Reviews by gatorNY

gatorNY's avatar
    gatorNY

Harrods Oud Patchouli by Bond No. 9

I was lucky enough to have a friend traveling through London and she was kind enough to visit Harrods and bring a sample back to the USA for me (although a very generous friend int the UK also offered to send me a sample ;-).)

My nose is so different so I can only chime in on my perception of this. I had no idea what to expect, but I was definitely in LOVE at first whiff. I get a burst or sharp, exotic smelling floral right away. Then smokey incense notes that take me back to my days as an altar boy at St Clements School in Florida. Maybe that's the myrrh. There is a lovely sweetness that connects with what smells like amber to me next. The oud is there too, but not as "in your face" as TF Oud Wood or Bonds Harrods Swarovski Limited Edition.

I can't really find the patchouli, which is the only thing that I am disappointed about. Maybe it's in there, and I am just so used to the street grade patchouli oil that people I work with wear every day.

I spayed on probably 10-12 spritzes from the sample on Thursday and it lasted over 12 hours on me. The next day it was still there close to the skin, and the oud was very nice at that time too. I give it a big thumbs up. I actually splurged for the 100 ml bottle, since my partner loved it too, so want to have plenty.

04 August, 2012

I Love New York for Fathers by Bond No. 9

I can't wait to get a bottle of this. I wore a sample at work yesterday and I was amazed at the longevity and the evolution of the fragrance. The opening is very powerful, fresh and sharp. It reminded me of Bleecker Street at first. Those top notes don't last all that long, but it's not a problem because I then settled in to a very fresh, masculine, energy, with what to me almost smells a bit of a powdery, clean note. I thought that was going to be it, but low and behold at about 6 pm, 9 hours after applying, I started to get the most WONDERFUL warm, woodsy, amber notes. I never seem to be able to pick out the notes that are reported to be in the fragrance pyramid, but that's what the I LOVE NY for Fathers journey was like for me.
    This, to me is the most complex of the I LOVE NY line. I love the I LOVE NY for Him, but it's more of a linear experience for me.

02 June, 2012

Success is the Essence of New York / Andy Warhol Success is a Job in New York by Bond No. 9

I have an on again/off again relationship with this fragrance, and today it's ON. I go back and forth between thinking it's too heavy or too feminine and then think it's an absolute masterpiece. This scent has AMAZING longevity, and truly evolves over time, more so than just about any other scent. I could not believe that 13 hours after applying this, I started to smell the patchouli, which I absolutely love. Big thumbs up. And, to any other Bond Fans out there....try blending this with NY Oud. It's fantastic.

06 May, 2012

High Line by Bond No. 9

I first smelled this about a year ago and definitely thought that it was not for me. Recently, I got a wild hair to try it again, so some fragrance friends sent me some samples to try. For some reason, a year later, this fragrance really worked well for me. It is wonderful by itself, but my favorite blend is to mix it with NY Oud. By itself it is fresh and green, with just a bit of tartness and floral. Lasts forever, and most have great projection, because I always get compliments when I wear it.

Next time, I'm going to buy to 100 ml bottle!

Central Park West by Bond No. 9

This is a gigantic white floral explosion. Makes Flower Bomb look like a sparkler or firecracker. Definitely not for me since it is very much a sophisticated lady's fragrance in my opinion. But, for those who enjoy this type of white floral it is probably a must have.

I Love New York for Earth Day by Bond No. 9

I just got a bottle of this as a gift last night. It has quite the floral opening, so much so that I probably would not have purchased for myself at the Bond counter. However, it does evolve as most of the Bonds do, and the woody basenotes eventually balance out the floral. As expected, it is a very green floral experience. As with all the Bond, this has amazing longevity.

I look forward to wearing it during the warm weather and think it will blend well with lots of things. I am most interested in trying to blend it with I <3 NY For Him and think it would be fun to try a "Parks and Recreation" blend of Central Park, Gramercy Park, High Line, and Earth Day.

Un Jardin en Méditerranée by Hermès

I wanted to like this, and was hopeful, but still can't get on board. I liked the fresh top notes, but after 10 minutes all I smelled was citrus scented windex glass and surface cleaner.

25 April, 2011

Central Park by Bond No. 9

Just bought a bottle today. One of my favorite warm weather fragrances. Crisp, clean, green opening that settles down to a long lasting fresh woodsy green experience with the slightest whisper of patchouli. This and Eau de New York are my favorite Bond fragrances for work. I highly recommend this, and even though my partner works at Saks, I have no problem paying full price for this at the Bond No. 9 store. It's that good.

15 April, 2011