Reviews by The_Cologneist

Fahrenheit Absolute by Christian Dior

I do like Absolute, but it's still no Fahrenheit. To me, Absolute takes the gasoline accord out, and amps up the violet note, and makes it darker. It sort of dries down how Prada Amber Intense opens.

Overall it's nice, but I don't think it's worth retail price, and this one is hard to find one sale. I paid about $68 for a 1.7 oz bottle which is pretty steep. It would be a high thumbs up for me, if you could get a bottle in the $40 range.
10th January, 2017

A*Men: Les Parfums de Cuir / Pure Leather by Thierry Mugler

I am sort of an A*Men fan boy, I own most of the line. I love the bottles, the fragrance structure, and the original A*Men DNA (an already brilliant scent) in most of their stuff.

Pure Leather is without doubt the closest to the original A*Men. The leather note isn't as nice as it could be, but it blends well. Despite what others may say they smell, I do happen to get a lot of leather out of this.

This is the original A*men, without the tar note, without the heavy chocolate fudge, and with an added hefty dose of leather. Now whether you like this type of leather or not is your choice.. I find it a bit sharp and "rough around the edges". I would love to see this re-released with a better leather note, like if it had the leather from John Varvatos.. it would be to die for!

Still a solid choice from the line.
07th January, 2017

Lalique pour Homme Equus by Lalique

At first I was disappointed as I got this recommendation based on another fragrance that I adore: Fou d'Absinthe.. I can assure everybody that they have no similarities.. which is unfortunate.

So I blind bought this based on what I thought it was gonna smell like. So obviously at first I was disappointed, but it really grew on me fast.

To sum this up fast.. this basically smells like a combination of lemonade, and iced tea, like Lipton Brisk or something. I haven't read anyone get that from this, but that's what comes to mind for me. There's some spice in the background, pepper or something.. and some woods in the dry down. To me this is nothing even remotely resembling a pine fragrance, or a forest.

I should note that if you get a bottle of this.. don't be confused. It says "Equus" no where on the box, at least on the current ones. It looks the same as Lalique pour Homme from the outside, until you see the bottle which has a horse/knight head.

I do like Equus, but I can't see myself reaching for it often.. To me there are much better options from this amazing fragrance house.
04th January, 2017

Royall Bay Rhum by Royall Lyme of Bermuda

One of the better bay rum's out there. It does have sort of a "bandaid" smell in the background though, but you may not notice it. The bay leaf and cloves are balances out evenly.. I don't get menthol though. I also get some extra pepper.. more than other bay rum's, this one is a tad spicier due to that added pepper.

Still though, I haven't found "THE" bay rum, but this one is as close as I've come; aside from Clubman's Virgin Island Bay Rum, which I feel is the best smell wise, but lacks severely in performance.
31st December, 2016

Boss Orange Man by Hugo Boss

This isn't bad. Mostly just a creamy vanilla, with some red apple/orange smell. It doesn't smell overly sweet, or synthetic, despite other reviewers. I don't really get any incense.. mostly just vanilla. Nice change of pace though from the typical tonka bean.

It may not be a generic tonka bean, but yes it is still a bit generic.. well maybe just a bit simple. Pleasant though.

Encre Noire Sport by Lalique

Fantastic, somewhat complex vetiver, that doesn't stray far from the original.

Personally, I prefer the original, because of the dark, inky, gothic vibe.. not many like it, especially at this price.

Encre Noire Sport is no slouch though. It opens up similar to Grey Vetiver, with the more citrusy take on vetiver. After it settles in, it completely changes into a dominant lavender, which can't go unnoticed. It smells like dryer sheets. By the 3-4 hour mark it warps back into the original Encre Noire DNA, a bit lighter, without the heavy dark vibe.

I think I actually get better longevity with this version too. I wasn't really set on such a blast of lavender in the mid, especially to the point where it completely changed the fragrance to me, but it's nice. Still, I prefer the original, but for the price, you might as well own both.

Once the newer version drops down in price some more, I will get that one as well.

Carven Homme (original) by Carven

To me, this is 60% Gucci Envy, 30% CK Obsession, 10% Davidoff Zino. As much as I dislike Zino, it manages to take the good out of Zino and combine it well with spices and aromatic notes.

I do own a bottle, and although I rarely reach for it, it's undoubtedly a high score for me. Quality, well blended, timeless fragrance. Price is still good, worth a blind buy, even if you don't plan on wearing it often. Sillage and longevity are mediocre for me, around the 5 hours mark.. this doesn't matter though.

Even if you own 200+ bottles like myself.. there is only one Carven Homme.. even if you wear it once a year, buy a bottle, before they are gone entirely, and going for 200+ on Ebay, because I guarantee it to be the case here in a few years with this modern classic.

L'Eau Bleue d'Issey Eau Fraîche by Issey Miyake

The original is a groundbreaking designer fragrance imo, and this flanker is pretty solid too. My biggest gripe is longevity though, I get 2-3 hours max. The spearmint note is really nice, haven't found a mint note this good since Live Jazz. The opening is similar to the original but only for a few seconds, before it becomes mint and citrus dominated. The rosemary is much more toned down than the original, and overall it's more fresh as the bottle says.

I loved the original so much that I was considering blind buying this at retail when I heard it was coming out. Though I knew if I waited I would find it on sale. Unfortunately for a couple years, it was nowhere to be found, until recently. As I picked up a big bottle for about $25, I don't think I would pay more than $30 for the 4.2 oz.
25th December, 2016

Flight Sport by Michael Jordan

Trust me Bn'ers, this is one of the worst smelling fragrances out there. Other than the fact that it smells fresh, it has no redeeming qualities. It doesn't last long, it doesn't project, but why would you want it to? It smells disgusting! I can't even describe notes.. it's like somebody took plastic and melted it down, then poured that nasty smelling anti dandruff (T-Gel?) shampoo on it. This doesn't smell like something you wanna smell like, trust me. Avoid at all costs, even if somebody hands you a bottle, just walk away!

It will earn an achievement from me though. Top 10 worst designers of all time. Not far behind is Chrome Sport.
06th December, 2016

Dunhill Fresh by Dunhill

This smells like Nautica Voyage mixed with tennis balls, or "that new car smell" spray or air freshener's. Fresh is ok, but I got rid of my bottle because I never wear it. It's a run of the mill aquatic with a twist to it.
27th November, 2016

Lacoste L!VE by Lacoste

Lacoste Live I find to be very pleasant smelling. Non offensive, fruity and fresh. to me it smells similar to I Am King, only deeper, darker, and toned down. Not to say this is a dark fragrance, because it isn't.

Notes.. I don't really get lime. I do get the aquatic notes, and green notes, and licorice more into the heart. I get a tangerine like note mixed with subtle woods over a light tonka bean background. More so, the sweetness from tonka bean, not as much the smell, which is good, since I don't really like the smell of tonka bean. There's also this awesome incense smell, but it's pretty light, and you really have to stick your nose into the skin to smell it. The licorice note isn't too noticeable, it actually smells like licorice too and not anise.

I do like it, but it's a bit played out. The whole fruity thing, using intriguing notes to lure you in. It's pretty generic really, and the darker side of it isn't pronounced enough to give it that niche like kick that us frag heads desire and crave, as most of us are sick of the generic stuff.

The worse part is projection and longevity are pretty much non existent.
26th November, 2016

Émeraude by Coty

Smells like a feminine powdery version of Habit Rouge. This should have been called Headache, because that's what it is.

Rogue Man by Rihanna

This is compared to The One. I scored a bottle for under 10 bucks. The bottle itself is probably the highlight of the fragrance. The fragrance is good, but a bit generic to me. It definitely has a strong resemblance to The One, but it's much less smooth. To me, (although not listed in notes) I get a hefty dose of leather from mid to end. A predominantly amber dry down finishes this one off. It sits close to the skin, and longevity is around the 5-6 hour mark on me.

I prefer The One, better yet, The One EDP.. not because it's pricier, because it's simply better. However Rogue is not bad, very wearable, and worth a try if you can't afford The One.

Black Soul Imperial by Ted Lapidus

Rarely have I gotten the bubblegum smell that people say they get from other fragrances, but I actually get it here in the opening. Bubblegum meets 1 Million, less sweet, and more powdery. As it dries, I get a sharp woody note which I presume is the cedar. I really don't get much of a coffee vibe here, as others allude to, which is why I blind bought this one. I guess maybe I am spoiled by such authentic coffee notes like in Pure Coffee..

To me, Black Soul Imperial is a let down. My first bottle from this house, and really the only one I had any interest in, except maybe the original to this as well. Though I don't see myself buying another from this brand again. I find the quality and craftsmanship to be below average. I also find that the smell is a bit redundant.

Success by Trump by Donald Trump

Trump Success really rubs me the wrong away. It has some good, the peach, nectarine, apricot opening, but it's heavily clouded by a horrible fake aquatic (not calone), chlorine water, "wet hair" note. You know what I mean. The same that's in the dry down of Unforgivable, Wall Street, and many others. The smell of Elmer's Glue lingers in there too.

Even if it didn't have these drawbacks, it would be oh so boring, barely enough for a neutral. These gross smelling accords give it a thumbs down for me, for sure.
13th November, 2016

Tom Ford Noir Extreme by Tom Ford

I can't believe nobody has compared this to Varvatos Vintage. They are so much a like. Except Noir Extreme becomes an amber beast in the dry down, and something like Eau des Baux in the mid, raining down vanilla, tonka, and spice.

To sum things up promptly.. Noir Extreme is a masterpiece. Parts La Nuit, Eau des Baux, Varvatos Vintage. Beast mode at some point in the opening. Sensual, sexy, refined. Longevity is about 6-8 hours on me, while projection is about average, maybe slightly above as it settles in a little. A must try for any fraghead!
11th November, 2016

Eternity Summer for Men 2016 by Calvin Klein

Close to a thumbs up for me. The opening is very enjoyable, almost has a grape smell to me, with a Summer twist on it. However the dry down is too much like Issey Miyake, a fragrance I really don't care for.
10th November, 2016

Samba Star Man by Perfumer's Workshop

Pretty boring, linear, kind of cheap smelling. There is a hefty dose of cocoa in the opening, as Renato says. It reminds me of the cocoa in 125 Years Your Companion For Life, or in CK In2U. A fairly strong presences of lavender here. The dry down is a creamy sandalwood/vanilla combo. Lasting power is roughly 5-6 hours on me, with projection on the weaker side.

This just smells boring, not much going on. Mediocre at best.
07th November, 2016

cK one Summer 2013 by Calvin Klein

Opens nicely. Dries down into a scrubber pretty much, way too synthetic and chemical smelling to enjoy.
02nd November, 2016

Solare by Vince Camuto

Solare is a nice smelling scent, as others have said, a lighter take on Ultra Zest. Longevity is a big problem for me, I get no more than 2 hours if I'm lucky. This (and my other Camuto reviews) are not based off of one wearing either, but .25 oz bottles. So I have gotten many wears of it, and a good feel.

The plus side, this is always marked down in department stores, which you don't see too often, so if you're a mall shopper, well there you go. It does get compliments.

The scent itself. Can't really detect individual notes, other than orange, and white musk. Perhaps a light vanilla or amber undertone. Again like most Camuto's it just feels incomplete, doesn't go anywhere.

Vince Camuto Homme by Vince Camuto

The notes are very misleading here. This basically smells like lemon and nail polish remover. Not that toxic though, actually not very chemical smelling, but the feel of those 2 aromas is still there.

It has like a white musky undertone, and it just goes nowhere, doesn't last either, but that's a good thing here, since it smells awful.

Vince Camuto for Men by Vince Camuto

Mediocre at, best, almost a thumbs down. To me this smells pretty similar to Phat Farm Atman, which was a classy leather type fragrance. Camuto though is more refined, as the leather is blended well here. It's more modern too. Also reminds me a little bit of Only the Brave from Diesel.

Overall it's just too simplistic for my taste, and barely done well. The only thing nice is that it's versatile, and masculine.

Samba Skin Man by Perfumer's Workshop

Simply Awesome! Finally got a bottle of this, at a reasonable cost. This is one of the harder to find Samba's and some places are asking for prices far beyond the $12 or so sticker.

What a fantastic fragrance. Whether or not this is meant to copy Pure Havane or not is beyond me. I have tried Pure Havane once, and this smells identical to it, in terms of smell, and quality. Usually you don't get both when another brand is going out to clone another fragrance.

Now I have plenty of experience with the Samba brand, and believe me they are not a knock off brand. They have plenty of original fragrances. Skin on the other hand, to me is a carbon copy of Pure Havane, again whether or not that was the intention is beyond me.

Whether or not this fragrance is worth owning, is a no brainer. If you see it at a good price, get it. Even if you own Pure Havane, this could be your back up bottle, or vice versa.
27th October, 2016

Eternity for Men Aqua by Calvin Klein

Bought this, and gave it to my father. There are far better aquatics out there to me.

Polo Blue is the much better of the 2, but more expensive. Eternity Aqua should be more crisp, but it lays flat and gets stuffy to me.

I really only bought this one because I was having a conversation about fragrances with 2 of my friends (non BN'ers, just average Joe's) and when I asked their favorite, both said Eternity Aqua. Heh.
11th October, 2016

Beyond Paradise for Men by Estée Lauder

This is a better version of Curve Wave. Those who haven't tried Wave, to compare to a more popular fragrance, it's along the lines of Sean John Unforgivable.

That said.. still a bit odd. Sort of a sour aquatic, very synthetic smelling. Has okay longevity for an aquatic, perhaps above average, but nothing like some of the Bvlgari aquatic's.
10th October, 2016

cK one Summer 2016 by Calvin Klein

To me, this is better than 2013, but not as good as 2014. They are all very different. (Haven't smelled 2015)

CK One Summer 2016, is very citrusy, very fresh, very uplifting. If you live in a climate like Florida where it's humid, you won't go unnoticed wearing this. Even though it may seem boring to us aficionado's who are used to expecting so much more from our fragrances.

Mojito accord? Hmm, not so much. I do get a blast of lemon and guava in the opening, yes I can actually smell guava. It pretty much dries down to nothing though, and it doesn't last for more than 2 hours. So I can't give it a thumbs up, because performance is lacking. But, if somebody gets a whiff of you in the first 30 minutes, they will love it! At least in my world. I notice citrus and aquatics render far more compliments than any other genre, at least here in Florida.

Sillage is pretty good, again just in the first half hour, after that, expect a light bubble around you, maybe somebody will smell you in arms reach.

The bottle is awesome on this! it has a palmetto or palm tree leaf engraved into the back of the bottle. Out of the 3 Summer bottles I currently own, this one is by far the best (bottle design, not scent).

4711 Echt Kölnisch Wasser by 4711

Ehh, bought a bottle for 6 bucks. No big loss. It smells fresh, but it also smells cheap, pungent, and even a little bit like plastic.

I'm sure the vintage stuff was great, back before they used all types of chemicals in perfumes. Looking at the notes though, and based on what I smell, and how people around me react to this, it's in need of a serious reformulation. The chemicals are clashing with the notes, it just smells bad.

I do like displaying the bottle with my collection though. Despite the bottle just having a cheap cap and sticker around it, it still looks old fashioned, and I like the look a lot.

Now Men by Azzaro

Kind of smells like a more citrusy Silver Mountain Water. I actually like this one a bit, Has a nice grapefruit opening note. Definitely a metallic or paper like smelling accord in here, may even be the tea note. I think it adds character to what would be an overall boring citrus.

I have a bottle, but haven't worn it much yet. I may come back and revise this review if my thoughts change.

23 by Michael Jordan

This isn't bad, especially at its price. Smells almost identical to Halston Unbound, which is now discontinued. Acqua di Gio, to me, not so much. Unbound and Jordan 23 are both in the same aquatic category, but they lean more toward the greener side, and I don't mean trees, moss, vetiver, I mean more like grassy, and vegetate. AdG is more of a straight aquatic, with a musky dry down.

If you're like me, and you noticed the different directions between AdG and Unbound, you will see MJ 23 as more of a clone to Unbound. Unbound was an excellent fragrance too. Performance wise, it beats out 23 for sure, but at 23's price, you can't really complain.

MJ 23 smells pleasant, gets compliments, has no nasty cheap smelling chemical or overly synthetic accords. It's a no brainer. One of the best cheap ultra fresh fragrances out there, in terms of smell alone.

Chrome United by Azzaro

Decent creamy citrus opening, reminds me of Burberry Brit Rythem mixed with Bvlgari BLV, with some citrus added. The opening is actually nice. Within 10 minutes, it turns into basically Chrome Sport, that disgusting chemical, fake water, wet dog, synthetic nail polish remover smell. Horrible dry down, just repulsive. Not as bad as Sport's dry down, but it's pretty bad.

I was sent this bottle by Fragnet by mistake, they were supposed to send me Bowling Green.. not sure how they get the 2 mixed up? Nevertheless, I decided to keep it to see if maybe I got a winner (plus Fragnet's customer service wouldn't give a damn to try and make things right anyways) Anyways, this isn't something I ever wanted to try. Thus far no Chrome flankers have impressed me.
20th September, 2016