Reviews by

Invictus by Paco Rabanne

When I think of this stuff, I can't help but reflect on Bleu De Chanel. Widely panned at first, now its finally recognized for the great fragrance it is. Everyone is entitled to their opinion so I don't want to bash on the haters too much, but I really think people need to try this one for themselves before joining on the bandwagon of dislike. This is a fragrance that the ladies I've been around while wearing it absolutely adore. I haven't gotten as many compliments since early acqua di gio days before everyone wore it. To be honest, I actually love this scent as well. I kind of think of it in the same genre as Bleu de chanel. It's kind of a fresh aquatic with some woods so its got a little more depth and body than the normal fresh aquatic. Many complex fragrance nit pickers don't seem to like this because it doesn't have anything that is nostril challenging enough for their whiffer. But for normal people who just want to smell good and wear something of pretty high quality, this is on point. Yes, there's still Aventus and Tom Ford for my special days I want to be unique, but I always like a go to fragrance that can last and last, and is at the cutting edge of awesome. Invictus is that fragrance for me right now. It's the one that I think is going to be the big daddy hype train soon. Wear now before everyone else is wearing it and its lost its uniqueness.
03rd May, 2015 (last edited: 04th May, 2015)

Insurrection II Pure by Reyane

This gets lots of love because many compare it to Aventus. I'm giving it a thumbs down for several reasons. First, this fragrance only shares something I'll call pineapple with Aventus. My Aventus batch is this pineapple in a very concentrated form that lasts 4-6 hours strong. This pineapple similarity in Insurrection lasts no more than 5 minutes. Aventus is an EDP, so I think this is why that unique note lasts so long. You can tell in Insurrection pure, that note is blended with something like Vanilla which quickly dominates the pineapple. After 30 minutes or so, the Insurrection pure becomes something which I think smells like ozone, or like a Dr. Office ozone dentisty type smell. Not pleasant. So, that's Insurrection pure......It has that note that Aventus has for 5 minutes which is blended with Vanilla, then gas ozone. If it were stronger, and the pineapple stayed on top of the Vanilla for 4-6 hours, I'd give it a good review. That initial scent is pretty nice. It's just that it doesn't. Sad really.
12th April, 2015 (last edited: 03rd May, 2015)

Very Sexy for Him by Victoria's Secret

I wore this a ways back, but recently returned to it. If you want to wear cologne that ladies like, you really can't go wrong with buying a batch of the stuff they sell for men at their panty store. That's a no brainer. However, as a bit of a scent junkie, it needs to be compared with some of the other stuff out there. I put this in the same vein as Bleau De Chanel as what many might perceive as a generic type smell. It is more green than Bleau De Chanel's feathery sweet wood, but it does have a comparable synthetic, generic feel. I would offer, however, that a scent shouldn't completely steal the show, but accentuate an entire look and feel of a person. Clothes, cleanliness, grooming, all have their part to play. This scent plays excellent accompaniment in an ensemble.
25th July, 2014

Kouros by Yves Saint Laurent

The first time I smelled this I never thought I'd ever wear it. Eventually, I got turned on to Musck smells and really liked Kiehl's and Muscs Kublai Khan. So, I made it back to giving Kouros another try. I really like YSL's distinctive scents. Surely, I had missed something. On the 2nd go around, I actually love this stuff. Perhaps, my scent palette evolved or something over the past year or so since last squirt, but I just can't get enough of this stuff now. The beginning is best described as fierce. It then mellows into something akin to a sweet musk smell, in the ballpark of Kiehl's Musk, but with a more masculine edge. I don't get anything stinky, or bad, or anything from this. I've noticed women are noticeably drawn to it.
25th July, 2014

360 Degrees Red for Men by Perry Ellis

I loved Acqua Di Gio back in the day. It became somewhat common so I branched off into other things. I went back to Di Gio recently and thought it was significantly weaker, or maybe it just sprays too much in one go. Anyway, it doesn't last very long. Perry Ellis Red is so much better than Di Gio.....it's a little stronger, and it lasts way, way longer. Put the Di Gio in the back and wear the Red. The price can't be beat. This is the best bang for your buck period.
03rd July, 2014 (last edited: 04th July, 2014)

Alt-Innsbruck Eau de Cologne by Alt-Innsbruck

As an aftershave cologne combo, this can't be beat. I'm not even sure there's any others in the same category as this. It's really an excellent menthol/alcohol blast aftershave that is akin to Osage Rub, or some other highly mentholated aftershaves out there, it's a BLAST. Absolutely perfect for summer shaves. The scent is kind of powdery floral. Semi-sweet. I really haven't ever smelled anything like it. I hesitate to say this, but there's something that reminds me of my grade school box of school supplies here. Maybe an eraser......I'm not sure....but something is there that reminds me of that. It's a good smell though. Not the greatest and its pretty linear, but that aftershave blast that comes with it makes this easily one of the best options out there. Try it. The entire Wet Shaving community swears by this stuff for a reason.

Agua Brava by Antonio Puig

Best pine fragrance in my opinion. I got the 17 ounce bad boy on this one. It is completely understandable how this one has the following it does around the world. If I had only one cologne, I'd probably want Agua Brava.

Acqua di Selva by Visconti di Modrone

Minty Pine. People compare this to Pino Sylvestre, and Aqua Brava. I see that. The significant difference to my nose, is that this one has lots of mint. If you like a minty pine. Also, this one goes well in the warmer weather, better than Brava and Sylvestre. It doesn't last as long as an EDT, but it's longevity is pretty typical of cologne's.

Acqua di Giò pour Homme by Giorgio Armani

Modern classic. Everyone loves it for a reason. It sprays probably too much so it goes down fast. Also, it doesn't last as long as it used to. Perry Ellis Red is Di Gio, but better. Di Gio is still Di Gio though. Thumbs up.

1776 Russian Leather by Elsha

I have Pinaud Bay Rum and Ogallala Bay Rum. Also, Knize ten, some other leather types. I get no leather from this one. It's all Bay Rum. I like bay rum, but I'm not keen on false advertising. It's a subdued Bay Rum. Very close to the skin, not overpowering and lasts a long time. It's good quality, just can't see why its considered a leather.