Reviews by The_Cologneist

The_Cologneist's avatar
    The_Cologneist

Adidas Ice Dive by Adidas

I pulled the trigger on a 3.4 oz of this recently. Not a big deal, cheap as hell, but who wants to be stuck with bottles just sitting around if they get no use. I own Moves which is quite nice, I've owned Dare, Moves Pulse, Adrenaline, and many other of the more expensive fragrances of there's... although they are all still cheap.

So I went with Ice Dive because the reviews looked the best for this. Boy was I wrong. This stuff is crap! Firstly. it only lasts about 2 hours, which is actually good, because I don't wanna smell like a bowl of cheap mint all day. Let's not go through all the notes, just what I get. Yuzu, yes.. a plasticy yuzu note opens this one. It quickly (emphasis on quickly) turns into nothing but geranium. Seriously.. this is a geranium monster! There's a soapiness there, maybe a little bit of patchouli behind it, but mostly just a ton of geranium.. which to me, geranium smells like a floral mint. Projection is pretty weak, and it just feels very cheap overall. I know body sprays that do much better than this. I don't pick up most of the notes listed here, except geranium, patchouli and yuzu. I certainly don't pick up on the notes listed from Fragrantica, which include kiwi, lavender, vanilla, mandarin.

Well, this one will probably be given away, or used as a room spray. I do plan on trying more from this line though.

01st April, 2014

McGraw Southern Blend by Tim McGraw

This one is quite a nice cheapy, but longevity is not very good. What we have in Southern Blend is a VERY spicy, masculine fragrance. Whiskey, tobacco, amber, leather, all big notes, all play a big role here. Violet leaf and lavender in the middle make it slightly floral, and there's some vetiver in the dry down, but not much. I would say this one focuses on the old barrel whiskey accord, this is the central note, it's very spicy, and it's very dominant, so make sure you like the smell of whiskey, or you won't like this.

I stumbled upon this gem at the end of 2009, and have been through several bottles. It's become a staple in my collection. It also gets compliments, but usually only within the first 20 minutes of wearing it, although I did wear it to a wedding, and received a compliment several hours into the night, so who knows. I do know that I can't detect it on myself whatsoever past the 4 hours mark, but it's inexpensive enough, so I can reapply.

22 March, 2014

Potion by Dsquared2

Although Potion is pretty loved once tried, I am gonna have to go against the grain on this one. It does have nice woodsy tones, I get the "pencil shaving" feel, which I actually like. It's peppery, but not too peppery. However, there is this subdued honey-like note in the background that just rubs me the wrong way, to be honest it smells like cat piss. This is not from trying it one time. I bought a bottle off somebody in the marketplace, and ended up swapping it after many many wearings. I tried to like this one, but it just didn't work.

20th March, 2014

Déclaration by Cartier

Declaration is about as animalic of a fragrance as I will ever wear. Even if you hate animalic scents like me, you may love this one. Hang in there for the first hour, you get a spicy cardamom, pepper and citrus domination. It settles into an exquisite floral, woodsy, tea & vetiver dry down. One of the best dry downs I have ever smelled. I highly recommend trying this one.

13 March, 2014

Benetton Energy Man by Benetton

Peaches n' cream? Way too much cheap smelling tonka in this one, way, way, way too much. The tonka meets a synthetic smelling peach accord, lasts about 4 hours before it gets into a cedar dry down. There's just way too much tonka bean here, it's off putting and nauseating. Want something comparable but actually decent, try Jovan Satisfaction for men, much more wearable, and similar.

12 March, 2014

Guess Seductive Homme by Guess

There's too many fragrances too similar to this. Guess Suede, Usher, CK Euphoria, Daddy Yankee, to name a few. I prefer Daddy Yankee the best because it doesn't have this synthetic suede note. Not to say Guess Seductive is a bad fragrance, more boring than anything, with better choices out there. I gave my bottle away, because I already have Daddy Yankee, which is a wonderful scent.

10th March, 2014

Kiss Him by KISS

Another cheap synthetic smelling version of the already very cloned, very synthetic smelling Le Male. This ranks up there next to 360 White, amongst the worst Le Male clones. So boring and redundant. Want a good smelling Le Male clone? -- go with Cuba Gold. It doesn't have the mint, and has a slight tobacco vibe to it, superb. Don't waste your money on this dreck.

21st February, 2014

Cuba Red by Cuba Paris

I seem to have a love/hate relationship with Cuba Red. The problem is that Cigar by Remy Latour just puts Cuba Red to shame, it terms of quality, longevity, projection, and anything else you can think of. The 2 scents are similar, but while Red turns into what smells like a dirty tomato to me, Cigar smells like an authentic hand rolled cigar, with a little bit of menthol. Back to Red though. I like it enough, but when I wear Cigar, it makes me appreciate Red much less. Red has horrible longevity and projection, which is rare for a spicy scent, even being a cheapy. But I guess for the price, it's worthy of 3 stars, you could always reapply. Cigar has much more going on and better covered in my opinion. The 2 are certainly similar. Do yourself a favor though and buy Cigar, you won't regret it, and for the price, it's far more complex and well done.

21st February, 2014

L.12.12 Blanc / White by Lacoste

Surprisingly a solid little citrus fragrance, with a great ruby red grapefruit accord. This one was just ok at first, then it really grew on me. In the opening I pick up on the grapefruit, paired with a sweet tangerine, cardamom, and rosemary, blended very evenly, with the citrus notes a little more on top. I'd say the grapefruit is quite synthetic smelling though, as it smells more like some type of grapefruit soda or citrus candy, as opposed to just grapefruit. The heart notes make the fragrance more floral, with a subtle blend of tuberose and ylang-ylang, but I also get some type of ginger like note. The base is your pretty typical cheap smelling cedar, although a little more depth here than other cheapies, as the leather and suede notes are quite noticeable, not only in the base, but far sooner. It makes for an overall citrus fragrance, with more substantial notes than the norm, and balanced very well, suave.. smooth. I was able to obtain a .25 oz spray from amazon for 5 bucks with free shipping. A great deal at this price, but certainly not worth retail. This does remind me of True Religion, and even Polo Sport, but with more citrus, and no moss. I hear this lasts all day on many people, not on me though, I get 4-6 hours, maybe 8 hours on a more humid day. Projection is about average. I will be buying a full bottle of this, once I use up my small one.

I look forward to eventually sampling the rest of this line, since it's long overdue. Hopefully this lineup is more promising than the horrible Big Pony line from Ralph Lauren.

18 February, 2014 (Last Edited: 03 March, 2014)

Burberry Sport for Men by Burberry

Burberry Sport is a pretty underrated fragrance. A simple sporty fragrance here. I get a blast of grapefruit and fresh juicy ginger in the opening, that dries down into a musky cedar base. Simple, yet a bit common. Smells similar to YSL L'homme to an extent, because of the juicy ginger note. When I say "juicy ginger", think the ginger you get when you buy those prepackaged things of sushi at some grocery stores; they come with these juicy ginger slices that are so good, you could eat them plain.

Longevity is often complained with this one, but I can't complain. I get 6+ hours usually, with decent projection.

17 February, 2014

Paul Smith London for Men by Paul Smith

Paul Smith London opens up with a dark coconut vibe, a heavy dose of green mandarin, violet, and a boozy note. This dries down to something along the lines of Polo Double Black, but without the coffee, it has that same sort of stuffy smell, mostly tonka meeting sandalwood. At some point in time it starts to smell a little like cat piss, but I can't seem to get enough of it.

This has been compared to Obsession Night, and I see the similarities to some degree, but for the most part, this is a pretty unique and unorthodox scent. Now discontinued and pretty hard to find, prices can get really high, I wouldn't pay more than retail for this one though, if you could find it. I was fortunate enough to find a bigger bottle of this a couple years ago for about 50 bucks, which was a great price. Longevity and projection are both excellent.

Vetiver by Guerlain

A great soapy, green, clean, vetiver. Ladies and gentleman, if ya wanna know what vetiver smells like, look no further. Guerlain Vetiver is about as "vetiver" as you're gonna get, while still staying fresh and clean. This stuff is an instant classic. Sophisticated, and still very contemporary. A little citrus on top, a little tobacco in the base, but the central note here is vetiver. Longevity is fantastic, as is projection. Make sure you're confident though with this one, it's more for the older gentleman, but I think anybody can pull it off. I am almost 30, and it works very well on me.

Cuba City Hollywood by Cuba Paris

Cuba City Hollywood really smelled very similar to something to me. I purchased a 1.17 oz bottle blindly, for cheap enough, something like 4 or 5 bucks. It has the potential to be a great scent, but it just lacks so much depth. Longevity is pretty bad, maybe 3 hours tops, and projection is weak after the first 2 minutes. Smell itself.. To me.. This smells like a Black & Mild cigar, almost spot on, in the opening, but then this boring bergamot basically takes over and flattens out this bold vanilla/tobacco/spiced opening. It wouldn't matter either way because longevity is so bad.

Though I'd say, if ya really love the smell of Black & Mild's and you wanna smell like that for a low price, and don't care about reapplying, this is what you're looking for. For me, it just served as a room spray, and now it's gone. I have no intention of buying it again.

Comparisons.. Imagine a much darker and more resinous The One by D&G.

Clean Shower Fresh for Men by Clean

Tony T turned me onto this great little hidden gem. Clean Shower Fresh is a high quality, long lasting, citrus fragrance, that's "clean", unique, and has amazing projection for something in this genre of fragrance. When I wear it, I think to myself "there has to be something similar to this" because it's actually really simple smelling; but when I go through everything I know, there is simply nothing quite like it, which makes it stand out and unique.

It opens with a fresh lemon and mint combo, it has metallic feel giving it a cooling effect, and a great black tea note in the dry down. It reminds me a little bit of Eau Maximum by Nickel, and Creed Silver Mountain Water, combined, only more simple. Oh ya, and what a compliment getter this one is, nothing but positive feedback all day. It's becoming harder to find now unfortunately.

09 February, 2014 (Last Edited: 19 April, 2014)

L'Instant de Guerlain pour Homme by Guerlain

I much prefer LIDG to LIDGE. It's lighter, there's more citrus, but it also lacks in longevity and projection. The Extreme version is really just amp'd way up on the patchouli note, a note that I really don't care for. This one is more subtle, great natural smelling cocoa note, patchouli is there, not as heavy, some bland citrus notes in the opening. The cocoa and patchouli are the star players here.

In a nutshell.. it's good but it could be better. The intense version attempts to make it better, but in my opinion, it fails. The best case scenario.. just go get Dior Homme Intense, a fragrance that actually lives up to its hype.

02 February, 2014

Intimately Beckham Men by Beckham

A very nice blend of incense, nutmeg, violet, and citrus, with a sandalwood dry down, and a touch of amber. The name stays true to its character, as this one is very "intimate". You really gotta be close to get this one, and unfortunately, it only lasts about 3 or 4 hours. It's cheap enough though, you can find 2.5 oz bottles for 15 bucks, which is a good price. This is a good one to wear before getting really close with your partner, or laying close to them in bed, that's just my opinion.

31st January, 2014

Gentlemen Only by Givenchy

I finally tried this fragrance that gets some love, but never really any hate. Well.. I absolutely hate this one. The opening is familiar to another discontinued scent I am no fan of, yet that has its following, that being Polo Explorer, in fact they are very very similar in their openings. Gentlemen Only settles into a powdery, Spanish leather type accord in the base, and lasts for hours like this. It kind of smells like a dirty diaper really.

Heads up, try before you buy.

27 January, 2014

The Natural by Gap

The Natural is an exceptionally nice, simple, and underrated citrus scent. In the opening, I get this candied lime note that just smells so edible. I slightly pick up on the vetiver behind it, a very clean and slightly soapy vetiver; but the lime/citrus really dominates this one. It stays fairly linear throughout, although the vetiver note becomes more noticeable as it dries down. About 10 minutes or so into it and I get a weird note, it almost smells unnatural; but after doing some research, I found out it is caraway... ya definitley caraway in here.

Surprisingly, this one lasts 8+ hours on me more times than not, because when you initially put it on, you don't expect it to last. If you see this one for a low price, I wouldn't hesitate to blind buy it. I blind bought mine a few years ago for 7.99 for a 3.4 oz, and I have no regrets. Prices have shot up a bit (to the 30-40 dollar range) on ebay, and I still think that is worth it.

20th January, 2014

A Taste of Heaven by By Kilian

This is quite a nice scent, unfortunately with a steep price. The only By Killian I have tried, to date, and a sure winner to me. It is definitley very similar to Caron's Pour Un Homme, but much smoother. Lavender and vanilla are the key notes here. I get a tonka dry down, instead of that nasty cheap mossy musky one from Caron's. Too bad this has to cost so much!

19 December, 2013

Ed Hardy Born Wild For Men by Ed Hardy [Christian Audigier]

Such a strange and fun fragrance is Born Wild. It comes off as a bubble gum type smell with apples and pepper. The bubble gum vibe is really authentic, like the gum from the tree, not like some synthetic fruity mess. This scent slightly reminds me of Polo Modern Reserve and Michael Jordan for men, but much less mature. Longevity is around 7-8 hours on me, and projection is about average. Certainly one of the better Ed Hardy scents as others have noted, but that doesn't say much.

18 December, 2013 (Last Edited: 19 December, 2013)

Villain for Men by Ed Hardy [Christian Audigier]

I really jumped to conclusions too fast with Villain. Ed Hardy Villain is a very nice gourmand, similar to The One, but with more power. Where as The One is more oriental, Villain is certainly more gourmand.

Villain reminds me of several fragrances. Versace Blue Jeans, Mandarina Duck Black, Samba Kiss Me, The One. Up top, I get this creamy lemon/apple pie note, with crust and all. Very gourmand and very sweet. 2 hours later - by the base, I basically just get amber, along with some sweetness there, smells something like vanilla, but not quite.. maybe more of a benzoin type note. There's a little spice there, but there's definitley a noticeable nutmeg note, which contributes to its whole "lemon/apple pie" thing going on. I do enjoy the smell, but this is very easy to over-apply, which, in my case, contributed to my hatred for this scent at one time, as I found it sickly sweet, and overly cloying. I'm not a big fan of amber, but it's actually quite nice in Villain's dry down; though it's gone within a couple hours.

For me, designer fragrances with amber (especially of the gourmand genre) are hit or miss, usually miss. Villain is a hit for me. A lot of it is its cheap price tag too. I got a 1 oz bottle for 10 bucks shipped. 1 oz of this will last me a long time, with my large collection. I don't reach for it very often, but I did use up my .25 oz mini bottle, so I felt buying another small one was justifiable.

As for my rating.. I am teetering between neutral and thumbs up. The first time I reviewed this, it was thumbs down, but my opinion has changed significantly. Villain is a nice, safe gourmand, although nothing really special. However, I would be lying if I said it wasn't a good solid fragrance. One thumbs up, but definitley not 2.

10th December, 2013 (Last Edited: 26 March, 2014)

Hearts & Daggers for Men by Ed Hardy [Christian Audigier]

What ever was I thinking. I quickly updated my initial review of this garbage of a scent. The first time I put this on my skin, I thought it was marvelous. Like a creamy kiwi/banana milkshake.. but after a couple wearing, it just started to smell like a chemical/synthetic mess of mush.

10th December, 2013 (Last Edited: 18 December, 2013)

cK One Shock Street Edition for Him by Calvin Klein

Not too bad, but nothing to search around for. If you have smelled Fuel for Life by Diesel, you aren't missing much. Fuel for Life is actually much better, but if if you don't like FFL's beast mode projection you may enjoy this, as it's more tame. It is nothing reminiscent of the original Shock though.

Basically.. raspberry, mint, citrus, slightly aquatic, and a cocoa dry down. Fuel for Life meets Victorinox 125 Years Your Companion For Life. Longevity is pretty weak.. 3-4 hours at best. Projection is nice, average, 2 feet or so.

04 December, 2013

cK One Shock Street Edition for Him by Calvin Klein

Nothing like the original, boring, uninspired, and generic.

I'll put the "pro's" and "con's" here. I guess if ya like the smell of York Peppermint Patty's, that's a pro. well.. it's also a con, because you only get it for about a minute before it's gone. I definitely get the cocoa/mint combination in the very opening, but it quickly diminishes and all I get is boring citrus and tonka in the base. Tonka, tonka, tonka. What gives? I am so sick of these cheap tonka doused fragrances. Good ones like CK Shock, just cashing in on their investment in this case, CK Shock.. and putting out crap like Street Edition. The same thing that nearly ever other designer brand has been doing for the past 10-15 years or so. To me.. this dry down smells a lot like a scent I already own, only not as good. That scent is called 125 Years Your Companion For Life, by Victorinox. Long name huh? In 125 Years.. the fragrance (lol) you get the same cocoa, tonka, citrus combination, only it's less 1 dimensional, because it has a fantastic sandalwood note with it. But this isn't about 125 Years.. this is about Street Edition. I am frustrated with this one, and searched around a bit to sample it, because there was no way I was gonna blind buy a bottle of it and be stuck with it if I didn't like it. And guess what.. well.. there is really nothing to like about this one. Sure it smells nice.. I mean.. not many fragrances really smell horrible, or are unwearable. I'm sure Street Edition will find its market. Unfortunately, it's not me, and it probably won't be many, if any of us here on Basenotes, because we expect much more from our fragrances.

21st October, 2013

L'Eau Bleue D'Issey pour Homme by Issey Miyake

Fantastic!

What a great find this one was. Firstly, I have to thank a fellow Basenoter for turning me onto this one. There aren't many interesting designer fragrances left, and then I found L'eau Bleue, and it gave me hope again. It also reminded me how amazing cypress notes are, when done right.

L'eau Bleue opens up with a strong herbal aroma, as many others will say, for a lot of people, it's what makes or breaks this one. For me, it makes it. It's interesting, and captivating, and there's nothing sloppy about it. Heavy on the rosemary in the opening, but balanced out well with the lavender, cypress, citruses, and juniper, oh what a juniper bomb this one is! Juniper berry and cypress, the combination is intoxicating to me, very manly, and quite modern. Lots of woods and oakmoss in the base. Very long lasting, I usually get at least 10 hours with this one. Projection is pretty beast too.

The mastermind behind L'eau Bleue is Jacques Cavallier. Which means a lot to me, because he has made some amazing masterpieces; such as M7, Rive Gauche, Fuel for Life.

As for comparisons, nothing is quite like this one. It does however remind me of Porsche: The Essence, Lanvin Oxygen, and Norne by Slumberhouse.. ya I said it! If you like herbal, you love cypress and woods.. you gotta check this one out.. and hurry too, because it's getting more and more hard to find.

15 October, 2013

Curve Crush for Men by Liz Claiborne

"Hater's gonna hate."

I really get the citrus notes from Curve here, but with a more tropical feel. The pear note is very noticeable, and the mid is dominated by lavender. Aldehydes are also pretty strong in the middle. But, the base notes are so dull, I can barely smell them, honestly. It just seems.. so.. unfinished. A little musk, and some sort of powdery smell, accompanied by aldehydes, lavender, and maybe a little of the citrus and pear from the top. The base was done with little attention to details, that is for sure. Longevity is pretty poor, my skin is more on the oily side, and I usually get the best longevity possible with fragrances, but I don't get anymore than 3-4 hours with Curve Crush, MAYBE 5 hours on a very good day. Projection seems to be okay, although, it sits a bit closer to the skin.

The opening of Curve Crush is really nice, I like it the most out of the entire Curve line. However, the dry down just becomes synthetic smelling, diluted, and boring. A promising opening, with no finish. Another disappointment. However, because the opening is so nice, I still rate this one with 3 1/2 out of 5 stars.

I think this is a safe blind buy for the "average Joe" and a great scent for somebody in high school/college.

Pros: Same Curve DNA.
    Cons: Fragrance seems unfinished."

04 October, 2013

Agua Verde by Salvador Dali

Fig Brulee For Lack Of Better Words

Agua Verde is a tricky little devil. Certainly a simple fragrance, not much going on here, but it's very very VERY unique. There is nothing I know that smells like this one. Imagine this.. lemon, figs with burnt sugar on top (brulee), nutmeg, lots of nutmeg. What ya smell is what ya get, as this one is a very linear scent. It's a nice change of pace, but difficult to find when to wear this one. Longevity is 6 hours on me, every time. Projection is pretty average. And, as with most from this house, the bottle is unique.

Pros: Very Unique
    Cons: Difficult to wear"

31st August, 2013

Prada Amber pour Homme by Prada

Stunning Scent.

I like to put "similar to", but there really is nothing like Amber pour Homme. The Intense version is nothing like the original, so don't even waste your time.

Amber is a landmark in men's designer perfumes, in my honest opinion. An excellent combination of soapy notes, floral notes, and lots of incense. But, Amber.. where is the amber? I certainly pick up on none, but that's a good thing for me, because it's not a note I am fond of. To me, it basically just smells like lots of lavender (although this note isn't listed), and lots of incense. It smells like a modern Drakkar Noir to me. People say this is like an expensive high quality soap, and I couldn't agree with that more. That's the best way to sum it up. Unfortunately, longevity lacks a bit on my skin, and the "Intense" version certainly doesn't amplify it, it's an entirely different fragrance.

Ya want a good soapy scent? Ya wanna get compliments? This is the way to go. Prada's only really good men's fragrance in my opinion.

Pros: Unique, comforting.
    Cons: Longevity."

30th August, 2013

Set Sail Martinique for Men by Tommy Bahama

Boring, generic

Similar to: Nautica Voyage, Bvlgari Aqva, The American Line Navy/Liberty.

Every now and then, along comes a flanker that is just so bad. This is one of those times. I strongly believe this will be the last one from the line up, unless they can redeem themselves. St Barts was awesome, Very Cool was different, the original was pretty good, and South Seas was amazing. But, St Martinque.. just horrible.

The opening is a blatant rip off of Maruice Raucel's Nautica Voyage, although it smells more concentrated, like too much packed in there. It transforms into an overdose of the calone accord, picture the main note in Bvlgari Aqva, aka "watery" or "aquatic" notes. As if the overly aquatic top wasn't already bad, in comes an overly musky dry down, with a very poorly done musk note. Strangely I get a heavy dose of figs in the dry down as well.

I guess I'm in the minority with this one, I simply don't like it, and I wouldn't recommend anybody go out of their way to try and find it, as it's probably one of the harder to find Tommy Bahama scents. Though it has been flooding the shelves lately.

If you own Nautica Voyage, don't even bother with this.. take my word. Voyage is much higher quality and much more well rounded.

22 August, 2013

Banana Republic Classic by Banana Republic

A nice, casual, citrus/floral.

Classic is an appropriate name for this one. To me, this is a classic scent, or event classy. Sophisticated, refined, elegant; can be dressed up or down, yet very simple, versatile, and appealing to everyone. In fact, I don't know a single person that doesn't like this one. While it doesn't really garner compliments to me, because of its lack in projection.. those who I have asked to smell it on me, have given nothing but positive feedback.

Classic opens up with a lot of bergamot. Bergamot, bergamot, bergamot. Nothing but bergamot really. You wanna know what bergamot oil smells like? Check out this one. Within 10 minutes, the other notes begin to emerge. Still mostly bergamot, some other citrus notes, the smell of cotton, and then a huge blast of honeysuckle, about 30 minutes in. Along with the honeysuckle, a nice dose of musk that ties the base together. It stays like this for a good 8-10 hours on me, but projection is pretty weak. It smells really similar to something that I just can't quite put my finger on; I am tempted to say Versace pour Homme.

If you can find it on sale at discounters, it's a good, safe blind buy. I was able to get a 2-pack of 1.7 oz bottles at TJ Maxx for 20 bucks. Great deal.

Pros: Simple, versatile, longevity.
    Cons: Projection, availability."

08 August, 2013