Reviews by The_Cologneist

The_Cologneist's avatar
    The_Cologneist

Salvatore Ferragamo pour Homme by Salvatore Ferragamo

Not quite sure if there's a difference in notes, but I have the limited Platinum Edition of Ferragamo pH. The bottle looks the same, but the juice may be a different color, and the box is not reddish, rather white with silver horizontal lines.

As for the fragrance.. I find it pretty boring. The opening does a great job executing a juicy pink grapefruit note, it's a little salty, with the fig notes behind it. As the top notes very quickly evaporate, it becomes pretty boring.. reminds me very much of Romance Silver, which I do not favor. Spicy, sour, and kind of smells like cheese. Yet women in my world seem to love this.. that's why i am keeping it, lol.

13 February, 2013

L'Eau Froide by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido

L'Eau Froide opens with a minty menthol over a smokey incense with a soapy feel. Very fresh and light, interesting as well. As it dries, the soapiness wears off, the smokiness emerges more, I guess the incense is becoming more prominent here. Musky undertones, and slightly floral in to the base notes.

Longevity is kind of poor, as I only get about 4 or 5 hours with this one. If somebody told me this was a Serge Lutens fragrance, I probably wouldn't believe them. It's far too light and transparent. It is nice though, just not my thing.

Coeur de Noisette by Sinfonia di Note

Promising notes result with an ultimately boring and unbalanced fragrance. Though there is something appealing about it, at times. From the opening Coeur de Noisette gives off this crumbly baked coconut pie like aroma, very gourmand. As it transitions, I really get a very iris like vibe through, until the dry down, where I get more woods and spices, but very delicate. Overall, I am not impressed. It just doesn't feel right on my skin. Maybe it will work for you though.

Kenzo Power Cologne by Kenzo

To me, this is a surprise from Kenzo. Kenzo usually produces more daring designer scents. Power Cologne is anything but daring. It's common -- smells like a million other fragrances, though women's. Floral and citrus, overly sweet and nauseating up top, with that "perfumy" smell going on. A bit too concentrated really; too much packed into the opening. This is nothing like the original Kenzo Power. This is generic, boring, and a headache in a bottle.

Bergamotto Marino by Gianfranco Ferré

Pretty much bergamot and neroli from start to finish. Smells natural; stays pretty linear, with some added florals, musk and oakmoss in the dry down, and lasts a while. Good stuff for sure, niche quality!

26 January, 2013

Vera Wang for Men by Vera Wang

This is a very green and citric vanilla scent for the most part. Longevity and projection are about average on me, projection could be better, I get about 5-6 hours longevity before it's totally gone.

Vera Wang for Men, opens up with a sharp, almost plasticy green mandarin note, along with yuzu, this could be off-putting to some... I struggled with it for a while and then got used to it. An hour or so later, I am left with a sandalwood and leather mixture, with a hunt of tobacco. The dry down is reminiscent of True Religion, or Phat Farm Atman (a very obscure suede scent). This also reminds me of Raw Vanilla for men, and Givenchy Pi.

All in all, it isn't bad, but it's nothing to write home about. I have less than an oz left in my bottle, and I won't be purchasing it again. I'm torn between a neutral rating and a thumbs up, but I think I'll say thumbs up, because this one has history with me.

18 January, 2013 (Last Edited: 11th March, 2014)

Breath of God by B Never Too Busy To Be Beautiful

Disgusting! Absolutely vile!!

Firstly, I will say, that this review is based off of one small wearing. However, Breath of God, is definitley the type of fragrance that you only need to wear once to know if you will love it or hate it.

I poured a small amount from my decant onto my skin. I was met with a fresh cantaloupe type smell, mixed with a rusty paint bucket. Yes, it smells as if a freshly sliced juicy melon, fell into a rusty bucket of paint. Fishy and metallic accords throughout the dry down. I washed it off my skin at about the 20 minute mark.

I may revisit this fragrance at another date, granted I can muster up enough courage to do so. I will give credit where it's due, this stuff is very artistic, and very daring; while also, unwearable.

12 January, 2013

Samba Kiss Me Man by Perfumer's Workshop

Truly one of the best gourmands I have ever smelled. Slap a Hermes tag on it, put it in the Hermessence line, and it will go for hundreds, literally. And how fitting, it is a very linear fragrance, with excellent projection and longevity.

3 words: lemon meringue pie. Sweet lemon and vanilla top notes, with nutmeg, cinnamon, inside of a pie crust. Creamy, sweet, but not cloying at all. What I like the most is there's no tonka bean in here. Don't get me wrong, tonka is a nice enough note, but when you get it dominating your gourmands, over and over and over, it gets a bit annoying. Kiss Me is original, yet so very simple.

For comparisons, I was able to try Mandarina Duck Pure Black recently, and the similarities are astonishing. Pure Black has a lot of tonka bean in it, which was the only main difference for me. Kiss Me smells more natural. A true winner here, and a must try, for any gourmand lover!

12 January, 2013

Vanille Tonka by Nicolaï

Vanille Tonka is a nice enough fragrance, however, it just doesn't serve a purpose for me, other than it smelling nice. Projection isn't that great, and longevity could be better, especially considering it's a gourmand/oriental, from a niche line.. I get roughly 4-5 hours on my skin.

Vanille Tonka opens with a very powdery vanilla, with a touch of dirtiness from the tonka, I'll note that the tonka in this isn't creamy or overly synthetic smelling like many fragrances. In the background, there's a sweet lemon note -- think more along the lines of lemon cookies or cake, as opposed to it in its citric form. The powdery smell dies down, the lemon cookie note emerges more, accompanied by some type of orangey smell, and a little neroli. I believe these are the mid notes, since the base is more about incense and tonka bean. I will say this.. the way the mid notes come together in this fragrance, is very very nice. It becomes a sort of citrus gourmand.

Although nice, it still brings me back to quality. It's really lacking here. Projection, longevity, and purpose in general.

09 January, 2013

Eau des Baux by L'Occitane

This is really good stuff. Starts off spicy with vanilla, finishes off creamy with vanilla and tonka. If ya don't like vanilla, don't even try this one. But if you're like me and you miss vanilla dominated fragrances and are sick of cheap tonka bean dominated ones, you will love this! Smells rich and natural. Tobacco Vanille meets Spicebomb, but outdoes them both. Projects nicely, lasts a good 8 hours minimum.

Not often do I buy back up bottles of fragrances, but with Eau Des Baux, I knew it would be a work horse in my collection, and that's what it is. Very very versatile, but more suitable for cooler days. A+!

01st January, 2013 (Last Edited: 15 January, 2013)

Mandarina Duck Pure Black by Mandarina Duck

Just a boring simple fragrance. An overly sweet tonka bean note dominates this one. I wish the fruity/citrus notes were less muted. Save your money, ya you! You! The one contemplating blind buying this because it's hard to get a sniff of it. Instead, go with Jovan Satisfaction for men, or Samba Kiss Me, they smell about the same, and are a small small fraction of the price!

20th December, 2012

Beckham Signature for Him by Beckham

I guess this is ok, if you're looking for a signature scent for the Summer, or maybe even Spring. This is basically a citrus fragrance, with a mild tangerine note, a slight aquatic vibe from the melon, surrounded by citrus smelling floral notes. It's kind of a lighter green type scent.

Quite transparent. As others have said, longevity and projection are a bit week. Longevity is spotty for me.. it goes away then comes back. Some may enjoy fragrance that do this, I personally do not, because it then messes with whatever fragrance I put on later. Projection is on the weak side. The fragrance itself is along the lines of Versace pH, and Adidas Moves, as it is a vibrant citrus type scent with an aquatic feel. Probably most like Unforgivable though, but with much less melon.

17 November, 2012

F pour Homme Black by Salvatore Ferragamo

Opens up with a sharp, and pungent lavender and citrus combo, and dries down with an overdose of tonka bean, basically. I see the comparisons to La Nuit, TdH, and Allure Homme for sure. Problem is, those fragrances are well rounded, F Black is quite "rough around the edges". I loved it at first, but more so, because of all the positive reviews. After a while, I realized it was just another fragrance trying too hard to fit into what's in demand right now. F Black has its positives, it projects like a beast, and lasts forever, granted you like the smell. I enjoy the mid notes, where it becomes a smoother version of the opening with some spices and a little tonka; but beginning and end are turn offs. Has a chemical like odor throughout. Almost worthy of a thumbs down. You be the judge!

26 October, 2012 (Last Edited: 26 March, 2013)

Ulysse by Vicky Tiel

Unless you read the reviews for Ulysse, you probably would walk right past it. This fragrance gets a lot of praise from the people who have tried it, or own it. Unfortunatley for my self, it's just so & so. If you follow my reviews, you should know, it's no secret that I'm not a fan of musky fragrances. Ulysse is very heavy on the musk.

Ulysse opens up with sort of a melon/honeysuckle top (possibly even carnation flower?), with a heavy dose of lavender and musk underneath it. Within 5 minutes or so, the melon top fades, and you're left with nothing but lavender and musk. Projection is fair, longevity is decent -- at about 4-5 hours. This fragrance is very similar to PS Casual, but with a more interesting top note(s)/ The dry down rids itself of the other notes, and leaves you with a powdery musk. From beginning to end though; you can expect powder, florals, and musk.

I would actually have preferred this scent more if the musk was toned down, as both this and Casual have a nice blend of floral and powdery notes, but with too much musk for my liking. Regardless, Ulysse is a casual scent you can wear to the office every day, if these notes float your boat.

25 October, 2012

McGraw Silver by Tim McGraw

Somewhat reminiscent of Creed Aventus. Ironically, the bottles color scheme and presentation are pretty similar. Whether this was trying to rip off Aventus or not remains to be heard. Both were released in 2010, so who's to know which one was released first.

Regardless, Silver's composition is simple, pineapple and leather, although neither of these notes listed in the pyramid, this is what I get. Although the combination sounds good, the concoction here is not that great. Decent though. It does have this foggy/cloudy feel to it that ruins things. It also reminds me of Polo Explorer to some degree.

14 September, 2012

Lanvin L'Homme by Lanvin

A quite suitable everyday scent, year round for any event/lifestyle/occasion. But, too boring for me. This is a more subtle version of Love & Luck in my opinion, and far more linear. I basically get a light creamy lavender, with citrus, spices, and white musk. Longevity is mediocre, at around the 5 hour mark. However, it sits rather close to the skin for 4 of those hours. The dry down reminds me of Burberry Touch, but lighter, with a dab of sandalwood.

Bulgari Man by Bulgari

Bvlgari Man is certainly my least favorite from this somewhat above average designer fragrance house. I have tried pretty much the entire line of men's fragrances, except for some of the Aqva flankers. Many of their fragrances are bottle worthy, but I don't feel the same with Bvlgari Man.

Man opens up with a sour citrus and woods accord, very reminiscent of Terre d'Hermes, Loewe 7, and Hypnose by Lancome. It fades down quick into a mostly musky fragrance. Eventually, a series of woodsy notes come in at the dry down, and although the nicest part of the fragrance, it's not enough to get my vote. Projection is very poor on me, but longevity is pretty solid, with 8+ hours.

Not really my thing. Especially with greats like BLV Notte, Black, Xtreme pH and others. Hopefully Bvlgari Man, won't be a sign of things to come from this house.

Original Penguin for Men by Original Penguin

The opening is pretty vile, the pepper note is done well though, I sense a pink pepper. The rest of it is all over the place. The mid gets kind of nice, turns into like a black cherry cola like scent, also reminiscent of a light Escada Magnetism, the dry down is sweet and musky.

This is a good fragrance if you like dry downs more than openings, and you love orientals, this one hits the spots there. Longevity is about 6 hours, but projection is on the weak side on my skin. I personally don't this fragrance unique, definitley not the opening, however, the dry down is a little different. Think Musc Ravageur, creamy vanilla and musk.

Artisan Black by John Varvatos

A lot of odd notes here, that I don't wanna read. So I'll make this short and sweet. Don't even read the notes if you've smelled the original. Unlike other flankers, this one actually mimics the original. And it actually is "black". Darker than the original, more character, more charm. Not just an overdose of neroli. Add some leather though, and that about sums it up. The rather odd combination is excellent! Longevity is also pretty good on me, as I get 6-8 hours, with mediocre sillage/projection.

04 September, 2012

Encounter by Calvin Klein

Very mediocre at best. The opening gives me the typical CK crap, an array of synthetic smelling fruity notes, mashed together. After 20 minutes it's gone..

After 40 minutes it's back? Odd. I get oud. Yup, I said it.. there's oud! Is it good? No, not really, but it's an attempt of maybe better things to come. I couldn't just sit there and smell my hand, because it would smell like it was gone. I had to take a whiff.. clear the nasal passages, and then take another whiff some seconds after. The oud eventually mixes with a sharp spicy cedar, and some sort of incense. While it may sound good, it really isn't, the notes are there, but the quality is horrible.

Almost thumbs down worthy, in my book. Unbalanced and unorganized scent. The dry down improves it, but it still lacks quality. Regardless, the question is answered. CK can do oud. A for effort, A for oud (not this oud, but the demonstration of oud in general), F for everything else.

04 September, 2012

Christian Audigier For Him by Ed Hardy [Christian Audigier]

To my surprise, nobody has reviewed this fragrance. This is actually a well known fragrance amongst average Joe's, as it's sold in most retail stores at retail prices; like Kohl's, Belk's, The Men's Warehouse, etc.

The opening is a berry blast. Blackberry, blueberries, accompanied with a dark pear note, vetiver and suede, all shine through from the start. The berries die off, the pear becomes more noticeable, remains dark, and combines with an array of notes. The result, is an oakmoss, vetiver and leather prominent dry down, with a little bit of fruit and cinnamon there to keep it interesting.

Projection is weak, and longevity is about 6 hours. I'm not too thrilled with this one, other than its rich berry set of top notes. I have Michael Kors for men which is the way this fragrance dries down, only MK is much better.

Lacoste Elegance by Lacoste

An underrated gem is Lacoste Elegance. It opens up with a blast of white pepper (definitley not black pepper), and a confusing background, but just give it a second. Ahh, here comes the mint, it's raining mint leaves. Mint, mint, mint! Eventually it turns into a combination of raspberry, chocolate mocha, and a great mint note that is less intense than the opening. With some citrus in the background, and a little spice. The combination of the raspberry and citrus, makes me think of watermelon flavored Bubble Yum. The base brings in some sandalwood and amber. It slouches in the projection department from beginning to end, but lasts a good 8-10 hours.

I would say it's sort of a mix of a very light Fuel for Life, with a very light A*Men, minus the tar and patchouli of course. The reason I say A*Men, is because of A*Men's distinctive chocolate fudge note that I haven't found in any other fragrances. I feel Elegance has it, but much much lighter, with a mocha kick to it.

I really enjoy Elegance, and would love to know the perfumer behind this fragrance. If anyone knows, please message me!

Nightflight by Joop!

Not that good. In my attempts to find a great designer pineapple fragrance, I stumbled upon Nighflight. It opens up with a lemon, bergamot, and pineapple. In a sense, it reminds me of a pineapple lifesavers candy, which would have been okay, if this fish like note wasn't accompanied with it. This same repulsive note that I have encountered in many designer fragrances over the years. For me to pretend it's not there is just impossible, as I am extremely critical with smell.

However, once it eventually dies down, I am left a decent amber, sandalwood and light fruity dry down. Not the worst pineapple note, but not the greatest either, similar to that in Avatar, which is an excellent cheapy, that is ruined by this fishy fruity note. These 2 fragrances actually smell quite similar to one another, I do prefer Avatar for sure. In terms of pineapple fragrances, thus far, Jaguar Vision's pineapple note is the best I have smelled, but it doesn't last very long. It's very much like the pineapple note from the good batched of Aventus.

Nightflight lasts a good 8 hours on my skin, with strong projection in the first 2 hours, and mild projection throughout the life of the fragrance. Actually.. very good in the projection department, and never cloying or overpowering. The smell itself just doesn't work for me.

Habit Rouge by Guerlain

One of the most overrated fragrances ever, and certainly the most overrated from the house of Guerlain.

I am sure, a lot of the hype on this one comes from fans of Guerlain, similar to the scenario with Bleu de Chanel and Chanel lovers, with BdC, being just an average fragrance.

Habit Rouge, is bland, boring, and ancient smelling. While many will not put an age on a fragrance, I most certainly will. Habit Rouge smells old! The opening is a bergamot bomb, with the smell of an old bag of make up, you could say powdery too. If you enjoy powder and bergamot, you'll enjoy this.

There are things I would rather smell like, other than being doused in talcum powder and bathed in bergamot oil.

29 August, 2012

Burberry Summer for Men by Burberry

This review is based off of the 2009 version.

Frankly, I am not a fan of citrus fragrances, but this one hits the spot. It opens with a sweet yet tart citrus accord, I presume this is the yuzu note. White musk is definitley noticeable in the opening, along with green apple and mint. The mint is pretty subdued, stays in the background, which is a shame, because it's a great mint note! It dries down with some sort of earthy spice, and earthy woodsy notes; bare in mind, very subdued, as the main stars here are yuzu, green apple, white musk, and mint.

Kind of generic really, but executed well. Very balanced, with great longevity and adequate projection.

29 August, 2012

Emporio Armani Diamonds for Men by Giorgio Armani

It took me a while with this one, but I still don't get the strawberries, and get very little cocoa that everyone speaks of. The opening is a mix of citruses and alcohol, smells very synthetic and cheap. Eventually the dry down of woodsy notes with a hint of a soft/light cocoa take effect. Opening sucks, dry down is pretty nice. Not worth buying though.

26 August, 2012 (Last Edited: 27 May, 2014)

David Beckham Homme by Beckham

I agree with Mario, this is a less offensive TdH. Far more simple, far more versatile. Big compliment getter as well. Does not smell cheap at all, but has a cheap tag.

23 August, 2012

PS by Paul Sebastian

A better, more wearable version of CK Obsession. Lighter, yet lasts longer. Great signature scent material. Not exactly my style though.

20th August, 2012

The Secret by Antonio Banderas

Very similar to 1 Million, but not nearly as good. You can tell they ran out of money after the top notes. A horrible bitter leather note comes in and dominates the majority of the fragrance. Overall, it seems unbalanced and childish. Props to the top notes though, very much like 1 Million, which is a 5 star fragrance imo.

20th August, 2012

Essential Sport by Lacoste

A promising grapefruit and citrus opening, smells zesty and fresh, but turns into a chemical mess that smells like plastic on my skin after the 15 minute mark. It just gets worse and worse as it dries down.

16 August, 2012