Reviews by The_Cologneist

The_Cologneist's avatar
    The_Cologneist

A*Men: Le Gôut du Parfum / The Taste of Fragrance [hot chili pepper paste] by

Stunning! An orientalish gourmand, based on the chili note. Simply stunning. Taste of Fragrance opens up with a beautiful wild cherry accord very reminiscent to that in Pure Havane. Quickly, it fades, and the spices come out. I get chili paste, or chili powder, and pink pepper all the way. The cherry like smell is still there, and begins to sweeten up. Whiffs of patchouli and coffee linger in the background. The coffee note, eventually takes over, and dominates for the remainder. A sweetness from tonka bean in the base, along with some soft woods, musk, and a hint of florals.

A beautiful composition, with exceptional longevity and sillage. I believe this one is the best of the flankers, although I have yet to try Pure Shot. It's amazing to see this chili note, mix with the coffee note so well.. it's a beaut!

04 June, 2012

Rouge Royal for Men by Marina de Bourbon

The opening to this is amazing! Imagine M7 without the oud note. I get an herbal cherry opening, reminds me of cherry Halls cough drops. There's a menthol like quality about it, similar to cough drops too, it just goes right up your nose and hits your lungs -- in the best way possible. The honey note becomes very prominent in the middle, as does an exceptionally well done lemon note. As if it couldn't get any better.. the base, I primarily get sandalwood, but to be frank, one of the best and most natural smelling sandalwood phases I have ever smelled, and I LOVE my sandalwood! This fragrance is a true winner, and very inexpensive. Projection is above average as well, and longevity is 8-10 hours on my skin. My only problem is finding the appropriate time to wear this. It can be dressed up or down, but because of the notes, I think it goes better in cooler weather, which is not the season for that right now in Florida. I will be wearing this for sure, after Summer. This fragrance is also very "niche-like", as it is more daring than most of which you would find at the mall. Quality wise, however.. I don't think it is quite niche quality, but it certainly does not smell cheap.

02 June, 2012

Joop! Jump by Joop!

Decent, just very decent. Joop Jump is a bit of a skin scent to me, though I cannot be so certain as I have only worn this one twice. With that said, I cannot really give a full in depth review, but I can tell you what I get from it. Fortunately, the first wearing smelled the same as the second, which is good, so I know that what I got out of it is what it is on my skin. The opening gives me a slightly herbal, but mostly citrus start, smells a bit cheap honestly. The more it dries down, the nicer it becomes. In the middle notes, which take over about 20 minutes after the initial spray.. I get this tomato leaf like accord, only smoother, along with heliotrope, and some creaminess from the tonka bean. It dies down this way, but more emphasis on the tonka, and less on the interesting mid notes. It has this sort of cheap aquatic note throughout the middle and base, the same note that I find in a lot of fragrances. It almost smells like "wet dog". It isn't so much noticeable unless you go searching for it, which is something my nose has been known to do xD

Overall, it is just ok. I think for your buck, 25 dollar-ish range, you can do better.

02 June, 2012

Casual for Men by Paul Sebastian

Casual is the most fitting name for this fragrance, because that is exactly what Casual is. It opens up with a nice citrus blend, with some powder and musk. The top fades pretty quick into a floral heart, a floral heart which I am not at all fond of. Jasmine, jasmine, jasmine. LOTS of jasmine. Jasmine is one flower that I do not want to smell like. Fortunately it doesn't project very much at this juncture. Mostly jasmine now, backed with a little spice and powder, the citrus has died off. The jasmine just goes on and on and on, for a good 4 hours. By which point, I get more musk in the base and maybe some soft woods. Projection is below average, which makes this a good casual office scent, granted you love jasmine. Longevity is about 6 hours or so. It's one of those fragrances to me that has potential but gets killed by one or 2 notes. For me, it's the jasmine, and the musk in the base. I'm not much a fan of musk to begin with, I find the musk in this to smell very cheap, and dirty.

28 May, 2012

Scuderia Ferrari Black by Ferrari

Revising my previous review, I was once head over heels for this stuff. It smelled like Boss Bottled at a fraction of the price; lasted as long, projected as well. However, overtime I realized how cheap and sickening Ferrari Black really smelled. Now, Boss Bottled (arguably its predecessor) is definitley synthetic smelling, but at the same time, very balanced. Ferrari Black is not.

In the opening I get a sugary sweet, powdery, vanilla, tonka and apple type smell. It stays very linear, and dries down about the same as how it opens. There's some sort of spiced note in there, my guess is the cinnamon, that just goes right down your throat. I think this is what really ruins it for me. Too much of this, too much vanilla, too much apple, too loud and obnoxious. Would be a good fragrance for a clothing store.. I could totally see like Aeropostal with this one. Or even a cheap Pac Sun line. Bought my bottle for 22 bucks, sold it for 5.

To compare this really, picture an overly sweet version of Caron Pour Un Homme, take out a good deal of Caron's musk, and there ya have it.

26 May, 2012 (Last Edited: 12 December, 2012)

Hugo by Hugo Boss

One of my all time favorite designer fragrances in high school, and still gets much wear from my collection, as I proudly own a 5.1 oz bottle. With such a clash of notes, all of which are highly synthetic smelling, they manage to come together nicely to make one accord in the opening, which to my nose smells like pineapple, cypress, and a little leather. As it dries it gives this "old cheese" smell to many, I see this too, but for some reason, I don't mind it. Hugo doesn't last more than 6 hours on a good day for me, and projection is pretty weak after the first 30 minutes. Overall though, it's quite unique for the designer market, from its release to this day, I haven't come across a big hit like it. Probably because they would have to clone all the synthetic smelling notes in this to generate this overall synthetic smelling accord. I'd hate to throw around the term "synthetic smelling" over & over, but that's what I get. Personally.. synthetic smelling is never a bad thing for me, as long as it comes together well. To an extent, this has some of Tommy's DNA in it, but with more going on. Hard to describe, but easy to wear. A must try in my opinion, but very VERY love or hate.

24 May, 2012

KanaBeach Men by KanaBeach

Heh.. no wonder nobody has bothered to try this. But, of course, I give them all the benefit of the doubt.

Kanabeach most definitely isn't bad smelling, it's actually quite pleasing to the nose, and quite liked amongst the many who got a whiff of me in the first 30 minutes. I stress on "30 minutes" though, because this is pretty much the fragrance's power. Kanabeach opens up with a strong, sweet and synthetic smelling sweet grapefruit note, back by a sweet lime. It quickly dries into a floral center, with a "paper-like" smell.. I suspect this to be the tea note. In the base you get a very very light sandalwood that is anything but woody.

According to the website, they claim this fragrance is built around the vetiver note, which is why I sought after it really. Unfortunately, the vetiver in this is minimalistic, and hard to notice until its been on the skin for 4-6 hours; at which point is a simple lemony, wet woodsy vetiver, similar to most other vetivers. Like the juice, this fragrance is very very blue in smell. The fragrance's color is nice, but clearly dyed and very watered down and thin. To compare it with another, it is very very similar to BHPC Blue, which is supposed to be a knock-off of Polo Sport, which actually smells nothing like Polo Sport. The differences between Kanabeach and BHPC Blue are that Kanabeach develops much more, it does go through phases, but they are very subtle. BHPC on the other hand is very linear, although it projects more.

Anyways, overall, I do not regret buying this, I paid like 17 bucks for a big bottle. The bottle is actually pretty nice. The cap doesn't stay on though, poorly made in fitting, but a nice dark rosewood cap. Kanabeach is a good scent for people who don't like fragrances, I guess. It's pleasing in smell, but very boring and uninspired. This won't murder your wallet though, and it won't get any negative feedback.

26 April, 2012 (Last Edited: 10th March, 2014)

Liberty (Navy) by The American Line

I'd say Liberty is the only good one in the line up. Although it is very very reminiscent of Nautica Voyage. Where, to my nose, the only difference I notice is a lot of musk in this one. It also kind of smells like grape jelly. Unlike the others, this one projects moderately and lasts a good 8+ hours on my skin. I don't pick up any amber in it, as listed.

Devil Dog (Marines) by The American Line

This one is along the lines of 1 Million, though of course, not nearly the quality. As with all of these fragrances maybe except for Liberty, they do smell quite cheap. Devil Dog is no exception. On the plus side, it does have a nice spicy leather note, but it's not enough to win my vote.

Patton (Army) by The American Line

Definitely the most herbal of the line. But behind it comes a cheap chemical odor, ir reminds me of 409 spray. Pass

Rip Tide (Coast Guard) by The American Line

One of the better ones from the line, but oh so repetitive. It opens with a sweet amber/vanilla feel, and some spices. I can't help but to think of a root beer float. I don't get the citrus listed at all. This one is pretty smooth, but rather boring.

08 April, 2012

Stealth (Air Force) by The American Line

A powdery, floral, cheap, metallic, musk. Not a fan of any of these really, but this one is the worst from the line.

08 April, 2012

Bongo for Men by Iconix

A blast of grapefruit initially. Becomes more subtle and sweet with a creamy lemon note, some sweet floral notes, and a little musk. There are no notes I could find on this fragrance, but that's what I get. Nevertheless.. longevity is horrible, as I get no more than 3 hours, and that's on a good day.

31st March, 2012

Red for Men by Giorgio Beverly Hills

There are many notes listed in here, but the pronounced ones are: geranium, leather, oakmoss, cumin, cedar, and although not listed I get a big burst of lavender in the opening.

RED opens with a spicy/minty smell. The mint comes from the geranium I presume. Behind it, you can smell a leather note from the opening, The leather finally gets to the front by the base notes. The middle is where the cumin really comes out, and it just smells very musky. This is my least favorite part of the fragrance. The first 5 minutes or so is quite nice, where I get a powerful lavender, mint/geranium, and spice, with leather behind it. It turns into a cumin takeover, backed by leather. Once the cumin disappears, it turns into mostly leather, oakmoss and cedar.

Not often do I dislike the middle notes of a fragrance, but here I do. The top and base are nice.. take the cumin out of the equation, and we have a winner. I am being biased too because I can't stand animallic notes. While at the same time, I think the cumin makes the fragrance different from most 80's powerhouses. To compare it to another fragrance, it's similar to Polo original in many ways.

30th March, 2012

Paul Smith Man by Paul Smith

I guess poor marketing put this one on the discontinued shelf, as with many PS fragrances. But I'm with Olfactory all the way on this. This and excellent masculine, slightly floral scent. Good all year round, but amazing in the fall and winter.

I'm not a big iris fan, and I know the iris note, and the lipstick like smell it carries with it. PSM doesn't bring that at all. The iris is pretty dominant, but the reason I say "slightly floral" is because it doesn't bring that typical "girly" smelling iris to the table. Instead, you get this dirty iris, backed by patchouli, incense, sandalwood, and cedar (or possibly Iso E). But to my nose, I mostly get iris and cedar. I pick up some citrus notes up top, probably bergamot, as it is a top note master in many fragrances. While in the base I pick up a little of a creaminess from the tonka bean, and my favorite floral note - violet. Not every day do I find violet in the base notes, but here I do. Projection is pretty good for the first 2 or 3 hours, but dies down after. It lasts a good 6-8 hours on a good day, but can be temperamental and last far less.

I'll be biased here, I freakin' love this stuff. I have owned well over 3-400 fragrances, and tried hundreds more. This one is in my top 10. Although I can see where this could offend some people. Don't knock it till ya try it... or do! More for me this way. PSM personifies a modern, masculine, floral; which is something I've been dying to find for years. This has replaced my baby Fahrenheit, and become my new signature scent.

05 March, 2012

David Beckham Instinct Intense by Beckham

Instinct Intense is along the lines of Ferrari Black, Polo Black, etc. As it has a peachy/mango prominent fruit accord, with some else that makes it sort of mysterious. It opens up with a somewhat confusing fruity note, I would say mango, watermelon, or peaches. In due time, it transforms slightly, the fruit note becomes more prominent, there's some bergamot mixed in there, and a little spice from the ginger, it's also very creamy. It dries down with some soft woods, but for the most part stays linear.

I'd say if ya like scents like Polo Black, Usher UR, Daddy Yankee, and such, you would enjoy this one. I was fortunate enough to find a .5 oz bottle for about 6 bucks, which wasn't hard on the wallet. I think it's blind buy worthy if ya can get it cheap enough. It's very inoffensive, and also quite comforting. One of those "guilty pleasure scent". Of course, like with most cheapies from this house, the projection and longevity are horrible. I get 4 hours max out of this, with little projection in the first 30 mins, and horrible projection in the last 3 and half hours.

I'm on the fence with the rating, but I'll go with thumbs up, since it can be found for good prices. The low price can make up for its longevity and projection issues.

03 March, 2012

Samba Nova Homme by Perfumer's Workshop

Boring, repetitive, and flat out foul. Arguably related to Le Male, although this one came out first. It opens with a huge burst of alcohol that is hard not to take in and notice. I get a bitter and soapy and lavender. It pretty much dries down this way. Smells cheap. Pass

23 February, 2012

A*Men Pure Havane by Thierry Mugler

It took me a while to see what was so special about this fragrance, and after several wearings, I have. At first, it smelled like a typical fruity fragrance with some vanilla and an amber base. It reminded me of gummy bears, and it still does a little.

When it first goes on, it's fruity, cherry and strawberry like, with a sweet cinnamon accord, slightly reminiscent of Joop!. As it dries, the fruity notes settle down, and compete for the front stage with the amber and vanilla. The amber and vanilla in this are nicely done, smooth, and creamy. Behind it all is this great sweet tobacco/cigar smell, I picture a Black & Mild. This though, stays in the background the whole time, but the tobacco is definitley there, which is something I couldn't get at first. The honeyed tobacco really smells more like honey, patchouli, amber and vanilla, blended together well. Again though, tobacco is there, just not up front.

Sometimes I wish I could pull off those top notes and dig my nose into this amazing tobacco smell underneath. Unfortunately, the tobacco never becomes prominent in this fragrance.

Projection is good, as is longevity. It's no A*Men in terms of projection, but it does do a great job.

12 February, 2012

Jordan by Michael by Michael Jordan

Almost the same as Chrome. I'll be biased on this one, since I despise Chrome, this one is just as bad, if not worst. Very unbalanced, synthetic, metallic, and poorly crafted.

01st February, 2012

Bulgari pour Homme Soir by Bulgari

Smells like a faint citrus, mixed with wet paper. Picture Chrome, without the metallic accord, and a better blend of citrus. Not bad, but not for me.

27 January, 2012

Diavolo by Antonio Banderas

I agree that it's much like Fahrenheit w/ out the petroleum note. It's also a bit more herbal. It opens up very much like Lucky #6, and as Lucky #6 does, it instantly resembles the Fahrenheit opening. Though it quickly dries down into a green, patchouli, pink pepper, sandalwood, and musk, that's rather pleasant, although very close to the skin. Longevity and projection are both a shame on this. I do prefer it to Lucky #6 though, as it maintains its "Fahrenheit-ness" so to speak, for a much longer period than #6 does. Not my favorite from the AB house, but a good cheapy that doesn't smell too much like everything else.

31st December, 2011

Piment Brûlant by L'Artisan Parfumeur

This one is odd, though I kind of like it. Spices, patchouli, and some sort of soapiness. They combine together along with this metallic note. The spice in this smells like either paprika or chili, along with pepper.

09 December, 2011

Kenzoair by Kenzo

Opens up smelling like sand, dirt, and that smell when ya bite into a licorice jellybean and smell it inside. Fresh, black licorice. The combination eventually develops into a fishy/rusty smell.

The vetiver dry down is nice, but it doesn't make up for the strange elements in this one. Whether I am smelling rust, fish, metal, rubber, sand, dirt, or that smell when you walk into a hair salon. It's just very off-putting.

30th November, 2011

Armani Eau Pour Homme by Giorgio Armani

Bland, boring, cheap-smelling, aromatic/fougere. Chypre-ish but not much until the dry down. I get more lavender than anything. Some dark citrus in the opening. Smells very dated.

There are much better selections from this genre, such as Azzaro pH, and Polo original. I am not thrilled with Armani pH.

21st November, 2011

Baby Blue Jeans by Versace

Starts off as a slightly brighter version of Carrera Black -- same elements.. citrus (more lime), a little dark, powdery. The lemon opening is quite enjoyable.. but then it takes a turn for boredom in the mid notes. Strangely, the base comes back, intriguing me, with an unmentioned cinnamon note, woods, vanilla and musk; the result is somehow very smokey, sweet, and slightly creamy.

One of the few fragrances that takes me from like, to hate, to love. Three specific sets of notes, all doing something different. Like 3 fragrances in one! The base notes are very refined, which makes it feel powdery. It also smells a little powdery in the base, but not nearly as much as in the opening. The musk in the base notes comes out watery to my nose, which I actually enjoy.

Overall: IMO.. Baby Blue Jeans is an old school citrus fragrance. It may definitley feel dated to some, but others will love this. It projects nicely for the first 4 hours, then sits closer to the skin. The base notes can stay on my skin for 10 hours.

14 November, 2011 (Last Edited: 19 January, 2012)

Sables by Annick Goutal

WARNING: Sables lasts extremely long. This could be good or bad; for me, it's a negative. I have a lot of fragrances, and if I wore this too often, they would never see the light. That's right.. Sables lasts for DAYS. Every time I have worn it, I have gotten no less than 48 hours longevity. Projection is very good throughout as well.. but obviously not so much in the 2nd day.

It opens up with a wonderful dark roasted coffee accord, this is likely to be the immortal note.. once it fades a little it becomes spicy and strange. This would be the pepper blending with the immortal. Result: smell of sand. Yes, it truly does smell like sand and maple syrup. Eventually the pepper wears off, and the sandalwood and vanilla kick in and dry down with the immortal.

The opening is very loud and somewhat brash.. but still enjoyable. The sand like accord gives character, and the dry down is beautiful and creamy. There is nothing quite like it, that I have found.. I would classify this as an aromatic/oriental/gourmand. The closest possible fragrances I can compare it to would be Chergui or New Harlem.

My personal preference: I very much enjoy it, but it just lasts too long.. even with showering.

05 November, 2011

Passage d'Enfer by L'Artisan Parfumeur

Starts off very nice and refreshing.. quickly becomes spicy, sour, floral, musky, not for me.

I gave it the benefit of the doubt, and glad that I did. The dry down is a creamy white musk with some incense. Sounds weird, right? It is fantastic! Lasts a good 16 hours too.

Probably my favorite L'Artisan dry down thus far, out of the 20-30 L'Artisan's that I have tried.

04 November, 2011

Essential by Lacoste

A rather pleasant floral/citrus fragrance, with a slight aquatic touch. Different than your typical AdG mockeries; no melons here.

Essential opens up with a fantastic noticeable tangerine note, which immediately reminds me of Clinique Happy. After about 20 minutes or so, the tangerine dies down, a tangy-ness from the tomato leaf and pepper come out in the middle, as well as some florals, and a hidden calone note in the background. Base notes emphasize on the woods for the most part, soft, and slightly floral to the end.

Longevity for me is about 6 hours, with it sitting very close to the skin in the last 3 hours. I would say this is a more in depth take on Happy for Men. Take Happy, mix it with a little bit of Bvlgari Aqva, and voila! Lacoste Essential, is a more enjoyable Summer scent. Light and refreshing, yet has its own character.

27 October, 2011

Esencia Loewe by Loewe

A blast of pine, cypress, woods, and herbs. Lemon up top, as well as some florals -- I pick up on lavender. The lavender which lingers in the background in the opening, and never makes its way to the front, as the pine, and cypress notes dominate this one. What's strange is that pine notes usually come off very sharp; but here.. they are very smooth. An even smoother dry down, and arguably one of the best dry downs ever.

This may be a late 80's fragrance, but I find it to be quite modern and wearable today. If you don't like the big boys like Azzaro pH, Polo original, and such, you may not like this, as this is an aromatic/chypre/fougere. Projects big in the opening, but after an hour or 2, it settles down. Longevity is excellent. Bottle worthy.

24 October, 2011

Green Water by Jacques Fath

Excellent natural smelling peppermint, backed by herbs, with a watery/aquatic feel and some musk as it dries down. A little bit of lime comes and goes in this one, but the mint is really the top player. Easy, simple, sort of light. A lot of mint in this one, but never thick or cloying. Not as good as the spearmint in Live Jazz, but very much up there with it imo. Longevity sucks though, and projection is okay in the first 30 minutes. Lasts about 4 hours unfortunately. 3.3 oz bottle can be found for 20-25 bucks, so the price certainly compensates for its lack of longevity/projection.

18 October, 2011 (Last Edited: 09 November, 2011)