Reviews by The_Cologneist

The_Cologneist's avatar
    The_Cologneist

Guess Seductive Homme Blue by Guess

Pretty good for the Guess brand

Similar to: La Nuit de l'Homme, Burberry Touch, Casual for Men.

Top notes: caviar, citruses, cardamom, black pepper

Middle notes: geranium, sea notes

Base notes: cashmirwood, oak moss, sand

Guess Seductive Blue, is definitley the better of the 2 masculine offerings the "Seductive" branch, though the original is not bad either, definitley better than many other boring releases. Onto Blue though.. in the opening, I can't help but think La Nuit de l'Homme, but fresher.. well done! As it dries I get an earthy note in the background, wait.. it's moss. Moss from the base notes coming through so early, but ya know what, it smells great.. even if you don't like oak moss, when it blends with these creamy aquatic and citrus top notes, they compliment one another very well. Although it isn't listed, I get lots of violet leaf in the opening. Within 10 minutes it becomes a creamy floral, reminiscent somewhat of Casual for Men, by Paul Sebastian. The base is a subtle blend of woods and oak moss. My only big gripe is longevity, as I get no more than 4 hours; projection is ok, but subtle. Very enjoyable scent, and a nice little gem. I found a bottle for 21 bucks on Overstock, so shop around, because you can find it cheap.

In a nutshell, this is a fresher take on La Nuit de l'Homme. Simple.

Pros: Sexy, smooth, versatile
    Cons: Longevity"

20th July, 2013

Unforgivable by Sean John

One of the best aquatic openings that I've smelled, ruined by a hideous dry down.

Similar to: Millesime Imperial, Bond No 9 Wallstreet

First off, emphasis on "somewhat" unique. Of course this is compared to its rather expensive predecessor in Millesime Imperial. I haven't really spent much time with MI, so I can't comment. But, I'd say if the dry down is better than this, it may be worth the extra bucks. Unforgivable has really nice opening notes, you can tell that all of the money went to the opening notes here, as well as the advertising of course. I get this uplifting blend of sweet citruses, lime, juniper, and a hint of basil. It mellows out into a more floral heart, bringing in a wet iris note, and sandalwood. But after the first hour of an amazing opening and heart, it just goes down hill, and stays downhill for 7 hours on my skin. All I smell is wet dog. The same wet dog smell I get from Bond No 9's Wallstreet. What a shame, because Unforgivable has some of the most enjoyable top notes I've ever smelled. They transition so smoothly into the floral heart, but then they leave me disappointed in the base. The base is just vile here. Maybe it's the odd combination of rum, amber, woods, and tonka bean, in the base the sits on top of the top and middle notes that just don't mesh well with the base. Maybe it's a hidden "aqua" note, a smell used in some aquatics that's meant to mimic H20. Whatever it is, it loses my vote. Replace the base notes with something simple like just sandalwood, cedar, musk, and maybe tonka, and I think we'd have a winner.

Pros: Opening notes, Invigorating, Longevity, Somewhat unique
    Cons: Hideous dry down"

15 July, 2013

Erolfa by Creed

Just OK..

Other than it being an aquatic that still smells "new" today. Erolfa is just an overpriced fragrance really. If you love Creed, you may like it. It has that popular metallic accord you may find in other Creed scents. It's some sort of synthetic note that gives it a cooling effect -- some sort of mint/metallic concoction. Erolfa opens up with this strong accord I speak of, accompanied by simple aquatic notes, melons, citruses, calone I presume, and other artificial "sea breeze" like accords. The lime note is very noticeable in the first minute or so. I quickly get the mid notes, notably a floral note I don't care for.. jasmine. Tons of jasmine in the middle, even the opening. At this point, I don't even want it on my skin, but an interesting twist with a pine note sits behind all else, it makes me sniff and sniff. Eventually, you get a light mossy and fairly strong sandalwood base. From a distance, it actually kind of smells like piss. Longevity is around the 6 hour mark for me.. and projection is about average, with strong projection in the first 10 minutes.

Pros: Ahead for its time
    Cons: Price"

11th July, 2013

Spicebomb by Viktor & Rolf

Amazing spicy scent, that succeeds in all categories.

Similar to: Tobacco Vanille, Eau des Baux, Mugler: Taste of Fragrance, Burberry: The Beat.

First and foremost. I am a HUGE Olivier Polge fan. And I think this is his best designer brand fragrance. I haven't so much seen or smelled what he can do with a higher budget in the niche realm of fragrances, but I am sure there is lots of potential. He's still fairly young and is gonna make some instant classics, like Spicebomb.

Spicebomb. Where to begin. First it was Le Male, then 1 Million, now Spicebomb. The ultimate club scent, and keeping up to date with what people wanna smell. Personally, I am not a "club goer", but this is what you wanna wear to get noticed. While it's very very spicy, no doubt, it is balanced out well with a subtle sweetness, tonka bean I presume. The opening gives a huge blast of pink pepper, and paprika more than anything. It's a bit sharp, and definitley in your face.. but it quickly mellows out, the notes combine, along with vetiver, leather, citruses, and cinnamon. I do believe the cinnamon note in here is the real secret to Spicebomb. Cinnamon is a spice, but also sweet in a way, and it really helps Spicebomb, not only to balance out, but to keep a character that distinguishes it from Tobacco Vanille, and others.

Spicebomb.. not a pepper bomb like Marc Jacobs Bang. There's never too much of anything in Spicebomb once it comes into character. You get a little pink pepper, a little cinnamon, a little vetiver, a little leather, a little saffron, a little tonka bean, on and on. Projection and longevity are both a plus. But I can see this being off putting to some in the opening notes, if you are sensitive to pink pepper or paprika in heavy doses.

Spicebomb has already gotten its much deserved recognition here on Basenotes, and other forums and communities around the internet. I just hope it doesn't ever get lost in translation, and stays relevant. An A+ masterpiece, and a must try!

Pros: Longevity, projection, value, unique, balanced.
    Cons: Price is a little high."

08 July, 2013

IZOD by IZOD

Best bang for your buck aquatic on the market.

Similar to: Adidas Dare, Dunhill Pure, Paris Hilton for Men.

Where to begin with IZOD. When I first purchased it, I got a .5 oz bottle from Walmart or something. I went through it so quick, and kept reapplying, thinking the longevity was crap. The longevity is actually pretty solid, but the invigorating top notes is what I wanted to smell all day, so I kept reapplying. The top notes I pick up on are tangerine, lime, grapefruit, mint, and cucumber. It flows into a soft creamy floral mid, and a slightly musky, and spiced tobacco base. Note: the tobacco note in here is incredibly smooth, almost unnoticeable. In fact, it took me like 2 bottles later to notice it was even there. It blends in so well with the top and mid, and all the notes combine into the end, making one beautiful tropical/floral/spicy accord. I am now on my 4th bottle of this (first a .5 oz, then (2) 1.7 oz's, currently a 1 oz) I may just pick up the 3.4 and set it aside, as it's becoming a little harder to find lately. Longevity is 6-8 hours on me, though some times I may only get 4 hours. This is one of my comfort scents that I like to wear when I am just sitting at home, and when at home, I could easily smell it on myself 8 hours later, but when I wear it out, I may not get the longevity I desire. Projection is beast mode in the opening, and pretty good for the first hour or so. As for comparisons, this smells very similar to Adidas Dare, only more powerful. I would label this as a fruity, spicy, aquatic. The spice doesn't come until the end, and it's just barely there from the tobacco; ya really gotta dig for it, honestly. IZOD is a true keeper, and a very safe scent for anybody, any age.

Pros: Different, cheap, safe, tropical, excellent projection.
    Cons: Faulty sprayer, spotty longevity

05 July, 2013

Very Irrésistible for Men by Givenchy

Nice, unique, strange dry down though.

I was fortunate enough to get a great deal on a bottle of Very Irresistible. I am not 100% sure, but it may be discontinued, as I do not see it in department stores, nor do I see it readily available for purchase online too often.

The opening is just that.. Hard to resist. It's like a caramel apple. Projection is very good in the opening, but dies down pretty quickly. Once I really get a grasp on what I am smelling, it smells like apple, mint, caramel, and chocolate or mocha. Think sour green apples. Think Ande's mints. Combine the two. Amazing! It's hard to take your nose off of where you sprayed. But you have to stick your nose there, because the projection thins out so quickly.

Before ya know it, it turns into this odd smelling base, similar to that in Sean John's Unforgivable. Like some wet dog type smell, paired with a very weak woodsy note, and something else I just can't put my nose on. This all takes effect quickly, as the top and mid don't last long. The base goes on for a good 4 hours or so, thankfully not incredibly long, because it's just not good really. A damn shame, from a very promising opening.

Pros: Unique, Sensual, Awesome bottle
    Cons: Projection, Dry down

30th June, 2013

Snow Power by Victorinox

Pretty bad

Not often will I give a fragrance a lackluster review. I just don't feel this fragrance deserves any praise whatsoever. I managed to find a 1 oz bottle at TJ Maxx for 10 bucks, so I bought it blind. Firstly, the 1 oz bottle sizes in this and Unlimited, I believe the other is called, are awesome! It has a rubbery casing around it with a thing you turn on top to unlock the sprayer. It also include a bungee style clip, which is poorly made. Although, the bottle can potentially be clipped to ones belt loop. Too bad the fragrance is pretty bad.

I was trying to figure out what it smells like, as it smells identical to something I have tried before. I thought it was quite similar to Akon Konvict, but with less lemon. Then it dawned upon me.. Emporio Armani He! That's it! Snow Patrol is a pretty poor, synthetic smelling, cypress style fragrance. It mostly smells of cheap woods, and citrus, with a hint of vetiver. Imagine Armani He, but poorly made. Armani He is nothing spectacular, but next to this, it is amazing. Don't even waste your time.

Pros: Neat bottle.
    Cons: Everything except the bottle!

14 June, 2013

125 Years Your Companion for Life by Victorinox

I've decided to remove my full review from before and simplify this, as well as my taste has changed. 125 Years a really underrated fragrance, but I still stick to my decision, it is lacking something, and doesn't have much depth to it.

This is basically a 4 note fragrance. Citrus, cocoa, tonka, woods. More specifically.. this opens up with a burst of grapefruit, with a little something there keeping it interesting. It quickly fades into the cocoa phase where.. there is supposed to be a hay note, which I kind of get.. as it has this dirty-ish mossy feel in the background. The cocoa gets creamier as the tonka bean emerges, and it dries into a sandalwood base.

This is a great cocoa fragrance for beginners, who want cocoa, but don't want something as intense as LIDGE, or DHI. The choices for cocoa dominated mens fragrances are actually pretty slim. I think between this, and CKin2U, these would be the 2 safest bets.

125 Years can be found cheap online, I got mine for I think 20 bucks shipped, maybe even less. At first I wasn't thrilled with it, but overtime I realized, wow.. I have used a lot of my bottle. It's a great "go to" fragrance, when I want something sweet, but not unorthodox. This is always a safe bet. I guess when you have 180 or so bottles and you've used about 1/3 of a 3.4 oz bottle, that says something.

05 June, 2013 (Last Edited: 22 April, 2014)

Fleur de Figuier by Molinard

This is my first review using the new BN system, so please forgive me if I do this backwards or wrong.

Onto the fragrance. I was fortunate enough to be able to obtain a sample of this through a generous BN'er. In my quest to find a cheap alternative to Philosykos, This one was not what I was looking for, but I would be lying if I didn't recognize it's high points.

The opening.. coconut, coconut, coconut, by far the most coconut dominated fragrance opening that I have ever encountered. I get a very natural smelling coconut, accompanied by a toasted almond like note. The fig really comes out in the middle, but there isn't much of a base on this one. Perhaps a little cedar, which begins to show its face in the opening really. The combination of notes smell a little more feminine than unisex to me.

I really enjoyed Fleur De Figuier, but a couple things keep me from giving it a higher score. Longevity was pretty good, 8+ hours, and when it seemed like it was gone, it was still there. It maintains this earthy fig and cedar combination for hours and hours, a smell, that I wish projected more. I think more notes, and a more substantial base would have made this a sure winner, but I know keeping fragrances minimalistic (note wise) is Molinard's style. I personally wouldn't put it in my wardrobe, because it's a bit on the feminine side. I recommend checking this one out if you like Black Orchid by Tom Ford.

Pros: Unique, Sensual
    Cons: Moderate to Weak Sillage, Fragrance seems "unfinished"

21st May, 2013

Cool Water Summer Fizz by Davidoff

Very bright, sparkling, and tart opening. Lemon, lemon, lemon. Sparkling and "fizzy". Lavender is noticeable in the middle; and a shocking twist in the dry down, with leather, suede and cedar being quite noticeable to my nose. The opening is youthful, and "Summer-y", the dry down is mature.

Longevity, not the greatest.. 4-5 hours on me. But, for 20-25 bucks at local discounters, it's a good buy. It's different from the rest of the Cool Water flankers that I have tried. It has virtually no Cool Water DNA in it, in my opinion, aside from the lavender in the middle. It's simple yet different. I recommend getting it, if the price is right, and you think you would like the above. Harder to find now, I've seen getting pricier on Ebay.

04 May, 2013

Aqua Rush by Nautica

I blind purchased this because of someone saying it smelled like the icy mint Irish Spring, which I adore the smell of, as I wear the antiperspirant deodorant regularly. Unfortunately, it smells NOTHING like it; however, with it costing 19 bucks on Amazon, for the 1.7 oz, it is cheap enough to be a good value fragrance.

Longevity could be better, and projection is pretty weak. I get a blast of grapefruit, yuzu, and orange in the opening, smells very natural (surprisingly from the house). There's a little bit of mint there, but not enough to call it "icy". At the end of the day, it smells pretty much like Versace pH, with less staying power. The yuzu note in the opening is pretty well done, I don't own many yuzu fragrances, so this one will likely stay in my collection, and get some wear throughout the Summer. Burberry Summer 2009 edition, was the best designer take on yuzu though for sure, but due to its limited availabilities, it is hard to find. I will settle for this.

04 May, 2013

Silver by Al Rehab

I'm so glad I found Al Rehab Silver. If you're like me and you don't wanna spent 300+ on Silver Mountain Water, you can't go wrong with this one. The differences are minimal, in fact you don't have to worry about batch variations like you can expect from Creed, here you get the simple concept of Silver Mountain Water, without a possible "bad batch".

Opens up with a sharp cooling citrus, and a metallic note. A slight tea sort of note in the dry down, and maybe a touch of spice somewhere in there. I also pick up on a rose smell, but not at all floral, more green than anything.

Silver has great projection and longevity, and at about 6 bucks for a 1.35 oz EDP, you have nothing to lose. Excellent value, excellent quality. Two big thumbs up.

19 April, 2013 (Last Edited: 19 April, 2014)

Old Spice by Procter & Gamble

Even in its current formula, Old Spice is a winner. Spicy irresistible opening, that women of all ages go bananas for. It turns into a soft powdery vanilla base with a lot of musk; unfortunately too musky for an everyday wearer for me, as I am not keen on musky scents.

If only they made this in an EDT spray. The $$$ would come rolling in. Old spice is excellent, and one of the best blended male scents ever made. Unfortunately, longevity is pretty poor, as is projection. I guess if you shave your face with a razor (which I don't) - this would work well.

17 April, 2013 (Last Edited: 08 May, 2014)

Rive Gauche pour Homme Light by Yves Saint Laurent

Damn, this stuff is good! Sucks it's discontinued, and hard to find. I obtained a bottle through a swap on BN, and am super glad I did, as it has become one of my signature scents.

I have only tried the original twice, and found it to be too mossy, powerful, and sharp. This one is definitley similar, but with more lavender. Smoother and less sharp, less "old school", yet still lives up to the Rive Gauche brand. The shaving cream/barber shop inspired bottle fits well. This is not a watered down version of the original. This is full bodied, strong, has big projection and great longevity.

I'll have to sample the original some more to do a full comparison, but as it stands now, this one is a real sleeper. 2 big thumbs up!

17 April, 2013

Enemy / Ennemi by Nickel

It's really not that bad. If you can find a bottle, get it on it, because it's pretty hard to find. I smelled this at TJ Maxx at least 5 years ago and recall it having a strong grape note. I ended up finding someone on BN swapping it not to long ago, and I jumped at the opportunity.

Fragrance itself is not great, but not as bad as many make it out to be. It has the same DNA as Eau Maximum by Nickel. Longevity isn't as good, and it's a little bit confused with incense and spice notes. The metallic accord gives it a sharp kick. In a nutshell, you get a predominately grapefruit, spice, incense, woods fragrance, with a metallic accord. It seems a bit awkward, but it's actually smooth, and clean. Longevity is not that great though. There's also a sour sort of note in here, but the metallic accord kind of masks it.

I give it a neutral rating, but would probably give 1 thumbs up if it performed better.

17 April, 2013

Opus IV by Amouage

Opens up nicely, as the citrus and coriander oil is quite noticeable. I also get a lavender note. As the middle notes emerge, it starts to smell like bubble gum flavored bubble bath.. which may or may not exist, but it's just what I perceive. Or perhaps some sort of champagne. It actually resembles Champaca Absolute, but with some spice. The cumin spice is very noticeable in the mid, and although it doesn't really match, it keeps things interesting, from a pretty boring floral mid. The base is very incense based, even the mid is quite a bit. I don't really pick up on the animalic notes or the musk, which is good for me, since I don't get along with those notes. Longevity is 10+ hours, projection is big in the opening, but tones down quickly. I really enjoy the opening, and their take on citrus, but after that.. I don't much care.

Overall, I am not that impressed, but I am intrigued. This is the first Amouage fragrance I have tried. The quality is definitley there, which intrigues me. After looking at some of their note breakdowns, on other fragrances; and now smelling an Amouage fragrance first hand, I am definitley interested. As an introduction to their house, with Opus IV, one of their less popular ones, I can see that the notes are there (some houses list notes that you just don't smell if ya know what I mean), which is something I like; and of course, the quality is here too.

31st March, 2013

L'Instant de Guerlain pour Homme Extreme by Guerlain

At first, when I tried this, I thought I got a bad sample, then I tried it again from another sample and it was the same thing. I know how people say "wait for the dry down, it's amazing!", one can only wait so long. While the dry down is decent, it's not "amazing", and the opening is horrid.

I am not here to knock it, or to disrespect Guerlain, they have made some masterpieces. For me, the opening of the fragrance is just as important as the dry down. If the opening flops, and the dry down is good, it gets a neutral rating; if the opening is good and the dry down sucks, it may get a neutral rating; if the whole fragrance is good, and it has good longevity, projection, and sometimes versatility, it's a sure thumbs up. But, if the opening smells like farts and Dorito's, and the dry down smells like cocoa, that's been sitting in grandma's purse for a few years, then it's a no go with me.

The combination of notes are odd, but I won't like, they are quite smooth, nothing is really off balance, nothing is sharp, nothing too spicy, or too sweet. But, the overall general aroma's just smell bad to me. In the opening, the combination of anise and citrus smells like nacho flavored chips, or somebody who's been eating fast food and farting profusely. Maybe it's this "elemi" note that I have never heard of. The patchouli has a strong presence behind these notes, keeping it more interesting; but, if ya know me, ya know I don't much care for patchouli. For me, it takes a good hour before this fart smell goes away, and I am left with a semi sweet cocoa note, surrounded by what smells like iris, jasmine, tea, and woods, notably sandalwood. The final dry down consists of pretty much patchouli, bitter cocoa and sandalwood, which is my favorite part, but, it sits so close to the skin and is so faint at this point. I can get that combination in Dior homme Intense, and not have to sit through hours of torture.

I'm sorry, but I'll have to go against the grain on this one, LIDGE is pretty disgusting to me. Its only redeeming quality is the final dry down, we're talking 4 hours later. It lasts a good 10+ hours on me. Projection is pretty strong in opening, if ya wanna smell like an old bucket of fried chicken. Check this one out, if you want the people around you to think you've been rolling around in old soggy french fries and crushed up Dorito's. Nah I am just playing on that, that's just me though. To each their own!

27 March, 2013

Oxygène Homme by Lanvin

Transparent, salty,woodsy, citrus, musk. Longevity is ridiculous (lasts forever) for a citrus scent. This is my "pool" scent. I wear it when sitting by the pool, or swimming. To be honest though, it's a bit boring.

26 March, 2013

Italian Cypress by Tom Ford

First and foremost.. this fragrance is not for everyone. It has an old school powerhouse feel, yet still feels quite relevant today. Two notes that aren't listed anywhere, that I get a lot of, are cinnamon and amber. Amber plays a big role for me in the background, and when it mixes with the cinnamon and basil, it gives me this fresh baked Italian bread accord. I can't help but mention it, although I am sure others will disagree.

Cypress plays a key role, as the name of the fragrance suggests. A woody and resinous cypress, that is flattered with mint, basil and cinnamon; and as I feel, amber behind it all. It makes for a refined, somewhat linear, yet powerful fragrance. I would suggest this to somebody looking for "the" ultimate masculine scent in the niche realm. Although, like with many powerhouse style scents, they serve a certain demographic group.

As for comparisons. This reminds me of Obsession, and BHPC Red. I don't get the Drakkar Noir comparison that many say. Longevity and projection are both excellent. Not often do I prefer to splash than spray, but with this one, because it is so strong, I recommend it be dabbed a little bit on each wrist, and you're set.

I do enjoy Italian Cypress, but I don't think it's bottle worthy, or for me. An acquired taste for a man who wants something bold, and classy.

18 March, 2013

Le Vetiver Itasca by Lubin

Itasca is quite a nice one, although I wish the pine note was more prominent. It opens up feeling and smelling a bit old school. Lots of citrus and juniper, with pine, vetiver, incense and spices behind it. The citrus notes wear off fairly quickly, and the pine and vetiver emerge. I get incense in the dry down.

This reminds me of Terre d'Hermes parfum version, Intimately Beckham (for its spicy incense/nutmeg combo) and Slumberhouse's Norne to some degree. I wish longevity were a little better with Itasca though, for something of such high quality, after about 2 hours, it's pretty close to the skin, but overall lasts a good 6-7 hours.

22 February, 2013

Loewe para Hombre by Loewe

This review is of Loewe pour Homme.

Very nice, but a bit too old school for me. This opens up with a huge burst of lemon, lavender, oakmoss, and pine. Projection is Huge, even with 1 spray. It reminds me of Esencia to some degree, but not as smooth. The mid becomes more floral, and slightly powdery, with the sandalwood lurking behind the mid notes. To no surprise, sandalwood dominates the base of this, and a great sandalwood indeed! Expect a dirty vetiver note in the dry down as well.

Like Esencia, this one is like chypre meets fougere. It's herbal, green, classy and mature. Signature scent material for an older distinguished gentleman, with a suit/tie wardrobe, who is a go getter. I am not sure about the availability on this one though, it may be discontinued and hard to find. I wouldn't go crazy searching for it, it is nothing too unique. In fact, reminds me of bits and pieces of Polo, Azzaro pH, Drakkar Noir, Esencia, and even Yatagan. Try it though, if opportunity is there.

16 February, 2013

Salvatore Ferragamo pour Homme by Salvatore Ferragamo

Not quite sure if there's a difference in notes, but I have the limited Platinum Edition of Ferragamo pH. The bottle looks the same, but the juice may be a different color, and the box is not reddish, rather white with silver horizontal lines.

As for the fragrance.. I find it pretty boring. The opening does a great job executing a juicy pink grapefruit note, it's a little salty, with the fig notes behind it. As the top notes very quickly evaporate, it becomes pretty boring.. reminds me very much of Romance Silver, which I do not favor. Spicy, sour, and kind of smells like cheese. Yet women in my world seem to love this.. that's why i am keeping it, lol.

13 February, 2013

L'Eau Froide by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido

L'Eau Froide opens with a minty menthol over a smokey incense with a soapy feel. Very fresh and light, interesting as well. As it dries, the soapiness wears off, the smokiness emerges more, I guess the incense is becoming more prominent here. Musky undertones, and slightly floral in to the base notes.

Longevity is kind of poor, as I only get about 4 or 5 hours with this one. If somebody told me this was a Serge Lutens fragrance, I probably wouldn't believe them. It's far too light and transparent. It is nice though, just not my thing.

Coeur de Noisette by Sinfonia di Note

Promising notes result with an ultimately boring and unbalanced fragrance. Though there is something appealing about it, at times. From the opening Coeur de Noisette gives off this crumbly baked coconut pie like aroma, very gourmand. As it transitions, I really get a very iris like vibe through, until the dry down, where I get more woods and spices, but very delicate. Overall, I am not impressed. It just doesn't feel right on my skin. Maybe it will work for you though.

Kenzo Power Cologne by Kenzo

To me, this is a surprise from Kenzo. Kenzo usually produces more daring designer scents. Power Cologne is anything but daring. It's common -- smells like a million other fragrances, though women's. Floral and citrus, overly sweet and nauseating up top, with that "perfumy" smell going on. A bit too concentrated really; too much packed into the opening. This is nothing like the original Kenzo Power. This is generic, boring, and a headache in a bottle.

Bergamotto Marino by Gianfranco Ferré

Pretty much bergamot and neroli from start to finish. Smells natural; stays pretty linear, with some added florals, musk and oakmoss in the dry down, and lasts a while. Good stuff for sure, niche quality!

26 January, 2013

Vera Wang for Men by Vera Wang

This is a very green and citric vanilla scent for the most part. Longevity and projection are about average on me, projection could be better, I get about 5-6 hours longevity before it's totally gone.

Vera Wang for Men, opens up with a sharp, almost plasticy green mandarin note, along with yuzu, this could be off-putting to some... I struggled with it for a while and then got used to it. An hour or so later, I am left with a sandalwood and leather mixture, with a hunt of tobacco. The dry down is reminiscent of True Religion, or Phat Farm Atman (a very obscure suede scent). This also reminds me of Raw Vanilla for men, and Givenchy Pi.

All in all, it isn't bad, but it's nothing to write home about. I have less than an oz left in my bottle, and I won't be purchasing it again. I'm torn between a neutral rating and a thumbs up, but I think I'll say thumbs up, because this one has history with me.

18 January, 2013 (Last Edited: 11th March, 2014)

Breath of God by B Never Too Busy To Be Beautiful

Disgusting! Absolutely vile!!

Firstly, I will say, that this review is based off of one small wearing. However, Breath of God, is definitley the type of fragrance that you only need to wear once to know if you will love it or hate it.

I poured a small amount from my decant onto my skin. I was met with a fresh cantaloupe type smell, mixed with a rusty paint bucket. Yes, it smells as if a freshly sliced juicy melon, fell into a rusty bucket of paint. Fishy and metallic accords throughout the dry down. I washed it off my skin at about the 20 minute mark.

I may revisit this fragrance at another date, granted I can muster up enough courage to do so. I will give credit where it's due, this stuff is very artistic, and very daring; while also, unwearable.

12 January, 2013

Samba Kiss Me Man by Perfumer's Workshop

Truly one of the best gourmands I have ever smelled. Slap a Hermes tag on it, put it in the Hermessence line, and it will go for hundreds, literally. And how fitting, it is a very linear fragrance, with excellent projection and longevity.

3 words: lemon meringue pie. Sweet lemon and vanilla top notes, with nutmeg, cinnamon, inside of a pie crust. Creamy, sweet, but not cloying at all. What I like the most is there's no tonka bean in here. Don't get me wrong, tonka is a nice enough note, but when you get it dominating your gourmands, over and over and over, it gets a bit annoying. Kiss Me is original, yet so very simple.

For comparisons, I was able to try Mandarina Duck Pure Black recently, and the similarities are astonishing. Pure Black has a lot of tonka bean in it, which was the only main difference for me. Kiss Me smells more natural. A true winner here, and a must try, for any gourmand lover!

12 January, 2013

Vanille Tonka by Nicolaï

Vanille Tonka is a nice enough fragrance, however, it just doesn't serve a purpose for me, other than it smelling nice. Projection isn't that great, and longevity could be better, especially considering it's a gourmand/oriental, from a niche line.. I get roughly 4-5 hours on my skin.

Vanille Tonka opens with a very powdery vanilla, with a touch of dirtiness from the tonka, I'll note that the tonka in this isn't creamy or overly synthetic smelling like many fragrances. In the background, there's a sweet lemon note -- think more along the lines of lemon cookies or cake, as opposed to it in its citric form. The powdery smell dies down, the lemon cookie note emerges more, accompanied by some type of orangey smell, and a little neroli. I believe these are the mid notes, since the base is more about incense and tonka bean. I will say this.. the way the mid notes come together in this fragrance, is very very nice. It becomes a sort of citrus gourmand.

Although nice, it still brings me back to quality. It's really lacking here. Projection, longevity, and purpose in general.

09 January, 2013