Reviews by The_Cologneist

The_Cologneist's avatar
    The_Cologneist

Vintage by John Varvatos

A different, interesting, and somewhat dark fragrance from John Varvatos. It took me a couple wearings to figure out the opening. At first I thought fig fig fig.. As many of the reviewers claim, however I think the pyramid is more accurate with the berry assessment. The result.. berry potpourri. That's it! it smells exactly like berry potpourri. I don't mean the Glade spray, I mean the legit potpourri, with the wood pieces, pine cones, acorns, cedar shavings, etc.

While there is no fig listed in the pyramid, the berries in here certainly give off the fig smell. Typically, I'm not fond of juniper berries, but they are done excellently in Vintage. The fragrance does sit close to the skin, and longevity is a bit spotty, but like the original, I think the more exotic skin scent persona adds to its charm. Although it would be amazing if they made an intense version of this, or an EDP.

In a nutshell; berry potpourri, figs, patchouli, cypress, with some light florals in the background are what dominates the first 2-3 hours of this fragrance. The base, to my nose has the leather accord similar to the original JV; I get no tobacco, as the pyramid says -- I get this for the remaining 2-3 hours.

Again, this doesn't project as much as I would like, but I feel that it still serves its purpose. This is a different and more intimate fragrance. For those that want something very different, with less projection, this is the way to go. Longevity is hard to say after the 4 hour point, because it's so faint, mostly a dry berry and leather.

19 March, 2011

Eau de Pamplemousse Rose by Hermès

A natural smelling grapefruit with some blood orange behind it for extra sweetness. The grapefruit note is sweet, juicy and natural -- just as JCE can only do. Don't like rose? Don't worry, the rose is there, but quite faint. Unlike others, I get the rose in the opening, ya just have to wait about 10 minutes until the tangyness from the citrus dies down. The rose is rather green in the opening and middle, and doesn't become the typical rose we are used to until the final dry down. At which point it is wonderful. Smells amazing, and is great for any man who may be afraid to wear a fragrance with rose, because of it jeopardizing his masculinity. The rose in the base of this is pretty subtle, projection isn't a beast, so ya don't have to worry about "smelling girly"

I happen to love rose notes, just not always on me. Rose in the base was a brilliant decision on the part of JCE. For cologne strength, this is more of an EDT.

18 March, 2011

The One for Men by Dolce & Gabbana

Not only is sillage and longevity universally horrible, the smell itself is very very overrated. There's a Playboy fragrance that smells similar to this, I believe it's Playboy Hollywood, it has that sweet vanilla, and amber thing going on, and it ends up smelling sort of like root beer. I get the same vibe with The One. The only big difference is that The One is a little more complex. In the opening I get the creamy vanilla, some spice and orange blossom, the middle is pretty much the same as the opening, just more subtle, the base then adds some leather and woods. I don't really get the tobacco in this, I do get leather though.

My skin tends to hold fragrances really well, and to be honest, The One can last up to 8 or even 10 hours for me.. but I won't notice it the entire time, it sinks so deep into the skin that it becomes virtually useless, but throughout the day, if I go to smell my arm or hand or wherever I sprayed it, I will get some of the vanilla, amber, leather, and woods from the base, but very very very light. This fragrance has life for about 2-4 hours, give or take, and let me be one to go against the Youtube reviewers who seem to rave about this, and tell you that it's very generic, and hardly unique.

17 March, 2011

Royal Copenhagen by Royal Copenhagen

This is indeed very similar to Canoe by Dana. Only where Canoe has a very clean feel, Royal Copenhagen is a bit more dirty and a lot more musky.

My first initial impression.. Musk musk musk.. Lots and lots of musk. Oodles and oodles and noodles of musk! Then as it dries it becomes rather powdery with just the slightest drop of citrus, that quickly vanishes. I'm left with powder, lavender, spice, and aldehydes. And those aldehydes are what reminds me so much of Chanel No 5.. only where Chanel No 5 perfects those aldehydes; RC just screws them up. The resemblance with the notes are there, but the quality most definitely is not. Picture a watered down Chanel No 5.. making out with 7 bottles of Canoe. Royal Copenhagen is your result.

So in a nutshell, this fragrance is powdery, musky, and a bit dirty. It was released in 1970, and it does carry that 70's feel with it, although I do believe that the right man who enjoys powdery and musky fragrances can pull this one off very well even now in 2011. That man isn't me though.

13 March, 2011

Amour de Cacao by Comptoir Sud Pacifique

The opening has a fantastic creamy chocolate, "Tootsie Roll" - like, as somebody mentioned. The problem is, it has a sourness mixed with the chocolate opening. It makes it interesting, it's kind of like a sour toffee note. But, at the same time, it also make my head hurt, and my stomach churn a little. It's the sourness that ruins it. Reminds me of a Hershey's chocolate bar, with crumbled up Dorito's chips sprinkled on top of it.. don't ask. Fortunately, once it dries down, the vanilla note comes in, the sour accord goes away, and it remains a sweet chocolaty/vanilla gourmand for hours to come. Lasts all day.

25 February, 2011

Hermèssence Paprika Brasil by Hermès

Underrated scent. Unique, yet simple. Smells like paprika and florals smothered in sequoia's. Longevity and projection are both stellar.

24 February, 2011 (Last Edited: 11th April, 2013)

Emporio Armani He by Giorgio Armani

Call it He, Call it Lui, or just call it great! I really enjoy this one, and after losing most of the juice in my 1.7 oz bottle.. several years later, I finally gave in a bought a big 3.4 oz, because even with 200 or so bottles, this one will always get plenty of wear. This is what we call, a safe/go-to fragrance, but it's not in any means generic or boring.

Armani He opens up with a nice creamy lemon accord, backed by oakmoss. Don't get deterred though, a lot of people hear oakmoss and just think "ewww -- old man!" this one is modern and contemporary, even being the oakmoss beast that it is. Oakmoss is primarily the main player here to me, along with a little vetiver in the heart, and a prominent woodsy base. There is a sort of strange rubbery/synthetic smell in here, that I actually like a lot. It almost smells like the rubber sprayer melted into the juice. Although it may sound off putting, it works out very well, and this is what really gives it its character in my opinion.

Projection and longevity are usually about average on me. No more than 5-6 hours before it's gone entirely. Projection is just perfect, not too little, not too much.

Just don't get curious with your bottle like I did. I saw there was a piece on the bottom that looked like if I pulled it out, it would reveal the glass bottle underneath, so I could see how much was left in the bottle. Well.. long story short.. there is no glass bottle underneath. The juice is inside of there, and if you get the bottom open, you better have a bowl or something under it, or it's going straight onto the floor. The good.. my room smelled like Armani He for a day.. the bad, 40 bucks down the drain.

Speaking of price, I picked up the 3.4 oz bottle of this off Amazon for about 53 bucks shipped. A little on the high side, as this one is hard to find heavily discounted. Worth every penny to me, even worth retail price, and then some.

200+ bottles later, this is still one of my favorites. Not quite 5 star worthy, but 4 for sure. Longevity could be a little better. If somebody asked me what my top 10 "go-to" or "comfort" fragrances were, this would certainly top those lists. On top of being safe, and by no means meaning generic; it's also extremely versatile. Any season, any weather, any time, formal, casual, you name it.

Don't let this one go unnoticed, I've tried most from the Armani house, most pre-2012 anyhow, and this is amongst the best. A real sleeper.

21st February, 2011 (Last Edited: 09 May, 2014)

Patchouli by Molinard

Glad I was able to get a sample of this. Although this patchouli fragrance does have some dry sandalwood, and floral notes.. it mostly focuses on the patchouli throughout. The reason I'm glad I found this was because I wanted to see if I liked patchouli enough as a single note. To be honest, I really don't like it much. I like it in the gourmands, it's excellent because it's green, dark, inky, and earthy, and adds complexity to some gourmands; and really seems like several notes in one. Patchouli as a note, is rather complex, unlike simple notes like incense, sandalwood, vanilla.

Not only is this a great fragrance for patchouli lovers, but it's also a great way of seeing how complex the patchouli note actually is. However, I'm a bit put off by the smell.. it's interesting, but it's not for me. Too much patchouli here. I'm leaning towards a neutral rating, but I'm really not feeling this one. Thumbs down for me, and thumbs down for patchouli in solo form.

20th February, 2011

Virgin Island Water by Creed

One of the better Creed's that I've tried, in terms of smell alone. Though with its lack of longevity for the price tag suggested, I don't think it justifies a buy.

Having coming off a bad Creed trip with the mediocre Himalaya and Silver Mountain Water; and what I found to be a horrible fragrance - Original Vetiver.. I didn't get my hopes up for VIW. I was expecting a natural smelling tropical fragrance, and this is what I got; only cross out the natural and replace it with not so natural..

When I say natural in terms of fragrances, I mean "natural smelling" not like grape candy, but real grapes, fresh off the vine. And although a lot of natural fruits, vegetables, etc may smell very subtle up close.. these can easily be amped up in fragrances to create a thicker version of what smells like the natural fruit or veggie or whatever the ingredient, in its raw form.

VIW opens up with a naturally smelling freshly cracked open coconut, with a little bit of citrus there for support. A nice tangy lime note quickly comes out from behind the coconut and blends smoothly with the coconut to take center stage. While individually, they smell more natural, together they come off a bit synthetic smelling.. kind of like some sort of lime lollipop. It's also slightly creamy.. sort of like coconut milk. As it dries, to my nose, it begins to smell like Fruit Loops, or -- Tommy Bahama Set Sail South Sea's. And, the more I wear it, the more I can't help but notice it to smell like a combination of South Sea's and St Barts; the only difference is a big coconut note up front.

Longevity is about 6 hours for me, on a good day, and projection is a bit below average. I feel there are much better alternatives for a fraction of the price. Ya like Fruit Loops? Try Tommy Bahama Set Sail South Sea's or Kenzo Power. Ya like tropical lime mixes? Try Tommy Bahama Set Sail South Barts, or Nautica Oceans. I'd be a lying if i said that Virgin Island Water doesn't smell good. It smells awesome, but it's not as unique as others claim.

When it comes to shoveling out 100+ for a bottle, it better meet all of my standards. Smell, development, longevity, projection, versatility, and quality. VIW fails in a couple of these categories.

20th February, 2011

Love and Luck for Men by Ed Hardy [Christian Audigier]

Recently I jumped on Love & Luck bandwagon with high hopes, and was rather disappointed. Don't get me wrong though, L&L is an excellent scent. It's very versatile, projects decently, and lasts about 6 hours. On the downside of things, it's very very safe, which means.. boring.. ZzZzZ.

Oh hey, I fell asleep there for a moment! L&L opens with a typical citrus blend, give it about 10 minutes before the mid notes kick in. The middle is quite floral. The dry down is my favorite part though, as it becomes very creamy. A citrus/floral/vanilla/tonka/woods combo in the dry down, and dominated by creaminess. Everyone loves a creamy fragrance, it's so cooling and relaxing, sweet but not overly sweet. Yup the dry down makes Love & Luck somewhat of a keeper, but I won't be buying another bottle after I finish my .25 oz one. Another thing I love about Cristian Audiger, they do .25 oz bottles which are inexpensive at retail (15 bucks max) and great for on the go, or to keep in the car. Love & Luck is also a unisex fragrance, I can see any woman wearing this confidentially.

Romance Silver Men by Ralph Lauren

A subtle, manly, synthetic smelling cypress fragrance. I probably wouldn't have swapped this off if I didn't get a sour note for the first hour or so. The opening is what makes or breaks the fragrance for me. Although the dry down in this is quite nice. Very very reminiscent of Gucci by Gucci.

The opening evokes some strange sour green accord, perhaps basil or tomato leaf? It's much like that in Paris Hilton Just Me, if ya know Just Me, you will understand what I'm referring to. It's basically what ruins Just Me. As it does the same to Romance Silver.

Wait about and hour or so though, and it transforms into a subtle, slightly sweet violet, tobacco leaf and wood blend; which in theory is basically 'cypress'. It sits pretty close to the skin at this point, and is completely gone within 6 hours. It will do better on clothing though, but you may get the sour note lingering for a while.

Chaps (original) by Ralph Lauren

Spicy! Very spicy, though balanced out with a natural sweetness from lavender, anise patchouli and amber. This is without doubt, one of the most blended and refined fragrances ever made. The overall result.. a rugged man's fragrance with some serious sex appeal.

I don't know how the newer formula plays out, before it was discontinued (in the square bottle) but the original with the country/outback look, is so amazing. This was actually one of my first fragrances when I was much much younger, and I never really appreciated it, of course, at age 12, what 12 year old is gonna wanna smell like this? Recently I got a whiff of this and was blown away; now that I appreciate fragrances more and see things from a more artistic point of view.

It's hard to believe this has been discontinued, it's really good stuff, a wonderful hidden gem, and a bit of a powerhouse. Not many know about Chaps. If you ever see this in the old school bottle, and you like stuff like Azzaro pH.. don't think, don't even blink, just buy it! Trust me, you will not regret it.

It's not something I would wear everyday, but it can surly suit somebody's signature scent. It's versatile, projects well, lasts long, and is timeless. It's old school, but never really comes off that way.. similar to the original Polo and Azzaro pH, which never feel dated, just mature. This is a manly man's fragrance. I will soon be searching for a small bottle of this to reminisce!

Polo Double Black by Ralph Lauren

Mango, coffee, and a strange fuzzy feeling. Polo Double Black is a warm and fairly exotic fragrance. Quite different from the original Black, as well as the rest of the Polo line; furthermore, as well as the rest of everything on the market. It's mostly a sweet fragrance, but I wouldn't call it a gourmand, it does have a little spice from the pepper and cardamom. Two things that prevent this fragrance from being perfect imo.. 1. It has an accord that reminds me of crayons, I get this smell from CK Obsession Night, and Realities Graphite Blue. And 2, the longevity sucks.. I get 4 hours at best.

I do give it an A- or B+ for being unique, not quite A+ material, it's no Fahrenheit.. It gets a C- or a D+ in terms of longevity. Projection actually isn't too bad, when you consider its lifespan.. 4 hours, it projects well for the first 2, which is half of the fragrance life.. I'd give it a B- in projection, with all things considered. Overall, I believe it's one of the best from the rather boring RL house.. I very much enjoy the original Polo and Modern Reserve -- both of which are solid fragrances. Double Black is almost there, a parfum version for men would be outstanding, but we all know a low budget house like RL will NEVER make such. Anyways, all babbling aside.. Double Black is a fairly solid sweet/spicy oriental/exotic fragrance, not quite comparable to anything in the designer bracket. This fragrance will only work in Fall/Winter though. Overall grade: B-

Nautica Blue by Nautica

I have had Nautica Blue for quite a while, but haven't worn it much; I'm not a big aquatic fan. However, Nautica Blue, is done well. Not to be confused with the original Nautica, which is now known as Nautica Classic; this comes in the same bottle, only the juice is more of a light blue with an aqua tint to it. Nautica Blue (this one) is the more aquatic of the 2 though.

The opening to Nautica Blue is both fruity and aquatic, and hits me with some interesting notes. I get a lot of peach and some green grape, it's also quite creamy. As it dries, the traditional aquatic feel sets in, only it's still far more unique than your typical Acqua di Gio's. The peach note manages to stay prominent, as it blends with a floral heart, and calone note. The base brings in some sandalwood and musk, and yes.. the peach is still there. Only now, it's far more weak, and synthetic smelling, which makes it less recognizable as the smell of peaches, but I do detect it to the end. In this fragrance's case, the end is anywhere from 6-8 hours later, as longevity is quite good. Especially considering its low price, and its very overlooked house.

15-20 years ago, you could only buy the Nautica fragrances in departments stores, and nothing, NOTHING, would have a set-in-stone price of 15 bucks, as Nautica Blue often has at discounters. Now with all the niche fragrances and more expensive designer houses controlling the fragrance market, houses like Nautica, CK, Tommy, etc. have been pushed back, and frowned upon. Let me tell ya though, as a long time fragrance fanatic, and supporter of these brands, they have put out some excellent overlooked fragrances, that I've had the privilege of trying/owning. Nautica Blue is no exception.

10th February, 2011

Urban Musk by Tom Ford

The problem with the musk note in niche brands is that it's legit musk. Legit musk, smells like sh*t. When I say legit, I mean not as synthetic smelling, not as chemically induced. Musk in a more natural way. You may ask yourself, "who wants to smell like poo?". Well, natural musks in fragrances are rather upper class. Now, I'm not saying that - if you wear Jovan Musk, you're trailer trash.. no; wear what you like - of course! I'm saying that I associate the more natural musks with the more affluent crowd, kings, queens, and royalty. This is just my opinion though.

Now.. with all that said, let's talk about Urban Musk. Well.. myself, not being a big musk fan, you can imagine me bashing this fragrance. However, the musk in the opening of Urban Musk, although very raw and natural smelling, is toned down. Ya, it still smells like poo.. but hang in there a little while. 10,20,30 minutes tops, and you'll see this fragrance transform into a different smokey blend, with some sort of deep dark fruit note(s), amber, some spices (very subdued), and a little something sweet.. but I can't quite pinpoint it. The overall dry down though is very very smokey, I'm talking like Tea for Two smokey. It's not bad, but not really my flavor.

On the upside of things, it lasts forever, but I didn't get much projection.. this could also be because I was expecting a natural musk smell, which isn't my thing, so I feared it would project, and I did a rather small application every time I wore this. Now knowing more about it, I may wear this fully soon, and revise this part of the review if needed.

06 February, 2011

Bogart pour Homme by Jacques Bogart

Not too shabby, and rather different from a lot in its price bracket. Bogart pH is basically a cherry bomb. This I knew prior to trying it, but with a name like Bogart, I was expecting a much darker cherry with some deeper notes. Instead I get a very light cherry accord with a powdery undertone for the most part. Light cherry yes, but still big on projection.

The first 5 minutes or so I get a nice unisex cherry note, it's quite candy-like and synthetic. After that, it becomes more feminine imo, as it takes on a powdery theme, the cherry lightens up and incorporates some floral notes and some kind of nougat note. The heart lasts a good 4 hours before the base sets in. The base is my favorite part, as it takes on more of a dark cherry/black cherry theme, with a little vanilla and some spice. It's very subtle at this point unfortunately, but damn, it's nice. I might just buy a bottle because I love the base so much. The base then carries on for an additional 4 hours or more, bringing the overall longevity to anywhere from 8-10 hours usually. I get pretty good projection for the first 4 hours.

People say cherry pipe tobacco.. I just don't see this. I get no tobacco whatsoever from this, sadly, I would love me a cheapy cherry pipe tobacco, but you won't get that here. The overall feel of this fragrance is a solid cherry fragrance with "masculine florals"; unfortunately these florals are anything but masculine to me in the heart of the fragrance, where this fragrance shines its brightest. If I could have things my way, I'd pull out the florals and powdery accords (which could be from the floral notes) and move the base of this up to the heart.. that would make for a 5 star cherry bomb! Not bad though, but not worth more than 3 stars or a thumbs up.

29 January, 2011

El Attarine by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido

To my nose, powdery, synthetic, very feminine, fruity, floral, with a make-up accord. Smells decent, but not something I can see myself wearing.

26 January, 2011

Chêne by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido

A deep herbal, smokey, amber, incense, woods, and lots of cedar. What more could a man ask for?

26 January, 2011

Konvict Homme by Akon

I too picked this up at Ross for 10 or 12 bucks. The bottle is made very poorly, but the concept is awesome, and it's a sweet piece in any collection.

What matters though is the juice. I'm not gonna sugar coat this, but to my nose, this basically smells like some sort of cleaning solution. Longevity and projection are both below average too. I pretty much get bergamot and sandalwood both in the opening together.. it stays this way for about 30 minutes before a cedar note creeps in; it also has a wet/watery feel throughout. It stays on my skin no longer than 3-4 hours. This fragrance is very linear and reminds me of Live Jazz or Bvlgari Aqva Marine a little.

To me.. worth the money just for the bottle, plus I often wear this to the pool. But, in any other sense, this stuff is a joke.

21st January, 2011

Orange Sanguine by Atelier Cologne

If this opening is synthetic, then the perfumer behind this did one hell of a job executing such an amazing natural smelling citrus fragrance.. well at least in the opening.

The opening of Orange Sanguine is hands down the best orange fragrance that I've come across, meaning well over 1000 fragrances. The opening of this = you pick a Florida orange, cut it open, shove your nose right up in it. This is what you get here. The drawback is when you smell it too close up, it will sting the nostrils and/or even make your eyes water because of the citric acid. Unfortunately, the opening only lasts for about 15-30 minutes for me, before it turns into the typical citrus heart and base that I've gotten from every fragrance from their house that I've tried.. except for Bois Blonds which was a little more unique with vetiver in the base. This seems to me Atelier's signature that they are going for.. long lasting citrus bases. While others have complained about the longevity, particularly on this one.. I have worn this 5 times now, and each time it lasted at least 20 hours on my skin. It just keeps freakin' going.

20th January, 2011

Amber Absolute by Tom Ford

A great example of amber in almost its natural form. The opening is short lasting, a quick burst of sweet amber and spicy frankincense. The sweetness quickly fades off, and it turns into what mostly smells like beeswax to my nose. My enthusiasm is stunned here, I'm disappointed. This lasts for a good 2 hours before it takes on the amber again, only this time it's rich and smoky. It fades into a creamy vanilla/amber with a little spice before the final base which appears to be just amber. Certain parts of this fragrance I love, but other parts I despise.

Longevity is excellent, as one would expect.. 12+ hours easily. Projection is above average for the first 4-6 hours. The very first 10 minutes has HUGE projection, more so than Tobacco Vanille. I've never really been much of an amber fan, Amber Absolute definitely shows the more natural take on amber, personally, I prefer the simple, sweet synthetic stuff that's in the bases of many of our modern fragrances. I'll have to pass on this one.

19 January, 2011

Lalique White by Lalique

First time I tried this, nothing stood out to me, it smelled like a cheap citrus. The next time though, everything changed. I get a prominent white pepper, violet, citrus, vetiver and cardamom. The white pepper, vetiver and citrus blast off in the opening, mostly dominated by the white pepper. As it dries a little bit, the violet note really shines. While in the stage of violet domination, it takes a turn for the green side. I believe this greenness may be coming from the tamarind which plays an interesting role as a fragrance note. It's sweet, dry, earthy, and somewhat bland.. for a fruit it doesn't smell too fruity. Overall the middle is dominated by violets, tamarind, and a hint of cardamom. The copious amounts of white pepper are now gone, unfortunately to my disappointment, I am a big white pepper fan.. and the opening of this was very lively. Throughout the middle it begins to turn a bit musky, and settles down into the base with crisp vetiver, musk, and woods. On a side note, I get whiffs of lemon in the middle, and vetiver throughout.. the vetiver comes and goes. I can't exactly pinpoint where these notes start or finish, because they seem to change every time.

For me, longevity ranges from 4-8 hours depending on the day, weather, time I wear it, season, humidity etc. Projection is about average on my skin, as with most fragrances, more so in the opening. I think Lalique "Green" would have been the correct name for this one, as it's a very fresh green fragrance.. I guess they gave it the name White, because of the dominating white pepper in the opening. Although I do get the "whiteness" the more it dries down, it reminds me of fresh linens. Regardless of the name, this is a great fragrance, with a lively opening and a beautiful dry down. If ya see a sample of this, or pass by it in a store, definitely give this guy a try.

13 January, 2011

Andy Warhol Montauk by Bond No. 9

Well I guess I'll be the first to review this, since Col's review is more of a rant.

I'm rather new to Bond fragrances, and thus far, unimpressed. Nothing has really blown my mind, and for the most part I've been disappointed. This one is no exception. I'm looking at the note pyramid and literally scratching my head here.

Basically what I get get is a citrus top, smells a little cheap since the alcohol comes through for the first minute or so. What's cool is you can smell your hand or arm and literally smell it developing before you, it will turn sweeter. I then get the blueberry note along with some sweet florals, but there is no honeysuckle to my nose. The final dry down is basically a linear version of the middle, floral, lightly sweet, and very faint; it goes on like this for up to 8 hours.

12 January, 2011

Mémoire d'Homme by Nina Ricci

Whoa, this one is different indeed. The opening to my nose is some sort of spicy citrus concoction, it's different, and very warm.. so warm it actually heats up the skin; it smells a little like the broth from minestrone soup as well. As if the opening weren't strange enough already, the middle takes a turn for the I'm not sure.. it starts to smell like asphalt, rubber and licorice. Once that mellows out, I get a very smokey incense and rubber mostly. After having endured the most interesting part of the fragrance, it suddenly becomes a bit sweet, vanilla or possibly tonka bean, and slightly powdery. The base then invokes some woods, I definitely get the cedar here.

Overall it makes for an interesting fragrance that takes the niche risk to the max. If ya like scents like Fahrenheit, or even Narcisco Rodriguez, you may wanna give this one a try. It's pretty different, and a hit or miss more or less. Love it or hate it, honestly, I haven't made my mind up. But, I surely appreciate it.

10th January, 2011

Fath Pour l'Homme by Jacques Fath

Vanilla, lavender, mint, amber, synthetic smelling, ultra boring, super sweet top, with a very faint musky, floral and woodsy dry down. The top smells a little like grapes as well. The dry down lasts 10+ hours on my skin, but the opening and middle (the best parts) last under an hour. You can tell that everything was put into the top notes here. I'd rather get something with better quality, but this surly does smell nice.

10th January, 2011

Chinatown by Bond No. 9

I think Chinatown is to Bond no. 9, what Black Orchid is to Tom Ford. The opening just screams flamboyancy to me. It has a bit of that "make-up" smell. The opening is a quick blast of peaches and peach blossom to my nose, it sure is peachy. This quickly fades into a vanilla and a creamy coconut, with the slightest sour spice, I suspect this may be tomato leaf. Surrounding this are various floral notes, like a bouquet of flowers. I start to pick up on patchouli about 20 minutes into the frag, and some subtle woods in the end.

Projection and longevity both exceed expectations. Overall though, this is a floral fragrance, with some interesting fruits. Take its pink bottle as a hint, this fragrance is feminine. Nice, and a little less boring, but still not for me. I do not recommend this for a man.

09 January, 2011

Bois Blonds by Atelier Cologne

Easily once of the best citrus fragrances I've ever come across.. in terms of smell and quality. Firstly.. there's so much perfume oil in these fragrances that whenever it's on my skin my skin sticks to anything it touches. Very potent, and in the form of citrus! Wow, I never thought I would find a citrus fragrance that could last so long and be as strong in the 8th hour as it is in the first.

The smell itself in Bois Blonds, is nothing extraordinary, but the quality is beyond extraordinary. I cannot stress how high quality these fragrances are. Do not let the word "cologne" in the titles mislead you, they simply do this for marketing. This is at least EDP strength, maybe even more. 20% fragrance oils is what this one is advertised as, but a few within the company have told me, the fragrance concentration is 30%.

Anyways, onto the smell. The opening, I get a burst of neroli, lemon grass, and the orange flower. The lemon grass note is very similar to vetiver but more lemony. As it dries a little, the pink pepper really comes out and shines, and a very good take on pink pepper. Eventually the pepper dies down and makes its way to the back, and the citrus comes back to the front. The base notes incorporate the vetiver and a little musk. The vetiver is nice, the same type of vetiver in Encre Noire or Sycomore, minus the smokiness, rather the same flavor, with that oily lemon thing going on; very bright citrusy vetiver. The musk and woods are there, but subdued. The woods really don't kick in until way later, when the vetiver becomes less vibrant, and more earthy. I don't really know what 'blond woods' are, but the woodsy notes that I do get from this, blend perfectly with the citrus, they never overpower the citrus or the vetiver. But, they're never really here to stay, they come and go.

Again, longevity is great, and what really pleases me is the projection. Constantly from beginning to end, it projects. It's also very aromatic and leaves a fantastic sillage trail. I think the reason I get the projection all the way to the 8+ hour mark is because of the vetiver base, and this being a high grade of vetiver. Vetiver itself is one of the most aromatic fragrant ingredients. I have gotten 16+ hours total longevity though, with great projection for 8 hours.

If anyone is looking for a high quality, long lasting citrus, look not further. I am often quite opposed to spending money on the niche fragrances, but I think this one is worth every cent. Approved!

08 January, 2011 (Last Edited: 12 January, 2011)

Himalaya by Creed

The opening of Himalaya is a burst of alcohol, unfortunately, but once it dries a little, it becomes a rich and fresh masculine floral. The projection is good (much better than SMW) and longevity is pretty good as well.. on my skin, 8-12 hours, sometimes more. Like SMW, Himalaya is very refined, it's hard to pick apart the notes. But, as with most Creed's that I've tried or owned, there's that metallic accord, but it's very dull in this one.

The opening is a bright fresh grapefruit and bergamot, with a little bit of spice, and a light floral background. As it dries a little, the citrus comes out a little more, I get like a fresh cut open orange, or the smell of orange juice in the background blending in with everything else that I'm smelling that I can't quite determine. Fresh, floral, soapy, citrus, a little spice, and a little green. So refined, yet such a simple overall blended smell. It basically smells like citrus and florals with a drop of musk to make it a little more aromatic.

As it dries it becomes more metallic again, I also get some lavender. Once this fades, the final dry down into the base is a bit generic, reminds me of something that I can't quite put my finger on. The ambergris keeps it going on the skin for a while but very close to the skin.

Although the smell is good, it doesn't constitute a buy in my book. It was fun to sample and mess around with, but it's definitely not bottle worthy, especially at these prices. A cheaper alternative would be something like Givenchy Blue Label, or Dunhill Pure - both of which remind me of this.

Himalaya definitely isn't groundbreaking.

08 January, 2011

Vanille Patchouli by Molinard

A very nice, and very simple blend of vanilla and patchouli with a hint of lavender. Those who wanna know what patchouli smells like, sample this one and wait for the mid notes to dry down.

As far as my experience with this fragrance goes. It opens up with a very creamy vanilla, with good projection.. after a little while I get a little patchouli and some lavender, but still mostly vanilla. 4 hours in, and the patchouli takes center stage, and a very good patchouli at that. 8 hours in, and the patchouli is gone and the vanilla comes back, but very subtle and close to the skin. Both the patchouli and vanilla are always there at all times, but at certain points one may be more dominant than the other.

Just a simple, safe, beauty. Hey sometimes, I just want to wear something easy! This guy fits the description, easy with the niche appeal going on. I'll probably be getting a bottle of this in the future. Definitely not feminine, very unisex.

Edit: Longevity is also excellent, I get 12+ hours easily.

08 January, 2011

High Line by Bond No. 9

Whoa ya.. this needs to be changed from unisex marketing to female. I assume it's unisex because they probably have trouble selling it.

Rickbr pretty much sums it up in a few words. To me, it starts off as a feminine watermelon/cucumber body spray, then turns into a shampoo smell. If ya wanna smell like that, then by all means.. go for it.

06 January, 2011 (Last Edited: 08 July, 2014)