Reviews by The_Cologneist

The_Cologneist's avatar
    The_Cologneist

Beckham Signature for Him by Beckham

I guess this is ok, if you're looking for a signature scent for the Summer, or maybe even Spring. This is basically a citrus fragrance, with a mild tangerine note, a slight aquatic vibe from the melon, surrounded by citrus smelling floral notes. It's kind of a lighter green type scent.

Quite transparent. As others have said, longevity and projection are a bit week. Longevity is spotty for me.. it goes away then comes back. Some may enjoy fragrance that do this, I personally do not, because it then messes with whatever fragrance I put on later. Projection is on the weak side. The fragrance itself is along the lines of Versace pH, and Adidas Moves, as it is a vibrant citrus type scent with an aquatic feel. Probably most like Unforgivable though, but with much less melon.

17 November, 2012

F pour Homme Black by Salvatore Ferragamo

Opens up with a sharp, and pungent lavender and citrus combo, and dries down with an overdose of tonka bean, basically. I see the comparisons to La Nuit, TdH, and Allure Homme for sure. Problem is, those fragrances are well rounded, F Black is quite "rough around the edges". I loved it at first, but more so, because of all the positive reviews. After a while, I realized it was just another fragrance trying too hard to fit into what's in demand right now. F Black has its positives, it projects like a beast, and lasts forever, granted you like the smell. I enjoy the mid notes, where it becomes a smoother version of the opening with some spices and a little tonka; but beginning and end are turn offs. Has a chemical like odor throughout. Almost worthy of a thumbs down. You be the judge!

26 October, 2012 (Last Edited: 26 March, 2013)

Ulysse by Vicky Tiel

Unless you read the reviews for Ulysse, you probably would walk right past it. This fragrance gets a lot of praise from the people who have tried it, or own it. Unfortunatley for my self, it's just so & so. If you follow my reviews, you should know, it's no secret that I'm not a fan of musky fragrances. Ulysse is very heavy on the musk.

Ulysse opens up with sort of a melon/honeysuckle top (possibly even carnation flower?), with a heavy dose of lavender and musk underneath it. Within 5 minutes or so, the melon top fades, and you're left with nothing but lavender and musk. Projection is fair, longevity is decent -- at about 4-5 hours. This fragrance is very similar to PS Casual, but with a more interesting top note(s)/ The dry down rids itself of the other notes, and leaves you with a powdery musk. From beginning to end though; you can expect powder, florals, and musk.

I would actually have preferred this scent more if the musk was toned down, as both this and Casual have a nice blend of floral and powdery notes, but with too much musk for my liking. Regardless, Ulysse is a casual scent you can wear to the office every day, if these notes float your boat.

25 October, 2012

McGraw Silver by Tim McGraw

Somewhat reminiscent of Creed Aventus. Ironically, the bottles color scheme and presentation are pretty similar. Whether this was trying to rip off Aventus or not remains to be heard. Both were released in 2010, so who's to know which one was released first.

Regardless, Silver's composition is simple, pineapple and leather, although neither of these notes listed in the pyramid, this is what I get. Although the combination sounds good, the concoction here is not that great. Decent though. It does have this foggy/cloudy feel to it that ruins things. It also reminds me of Polo Explorer to some degree.

14 September, 2012

Lanvin L'Homme by Lanvin

A quite suitable everyday scent, year round for any event/lifestyle/occasion. But, too boring for me. This is a more subtle version of Love & Luck in my opinion, and far more linear. I basically get a light creamy lavender, with citrus, spices, and white musk. Longevity is mediocre, at around the 5 hour mark. However, it sits rather close to the skin for 4 of those hours. The dry down reminds me of Burberry Touch, but lighter, with a dab of sandalwood.

Bulgari Man by Bulgari

Bvlgari Man is certainly my least favorite from this somewhat above average designer fragrance house. I have tried pretty much the entire line of men's fragrances, except for some of the Aqva flankers. Many of their fragrances are bottle worthy, but I don't feel the same with Bvlgari Man.

Man opens up with a sour citrus and woods accord, very reminiscent of Terre d'Hermes, Loewe 7, and Hypnose by Lancome. It fades down quick into a mostly musky fragrance. Eventually, a series of woodsy notes come in at the dry down, and although the nicest part of the fragrance, it's not enough to get my vote. Projection is very poor on me, but longevity is pretty solid, with 8+ hours.

Not really my thing. Especially with greats like BLV Notte, Black, Xtreme pH and others. Hopefully Bvlgari Man, won't be a sign of things to come from this house.

Original Penguin for Men by Original Penguin

The opening is pretty vile, the pepper note is done well though, I sense a pink pepper. The rest of it is all over the place. The mid gets kind of nice, turns into like a black cherry cola like scent, also reminiscent of a light Escada Magnetism, the dry down is sweet and musky.

This is a good fragrance if you like dry downs more than openings, and you love orientals, this one hits the spots there. Longevity is about 6 hours, but projection is on the weak side on my skin. I personally don't this fragrance unique, definitley not the opening, however, the dry down is a little different. Think Musc Ravageur, creamy vanilla and musk.

Artisan Black by John Varvatos

A lot of odd notes here, that I don't wanna read. So I'll make this short and sweet. Don't even read the notes if you've smelled the original. Unlike other flankers, this one actually mimics the original. And it actually is "black". Darker than the original, more character, more charm. Not just an overdose of neroli. Add some leather though, and that about sums it up. The rather odd combination is excellent! Longevity is also pretty good on me, as I get 6-8 hours, with mediocre sillage/projection.

04 September, 2012

Encounter by Calvin Klein

Very mediocre at best. The opening gives me the typical CK crap, an array of synthetic smelling fruity notes, mashed together. After 20 minutes it's gone..

After 40 minutes it's back? Odd. I get oud. Yup, I said it.. there's oud! Is it good? No, not really, but it's an attempt of maybe better things to come. I couldn't just sit there and smell my hand, because it would smell like it was gone. I had to take a whiff.. clear the nasal passages, and then take another whiff some seconds after. The oud eventually mixes with a sharp spicy cedar, and some sort of incense. While it may sound good, it really isn't, the notes are there, but the quality is horrible.

Almost thumbs down worthy, in my book. Unbalanced and unorganized scent. The dry down improves it, but it still lacks quality. Regardless, the question is answered. CK can do oud. A for effort, A for oud (not this oud, but the demonstration of oud in general), F for everything else.

04 September, 2012

Christian Audigier For Him by Ed Hardy [Christian Audigier]

To my surprise, nobody has reviewed this fragrance. This is actually a well known fragrance amongst average Joe's, as it's sold in most retail stores at retail prices; like Kohl's, Belk's, The Men's Warehouse, etc.

The opening is a berry blast. Blackberry, blueberries, accompanied with a dark pear note, vetiver and suede, all shine through from the start. The berries die off, the pear becomes more noticeable, remains dark, and combines with an array of notes. The result, is an oakmoss, vetiver and leather prominent dry down, with a little bit of fruit and cinnamon there to keep it interesting.

Projection is weak, and longevity is about 6 hours. I'm not too thrilled with this one, other than its rich berry set of top notes. I have Michael Kors for men which is the way this fragrance dries down, only MK is much better.

Lacoste Elegance by Lacoste

An underrated gem is Lacoste Elegance. It opens up with a blast of white pepper (definitley not black pepper), and a confusing background, but just give it a second. Ahh, here comes the mint, it's raining mint leaves. Mint, mint, mint! Eventually it turns into a combination of raspberry, chocolate mocha, and a great mint note that is less intense than the opening. With some citrus in the background, and a little spice. The combination of the raspberry and citrus, makes me think of watermelon flavored Bubble Yum. The base brings in some sandalwood and amber. It slouches in the projection department from beginning to end, but lasts a good 8-10 hours.

I would say it's sort of a mix of a very light Fuel for Life, with a very light A*Men, minus the tar and patchouli of course. The reason I say A*Men, is because of A*Men's distinctive chocolate fudge note that I haven't found in any other fragrances. I feel Elegance has it, but much much lighter, with a mocha kick to it.

I really enjoy Elegance, and would love to know the perfumer behind this fragrance. If anyone knows, please message me!

Nightflight by Joop!

Not that good. In my attempts to find a great designer pineapple fragrance, I stumbled upon Nighflight. It opens up with a lemon, bergamot, and pineapple. In a sense, it reminds me of a pineapple lifesavers candy, which would have been okay, if this fish like note wasn't accompanied with it. This same repulsive note that I have encountered in many designer fragrances over the years. For me to pretend it's not there is just impossible, as I am extremely critical with smell.

However, once it eventually dies down, I am left a decent amber, sandalwood and light fruity dry down. Not the worst pineapple note, but not the greatest either, similar to that in Avatar, which is an excellent cheapy, that is ruined by this fishy fruity note. These 2 fragrances actually smell quite similar to one another, I do prefer Avatar for sure. In terms of pineapple fragrances, thus far, Jaguar Vision's pineapple note is the best I have smelled, but it doesn't last very long. It's very much like the pineapple note from the good batched of Aventus.

Nightflight lasts a good 8 hours on my skin, with strong projection in the first 2 hours, and mild projection throughout the life of the fragrance. Actually.. very good in the projection department, and never cloying or overpowering. The smell itself just doesn't work for me.

Habit Rouge by Guerlain

One of the most overrated fragrances ever, and certainly the most overrated from the house of Guerlain.

I am sure, a lot of the hype on this one comes from fans of Guerlain, similar to the scenario with Bleu de Chanel and Chanel lovers, with BdC, being just an average fragrance.

Habit Rouge, is bland, boring, and ancient smelling. While many will not put an age on a fragrance, I most certainly will. Habit Rouge smells old! The opening is a bergamot bomb, with the smell of an old bag of make up, you could say powdery too. If you enjoy powder and bergamot, you'll enjoy this.

There are things I would rather smell like, other than being doused in talcum powder and bathed in bergamot oil.

29 August, 2012

Burberry Summer for Men by Burberry

This review is based off of the 2009 version.

Frankly, I am not a fan of citrus fragrances, but this one hits the spot. It opens with a sweet yet tart citrus accord, I presume this is the yuzu note. White musk is definitley noticeable in the opening, along with green apple and mint. The mint is pretty subdued, stays in the background, which is a shame, because it's a great mint note! It dries down with some sort of earthy spice, and earthy woodsy notes; bare in mind, very subdued, as the main stars here are yuzu, green apple, white musk, and mint.

Kind of generic really, but executed well. Very balanced, with great longevity and adequate projection.

29 August, 2012

Emporio Armani Diamonds for Men by Giorgio Armani

It took me a while with this one, but I still don't get the strawberries, and get very little cocoa that everyone speaks of. The opening is a mix of citruses and alcohol, smells very synthetic and cheap. Eventually the dry down of woodsy notes with a hint of a soft/light cocoa take effect. Opening sucks, dry down is pretty nice. Not worth buying though.

26 August, 2012 (Last Edited: 27 May, 2014)

David Beckham Homme by Beckham

I agree with Mario, this is a less offensive TdH. Far more simple, far more versatile. Big compliment getter as well. Does not smell cheap at all, but has a cheap tag.

23 August, 2012

PS by Paul Sebastian

A better, more wearable version of CK Obsession. Lighter, yet lasts longer. Great signature scent material. Not exactly my style though.

20th August, 2012

The Secret by Antonio Banderas

Very similar to 1 Million, but not nearly as good. You can tell they ran out of money after the top notes. A horrible bitter leather note comes in and dominates the majority of the fragrance. Overall, it seems unbalanced and childish. Props to the top notes though, very much like 1 Million, which is a 5 star fragrance imo.

20th August, 2012

Essential Sport by Lacoste

A promising grapefruit and citrus opening, smells zesty and fresh, but turns into a chemical mess that smells like plastic on my skin after the 15 minute mark. It just gets worse and worse as it dries down.

16 August, 2012

Light Blue Pour Homme Living Stromboli by Dolce & Gabbana

Very impressive designer fragrance. I have only worn it once, but enjoyed it from start to finish. In a nutshell, I get a barber shop scent, reminiscent of Rive Gauche, but much more fresh. A noticeable rosemary note which isn't listed here on BN. I like it a lot.

09 August, 2012

Jaguar Vision by Jaguar

Starts off as Aventus (the batches with lots of pineapple), less smokey though. Turns into Black XS. Very nice, but since I own Black XS, the 2 hours of pineapple aren't enough for me, since this smells like Black XS longer than it does Aventus. Regardless, this is probably the best I have smelled from Jaguar, as their other fragrances all have a sour tangerine note, that doesn't particularly sit well with me.

Update: After wearing it more, I take back as much comparison to the two. It has the pineapple note from Aventus but not the woods, instead it's got tonka, lots & lots of tonka! It eventually gets ruined by the tonka imo, although it's nice and creamy, it ruins a potential Aventus clone. It still has some of Black XS DNA in there too, but more synthetic smelling. To me, it reminds me of Lifesavers candy.

Longevity is excellent as is projection. 8 hours minimum.

14 July, 2012 (Last Edited: 16 July, 2012)

Time for Peace for Him by Kenzo

An amazing fragrance from an amazing perfumer. When I wear Time for Peace, I can't help but think YSL M7, there's something about it that reminds me of it. Maybe it's the cherry like accord that mixes with the herbal smell; it comes off as very medicinal.

In the opening I get a complex blend of many notes. Sage, mandarin, cherry, tonka, incense, cinnamon, with a very resinous amber in the background. Like others have said, this is a soft fragrance. Soft, but ever so bold. TfP really makes a statement. Is it worth 200+ a bottle.. well, that's what you would be spending, roughly, to get your hands on this rare little gem. If you can afford it, then get it, ya, it's really good!

14 July, 2012

Bleu de Chanel by Chanel

Bleu de Chanel opens with a fresh and promising citrus medley. I get lots of bergamot, orange, lemon, grapefruit. Within 10 minutes though, this is gone, and I'm left with a boring floral, woodsy, musky smell, that stays this way for the next 8 hours. The dry down smells almost identical to Paul Sebastian Casual, which itself, is an utterly boring fragrance.

Although well made, and put together, typical and boring, not the best quality from a Chanel fragrance either. Perhaps one of the better sporty fragrances out there, but that doesn't say much, since.. in the world of sporty fragrances, the selection is limited to begin with. If the price of a 3.4 oz bottle of Bleu de Chanel was 40 bucks, instead of what it is, it might be a decent value.

08 July, 2012

Infusion de Vétiver by Prada

Weird.. really strange one here. It opens up with a promising green and soapy vetiver. Then quickly becomes sweet and starts to smell like licorice.. black licorice to be exact. A rather strange accord, it's nice but it rubs my nose the wrong way. I think of IdV as a better take on Kenzoair really, with the combination of vetiver and licorice.. Not anise.. LICORICE. Surprisingly nobody has gotten this out of it, except for me. Regardless, if a fresh vetiver scent is what you desire, I would go the route of Grey Vetiver, or Bois Blonds, as IdV is just mediocre at best.

12 June, 2012

Allure Homme Edition Blanche by Chanel

Certainly one of the better citrus fragrances out there, although becoming harder and harder to find as it is now discontinued. From the opening, I get a heavy dose of lemon, although not lemon alone, I also get some other orange citruses, whether orange, tangerine, or maybe even bergamot, there is definitley something there besides lemon. I also get a little neroli, and pink pepper. The pepper dies down and the vanilla begins to emerge, this all happens in the opening. It dies down to vanilla, light citrus, and soft woods on my skin. The first 10 minutes or so, isn't exactly favorable to me. It is similar to Allure Homme Sport in that period, where the pepper clashes with the citrus. To my nose, they just don't mesh well together. Fortunately, Chnael's quality prevails, as does the great Jacques Polge. Edition Blanche is clearly a part of Polge's workmanship. People say the longevity is horrid, but it's really excellent. It lasts a good 8-10 hours, although it does sit very close to the skin after the 2 hour mark.

10th June, 2012

Antidote by Viktor & Rolf

Lots of incense in the opening, smokey, niche quality all the way. Reminiscent of a more complex Gucci Envy. Accompanied by a sweet dried fruit accord, something like cherries. Cherry in the sense of dry and old, not fresh and juicy, I think of the cherry accord in M7's opening. Cinnamon in the background, eventually becomes the front note. Finally a very resinous amber base, with the incense still kicking a little bit. Longevity is 8-10 hours on my skin, but mostly a skin scent. Very enjoyable scent here, especially if you love incense. A lot of notes listed in this one. But the main players are: incense, cinnamon, amber.

10th June, 2012

Monsieur Balmain (new) by Pierre Balmain

Opens up with fresh lemons. Quickly becomes a candy like lemon. I smell some geranium and mint somewhere in here. A soft woods base ties it together nicely. The dry down is very reminiscent of Green Water, as is the entire fragrance really. The difference.. One is lemon, one is mint. Green Water also has better longevity, as I only get about 6 hours out of MB. Projection is about average. My biggest problem is the sprayer, it is horrible! Maybe I just got a dud..

07 June, 2012

A*Men: Le Gôut du Parfum / The Taste of Fragrance [hot chili pepper paste] by

Stunning! An orientalish gourmand, based on the chili note. Simply stunning. Taste of Fragrance opens up with a beautiful wild cherry accord very reminiscent to that in Pure Havane. Quickly, it fades, and the spices come out. I get chili paste, or chili powder, and pink pepper all the way. The cherry like smell is still there, and begins to sweeten up. Whiffs of patchouli and coffee linger in the background. The coffee note, eventually takes over, and dominates for the remainder. A sweetness from tonka bean in the base, along with some soft woods, musk, and a hint of florals.

A beautiful composition, with exceptional longevity and sillage. I believe this one is the best of the flankers, although I have yet to try Pure Shot. It's amazing to see this chili note, mix with the coffee note so well.. it's a beaut!

04 June, 2012

Rouge Royal for Men by Marina de Bourbon

The opening to this is amazing! Imagine M7 without the oud note. I get an herbal cherry opening, reminds me of cherry Halls cough drops. There's a menthol like quality about it, similar to cough drops too, it just goes right up your nose and hits your lungs -- in the best way possible. The honey note becomes very prominent in the middle, as does an exceptionally well done lemon note. As if it couldn't get any better.. the base, I primarily get sandalwood, but to be frank, one of the best and most natural smelling sandalwood phases I have ever smelled, and I LOVE my sandalwood! This fragrance is a true winner, and very inexpensive. Projection is above average as well, and longevity is 8-10 hours on my skin. My only problem is finding the appropriate time to wear this. It can be dressed up or down, but because of the notes, I think it goes better in cooler weather, which is not the season for that right now in Florida. I will be wearing this for sure, after Summer. This fragrance is also very "niche-like", as it is more daring than most of which you would find at the mall. Quality wise, however.. I don't think it is quite niche quality, but it certainly does not smell cheap.

02 June, 2012

Joop! Jump by Joop!

Decent, just very decent. Joop Jump is a bit of a skin scent to me, though I cannot be so certain as I have only worn this one twice. With that said, I cannot really give a full in depth review, but I can tell you what I get from it. Fortunately, the first wearing smelled the same as the second, which is good, so I know that what I got out of it is what it is on my skin. The opening gives me a slightly herbal, but mostly citrus start, smells a bit cheap honestly. The more it dries down, the nicer it becomes. In the middle notes, which take over about 20 minutes after the initial spray.. I get this tomato leaf like accord, only smoother, along with heliotrope, and some creaminess from the tonka bean. It dies down this way, but more emphasis on the tonka, and less on the interesting mid notes. It has this sort of cheap aquatic note throughout the middle and base, the same note that I find in a lot of fragrances. It almost smells like "wet dog". It isn't so much noticeable unless you go searching for it, which is something my nose has been known to do xD

Overall, it is just ok. I think for your buck, 25 dollar-ish range, you can do better.

02 June, 2012