on top. In Florida, it's common to see a flower called Lantana. I'm no expert on the flower, but there are hundreds of species of them, the most common here will be orange, yellow and maybe a little red in one bud, with multiple little flowers creating a dome shape (google it lol), the leaves on the plant are sort of furry, and have a citrus aroma too as the flower has a highly potent citrus smell that is hard to ignore. It's aromatic, you can smell from the distance, and for the most part, it smells like a blend of mandarin or oranges, lemon, maybe a little lime too. A unique flower to look at, with an amazing smell, to me Individuel has an accord that smells identical to this flower. It smells like this for a bit, that sort of reverts back to that marijuana smell I got from the opening. This is all going on under that base of Joop!. That's about the best way I can explain it.

Performance wise on me, not nearly where Joop! is, I get a good 10 hours with Individuel, but a very soft last 5-6 hours, making this pretty much a skin scent after 4. Projection is great in the first 30 minutes to an hour, but after that, I forget I'm even wearing it. No sillage, no wafts, not even on hot days, the humidity did nothing to help this one project more. I gotta find where I sprayed it and bury my nose deep into it to get something.

I do think it's a better, more wearable Joop!, Joop! is fun, but very loud, although not dated in my opinion for its time. I'm glad I found Individuel, and I look to try more from Mont Blanc, as this was my first bottle from the house.
30th October, 2015

Spirited by Perry Ellis

Pleased to be the first to review this completely mediocre fragrance. Let me start by saying I love the bottle, It's mostly red, sprayer works great. I got the 1.7 oz, and it's not a bulky awkward shaped bottle, it fits nicely in the hand and even better on the shelf. I paid about 11 bucks for my bottle on fragnet, it's a tester, brand new of course.

Onto the scent.. This one really opens up like DKNY Red Delicious for men, a little more bland though, a little less of a juicy apple note. After a couple seconds I get some ginger, but not much. After about 10 minutes, I'm left with a very mediocre sandalwood/pink pepper combo, the same one that's been done to death in 20 other Perry Ellis men's fragrances. Very generic dry down, as I would expect from this brand.

Usually Perry Ellis does pretty good top notes, that only last a few minutes, and boring dry downs. The quality of their stuff though is better than a lot of designers, but they seriously lack in longevity and projection, and Spirited is no exception. 4 hours tops with longevity. Which by the way, it becomes more sweet with the tonka bean later on (but very faint), projection is close to average, but slightly below.

Conclusion.. if you can get a bottle for 10-15 bucks, it's a deal. If not don't bother. This a good scent to grab when you want something that's not entirely generic, because it is a little bit different, but you don't want your fragrance to last too long. Let's be honest, we love great longevity, but a lot of us love short lasting fragrances too, to fit the occasion. I have a couple in the 4 hour category, and this is one of them.
28th October, 2015

Moschino Forever Sailing by Moschino

This interesting fragrance name drew me to sample this. I was able to get a mini bottle on Ebay for pretty cheap.

Forever sailing opens with that common tangy sour fruit note (I'm assuming kumquat or some type of tomato leaf/citrus combo). Promptly the dominant mint note comes out, the sour citrus note fades and takes a back seat, and quickly I get lots of lavender behind the mint (within 3 minutes of application). Now I'm left with a mint, lavender, citrus, and some nice musky woods all at once. This one quickly develops into the scent it was made to be. It's not very unique, but it is different enough for me to not be able to compare it to anything right off the top of my head. There's a smokiness going on. Although the notes and composition isn't entirely unique, the fact that it's still aiming for an aquatic feel, without the typical aquatic notes, make it somewhat different.

As others have said, it does last long. Maybe just because the previous fragrance I had on my clothing, and now changed my shirt, put this on my skin, and am doing this review.. that I am finding this fragrance very refreshing (since the last one on my clothing was dreadful). In retrospect though, I don't think this is something I would buy, or wear very often, because it just doesn't suit my needs. It's trying to be a different type of aquatic, but to me it falls flat. It does have pretty good longevity for the style of scent it is. Typically stuff in this genre give me 4 hours or so, while this gives 6-8, possibly longer, but a very close to skin scent at that time. After a few minutes of application, the combination of notes here seem to clash, I think it's the lavender clashing with citrus and woods, a good perfumer could of done a better job blending the notes. It does challenge my nose though, and again it is different, but not entirely unique, as it smells like bits and pieces of many other fragrances. (Eau Frachie, Le Male, Bulgari Man, Terre d'Hermes, to name a few)

Giving this a thumbs up would be lying, because it's not something I could recommend. However, if you are looking for an aquatic that takes some risks, this is something you should check out.

Also, from a distance it smells different than close up. From a distance it's a very generic, although nice citrus, zesty, sort of sour type, while if you go for a whiff up close, you'll get the darker side of it, the lavender, the woods, and musk, almost like a patchouli too. The mint dies off within 10 minutes on my skin, not completely, but about 75% gone.

I'm confident with this review, as I have worn it numerous times. This wasn't based off of a sample wearing. I will likely finish the mini bottle, but I don't see myself buying this in the future.
26th October, 2015

Potion Royal Black by Dsquared2

On my journey for the perfect men's rose fragrance (under $60.00) I acquired a sample of Potion Royal Black.

At first I was in love, I almost went and bought a bottle immediately. After spending some more time with it, I realized this fragrance isn't for me. Royal Black opens with a beautiful modern rose note, similar to that in 24 Platinum, and Rose 31, that same sweet, almost more synthetic smelling rose. (because real rose actually smells a bit dirty, and these don't) It quickly transforms into a heavy, and I do mean heavy, smokey, very smokey, almost rubbery smelling incense and leather combo. Smells like something from the Smell Bent brand to be honest. It has a lot of leather, but the leather isn't my style as it's rather animallic. Eventually, and I mean hours and hours later, it evolves back into a rose top note with a vanilla undertone, I also get some coriander.

If you're looking for a bold rose fragrance, that's undeniably masculine, and won't break the bank.. this could be a good option.. just make sure you love smokey, leather fragrances. I think it's the combination of smoking incense and animallic leather that turns this off for me. 24 Platinum is my favorite rose fragrance in the under $60.00 price range right now.
16th October, 2015 (last edited: 18th October, 2015)