Reviews by The_Cologneist

Empire by Trump by Donald Trump

Very underrated juice. Long lasting. Opens like 212 VIP, dries down like 1 Million's opening.. ya I said it. It literally smells like the amazing opening of 1 Million in its dry down phase. Maybe these are just the mid notes? Because approx. 5-6 hours after application, I get some musk and amber, which would be the 3rd tier of this fragrance that I smell.

I don't judge a fragrance by its label, I judge it by its smell. Those who don't, you're missing out on many good ones.

Prices online range from $15-30 for this fragrance, and I would say it's worth every penny.

If you're looking for something entirely unique though, you won't find it here. Maybe if you haven't smelled every designer release there is. If you're like me, and you've smelled just about everything, you'll recognize its familiarity.
15th February, 2017

Baldessarini Strictly Private by Baldessarini

A wonderful opening, that gets ruined by a poopy diaper smelling dry down. Sad, sad sad.

This reminds me of Terre d'Hermes, but in a more oriental way. Until the dry down hits.. then it's just a horror show.
06th February, 2017

SoCal Cologne by Hollister

I think I would like SoCal more if I tried it years ago.

This basically opens up the same as Diesel Only The Brave Wild, or CK One Summer 2014. Lots of sugary pineapple giving off the pina colada vibe. There could be coconut there as well. A soft suede dry down, which approaches quick in the mid, before a soft vanilla base.

I'd like it more if it were stronger. This is an EDC and it performs like one. It doesn't project much, it doesn't last more than 2 hours, and I find myself reapplying it all day. It smells like a good suntan lotion really.

I do like it smell wise, better than the other 2 mentioned, because this one actually has an oriental vibe due to the vanilla dry down. Well blended.

Neutral from performance. Spend a little more.. or maybe a little less since Hollister "cologne" prices are highly inflated. Get one of the other 2 mentioned, get better performance.
29th January, 2017

Bentley for Men Azure by Bentley

Very mediocre. Although not a listed note, I get a lot of cedar or maybe a rough sort of sandalwood. Tons of lavender in the mid.

The opening is common, a bluish/green type of fragrance. Similar to Cool Water. It's fresh and a bit aquatic.

I would probably give it a thumbs up, and possible even get a bottle if it had better performance, and a nicer dry down. To me, this dries down smelling way too powdery and musky.. smells cheap and synthetic. Almost a thumbs down for me, but not a total waste.

Longevity is pretty bad, 3 hours tops, and that's on a good day. If this lasted longer and didn't have such a poorly made dry down, it may be a higher neutral.. as it stands now, a low neutral for me, almost a thumbs down.
27th January, 2017

Mankind by Kenneth Cole

Ugh.. revising my review.. this smells like absolute piss! Like no joke.

I blind bought a 3.4 oz bottle. The opening is ok, for the whole 90 seconds it lasts. After that it just smells like old piss in a diaper.. and that's no exaggeration.

One of the worst fragrances I've smelled in a while.

This fragrance does remind me of Avatar, Fierce, Cool Water, and Tommy. All fragrances I like. Mankind is disgusting though.. buy at your own risk. i will be getting rid of my bottle ASAP.
24th January, 2017 (last edited: 01st February, 2017)

Club de Nuit Intense for Men by Armaf

So glad I bought this. Finally a good Aventus clone. I like layering this with Pineapple by Demeter for the ultimate Aventus (pineapple heavy batch) clone. The combo of the 2 bottles is under 40 bucks.

The birch wood dry down on this is a bit harsh, but if I layer it with the Demeter Pineapple, it tends to work its magic on the dry down of this.

Longevity, solid 6-7 hours. Projection is very good.

Ferrari Vetiver Essence by Ferrari

Mostly a very soft green/citrusy vetiver. Projection is light, longevity is moderate. I get virtually none of the notes. A very slight coffee like aroma.

If I had to pick a vetiver to compare it too.. I'd say somewhere between Encre Noire and Grey Vetiver.. perhaps even Sycomore. Despite having sweet notes, this is nothing like Vetiver Tonka, so don't expect that.

I currently own this, Silver Essence, and Essence Oud from this line, and Silver Essence is by far my favorite. I feel this one and the oud one, i could have done without.

Only The Brave Wild by Diesel

This is simply a stronger version of CK One Summer 2014. Only the Brave Wild has better performance, better longevity. I even did a side by side comparison and they almost identical. Actually I think the CK I like more, smell wise, but the longevity on it is sad. This one actually has decent longevity for a fun, beachy, Summer fragrance.

Hugo Extreme by Hugo Boss

The original Hugo is one of my favorite designer fragrances of all time. It hits me from so many angles, ultimately a fresh green scent though.

I would have to agree that the Extreme version is a bit redundant. I see few differences. The opening isn't as loud; the base, I get a bit of cinnamon. It feels like there's less going on, and I think the notes prove that.

All in all, I still give this a thumbs up, because it's something I know I will wear. Although I may just purchase the original instead of this, unless this goes down in price more. Cost: I paid about $55 for a 3.3 oz bottle, alternatively, I paid about $40 for my 5 oz of the original. I guess I will have to compare them more in the performance department to see if this one is worth the purchase again.

New West for Him by Aramis

I absolutey LOVE the opening of this. It starts off as a chypre with an aquatic thing for the first 5 minutes before it gets more green, more minty, with this awesome smokey smell of incense in the background. It hits you from many angles, but it's also smooth and balanced. Smokey, soapy, citrus, aquatic, chypre.

The dry down really sucks though, to me. It's like a stripped away resinous unsweetened amber.. kind of smells like beeswax, without any sweetness. Nothing from the top is even noticeable by the end. Bummer.

That said, since dry down is the longest lasting part of most fragrances, I have to have this nasty base on my skin for hours to come, so my rating from a potential 2 thumbs up goes to a neutral.
23rd January, 2017

Potion Blue Cadet by Dsquared2

Got a 1 oz bottle for about $13, so thought I'd bit the bullet..

To me this smells very similar to Mont Blanc Starwalker, but just not as good. Blue Cadet isn't as smooth, perhaps a bit more floral too. I can see why many would call this one boring.. it feels a bit 1-dimensional. However for a citrus heavy fragrance, it has some big power and good longevity in the first hour.

Ultimately though, it falls flat, and is boring. bottles is awesome looking too though.
23rd January, 2017

Fahrenheit Absolute by Christian Dior

I do like Absolute, but it's still no Fahrenheit. To me, Absolute takes the gasoline accord out, and amps up the violet note, and makes it darker. It sort of dries down how Prada Amber Intense opens.

Overall it's nice, but I don't think it's worth retail price, and this one is hard to find one sale. I paid about $68 for a 1.7 oz bottle which is pretty steep. It would be a high thumbs up for me, if you could get a bottle in the $40 range.
10th January, 2017

A*Men: Les Parfums de Cuir / Pure Leather by Thierry Mugler

I am sort of an A*Men fan boy, I own most of the line. I love the bottles, the fragrance structure, and the original A*Men DNA (an already brilliant scent) in most of their stuff.

Pure Leather is without doubt the closest to the original A*Men. The leather note isn't as nice as it could be, but it blends well. Despite what others may say they smell, I do happen to get a lot of leather out of this.

This is the original A*men, without the tar note, without the heavy chocolate fudge, and with an added hefty dose of leather. Now whether you like this type of leather or not is your choice.. I find it a bit sharp and "rough around the edges". I would love to see this re-released with a better leather note, like if it had the leather from John Varvatos.. it would be to die for!

Still a solid choice from the line.
07th January, 2017

Lalique pour Homme Equus by Lalique

At first I was disappointed as I got this recommendation based on another fragrance that I adore: Fou d'Absinthe.. I can assure everybody that they have no similarities.. which is unfortunate.

So I blind bought this based on what I thought it was gonna smell like. So obviously at first I was disappointed, but it really grew on me fast.

To sum this up fast.. this basically smells like a combination of lemonade, and iced tea, like Lipton Brisk or something. I haven't read anyone get that from this, but that's what comes to mind for me. There's some spice in the background, pepper or something.. and some woods in the dry down. To me this is nothing even remotely resembling a pine fragrance, or a forest.

I should note that if you get a bottle of this.. don't be confused. It says "Equus" no where on the box, at least on the current ones. It looks the same as Lalique pour Homme from the outside, until you see the bottle which has a horse/knight head.

I do like Equus, but I can't see myself reaching for it often.. To me there are much better options from this amazing fragrance house.
04th January, 2017

Royall Bay Rhum by Royall Lyme of Bermuda

One of the better bay rum's out there. It does have sort of a "bandaid" smell in the background though, but you may not notice it. The bay leaf and cloves are balances out evenly.. I don't get menthol though. I also get some extra pepper.. more than other bay rum's, this one is a tad spicier due to that added pepper.

Still though, I haven't found "THE" bay rum, but this one is as close as I've come; aside from Clubman's Virgin Island Bay Rum, which I feel is the best smell wise, but lacks severely in performance.
31st December, 2016

Boss Orange Man by Hugo Boss

This isn't bad. Mostly just a creamy vanilla, with some red apple/orange smell. It doesn't smell overly sweet, or synthetic, despite other reviewers. I don't really get any incense.. mostly just vanilla. Nice change of pace though from the typical tonka bean.

It may not be a generic tonka bean, but yes it is still a bit generic.. well maybe just a bit simple. Pleasant though.

Encre Noire Sport by Lalique

Fantastic, somewhat complex vetiver, that doesn't stray far from the original.

Personally, I prefer the original, because of the dark, inky, gothic vibe.. not many like it, especially at this price.

Encre Noire Sport is no slouch though. It opens up similar to Grey Vetiver, with the more citrusy take on vetiver. After it settles in, it completely changes into a dominant lavender, which can't go unnoticed. It smells like dryer sheets. By the 3-4 hour mark it warps back into the original Encre Noire DNA, a bit lighter, without the heavy dark vibe.

I think I actually get better longevity with this version too. I wasn't really set on such a blast of lavender in the mid, especially to the point where it completely changed the fragrance to me, but it's nice. Still, I prefer the original, but for the price, you might as well own both.

Once the newer version drops down in price some more, I will get that one as well.

Carven Homme (original) by Carven

To me, this is 60% Gucci Envy, 30% CK Obsession, 10% Davidoff Zino. As much as I dislike Zino, it manages to take the good out of Zino and combine it well with spices and aromatic notes.

I do own a bottle, and although I rarely reach for it, it's undoubtedly a high score for me. Quality, well blended, timeless fragrance. Price is still good, worth a blind buy, even if you don't plan on wearing it often. Sillage and longevity are mediocre for me, around the 5 hours mark.. this doesn't matter though.

Even if you own 200+ bottles like myself.. there is only one Carven Homme.. even if you wear it once a year, buy a bottle, before they are gone entirely, and going for 200+ on Ebay, because I guarantee it to be the case here in a few years with this modern classic.

L'Eau Bleue d'Issey Eau Fraîche by Issey Miyake

The original is a groundbreaking designer fragrance imo, and this flanker is pretty solid too. My biggest gripe is longevity though, I get 2-3 hours max. The spearmint note is really nice, haven't found a mint note this good since Live Jazz. The opening is similar to the original but only for a few seconds, before it becomes mint and citrus dominated. The rosemary is much more toned down than the original, and overall it's more fresh as the bottle says.

I loved the original so much that I was considering blind buying this at retail when I heard it was coming out. Though I knew if I waited I would find it on sale. Unfortunately for a couple years, it was nowhere to be found, until recently. As I picked up a big bottle for about $25, I don't think I would pay more than $30 for the 4.2 oz.
25th December, 2016

Flight Sport by Michael Jordan

Trust me Bn'ers, this is one of the worst smelling fragrances out there. Other than the fact that it smells fresh, it has no redeeming qualities. It doesn't last long, it doesn't project, but why would you want it to? It smells disgusting! I can't even describe notes.. it's like somebody took plastic and melted it down, then poured that nasty smelling anti dandruff (T-Gel?) shampoo on it. This doesn't smell like something you wanna smell like, trust me. Avoid at all costs, even if somebody hands you a bottle, just walk away!

It will earn an achievement from me though. Top 10 worst designers of all time. Not far behind is Chrome Sport.
06th December, 2016

Dunhill Fresh by Dunhill

This smells like Nautica Voyage mixed with tennis balls, or "that new car smell" spray or air freshener's. Fresh is ok, but I got rid of my bottle because I never wear it. It's a run of the mill aquatic with a twist to it.
27th November, 2016

Lacoste L!VE by Lacoste

Lacoste Live I find to be very pleasant smelling. Non offensive, fruity and fresh. to me it smells similar to I Am King, only deeper, darker, and toned down. Not to say this is a dark fragrance, because it isn't.

Notes.. I don't really get lime. I do get the aquatic notes, and green notes, and licorice more into the heart. I get a tangerine like note mixed with subtle woods over a light tonka bean background. More so, the sweetness from tonka bean, not as much the smell, which is good, since I don't really like the smell of tonka bean. There's also this awesome incense smell, but it's pretty light, and you really have to stick your nose into the skin to smell it. The licorice note isn't too noticeable, it actually smells like licorice too and not anise.

I do like it, but it's a bit played out. The whole fruity thing, using intriguing notes to lure you in. It's pretty generic really, and the darker side of it isn't pronounced enough to give it that niche like kick that us frag heads desire and crave, as most of us are sick of the generic stuff.

The worse part is projection and longevity are pretty much non existent.
26th November, 2016

Émeraude by Coty

Smells like a feminine powdery version of Habit Rouge. This should have been called Headache, because that's what it is.

Rogue Man by Rihanna

This is compared to The One. I scored a bottle for under 10 bucks. The bottle itself is probably the highlight of the fragrance. The fragrance is good, but a bit generic to me. It definitely has a strong resemblance to The One, but it's much less smooth. To me, (although not listed in notes) I get a hefty dose of leather from mid to end. A predominantly amber dry down finishes this one off. It sits close to the skin, and longevity is around the 5-6 hour mark on me.

I prefer The One, better yet, The One EDP.. not because it's pricier, because it's simply better. However Rogue is not bad, very wearable, and worth a try if you can't afford The One.

Black Soul Imperial by Ted Lapidus

Rarely have I gotten the bubblegum smell that people say they get from other fragrances, but I actually get it here in the opening. Bubblegum meets 1 Million, less sweet, and more powdery. As it dries, I get a sharp woody note which I presume is the cedar. I really don't get much of a coffee vibe here, as others allude to, which is why I blind bought this one. I guess maybe I am spoiled by such authentic coffee notes like in Pure Coffee..

To me, Black Soul Imperial is a let down. My first bottle from this house, and really the only one I had any interest in, except maybe the original to this as well. Though I don't see myself buying another from this brand again. I find the quality and craftsmanship to be below average. I also find that the smell is a bit redundant.

Success by Trump by Donald Trump

Trump Success really rubs me the wrong away. It has some good, the peach, nectarine, apricot opening, but it's heavily clouded by a horrible fake aquatic (not calone), chlorine water, "wet hair" note. You know what I mean. The same that's in the dry down of Unforgivable, Wall Street, and many others. The smell of Elmer's Glue lingers in there too.

Even if it didn't have these drawbacks, it would be oh so boring, barely enough for a neutral. These gross smelling accords give it a thumbs down for me, for sure.
13th November, 2016

Tom Ford Noir Extreme by Tom Ford

I can't believe nobody has compared this to Varvatos Vintage. They are so much a like. Except Noir Extreme becomes an amber beast in the dry down, and something like Eau des Baux in the mid, raining down vanilla, tonka, and spice.

To sum things up promptly.. Noir Extreme is a masterpiece. Parts La Nuit, Eau des Baux, Varvatos Vintage. Beast mode at some point in the opening. Sensual, sexy, refined. Longevity is about 6-8 hours on me, while projection is about average, maybe slightly above as it settles in a little. A must try for any fraghead!
11th November, 2016

Eternity Summer for Men 2016 by Calvin Klein

Close to a thumbs up for me. The opening is very enjoyable, almost has a grape smell to me, with a Summer twist on it. However the dry down is too much like Issey Miyake, a fragrance I really don't care for.
10th November, 2016

Samba Star Man by Perfumer's Workshop

Pretty boring, linear, kind of cheap smelling. There is a hefty dose of cocoa in the opening, as Renato says. It reminds me of the cocoa in 125 Years Your Companion For Life, or in CK In2U. A fairly strong presences of lavender here. The dry down is a creamy sandalwood/vanilla combo. Lasting power is roughly 5-6 hours on me, with projection on the weaker side.

This just smells boring, not much going on. Mediocre at best.
07th November, 2016

cK one Summer 2013 by Calvin Klein

Opens nicely. Dries down into a scrubber pretty much, way too synthetic and chemical smelling to enjoy.
02nd November, 2016