Reviews by The_Cologneist

Eau de Rochas Homme by Rochas

Mehh I dunno with this one.

I was pretty stoked in getting a great deal on a big bottle of this, so I jumped at the opportunity. It's one of the few 90's highly regarded citrus fragrances that I hadn't tried.

The opening of this is gorgeous, it's hard to get much better. Citruses coming at you from every direction. Lemon, lime, mandarin orange. Within minutes though it's gone and becomes a bit more floral. By the 15 minute mark, I am left with this awful synthetic/chemical accord, I'm assuming a very fake oak moss. It's just nasty and doesn't smell real in any way.

In other words, I get 15 minutes of enjoyments out of this fragrance. Maybe vintage is better, or maybe just the same? I am not willing to put out the money to find out. I find this to be a pretty much overrated fragrance. Now if you want something that actually deserves hype, Bowling Green is where to go. Same vein of fragrances, same style, same verbena note, much better dry down, but still not a great dry down. I find that these older designer label citrus fragrances have some pretty bad dry downs, where they begin to smell fake and cheap.

If you can get a bottle of this for under 20 bucks (I paid 15 for a near full 3.4 oz bottle) then it's worth it. Top notes are great, and mid is pretty good too for so many florals to not smell feminine at all. I doubt anyone will say you smell bad once the base notes kick in.. you may not even notice what I am noticing. I am very critical in what I smell, and I am very through in the reviews I do, so people can know what they MAY expect.

So maybe it's just me? A lot of the reviewers, I notice, give this a good review for nostalgic reasoning. Which is too biased, and too unfair for others to read. It sways the reviews way too positive, and that's not what I'm about. All personal opinions aside, and no favoritism from me; this is simply an average fragrance, with a cult following.
05th November, 2017

Midnight in Paris by Van Cleef & Arpels

We BN'ers love it, but apparently others don't since its discontinued. This is a review on the EDP.

There really isn't much to say, except that this is one the most perfect men's fragrances ever. Make sure you like the note of iris though. Iris can come off smelling "makeupy" and that's what it does here.

This is a blend of 2 already outstanding masterpieces: Bvlgari Black, and Dior Homme. Superbly blended, with a smooth creamy finish. Long lasting, projects enough to turn heads, and sophisticated. This is a confident mature man's fragrance. If you see the EDP, snatch it up, because prices will just keep getting higher.

I just can't express how well blended this is. Along with one of the best dry downs I've ever smelled. It kills everything in performance too.
03rd November, 2017

Dunhill Edition by Dunhill

Hmm maybe all these guys are reviewing another formulation? All I get from this is a clove/pepper bomb, and I mean bomb! It's hard to detect any of the other notes listed. Gave my bottle away.. was only $20, fortunately.
22nd October, 2017

Blueberry by Demeter Fragrance Library

Too sweet, mostly, vanilla, with not enough blueberry. Waste of 8 bucks.

Concentré D'Orange Verte by Hermès

It's hard to do citrus better than Hermes, and JCE. Concentre takes all the pizzazz of the original Orange Vert, and adds the desired longevity, without mangling the notes. There are some off looking notes in the breakdown, but trust me, this is just a longer lasting version of the original.

Royal Mayfair by Creed

Certainly one of the better Creed's available.

Ya know when you love a fragrance that's completely out of your comfort zone?? But, you can't explain why. There's only a certain type of nostalgia there. That is how I feel with Creed's Royal Mayfair.

I am a HUGE rose fan, but if you're looking for rose here, you won't get much. Mostly a combination of pine and angelica, with some bitter citrus, and a hefty dose of eucalyptus up top.

Dress up or down with this one, and you will get complimented regardless, guaranteed.

Playboy VIP Platinum Edition for Him by Playboy

Imagine Axe Dark Temptation, but with way more tonka bean. That is this.

I find it overly sweet, and hard to wear, but smells awesome in the house as a room deodorizer, and for 7 bucks, I'm ok with that.

Relax by Davidoff

God this is good! Why is there nothing like this around!? The mini's can be found but that's all.

In a nutshell, this is a smooth Barbasol smell, rounded out by a smooth (yes, smooth) herbal undertone. TonyT's review is pretty spot on, and he sums it up in a few words. Not much more to add to this, except that it's a must try for any lover of fragrances!

Les Exceptions : Cuir Impertinent by Thierry Mugler

A boozy, bold, rich, big bodied leather. Although very boring, and common.
13th October, 2017

Dunhill Icon by Dunhill

Truly an excellent, underrated, citrus masterpiece, with excellent performance.

This is 4711 with class. The dry down is addictive.
07th October, 2017

Big Pony 3 by Ralph Lauren

Not gonna lie.. this would be really good if it didn't smell like glue.

The mint note is herbaceous and pleasing, not sweet and cloying like other mints. The ginger is done well, like real ginger, not like this lemon ginger concoction that most ginger's in designer fragrances smell like now.

After about 15 minutes on skin, the glue smell fades off. I'm left with a pretty nice creamy-ish citrus like smell, with that green herbal mint lingering. Sits very close to the skin, and after about 2 hours, it's completely gone.

05th October, 2017

DKNY Men (New) by Donna Karan

Simply put, this is Gucci by Gucci (bottles even look similar, one probably inspired the other) but with WAY more woods.

Cedar is the dominant note here. Typically I like cedarm but in this case, it just doesn't blend very well with the iris. The result is a somewhat sour woody/musky smell, with an inky undertone.

I only bought a small bottle, but I gave it away. Yuck!
04th October, 2017

Forza by Tonino Lamborghini

This is my first from this house, and to be honest, it smells really good. Very masculine, modern, chypre type of fragrance. Nothing extraordinary though. Has this really nice soothing menthol-ish smell after initial application. Kind of reminds me of Bowling Green, but not as good.

This isn't bad, it's just lacking that "oomph". Furthermore, it fails miserably in performance and longevity. 2 hours tops, with not much projection. Good though for the 10 bucks I paid.
16th September, 2017

Cannabis Santal by Fresh

Maybe that's why I don't care much for this, it's so heavy on the patchouli. This is one of the few fragrances I bought at full price, it's kinda hard to even find on sale, or discounted much. This is a bonafide A*Men, with more patchouli, and less gourmand. Although it is still extremely sweet, it's not "foody" sweet.

I do get a lot of sandalwood in this, but it's masked unfortunately with an array of sweet notes. Despite the note breakdown, I don't get chocolate, not very much, and there's definitely no rose in here. I do get a ton of tonka bean though, and yes it's the dreaded cheap smelling tonka bean.

I think the sandalwood is well done, and even the patchouli (although not my favorite note).. however the sweeter notes are cheap and synthetic smelling.

Projection is pretty strong, longevity, 6 hours on my skin, before becoming a skin scent and then going for another 4-6 hours.

Why it's called Santal and has no sandalwood in the note breakdown is beyond me.. I trust my nose though, and I definitely get sandalwood here.

What sparked me to finally review this, is that I've decided to sell my bottle on Ebay, to try and get close to what I paid for it. After 2 years of owning this, I've worn it once. I truly believe the reviewer below me, that this was reformulated, because it smells way more patchouli heavy, than gourmandish as it did when it first came out.

You be the judge.
03rd September, 2017

Tommy Tropics by Tommy Hilfiger

This is gonna be a fragrance that disappears quick, and goes for outrageous prices on Ebay. It's the type that somebody will smell at the mall or a kiosk, and love the top notes, but not buy a bottle. Then months or even years go by where they crave that smell, only to find it's been discontinued.

Tropics is not groundbreaking, but it's one of those scents, as described above, that leaves that impression that makes you wanna sniff it more.

This is aptly named. It opens up with a tropical, coconut, rum, mint, ozonic vibe, backed with a heavy green overripe banana note. It fades into a creamy vanilla fairly quick, and then it's gone within a couple hours.

This is very similar to Hollister Drift, and Diesel Only The Brave Wild, as well as one of the CK Summer's I can't remember which right now. For less obscure stuff, think Set Sail St Barts, only forget the lime. Think Creed Virgin Island Water, again with no lime.

Coconut, pineapple, breezy, pina colada. This almost smells like a tasty drink. However, lack in performance gives this just a neutral rating for me. Plus the fact that it has been done to death already.
31st July, 2017

Vétiver Fatal by Atelier Cologne

I wanted to try this for so long, I finally blind bought a decant.. and here are my thoughts. Green Irish Tweed meets Vetiver Tonka. It's uncanny. It's not sweet like Vetiver Tonka though, it's more on the green aromatic side.

All in all though, I feel it comes off smelling as little bit plasticy, which ruins a potential thumbs up for me. I think it's a try hard vetiver, and I see why it doesn't get much love from vetiver fans. Although it isn't bad, it isn't good either. Middle of the road mehh.
25th June, 2017

Eau de Gaga by Lady Gaga

Solid, very solid. Great longevity, but don't expect a strong dry down. The base which goes well into the 8 hour park on my skin, mostly consists of a light cedar note, though it may be sandalwood, or even a combination of the 2, it even smells slightly of oud. This is the base though, let's talk about the top. Well done! At first spray, yes it totally smells like Azuree Lime, as the comparisons suggest, but wait about 5 minutes and it smells very similar to Green Irish Tweed. 12 bucks a bottle for EDP concentration.. it's a no brainer to me. Blind buy worthy imo, if you like GIT, you will probably love this.
02nd June, 2017

Cafe Oud by Dua Fragrances

Normally I am not a fan of this house, but this is a great fragrance. This is a better version of cologne of the Missions. It has 20 times the longevity. Now I've never tried Spirituese double Vanilla which is compared to cologne of the Missions, so I can't comment there.

Cafe Oud opens with a strong creamy coffee latte accord backed by some vanilla. Overtime it fades into a smooth oud, almost hard to tell that it's oud, but it is. It lasts 20+ hours.

My only problem is that it leaves an oily residue on my skin for hours even after I rub it in.. I know I know Al, don't rub it in right. In this case it doesn't matter because it's so concentrated.

Good stuff, might spring for a bottle soon.
24th May, 2017

Bowling Green by Geoffrey Beene

Mind blowing stuff, really. This had to have been inspired by Green Irish Tweed.

I am amazed that something like this isn't as loved as something like Fahrenheit. Although they are so very different, they both present that classic aura, they bring you back to the 80s, but they are both still very modern.

Bowling Green opens up with an amazing lemon verbena note, I mean, breathtaking, vibrant, uplifting, even better than the lemon verbena top note in Green Irish Tweed, which is hard to top. It blends smoothly with a noticeable bergamot. About 10 minutes in, the bergamot fades, the lemon verbena remains strong, and it becomes more herbal, and green. The pine note is excellent, it's not modern, but it's not dated, it fits in well. As it dries, it becomes more lavender heavy.

Unfortunately toward the 2 hour mark, the beauty starts to fall apart. Not to say it's bad, because it's still good, but not great. The base smells sort of cheap. It's hard to tell what I am even smelling at this point. A somewhat wet mossy, musky, floral. It kind of incorporates pieces of Grey Flannel, only much much lighter.

The first 2 hours are gorgeous. Even younger guys will probably love this. Don't be biased and dismiss a fragrance for its age. If this was remarketed and redone today, with a different label, I guarantee people would talk about what a modern classic this will be.

We are fortunate that Geoffrey Beene either brought this back out of discontinuation, or somebody found a massive stockpile of this somewhere and they've been selling all over the internet for $15-20 bucks for a 4 oz bottle. One of the best bang for your bucks out there. I have not smelled the original, and I am sure it's been reformulated just like everything else has, so I can't say how this used to be. I can say how it is now, and it is excellent!
24th May, 2017

Dior Homme Sport (2012) by Christian Dior

This isn't all it's cracked out to be. Granted it smells nice.. performance is very very poor. I have much better "Sport" fragrances in my wardrobe. This one literally has to be reapplied every 2 hours, as I only get 2 hours on my skin. Yes this is DHS 2012, from an authentic dealer.

I suspect the overwhelming support is from Dior brand enthusiasts. I would probably not recommend this to anybody, because it lacks so much in performance. Smells great though.

Shame.
17th May, 2017

Style In Play by Lacoste

Floral, red apple men's fragrance. Easily unisex. My bottle broke unfortunately, but I never wore it anyways. DKNY Red Delicious is much better, in a similar range. Red Delicious has poor longevity, but Red Style in Play as horrendous longevity.
16th May, 2017

Hommage à L'Homme Voyageur by Lalique

I really thought I was gonna like this, but I don't. I should note I am not a big patchouli fan, and this fragrance is 75% patchouli. It's very similar to Tommy Hilfiger Loud for men.

I pretty much just get a dirty, dry, animallic patchouli, rounded out by a mossy base, with a cedar wood accord as well. It's boring, but it doesn't last long, much longer than Tommy Loud.
11th May, 2017

Sauvage by Christian Dior

Not a fan, nor am I a fan of the ambroxian era. First it was tonka, then oud, now ambroxian. Sauvage I feel is pleasant from a distance (although no positive feedback), but abrasive close up.

I agree with so many other reviewers here. I think Alfarom's review is pretty much spot on.

I pick up a generic citrus opening, with a metallic edge. This doesn't smell like Bleu de Chanel to me. And although I don't praise BdC, it certainly rounds out everything nicely, whereas Sauvage is a bit confused. I get bits and pieces from other recent releases, one specifically that I haven't seen anyone speak of, is Invictus.

All in all, this is a step down from most Dior stuff. A mish mash of aromachemicals. It smells cheap, and boring. It doesn't smell "chemical" though like nail polish remover or anything like that.

People complain about projection and longevity on this too? Huh?? I get monstrous projection and longevity. I find the projection to be obnoxious. If you want something to get you noticed though, and don't care about artistry in perfumery, then you will dig this.
04th May, 2017

L'Homme Ultime by Yves Saint Laurent

Sour citrus meets woods and rose. The best part of this, is the smooth rose element, very well done. The rest of this.. nothing great. This has a sour opening, and it stays that way for quite a while. instantly it reminds me of Ferragamo pour Homme limited Platinum edition - this is a very fragrance, but if you've smelled it, you will understand more what Ultime smells like. Another similar fragrance is Antonio, which has a spicy fir and heavy dose of woods.

The plus side of Ultime, the rose note is outstanding. It's smooth, creamy, doesn't smell too synthetic, doesn't smell too feminine, and lasts for quite a while. The fragrance itself has great longevity on me, as I easily get 8-12 hours.

The smell, not so much my thing. I can see how this would appeal to a lot of people though. I will use up my 10 ml decant though, as this makes for something good when i need something with extreme longevity.
04th May, 2017

Habit Rouge Dress Code by Guerlain

Horrible opening. Hideous, bag of make up smell, powdery and very dated. Instant flashback to Burberry Brit. The dry down is more tolerable, but nothing to write home about.
25th April, 2017

Baldessarini Ultimate by Baldessarini

Ultimate has a promising opening. Instantly I am brought to JCE creations, specifically Declaration, but with a little more of a citrus kick. However, this quickly dies down, and becomes more of a Strictly Private like smell, which is another overrated Baldessarini. The dry down here doesn't smell right to me either. Kind of sour.

I still think Ambre is the best of the line, and the most reviewed for a reason, It's simply good.

Ultimate on the other hand.. not so much. Although the composition seems fair, it doesn't cater to my personal interest. I give this a very low neutral rating, almost negative.
16th April, 2017

Menthe Fraiche / Fresh Mint / Eau de Menthe by Heeley

God this is so good! I wish it lasted more than a couple hours. The opening is menthol minty, awesome authentic spearmint note! It meets an herbal quality green tea. I also get a hefty hefty dose of a flower that is native to Florida, but I'm not sure the name, either tagetes or lantana perhaps.. it blooms in a bulb shape with many little flowers on the bulb, they are orange, yellow and red, often in the same flower, the smell is a floral citrus smell. Although freesia is a note listed in this, that's not what I am getting.

Unfortunately due to its poor performance I will never spend the money for this one. I will try to find something very similar with better performance.
15th April, 2017

18.21 Sweet Tobacco by 18.21 Man Made

It took me a while to figure out what this smelled like exactly, I'm pretty confident saying that this is an even mix between Tobacco Vanille, and Pure Havane.

Now imagine Pure Havane, without the sweet cherry/fruity notes. 18/21 is sweet, but from the vanilla. It's robust from the tobacco. The tobacco has a dark, dirty, patchouli/chocolate like smell. It's boozy, it's spicy, it's a little powdery, and it has fantastic performance.

My one gripe, it does smell a bit like sweet piss to me in the first hour or so. I think it's from the combination with honey, and tobacco, I kind of get this in Tobacco Vanille as well, but not as noticeable. It still doesn't change my opinion, that this is a great fragrance, at a fair price.

I'm hoping that with the success of this fragrance, although I know it's not a national success, it's a low key success by us enthusiasts on here -- I hope it will push the company to put out more fragrances that they know we will love.
08th April, 2017

S.T. Dupont Homme by S.T. Dupont

Ya, this basically smells the same as Declaration, as others note. Declaration has a better dry down, but this is still very pleasant.
28th March, 2017

Pharrell Williams GIRL by Comme des Garçons

This is absolutely VILE. I thought the days of me blind buying such horrible stuff was behind me, as I thoroughly read reviews and note break downs. I feel there is not enough negative reviews because of the respect people have for the house. Well.. you make something that smells disgusting, people should know about it.

I can obviously see why this flopped in department stores, but it has even flopped at online discounters, hence its price drop down to about $20 a bottle. That's what I paid, so it''s make a cute paperweight.

Girl opens up with a peppery, violet heavy, plastic smelling woodsy smell. It's very linear and dries down that way. It's very VERY chemical smelling. Plastic, nail polish remover are main problematic accords.

Granted this is coming off of one wearing. I do have a bottle and can revisit it any time, but why would I want to? There's no changing the chemical smells, they're not gonna go away, and it gives me a headache. 2 big thumbs down.
22nd March, 2017