Reviews by The_Cologneist

Zirh Ikon Pure by Zirh

This is nothing like the unwearable Ikon. Although I did like Ikon smell wise, it was hard to pull off. Ikon Pure is much more versatile. A very dreamy citrus opening reminds me of Allure Edition Blanche. This dries down nicely.. a bit musky, vanilla, oriental smelling dry down, I can't say I get any vetiver, incense or patchouli though. The cap on this is not magnetic, although it looks the same as the original, it's a cheap plastic cap.
18th June, 2016

Hugo Just Different by Hugo Boss

To me, this smells like a stronger mintier version of Beckham Signature. Gets me compliments the few times I've worn it. I won't buy it again though.. too safe, and I already have many safe fragrances that I reach for before this.
18th June, 2016

Pineapple by Demeter Fragrance Library

Juicy, delicious, edible, sweet, canned pineapple. Longevity.. about 2 hours, maybe 3 on a humid day. Projection is actually pretty good, this does very well as a room spray if you don't wanna smell like pure pineapple. I enjoy wearing it around the house, and spraying it around me for my own enjoyment. It's probably (like most Demeter's) not something you'd wanna wear out. I paid 18 bucks on Fragnet for a 4 oz bottle, well worth it. You wanna smell real pineapple, buy this.. not that rip off Aventus.
13th June, 2016

Aventus by Creed

Maybe I got a "bad batch" - twice. I've sampled this twice, and no, not a spray on the hand, but full samples. My latest was a sample I chose that came with my Luckyscent purchase.

I just.. ugh.. I don't get the hype. The pineapple everyone raves about is barely noticeable. you want good pineapple go smell Demeter Pineapple, especially if Aventus rocks your socks, you'll go crazy when you smell the pineapple in Demeter. Aventus' dry down is just mediocre too. Smokey birch wood, maybe some cypress. It doesn't even smell like a signature Creed to me. The older Creeds have a metallic tinge to them, even the newer of the older like VIW.

Aventus does smell good, but not good enough to have its own sub forum. If any fragrance from Creed deserves a sub-forum, it's GIT.
28th May, 2016

L'Air du Desert Marocain by Tauer

Not feeling this one at all, and so glad I didn't blind buy a whole bottle. Got a sample with my purchase from Luckyscent. .7 ml was enough to test this on 3 separate occasions for me, and all 3 times were failures.

The first time I wore this I was actually repulsed. It smelled animallic, metallic, and like a dirty leather that somebody took a dump on.. honestly. The second and third time, I got the same thing, but with more development. Undoubtedly a leather dominant fragrance to me, although no list of that in the notes. This reminds me of this old orangish leather wallet my Grandpa gave me when I was about 5..you opened it up, and it reeked of a sour leather smell.

Fortunately, the dry down in this is much nicer than the opening. It sweetens up.. I definitely get the ambergris, which is a note I feel is sort of a shapeshifter or in our world, a smellshifter. I have smelled pure ambergris (possibly treated), in a perfume lab, and it has this sweet ambery quality to it.. no different than what I smell in the dry down here. Back to the "smellshifter" figure of speech, I feel that the ambergris in the base here takes on the leather, and base notes well, prolonging its longevity too.
17th May, 2016

Champion by Davidoff

I rarely give the big thumbs down, but this one deserves it. Note: if you see this on sale, don't be a dummy like me and give in. Although its quirky bottle is made well, and creative, and actually has enough weight (the 1.7 oz!) to pass as a weight.. if you actually care about how your fragrance smells, more than what the bottle looks like.. you'll avoid this at all costs.

Champion opens up with absolutely boring top notes, nothing interesting. Fresh and nice though, unlike its dry down. A slight powdery note in the opening makes me think it may be there in the dry down. All I smell is citrus, lavender, and oakmoss; and whatever note is making it smell a little powdery. Strangely about 10 minutes in, it starts to dry down smelling like an aquatic to my nose. This quickly dies off though, and it turns back into the most generic and synthetic smelling chypre you'll ever smell. You can look at the note pyramid and see right there, this is the epitome of chypre.. but shouldn't chypre's smell natural at least? Not Champion, a synthetic smelling chypre is just flat out hideous, and that's what you get here. Champion's only redeeming quality is as said earlier, a somewhat creative bottle design/packaging. I'm giving my bottle to my neighbor. One the worst smelling designer releases I've smelled in the past 5 years.
17th May, 2016

Rose Flash by Tauerville

I blind bought Rose Flash, and I'm sure glad I did. This is my first Andy Tauer fragrance both trying and owning.

Rose Flash opens with a strong red, fleshy, and jammy rose. The jammy quality makes it smell a little fruity, maybe like a peach or apricot. Over the course of an hour it becomes a little smokey as an incense type note sort of binds the rose together with the vanilla base. It finishes with a soft vanilla dry down, not too sweet, and still maintains a little bit of rose into the end.

Rose is the main note here, undoubtedly. My only regret.. I wish they made a bigger bottle of this, and I wish the price was lower. Don't get me wrong, this is a great quality fragrance.. but 1 oz? I mean come on, at least give us a value option of a bigger bottle, and since we'd be wanting a bigger bottle, knock some of the price off. I do realize that there is a higher amount of fragrance oils in this one, but not $60 worth for 30 ml. This is a fragrance I know I'm gonna wear often, and I know my 1 oz bottle is gonna go fast. That's compliments to the chef so to speak. Andy Tauer made a fragrance that I look forward to wearing each time the bottle gets into my hand. I just need more of it.
10th May, 2016

Encounter Fresh by Calvin Klein

I can't give this a thumbs down under the simple notion that it doesn't smell bad. It is very light though, and has very poor longevity and projection. Possibly the worst in my collection of over 175 bottles. Although I paid only 10 bucks for this 1.7 oz, and even at that price it makes a very pretty paper weight. Although this will indeed get some wear from me, when I want something very light and not to last long. so maybe on a day when I just wanna smell something briefly on myself, then apply another fragrance later on. To me, Encounter Fresh smells like a mix between Hugo (1995) and D&G Light Blue for men. The original Encounter is far better, but also very uninspired like this one, the only difference is the oud in the original keeping it a bit more interesting, but a poor oud note at that. The Encounter line has such a clever name, and could have gone places with the right ad campaign, as a sexy, seductive scent. Cheap craftsmanship and poor attention to detail will make this one become quickly forgotten. $10 bucks? Maybe a fair price, hell maybe even a ripoff at that. Save your money, do yourself a favor, get Light Blue or Hugo.. you'll be much more satisfied.
15th April, 2016

Five O'Clock Au Gingembre by Serge Lutens

Such a great opening here.. mmm. Tea, cinnamon, ginger. Reminds me of a better executed version of Samba Heat, a cheapy that shows it's worth its whole 10 dollar price tag. FOCAG by SL opens up beautifully. Unfortunately the dry down is just a mish-mash of synthetic amber and sweet tonka. Think 24 Gold's dry down, only weaker. A little bit of ginger coming through to the end. For the most part it's a bust to me. Chergui is win - win, because the dry down keeps me going. FOCAG's dry down is boring.. it makes me question myself "this is niche?"
08th April, 2016

Mesmerize for Men by Avon

I bought this one on impulse because I had a roll on deodorant that smelled great. I don't regret the purchase for the price, think I paid like 13 shipped for a 3.4 oz bottle.. however I don't think I will wear this one often, if at all.

To me, it has a strong resemeblence to Giorgio Beverly Hills Red, only less spicy, like no cumin note. It also has a note in the opening that reminds me of Navy for Men, or Gravity, like this weird purple smelling inky thing. I rather like it though. The dry down is a bit boring, powdery, even cheap smelling.. something you'd expect from an Avon though. I've come to expect much more from my dry downs, I guess I'm spoiled lol. Not to knock Mesmerize, it's a great scent, at a great price. More for a mature man, I'd say. It's very versatile, has great projection and longevity. Better yet, unlike most Avon bottles, this one is actually well made, despite how it may look in stock pictures. It has an excellent sprayer, the nozzle is blue like the bottle, the bottle is well made and sturdy. The cap is sturdy too. Avon bottles and fragrances tend to be very "gimmicky", but this one isn't at all. There's nothing here trying to lure you in to a mediocre, or even poor fragrance; rather as good fragrance, with no gimmicks, just straight forward.
17th December, 2015

White Musk for Men by Jovan

Bought this after reading a post in the forums. This isn't really much of a special fragrance, very mediocre, but well done for its price point. Reminds me of a better version of Paul Sebastian Casual, it doesn't have that dirty musk, rather a fresh clean white musk. I don't get the apple or melon, but there has to be some floral notes in here, musk of course, citrus up top, and a little bit of spice, something like cloves. This is a good cheapy to have, to spray the room with, or my bedding.
13th December, 2015

Adam Levine for Men by Adam Levine

I agree with Bigbz's review. It's sad reading some of these reviews. Do you guys actually try these on, or do you just slander them because they're cheap celeb frags?

Adam Levine is not bad, but it isn't too special either. Cat piss or BO.. Nothing like that. Synthetic? Yes.. but so are most fragrances in this price range. There are tons of great celebrity fragrances though. Adam Levine for Men starts out with a citrus/tropical vibe, but quickly dries into a candy lime smell, with a musky undertone. Synthetic smelling as can be, it strongly reminds me of Royall Lyme, a candied lime and musk combination.

I paid 10 bucks for a 1.7 oz bottle. Let's face it, 10 bucks for a fragrance nowadays is a bargain. I'll probably use it quick though, but I won't wear it on days when I want to impress people. Because there's nothing impressive about this one.
07th December, 2015

Eternity Summer for Men 2015 by Calvin Klein

Am I missing something? On Fragrantica this is raved about, and on BN it's got 2 thumbs ups. It's popped up in a couple threads, and has been compared to a Hermes fragrance by a few. What??

Now usually I don't critique other reviewers, but I have to warn others, you're missing nothing here. Ya it's nice, but big deal.. so is every other designer that comes out. There's nothing special here, nothing different, nothing high quality, nothing worth owning a bottle of, which I regret purchasing even at under 25 bucks.

Most of us have gotten samples of Exceptional Because You Are from Fragnet. I mean you always get them with your purchase. CK Eternity Summer smells about 90% the same as that. Or, if you happened to have smelled Usher UR, or Jovan Satisfaction for men.. they are all about 90% similar. It also bears a resemblance (although less than the other fragrances mentioned) to Allure Homme Edition Blanche. I get the creamy citrus and peach note, I get the aquatic undertone, with maybe a light vanilla lingering underneath, and some white musk.

I'll gladly be the guy that ruins the perfect positive score, because to me, it's just not worth a thumbs up. Then again, I haven't tried any CK Eternity Summer flankers, like most of these guys probably have, and this one might stand out and be different, breaking the streak of boring aquatics.

To me though, this is a boring release. I will probably use the whole bottle because it is easy to wear, it's light, it does smell good too; and it does fit the bill for something to wear in the heat, when you want something more transparent that won't last as long, or project very loud.

Don't rush out and buy it though, because you're missing nothing.
09th November, 2015

Gap Established 1969 Inspire by Gap

I stumbled onto this and Gap 1969 Electric at TJ Maxx, blind bought 1 oz bottles of both. Not thrilled with the purchase, but it's they're both still better than most mall brand scents (Hollister, AE, A&F, etc.)

The opening here is very lemony, a little powdery, and yes lavender too, that's what I pick up on. It quickly gets sweeter and powdery, sort of reminds me of Dolce & Gabbana pH, without the tobacco. It sort of has this annoying spice note, kinda of smells like B/O. It dries down cheap and plastic smelling.. which ruins it for me.

I guess you get what you pay for, 7 bucks. It kind of has that barbershop smell, but it really goes wrong into the dry down. Having a green package, I was expecting a more green scent, but that isn't the case at all. As it stands now, I am not liking this at all, but maybe my mind will change after more wearings.

If you do stumble across these at the discounters, go with the blue bottle entitled Electric. It's far more unique, with a sweet citrus opening, and an herbal dry down, it also doesn't smell cheap and synthetic like this one.
03rd November, 2015

Individuel by Montblanc

I have never smelled Original Santal, so I can't compare with that. I do however own Joop! and I think out of every fragrance I've smelled and owned, or currently own, the most similar one to Individuel is Joop! for sure.

I've read a lot of reviews on Individuel and not one person has said how in the opening this smells EXACTLY like marijuana, and good pot too lol. I love the natural smell of marijuana and anything that smells like it, even for 5-10 seconds like this does, gets good marks for me. After about 10 seconds, the marijuana smell is gone, but that first 10 seconds is bliss for me! It quickly fades into Joop! pretty much but with a heavy citrus on top. In Florida, it's common to see a flower called Lantana. I'm no expert on the flower, but there are hundreds of species of them, the most common here will be orange, yellow and maybe a little red in one bud, with multiple little flowers creating a dome shape (google it lol), the leaves on the plant are sort of furry, and have a citrus aroma too as the flower has a highly potent citrus smell that is hard to ignore. It's aromatic, you can smell from the distance, and for the most part, it smells like a blend of mandarin or oranges, lemon, maybe a little lime too. A unique flower to look at, with an amazing smell, to me Individuel has an accord that smells identical to this flower. It smells like this for a bit, that sort of reverts back to that marijuana smell I got from the opening. This is all going on under that base of Joop!. That's about the best way I can explain it.

Performance wise on me, not nearly where Joop! is, I get a good 10 hours with Individuel, but a very soft last 5-6 hours, making this pretty much a skin scent after 4. Projection is great in the first 30 minutes to an hour, but after that, I forget I'm even wearing it. No sillage, no wafts, not even on hot days, the humidity did nothing to help this one project more. I gotta find where I sprayed it and bury my nose deep into it to get something.

I do think it's a better, more wearable Joop!, Joop! is fun, but very loud, although not dated in my opinion for its time. I'm glad I found Individuel, and I look to try more from Mont Blanc, as this was my first bottle from the house.
30th October, 2015

Spirited by Perry Ellis

Pleased to be the first to review this completely mediocre fragrance. Let me start by saying I love the bottle, It's mostly red, sprayer works great. I got the 1.7 oz, and it's not a bulky awkward shaped bottle, it fits nicely in the hand and even better on the shelf. I paid about 11 bucks for my bottle on fragnet, it's a tester, brand new of course.

Onto the scent.. This one really opens up like DKNY Red Delicious for men, a little more bland though, a little less of a juicy apple note. After a couple seconds I get some ginger, but not much. After about 10 minutes, I'm left with a very mediocre sandalwood/pink pepper combo, the same one that's been done to death in 20 other Perry Ellis men's fragrances. Very generic dry down, as I would expect from this brand.

Usually Perry Ellis does pretty good top notes, that only last a few minutes, and boring dry downs. The quality of their stuff though is better than a lot of designers, but they seriously lack in longevity and projection, and Spirited is no exception. 4 hours tops with longevity. Which by the way, it becomes more sweet with the tonka bean later on (but very faint), projection is close to average, but slightly below.

Conclusion.. if you can get a bottle for 10-15 bucks, it's a deal. If not don't bother. This a good scent to grab when you want something that's not entirely generic, because it is a little bit different, but you don't want your fragrance to last too long. Let's be honest, we love great longevity, but a lot of us love short lasting fragrances too, to fit the occasion. I have a couple in the 4 hour category, and this is one of them.
28th October, 2015

Moschino Forever Sailing by Moschino

This interesting fragrance name drew me to sample this. I was able to get a mini bottle on Ebay for pretty cheap.

Forever sailing opens with that common tangy sour fruit note (I'm assuming kumquat or some type of tomato leaf/citrus combo). Promptly the dominant mint note comes out, the sour citrus note fades and takes a back seat, and quickly I get lots of lavender behind the mint (within 3 minutes of application). Now I'm left with a mint, lavender, citrus, and some nice musky woods all at once. This one quickly develops into the scent it was made to be. It's not very unique, but it is different enough for me to not be able to compare it to anything right off the top of my head. There's a smokiness going on. Although the notes and composition isn't entirely unique, the fact that it's still aiming for an aquatic feel, without the typical aquatic notes, make it somewhat different.

As others have said, it does last long. Maybe just because the previous fragrance I had on my clothing, and now changed my shirt, put this on my skin, and am doing this review.. that I am finding this fragrance very refreshing (since the last one on my clothing was dreadful). In retrospect though, I don't think this is something I would buy, or wear very often, because it just doesn't suit my needs. It's trying to be a different type of aquatic, but to me it falls flat. It does have pretty good longevity for the style of scent it is. Typically stuff in this genre give me 4 hours or so, while this gives 6-8, possibly longer, but a very close to skin scent at that time. After a few minutes of application, the combination of notes here seem to clash, I think it's the lavender clashing with citrus and woods, a good perfumer could of done a better job blending the notes. It does challenge my nose though, and again it is different, but not entirely unique, as it smells like bits and pieces of many other fragrances. (Eau Frachie, Le Male, Bulgari Man, Terre d'Hermes, to name a few)

Giving this a thumbs up would be lying, because it's not something I could recommend. However, if you are looking for an aquatic that takes some risks, this is something you should check out.

Also, from a distance it smells different than close up. From a distance it's a very generic, although nice citrus, zesty, sort of sour type, while if you go for a whiff up close, you'll get the darker side of it, the lavender, the woods, and musk, almost like a patchouli too. The mint dies off within 10 minutes on my skin, not completely, but about 75% gone.

I'm confident with this review, as I have worn it numerous times. This wasn't based off of a sample wearing. I will likely finish the mini bottle, but I don't see myself buying this in the future.
26th October, 2015

Potion Royal Black by Dsquared2

On my journey for the perfect men's rose fragrance (under $60.00) I acquired a sample of Potion Royal Black.

At first I was in love, I almost went and bought a bottle immediately. After spending some more time with it, I realized this fragrance isn't for me. Royal Black opens with a beautiful modern rose note, similar to that in 24 Platinum, and Rose 31, that same sweet, almost more synthetic smelling rose. (because real rose actually smells a bit dirty, and these don't) It quickly transforms into a heavy, and I do mean heavy, smokey, very smokey, almost rubbery smelling incense and leather combo. Smells like something from the Smell Bent brand to be honest. It has a lot of leather, but the leather isn't my style as it's rather animallic. Eventually, and I mean hours and hours later, it evolves back into a rose top note with a vanilla undertone, I also get some coriander.

If you're looking for a bold rose fragrance, that's undeniably masculine, and won't break the bank.. this could be a good option.. just make sure you love smokey, leather fragrances. I think it's the combination of smoking incense and animallic leather that turns this off for me. 24 Platinum is my favorite rose fragrance in the under $60.00 price range right now.
16th October, 2015 (last edited: 18th October, 2015)

Royall Muske by Royall Lyme of Bermuda

Muske is a classic barbershop style fragrance. To me, it has a very close resemblance to Old Spice, only better. Less rough around the edges, smoother, more refined. The dry down is muskier too. Although personally this fragrance isn't my style, I will say that it renders tons of compliments.. I guess women like the smell of musk.
25th September, 2015

Monsieur Eau du Matin by Jean Paul Gaultier

Take Mugler Cologne.. take out most of the vetiver, add a ton of citrus.. cut the longevity in half, maybe even less, and voila! Not that Monsieur Eau du Matin is lacking depth, because it definitely isn't. It's an EDC, meant to wear light and feel more transparent. Well made, but just not for me, as I have come to expect much more from my fragrances.
24th September, 2015

Royall Mandarin by Royall Lyme of Bermuda

This doesn't smell like orange juice. Orange Sanguine smells like OJ. Royall Mandarin does smell like candied oranges though. Sugary, sweet and synthetic after about a minute. The first minute though, it actually smells quite natural. The dry down is a bit musky.. similar to the dry downs from Lyme and Muske. The dry down also smells very much like Drakkar Noir's, uncannily similar. Like others have said, longevity and projection are both very poor. Save your money and buy something from Hermes.
24th September, 2015

Cannabis Flower by Demeter Fragrance Library

God this scent is so strange. First off let me say that it does smell like pot! Upon the opening though, I really don't get anything. I was actually a bit upset because all I smelled was a very faint patchouli like aroma. I have to let it creep up my nasal passage before I smell pot, but man does it smell great! It's a very deep marijuana smell. It's also a very faint fragrance with extremely soft sillage.

Thumbs up though for being unique, and double thumbs up for smelling just like pot. You need to sniff around a bit to pick it up though, but believe me, it's there.

It's just so weird because at first when I sniff it, it smells like strawberries or something creamy and sweet.. and if I take my nose away too fast, I won't get the pot smell. But when I take a big sniff, it comes in at the end, and ya it smells like a very natural pot, the type grown outside in the soil.. I guess you could say mids lol. Reminds me of the old days!
18th September, 2015

Comme une Evidence Homme by Yves Rocher

Buysblind review got me to blind buy this lol. When he mentioned Rose 31, a fragrance I adore.

Comme un Evidence without doubt has some Rose 31 in it, though very faint. Overall, the fragrance is nice and versatile for a man's rose based scent, but it is very very faint, with poor longevity and projection on me.

I am glad to own a bottle though, since it appears to be discontinued and prices are rising.
18th September, 2015

Steel Sugar by Aquolina

This is supposed to have a gingerbread note in it which is primarily why I bought it. Aquolina, both men's and women's fragrance are notorious for having stellar performance, for very reasonable prices, the other reason I purchased this.

This one though, for me, isn't the best performance wise. Open the initial spray, ya I guess I get a gingerbread vibe, but it's very short lived. It quickly transitions into a mostly vanilla powdery type of smell, with a coconut undertone. It does smell delicious, but not what I was expecting based on the reviews.

To be honest, this to me is like a more wearable Lolita Lempicka au Masculin.. not that I did like LLaM, but the anise in there can be overwhelming.

I do feel Steel Sugar is very unisex. The opening immediately reminded me of Bvlgari Black, without the rubber note.

This reminds me of so many other fragrances too. Le Male, and Midnight in Paris EDP without the iris. The thing separating this from the others is this unique foody aspect, although it may be labeled as gingerbread, to me it smells more like a coconut cookie. Imagine that with a powdery vanilla, then a slight tobacco and musky dry down, and I think you get the idea of this.

This isn't something you can really sample, you just gotta blind buy a bottle. I would say it's blind bottle worthy, but a little redundant too.
17th September, 2015

Fille en Aiguilles by Serge Lutens

Pine??? Where? This is mostly dried fruits. It's sweet, it's resinous, but pine? So misleading. I get virtually no pine here, which is unfortunate, because it's the reason I bought it. I ended up getting rid of my bottle, plus longevity stinks.

Does it smell good? I would be lying if I said it didn't It smells amazing, but not 70-110 bucks amazing. It doesn't smell overly unique; and considering there's no smell of pine to me, it makes it not worth owning.

Chergui by Serge Lutens

It really took me a while to like Chergui. People kept recommending it, and I just wouldn't go back to it, as I found it overly feminine. But, I felt the same way about Dior Homme Intense, and now I love it. I think the note in question is iris.. it can either go the route of smelling more like woods, or it can go the route of smelling more like makeup, and here, it goes the makeup route, as it does in DHI. I saw a bottle of this on fragnet for 60 shipped, and I figured ehh why not.. if I dislike it again, I'll sell or swap it easily, since everyone else loves it. Man did this stuff grow on me. Now.. it's easily one of my favorite niche fragrances.

From the top, I get a ton of iris.. and yes the powdery feminine makeup type, but it does so well with honey, amber, and hay, the other main notes I really pick up on. Overtime all of the notes sort of intertwined into one big iris/sweet/woodsy accord, and remains this way for a good 8 hours on me. Projection, is perfect, not too much, not a skin scent. Longevity, great. Quality, outstanding. No cheap alcohol smell anywhere in this.

I also love the simplicity yet elegance of the Serge Lutens bottles. I plan on getting more from this house, as I have tried quite a few and loved them. Chergui is certainly the centerpiece for Serge Lutens, a must have for any connoisseur.

Perfume Calligraphy Rose by Aramis

It's weird how we associate brands with quality. When I think Aramis, I would never think they could make such a high quality fragrance. Then again, I am a designer fragrance type of person, so I associate quality with brands all the time. Perfumery has come so far that any brand can use the best quality ingredients. Even if you're like me, and you think Aramis, you think the original, and you think "eww", you have to look past that now.

So that was holding me back from diving into this one, regardless of the reviews on Calligraphy Rose. I was able to get a really good deal on it, and blind bought this for under 50 bucks shipped. I believe the majority of the reviews are a bit misleading. Yes this is a high quality fragrance, but it really isn't rose dominated. While rose is there, saffron is the major note to me. Saffron has a very distinguished sort of chalky smell, and it sticks out like a sore thumb in Calligraphy Rose. Although not my favorite note, it blends nicely with rose, myrrh or incense creating this chalky, smokey rose smell. Not as masculine as I was expecting from the reviews.. in fact maybe even a bit more feminine; but that's a risk you always take when you're a man seeking a rose based fragrance. The powdery factor isn't too bad, and eventually tones down, that goodness.

Although this isn't my favorite in my collection, it garners a lot of compliments, always by women. I guess it smells familiar to them, and that's what women like. The projection on this isn't too much, as some others have alluded to. Maybe with more sprays I could get more projection, but the smell itself is heavy, and I wouldn't wanna overdo it.

All in all, I would say if you're sick of the same old designer crap that keeps getting released, and you want something a little more daring, and high quality, give this one a try. Hard to find samples now, and I'm pretty sure it's been discontinued already. If you have 50-60 bucks extra for a blind buy, and you love saffron, incense and rose, this would be a good option.. and even if you hate it, you can sell this one easily since it's low in stock and high in demand.

Kenzo pour Homme Boisée / Woody by Kenzo

I used to own a bottle of this, but recently sold it. I can see it being fitting for somebody, but it just isn't me. First off this fragrance shouldn't be called "woody", it should be called "herbal".. by far one of the most herbal, if not, the most herbal designer fragrance I have ever smelled. The dry down I get more of the woods, but this is dominated by basil and rosemary. It also projects pretty big in the opening, so be careful, because you will smell like a spice cabinet.

Again, I'm sure it has a purpose for some people, as it caters to a specific crowd. If you're looking for an inexpensive herbal fragrance, and don't wanna spend all that money on niche, this could be for you.
07th September, 2015

Monocle Scent One: Hinoki by Comme des Garçons

Like woods, like pepper? Hinoki is for you then. After a quick intense spicy woodsy opening the camphor molecule quickly emerges giving that smoldering burning wood note, an element I get in Tom Ford's Tobacco Vanille. Although here in Hinoki, don't expect any sweetness. This fragrance smells like some Jean Claude Ellena would make, since it's pretty heavy on the Iso E as well.

Overall price for value, this stuff is a bit too boring and one dimensional for my tastes, but if you know CdG, especially some of their series, then you know how they make simplistic fragrances. I just don't think the mark up is worth it. To me, this is worth about 30 bucks. Longevity is also pretty poor at 4 hours or less.
21st June, 2015

L'Eau d'Issey Pour Homme Summer 2013 by Issey Miyake

Although not to hyped on Basenotes, L'Eau D'Issey Summer 2013 got really good reviews on other sites, so I thought I'd check it out.

Intrigued by the bottle, and theme, I thought, kiwi could be something great in a fragrance. Unfortunately, other than the artsy kiwi on the bottle and the box, I get no kiwi in this. I wanna believe I get it in the opening, but it's just not there. Tons of grapefruit, lots of pepper, and basically for the most part, the same fragrance as the original, which I'm not particularly fond of. Although this one does smell better than the original, its theme is misleading. Longevity is very poor as others have said. Projection is ok, but there are much better in its genre.

I got a big 4.2 oz bottle for like 42 shipped on Amazon, which in my opinion is overpriced, and that's about the lowest price you can get it for. I wouldn't pay more than 25-30 for a bottle of this, which you just won't find anymore since it's already 2 years old. I do hear the flankers for 2014 and 2015 are the exact same as this though, with just different bottle art.

Overall, I don't recommend this. Unless you can find it for a price below 30 bucks, it's just not worth it.
13th June, 2015