Reviews by Quarry

Replica Across Sands by Martin Margiela

A boozy burst is followed by the obvious presence of thickly sweet dates. The supporting notes play secondarily in the background until, an hour or so in, I'm surprised how much I am reminded of Hermes Ambre Narguile and, to a lesser extent, Lutens Feminite du Bois. This is all very well and good, but then the scent totally deflates by hour three. I'd like just a decant's worth of AS in order to wear only at bedtime so I can relish the good parts and be sleeping before I reach the stage of disappointment.
28th December, 2018

Kiste by Slumberhouse

Bananamberama. Kind of nauseating to me. That may be the honey note.
28th October, 2017

I miss Violet by The Different Company

There just a couple fragrances that have an honest-to-goodness hypnotic, mood-altering affect on me. One of them is the beautiful (but only the original) Caron Violette Precieuse. (I'm sure you could register my reaction to VP with a blood-pressure cuff. It has a palpable meditative effect on me with one whiff, and it slays me that this stuff is no longer available.) For daily use, I can rely on Serge Lutens Bois de Violette. Serge’s violet is held in place within a perfect structure of supporting notes. TDC’s I Miss Violet, by comparison, is almost a soliflore, very lovely, but absent the swoon effect of VP or the full orchestration of BdV. I could easily wear IMV and enjoy it in a light-hearted sort of way, but it doesn't belong on any pedestals.
01st November, 2015

Bois de Violette by Serge Lutens

Genteel Bois de Violette offers the wearer the loveliest satisfaction in the categories of florals and greens, then rounds them out with that Lutens/Chanel bois interpretation. My favorite part is the violet top that makes my head swim delight upon application. The heart notes hum along with what I find to be a perfect touch of spice (which is to say, with timidity). The dry down makes me want to curl up in my own arms to smell the woody base right at nose-to-skin level. Chanel’s Bois des Iles is sweet and desirable in winter, but BdV's “bois” is less vanilla sweet, making it ideally suited for springtime temps. The only way to improve upon it is to spray more.
19th May, 2014

Flower of Immortality by By Kilian

More apricot than peach

I think it's the blackcurrant that takes this fragrance in a different direction from other peach fragrances I've tried. Upon application, I really smell apricot (not peach) on top of a mild, nondescript floral background. As it warms, Flower of Immortality turns slightly boozy. The blackcurrant keeps the scent bright even as the vanilla/tonka/musk base notes work toward the front. It's okay in my book, but not  decant worthy.

20th May, 2013

Royal Green Fig and Vanilla Woods by Lucy B

I thought GF&VW might be mired down in syrupy vanilla and coconut, but it's bright and springlike, especially during the opening phase. I couldn't peg what that green top note was until I looked at the the description: It's green pepper. This is the best use of green pepper I've ever smelled in perfumery. It so well counterbalances the sugars and intermixes with the green fig. Brilliant! Lucy B produces good scents, especially for the money.
24th March, 2013

Une Ville, un Parfum : Tokyo by Guerlain

Of the collection of samples that just arrived, I tried Tokyo first because it was the one I was most hopeful about--hopeful because (A) it's a pricey number from the pretty-darn-reliable House of Guerlain; (2) the scent supposedly represents the shy nature of Japanese fragrance preferences, and I like mild frags; and (III) its notes are among my favorite, most notably green tea.
At the opening, a flash of citrus and a momentary pause of green tea are quickly interfered with. The interrupter is vanilla, but I could be persuaded to believe tonka or almond are present. For the next several minutes I get a little jasmine, but what I am observing with every inhalation is that vanilla is the wrong kind of sweetening for green tea.
Overall, the fragrance is timid. The heart and base notes are a nice vanilla. Yawn.
23rd March, 2013

Voile de Violette by Sonoma Scent Studio

Reminds me of a bitter Rosine Rose d'Homme with violet added. I expect it would smell better on a person with sweet skin than it does on me. I tend to make fragrances smell sour.
22nd January, 2013

Wood Violet by Sonoma Scent Studio

I'm not detecting violets, but perhaps a hint of rose and a puckeringly dry, tannic wood which smells antique and imbued with oils.
22nd January, 2013

L'Heure de Nuit by Guerlain

I'd rather the pretty cerulean blue had been lavished on the ribbon, stopper, label and atomiser than the juice. Blue liquid looks gimmicky. We know the bulb atomizer is best only for show as well, since these tend to allow evaporation.

I sprayed this on paper last night and was repeatedly drawn to it. Heliotrope? No, amaretto. Yum. This afternoon I applied it to skin, and it’s really small in radiance. I get a hint of a medicinal note in addition to almond. I was reminded of Guerlain Bois d’Armenie. Don’t have any of that around for comparison. Perhaps someone else can comment on that.

I like L’Heure de Nuit most on paper, when it smells like amaretto and vanilla. I prefer L’Heure Bleue on skin for its unique qualities and respectable throw.
08th January, 2013

Hothouse Flower by Ineke

It is potent. Even before I could unwrap the well-sealed sample forwarded to me by Cestrum Nocturnum , HF announced itself as fairly sweet and leaning toward a youngish audience. I experienced a fleeting flashback to 1960s Yardley Oh de London, but can't say exactly why -- maybe just the simple, sweet, floral nature. If I didn't know the notes, I would start guessing there might be some lilac and powdery notes. Smelling the liquid itself, I like the sharp, verdant note, which I attribute more to the cypress than the other green candidates. Up close on my skin, which often makes fragrances take an unfortunate turn, that green note heads toward the vile vegetative green goo of the garden stinkbug. The the heart notes lose the greens and become more wearable for me as I like the fig coming to the forefront. The drydown doesn't go anywhere in particular.

As this is November, I think I might be inclined to give HF another go near springtime when certain cravings erupt with the crocuses.

The notes listed are some of my favorites, but I've learned that this hardly ever helps me find swoonable fragrances. Random sampling results in better percentages.
13th November, 2012

Accord 119 by Caron

This scent opens by performing a quick impression of Jo Malone Pomegranate Noir before quickly giving way to a Frapin wine. Then, I don't know if it's a case of anosmia, but Accord 119 fades quite fast for me. Save your money for one of the Frapin fragrances instead.

Gardénia Pétale by Van Cleef & Arpels

Gardenia Petale starts out promising and sparkling, but then stalls, languishing as tuberose and stiff vegetation. It would be nice to encounter on someone else in passing, but I would find it boring to wear.

Pure White Linen Light Breeze by Estée Lauder

Similar in effect to Fresh's Cucumber Baie. Safe. Better than most department store fragrances of this ilk.

Infanta En Flor by Arquiste

Learning that Matildaben had developed a liking for Infanta en Flor and given the notes (orange flower water, Spanish leather, cistus resin, and immortelle flower), I was sure I'd like this, at least a little. In reality, I don't. I get a lot of baby oil. Even if infants are the inspiration, I expect more perfume and less Pampers.

Blackberry & Bay by Jo Malone

With affectionate thanks to 30 Roses, I am wearing Jo Malone’s Blackberry & Bay, which b*u*r*s*t*s forth with tart freshness. It smells like it’s raining grapefruit juice, and there’s a blackberry thicket growing on a far, far distant horizon. On paper, the grapefruit eventually morphs into pine. On skin, the grapefruit-like note hangs around more.

This recipe makes sense as a beverage or room freshener, but I’m challenging myself to conceive of it as a personal fragrance. It’s clearly not a scrubber. It could, in fact, be one of those fragrances that grows on a person, perhaps even becoming a craving. You can never be sure without giving a unique frag a good wearing or two.

I equate its greenness to something like L’Ombre dans L’eau. Can’t imagine this being a big seller to the general public, but it’s the kind of thing that a bored perfumista appreciates for needed novelty.
20th August, 2012

French Cancan by Caron

I had waited weeks to do an intimate sampling of Caron French Cancan. When a person gets something special like Djedi or vintage En Avion or, in this case, Cancan, it behooves said sniffer to give full focus to the experience. DH & DD are jogging down by the lakefront, and I am alone with a rich perfume.

The scent of the juice alone produced two flashbacks, both of which surprised me. Firstly, I was reminded of the smell of our homemade wine, which is aged dry on oak. Very pleasant. The second memory places me near the dime stores I frequented in the '60s. I don't know how, but I must have been exposed to some of the common scents of the day and their now-less-frequently used ingredients, which remain in this sample. Once on the skin, Cancan very much puts me in mind of the dusty carnation in Terra Cotta Voile d'Ete, an association I'd never made before with "drive-by" sniffing of Cancan. Now that I'm into the heart notes, the scent is mellowing and sweetening, which I prefer since the spiciness of carnation is right near my heat tolerance.

I'm going to luxuriate now, enjoying my solitude, the air conditioning and Cancan. It is really, really beautiful. Thank you, Kumquat, for these many moments of pleasure I will experience with full mindfullness.
22nd July, 2012

Hermèssence Santal Massoïa by Hermès

"Vetiver Tonka Light" with fig, finessed. Safe. Basenoters might want more character, but this should be successful among civilians with good taste.
27th May, 2012

Jennifer Aniston / Lolavie by Jennifer Aniston

(I enjoyed Sherapop's thorough review.) While waiting for the Target Pharmacy to get my order close to correct this afternoon, I visited the anchored perfume bottles from which one can sample only by putting a body part in front of a fixed sprayer. I already knew I didn't like the other celebrescents, so I sampled Aniston's and felt a mild attraction for the citrus and floral. Conclusion: If the same recipe were made of quality ingredients rather than cost-conscious synthetics, I'd probably really like it, especially if I were 40 years younger.
05th March, 2012

parfums*PARFUMS Series 3 Incense: Ouarzazate by Comme des Garçons

Fellas, choose Ouarzazate if you're looking to attract a gal you can take home to meet Mom (I don't see this fragrance being as effective in the bar scene as in the office). Overall it reads like a sweet, non-astringent/non-tannic cedar. The incense is not particularly obvious. I can wear it, and any woman could, but I'd prefer to catch it on the breeze from a man passing by.
18th December, 2010

Halston Woman by Halston

The initial spray seems bold with promise, but within a few minutes the scent pulls back dramatically to become quite reserved. The ingredients read to be of the best quality. No apparent synthetic notes. Because it doesn't come on too strong and isn't so synthetic as most new mainstream fragrances, I can recommend it highly, at least to the civilian shoppers. For BNers, I don't know that it offers a lot that's new. I'm not fond of Orientals as a class, but the blackcurrant and sweet amber here make this new HW incarnation wearable for me.

Notes: Sicilian bergamot, marigold, blackcurrant; roses, orris, jasmine; patchouli, sandalwood, ambers.
09th August, 2010

Silver Bond / Andy Warhol Silver Factory by Bond No. 9

Weird. While wet, I smell grape juice. Then I smell a real foundry — metal shavings, the dirty oil that builds up on metal-grinding machinery for a minute or two. After that, SF turns into a pleasant, mild incense with its own personality.
06th August, 2010

Aubépine-Acacia by Creed

For today, I'm wearing a relatively new acquaintance, Creed Aubepine Acacia, a scent that smells fine in the heat of summer, but promises to fit autumn-time. For all the sniffing I've done, this one honestly earns the attribute "unique." The bright, citrus opening is exhilarating, then a mild, masculine phase arrives. I don't have real-life points of reference to name what I'm smelling—maybe tobacco-like, but there's no warmth or smoke. Would that make it like green tobacco? I don't know. And then the scent wanders in and out of my awareness with a green leather-like effect. AA makes for a wonderful and interesting companion. Smells like a millionaire on the weekend.
03rd July, 2010

Barynia by Helena Rubinstein

There’s “perfumey” good and there’s “perfumey” bad. This is perfumey good. Barynia (which means lady of the manor or mistress of the estate in Russian) is a rich floral with a bit of natural sweetness and that appeals to me very much. I'm reminded of two favorites (Dunay Sabi and Guerlain With Love) which, if I didn't have them, I'd be turning to Barynia often.
03rd June, 2010

24, Faubourg Eau Délicate by Hermès

I'd been meaning to try 24, Faubourg Eau Legere for the longest time, since I thought the original 24F excellent, if not a little too “big” and “hot” for me. Eau Legere is somewhat like 24F and vaguely similar to Yves Rocher Desire de Nature. It smells French and old-school style. The orange isn't sweet as it is in Boucheron Femme. If it were sweeter, I might be tempted to own more than a vial’s worth.
04th March, 2010

Marine Groove by Escada

If you're going to make yet another a fruity-floral, it may as well smell this good.
19th February, 2010

L'Eau de Tarocco by Diptyque

The topnotes are simply a BIG GRIN—so precisely the scent produced from plunging a thumbnail into an orange. Soon thereafter, though, that scent starts playing peek-a-boo with some really odd, hard-to-describe notes. The imagery I get is that I’ve walked toward the storage and receiving area at the back of a mall store—new packing materials and newly manufactured products? Now that’s weird.

Officially, the notes are orange, grapefruit, saffron, cinnamon, rose, ginger, cedar, incense, musk.

Lest you write off Tarocco, I do have one selling point: Yesterday I sprayed this on paper and enjoyed hours and hours of the fresh, sweet citrus notes wafting across my desk. Yep, now that's a smilemaker.

Thus far, La Rose du Petit Prince is the best citrus-rose scent I've come across.
17th February, 2010

Full Choke by Francesco Smalto

The top notes earn 5 stars, the heart notes barely 2 stars, and the base notes deserve about 3. Full Choke must catch many a buyer who feels instant attraction—at introduction, the scent is lively and reminiscent of the best part of New Haarlem: fresh coffee and sweet, burnt cinnamon toast. Within minutes, FC turns stunningly boring, like the delicious stuff exits the room, leaving nothing to smell but an old metal toaster. Surprisingly, an echo of the original scent and sweetness surfaces during the drydown. If I could freeze-frame those top notes, I'd either wear this or insist my husband do so. It's a shame that pineapple, rum, vanilla and amber couldn't maintain a gourmand heart. (Notes: gunpowder, cardamom, pepper, pineapple, coriander, jasmine, lily of the valley, rose, vetiver, rum, vanilla, musk, and amber.)
31st January, 2010

Marc Jacobs Splash Lemon by Marc Jacobs

Fairly nice, but again, should be “more” for the price. Puts me in mind of the neroli in Salvatore Ferragamo, which might offer a better pleasure-for-the-penny ratio. Still … me likes me citruses, so I will happily follow directions and “Splash Lemon” and maybe even “Layer Lemon.”
25th January, 2010

Tuscan Leather by Tom Ford

I don't find this scent as sweet as others have inferred. When I think of sweet leather scents, Dzing! (cade) and VIP Room (vanilla) spring to mind. Just as wine can be sweet or dry, I have to say TL is a dry leather, the sort I associate with fringed suede purses and moccasins from the ’60s/’70s.

A secondary impression conjures images of the men who hung around my dad’s machine shop. It’s the scent of those who chewed or smoked pipe tobacco, which became a part of their general odor, plus the scent of machine oil and metal shavings from the lathe and drill press. Despite the negative imagery that might infer to you, I can still give TL an up thumb—albeit with the caveat that I’d rather layer it with something sweet.
21st November, 2009