Reviews

Reviews by adele h

Ma Dame by Jean Paul Gaultier

Quite subversive and fun! Opens as a fizzy citrus; the grenadine is present but not overly sweet, it's really quite bracing. MaDame then proceeds to dry down into a pleasant plastic rose with citrus undertones- I agree with others here that it was intentional! The dry down is actually pretty delicate and soft..good fun overall.
03rd February, 2011

Black Orchid by Tom Ford

Certainly contains too much of everything, heady gourmand straight up slightly grounded by the truffle accord..is that chocolate, gardenia, the rare black orchid? I honestly couldn't tell you! Certainly not for everyday office wear or enclosed small spaces but sexy as hell. My only issue with B.O. is that it really loses its oomph after the opening notes subside and I long for the olfactory overload of the open to be prolonged somehow..makes me feel as though I was spurned by a very handsome lover! But it is unique, very modern and not completely safe.

Amanda by Amanda Lepore

An example of dissonance between an image and a product..if any of you know who Amanda Lepore is you're aware she's very over the top, way over! This may be the only conservative thing she has ever wore.. actually a very pretty, quiet vegetal violet perfume. If you're a fan of violets (i'm not) as a soliflore it will certainly be up your alley. Sadly not offensive in any way with wonderful staying power.

S-ex by S-Perfume

I find S-ex to be the subtlest suede, incredibly easy to wear leather..the strawberry is also very present but subtle, along with something fresh and the smell of clean skin. Definitely not sexy in a hard core way! I find it beautiful as it penetrates the air and fabric in its vicinity in the softest way. S-ex is never powerful or strident but its longevity is excellent. I can tell it is a CL creation in the same vein as Aura or Amanda Lepore which also share these understated qualities..very artistic yet wearable for any occasion.

Beyond Love by By Kilian

The prettiest, sweetest tuberose soliflore on earth. I find it very delicate with incredible staying power..the other notes only serve to prop up the tuberose. It is fairly linear but I can live with this because it is quite spectacular as is! I love Fracas but she can be demanding and too soapy if overapplied; Carnal Flower is lovely but heady and a little green. You could probably drench yourself in Beyond Love and no one would mind! Beautiful though the price may break your heart.

10 Corso Como by 10 Corso Como

Still my absolute favorite sandalwood based fragrance- though much smoother if you can find an older formulation with real sandalwood. Incredibly clean and pleasant, lasts a whole work day on my skin. 10 CC has enough nuance and depth to avoid smelling of a cedar closet ( sorry Tam Dao ). The boyfriend has told me it smells like Ajax ( a cleaning powder) but this has not dissuaded me or other women who have smelled it on me..lovely and very wearable.

Après L'ondée by Guerlain

The most modern smelling of the old Guerlains; the vegetal violet opening has aspects of The Unicorn Spell and Iris Silver Mist in it with a slightly minty undertone. Fresh and so aptly named..very soft and close to the skin. The dry down is somewhat powdery and old-fashioned but also incredibly soft- really nicely done!

Circus Fantasy by Britney Spears

And now to answer the age old question which has been plaguing mankind since the beginning of time..what does a circus fantasy smell like? The answer is- lemony raspberry iced tea! Very enjoyable and definitely none too serious, Circus Fantasy is actually interesting. As it develops candied peony and violets join the party which is surprisingly not too loud or rowdy. I'm liking these Britney frags, they're like a modern day Showgirls, underappreciated in their time!

Fantasy by Britney Spears

Waited years to actually try Brit's perfumes and now I'm ashamed by how likeable they are! Secret guilty pleasure indeed! Fantasy is a dark molten berry cotton candy confection- very sweet, surprisingly not too sweet for me- and I don't care for Pink Sugar or Flowerbomb. Fantasy has no pretentions of being greater than it is, it's frivolous in an honest way! The drydown is a very clean musk/vanilla, completely inoffensive. Fantasy has some childhood nostalgia and happiness in it...

L'Heure Bleue by Guerlain

not melancholy at all- soft, subtle and comforting.. I do initially get a hit of old talcum powder but the far dry down is quite lovely- a soft, powdery, somewhat buttery vanilla. Classics like these do take a little getting used to but their quality and longevity is unquestionable...that said, probably wouldn't wear it often enough to warrant a full bottle.

Shalimar by Guerlain

Guerlain classics are a bit of an acquired taste if you are not familiar with them..there is an old talcum powder note in the guerlinade which bothered me initially, but it passes quickly into the most rich, gorgeous drydown created. An almost buttery deep vanilla which lasts and lasts! Other than the iris the flowers are muted on my skin. Shalimar is a classic for all the right reasons- it's almost addictive!

Mukhallat by Montale

this was an unholy mixture of POTL's Luctor et Emergo and Dior's Hypnotic Poison on my skin (both do not agree with my chemistry) plus syrup.. and it nearly required an exorcism to get it off my skin. It haunted me the next day after a bath! If you enjoy this super sweet almond confection the good news is that it has amazing longevity and sillage. I love many Montales but not this one!

Angel: Liqueur de Parfum by Thierry Mugler

Indeed you should be a fan of the original to enjoy this rich, syrupy concoction! I love it- some of the dirtiness is toned down but it is still an absolutely penetrating perfume which almost demands a certain mood in order to wear it. A smooth, caramelized Angel- prefer it to the original.

APOM pour Femme by Maison Francis Kurkdjian

A strong. powdery cedar no doubt made more feminine by the floral notes, though they are extremely subtle..clean and suitable for the day provided you don't over apply. Beautifully blended and classy!

Lumière Noire pour Femme by Maison Francis Kurkdjian

Absolutely gorgeous, could easily be a modern classic. I get narcissus, though it's not too heady, subtle rose, and clean patchouli grounding the composition..no skanky notes (eg cumin) on my skin. If anything it prevents it from becoming a clinical, soapy floral (many modern florals are)..
Lumiere noire is not a casual scent- it almost demands some class! Well balanced, feminine and unique with excellent sillage and longevity.

Joy by Jean Patou

Heads up here- this is incredibly powerful! That said on my skin it's flowers and more flowers, tuberose being the most prominent. The aldehydes give it a somewhat soapy edge and the civet is not overly prominent; there are roses and more roses. It's way over the top so I understand why the reviews are divisive..but wow this is something to be reckoned with!
05th December, 2010

Sandflowers by Montale

Smells like warm, clean beach sand. It's certainly interesting because there aren't the usual cocunuts and ozonic notes in Sandflowers ( but i was hoping for sandalwood). It's not something I'd actually wear as a perfume though...

Aoud Queen Roses by Montale

Rich and elegant without being mundane- and probably more suitable for a woman (yay). The roses are deep and dark and have so much depth which the aoud only showcases here. i believe leather is a listed note in AQR but it's not obtrusive and only adds to the decadence of the composition- just gorgeous!

Aoud Red Flowers by Montale

Absolutely fascinating fragrance- have to agree the aoud is well integrated here. I detect subtle roses and the saffron gives it a very unique, indefinable quality which i love..it has a slight sweetness grounded by the aoud.
Aoud red flowers is similar to red aoud (which is beautiful as well) and it has excellent longevity on the skin...exotic without the spice bazaar!

Voile de Fleur by Tom Ford

Just gorgeous- black orchid tends to devolve after the beautiful opening whereas voile de fleur does not. The sillage is incredible and persistent. Other than the note of violet in the opening it's very similar to black orchid so it would be redundant to own both (for me anyway). It's definitely more of a feminine fragrance.

Le Parfum: Aura by Thierry Mugler

Paid too much for a decant of this because it sounds so fascinating-and it is. There are too many subtle notes to single one out except for jasmine. It reminds me of S perfumes S-ex which also shares the same nose, however aura is incredibly pleasant and in no way obnoxious. It's soothing and very pretty.

Alien by Thierry Mugler

Like Angel this has unbeatable staying power and sillage but it's not as adventurous in its composition-it's straight up jasmine and quite linear on me. It would definitely be too strong for some but on my dry skin it doesn't evaporate right off like most perfumes... the boyfriend loves it but i'm indifferent.

Angel by Thierry Mugler

Love it-works with my chemistry! There is nothing like it period. That said it's not safe for enclosed spaces or office wear- it can overwhelm its environment! Incredibly original statement fragrance ( nobody wears it in this neck of the woods ).