Reviews by

Allure Homme Edition Blanche by Chanel

Yes, I definitely like this one. I was disappointed with my previous Chanel experience so I didn't have high hopes here. The opening of the EDTC version I tested produced a strong lemon blast, but of the refined type, seeming more natural than synthetic. This quickly became a musky-tart lemon, but improved with a great sweetness that radiated along with more fresh lemons. Then very nice spices, maybe the Allure trademark spices start to develop, and balances out the sweetness very well. The tart and sweetness can become slightly annoying, but its always balanced at the start by the fresh lemons, and towards the end by sensual spices. I want more woods for the drydown, but was happy enough with what went before. There's some nice vanilla too. A great fragrance overall.

22nd April, 2010

Allure Homme Sport Cologne by Chanel

Very nice opening of fresh lemons that don't seem of the synthetic type. I definitely prefer this normal Allure Homme Sport, only because here it's lemons and there it was an ill-executed orange. The rest is the same, nice spices start developing and go into a good tonka base. Could be better maybe, but above many other Sport varieties I've tested.

22nd April, 2010

Davidoff Adventure by Davidoff

I found this ok but in the end just too generic and light. Ginger, light mandarin or passion fruit and some strange type of woody note. Again I will say here that ginger is far better done in scents like Cerruti Si and Lacoste Essential. Their progressions are better too, plus they are quite cheap. I appreciate the passion-fruit I get is quite unique, but maybe needed more fresh balance like aquatic notes. It's not too bad, but there is always competition and others are better.

20th April, 2010

Eau de Paco Rabanne pour Homme by Paco Rabanne

I'm not sure whether I tested a duff sample, but I didn't get anything apart from a strong, annoying rosemary all the way. Then hints of very faint vinegarVery odd, checking the note list at the page top, I'm a sort of lemon fanatic, but here I get near to nothing. Nor do I get clean vetiver or pepper! Lacoste Elegance and even Challenge are far superior to this.

I'll go round some stores to have a go at this again if I find it just to confirm, but if my sample was genuine, for once I'd have wished it wasn't. Or was, since it potentially saved me the £15 I'd have wasted if I bought this based on the stuff mainly written here

17th April, 2010

Story by Paul Smith

Really clear vetivier becomes really nice cederwood. This is definitely a very interesting and different scent but it's got the major problem of being appallingly 'quick'. The opening becomes the base in a matter of half an hour. Sad because the florals are really great, follow the fresh clean theme of the whole scent. The rose is well presented too. But it needed more, maybe fruits or more woods

07th April, 2010

L'Eau Bleue D'Issey pour Homme by Issey Miyake

This to me becomes almost like a version of Herrera's Aqua. I don't get citrus from the opening which I was hoping for, just a strong dose of peppery spices that I really dislike. To its credit, it's very distinctive, unique almost and would definitely have some admirers but I'm afraid I'm not one of them.

I'm all for 'good things come to those who wait', but here when dealing with £30-40 products, this shouldn't be the case. A good scent should be 'good' all the way, why open so oddly? Even so, the spices and florals during the development are not my type, I'd be far happier with a more straightforward generic citrus or aqua to be honest. Notes? I get pepper, florals, some form of strange seaweed, rose, muted woods, lavender of course and more strange florals. None of which are as 'high', crisp or clear than I had hoped, like Creed's Himalaya does so well. It becomes quite nice, but certainly doesn't remind me of a fresh cool sea-breeze. That is far more refreshing

07th April, 2010

1 Million by Paco Rabanne

Ug, no, this is just Joop Wolfgang for me again, and I hated that. I get an initial burst of synthetic orangey-vanilla, notes I just cannot stand and just find nauseating to the extreme. So thats that for me with this one.

Dior Homme by Christian Dior

There is a reason why the Dior name is everywhere perfume-housing. This sparkling, stellar, iconic olfactory example leads by example with good reason. It is the definition of a premium perfume. The opening pours on the quality, with vetiver-like freshness and rare, sweet florals. It is a touch synthetic, but here, flawlessly implemented like all top class products do.

The fragrance then moves to sweet, but clean cardamom and a daring feminine bag-lipstick, which is immaculately balanced by the airy-florals and a fresh leather. The woody base is standard, but keeps some of the top note elements, making the whole package immensely satisfying, also it is quite long-lasting. A real classic

01st April, 2010 (Last Edited: 11th April, 2010)

Brit for Men by Burberry

No, overall I didn't prefer this, even though I wanted to, I just couldn't. I get a nice ginger and nutmeg/spice combo which I appreciate, and the bergamot top is always nice. But a thickly dominant rose aroma sort of spoils it, and it persists for the duration of the scent, spoiling it a bit more. Guess that's an accord, sadly. I get more of the rose, but less of the mentioned musk and tonka, stuff I like.

Its similar in the drydown to Lacoste Elegance, but that lacks the rose and presents a great minty thyme instead that keeps even the base fresh, whereas this just fades away as a dull rose infused ginger cake dessert. Still it's popular, I guess I just fall out of the scent radar for this one

Himalaya by Creed

Got a very refreshing but pleasant blast from the bottle on opening, refined lemons, florals and masculine musk. My first Creed, I was very disappointed at the scents linearity and longevity, the introduction was very nice, natural, but I wanted more development. For the investment, the would-be purchaser deserves more, this stuff is easily over £85 on the cheapest sites. But there was no more, just a continuation of cool, fresh musk and airy florals.

This is good, no doubt, but should've definitely been more, I give it a very lower-end neutral here. But for £85, no less than two thumbs down. You'll get more satisfaction elsewhere and so will your wallet, and that's not supposed to be said about a Creed.

Lacoste Challenge by Lacoste

Not bad, main issue is generic-ness and strength again. The ginger is pure and great, that's fine, its the top or base that need a bit more originality. Big jet of nice clean lemon alone isn't good enough. Should be thumbs down for being another designer cash-in, but the ginger maybe saves it and in itself it is actually nice and refreshing. Lowest neutral possible

Dior Homme Sport (original) by Christian Dior

Not that accustomed to ginger in fragrances, so the initial blast of it on spraying Dior Sport was a definite turn down for the deal. But I persisted with the scent, since it was a Dior, hoping for better development- but none came! Certainly no similarities with the masterful Dior Homme original. Admittedly, I'm not a spice fan, I prefer out and out lemon-citrus, but not a trace of Dior's acclaimed Sicilian Lemon here. Whats worse, the scent is linear. All I ever got was really the ginger. Maybe some nice spices in the dry-down but all too late. Even Cerruti Si has more excitement in the spice development, and that is around a third the price of Dior Sport. And I think it does the ginger way better. Really shocking from Dior. Go for Lacoste Essential, far more subtle with the ginger and has true freshness.

23rd March, 2010 (Last Edited: 20th April, 2010)

Light Blue Pour Homme by Dolce & Gabbana

Starts off very nice and fresh, lots of nice bergamot definitely and hints of fresh-forest greens. It's ------generic! But I don't mind, yet. But then, rosemary! Or violet even, or some odd floral. Either way, it turns bad for me, the whole thing just becomes annoying. Nicer elements start to appear later, but the rose-floral thing persists and the whole thing overall is just too weak anyway and just fades away. Bad

Givenchy pour Homme Blue Label by Givenchy

This I find an astounding scent. The citrus and grapefruit are clean and beautiful. The sweet woods that develop later are immense, I was very addicted to this, but probably because it was just too weak, I wanted more. Usually I'm very pessimistic about scents because of one or two notes that may pop the lot, but not here, and I found that really satisfying. I saw an Intense version too, which I hope to try later

Polo Sport by Ralph Lauren

I want to give this a thumbs up just for the classic top. Refreshing, fruity and ----sporty! For it's defence, a good frag is good, no matter what level of generic it is. At least better than those frags that go way out of line just to be 'niche' or 'different', I admire the risk and effort to produce those but sometimes, it's just better to be safe. I try the so called niches, but more often than not it's one note that wrecks the whole bunch.

But for the Polo, not a thumbs up because the drydown isn't perfect. Should use less seaweed!

Paco Rabanne Pour Homme by Paco Rabanne

Oh no, this is lavender and rose suffocation, the intensity from the first spray is immense. Females will definitely be sent packing when you become the lavender monster with this. Or macho-shrub guy. Heavy and horrible, any subtler nicer notes that may be infinitesimally present are drowned like no other. I definitely prefer the retro music to the retro frags thanks

and of course, in true oldie-frag style it lasts for (approx) 83845565648 hours

Envy for Men by Gucci

I never really liked this array of spice all-sorts from first spray until the dry-down. I was really disappointed and surprised too, I usually like spice mixes. Its the same with the other modern Gucci releases, I loved their woody drydowns/last stages but always hated some element in the midnote. A non-sweet floral or herb maybe, but it keeps ruining my experience of a big Gucci! Strange

Gucci by Gucci pour Homme by Gucci

No, no and no. Violet. I hate violet. This has some other nice florals in the accord, and I always like sweetness but this is generic, almost pointless type of sweetness. The nice amber base can be found elsewhere- like a million times elsewhere and this thing is VERY expensive. Two thumbs down from me for not being able to detect the tobacco either. Shameful by Gucci =[[

Lacoste Elegance by Lacoste

Maybe I'm novice, maybe not. But this blew me away. I am not ashamed.

I own only the deo, but even this has stopped me from buying again until it really runs out. The initial mint-pepper blast is truly different, and invigorating. I also got a powdery sweetness from the spray can too, very nice, it cleared, and then returns after 15 mins or so. Then the raspberry chocolate accord show begins, all while the minty thyme still hangs at the back, the balance is subtle and supreme by Lacoste. The base for me just got better, with more raspberries, chocolate and now joined by addictive amber and light woods. A bit dry, but classy-dry. This is masterful, a true classic/gem or whatever good you can call, amidst all the new designer fray

Downers, yes the usual one, always seems to be the rubbish longetivity/strength nowadays =[

Cerruti pour Homme by Cerruti

Amazing woody-fresh citrus opening, engaging and different. I get a bit of pine too, bit odd, maybe something else but still ok. The progress reveals a really nice, clean floral mainstage, with hints of background pine/citrus and concludes with some nice base-woods. Really nice example of masculine spicy-floral done great. See, its really nice ,] Currently a suprise bargain offering that deserves to be more popular

Cool Water Happy Summer by Davidoff

Some variations are cash-ins, others are true miracles-much desired spin offs. After all, its a bit unrefined having to squeeze lots of lemon/limes over your head after applying some original CW, just for a fresher top? I love fresh citrus, and I love Cool Water. Much thanks Davidoff, enjoy the profits! ,]]

Hypnôse Homme by Lancôme

Luckily I tried this first, the note list had me waving my wallet ready- then the horror show as I tried it in-store. Sweet lavander avalanche, torrent, juggernaut, whatever you call, this nearly knocked me out and made me regurgitate stomach fluid -just couldn't stand the combined effect of the notes. Nor could I understand them. No bergamot, no freshness, no sweet spices, just goopy flood of lavendar sickness-and it lasts for ever! Why this one of so many!? Sad, I thought it would be a new great. Hopefully its just me and no one else goes through that

Gucci Pour Homme II by Gucci

Ohh noo I saw that thing in the note list-- the VIOLET! Ruuun!

Sadly, on testing it at a store, as much as I tried to focus on the nice tea and spices I get as everyone else does here, I just couldn't ignore it. It was there, more subtle for this Homme version, but definitely there and so ruined another otherwise stunning release from Gucci for me =[[

Start using other florals insted of the violet, Gucci! Also sadly, as in my Gucci PH1 review this thing costs a wallet-and-a-half aswell, and so as much as I wanted to rate neutral, had to give it down. Sorry Gucci maybe next time-----

Cool Water Game by Davidoff

Fresh and fruity water/melon-citrus top. Its quite different from original CW, I found the middle a bit strange but passable, sort of muted strawberry/melon. Base is nice, more similar to CW now. I bought it for a bargain in the store, but actually I find it better than many £40+ frags anyhow. If only the top was magnified to infinity, plus rating for the amazing top and the overall bargain value-just---

Herrera Aqua by Carolina Herrera

I tried to like this hard but I just couldn't. I like true aquatics, but this was very floral with a strange musty-green note that really put me off. I tried to find the water, but all I got were flowers, but not even my preferred type. Its balanced well, I do credit that, and is actually quite unique but this is my review, and have to say I'd be lying if I were to give it anything other than thumbs down. Lesson to all in blind buying for selves--- do not!!

The One for Men by Dolce & Gabbana

Oof, all exotic mandarin peels, coconuts and pineapples and something sicky-orangey-sweet. Clear grapefruit? Nope. Rich, warming cardamon or fresh ginger? No. Sensual, subtle tobacco? No! Nice amber base cannot save it. Not the one for me sadly-

CerrutiSí by Cerruti

On initial spray seemed like a blending error, I just get raw alcohol! But then seconds later I get the fresh top, nice lemons that quikly turn to hints of ginger, but it all blows over too quick. Base is nice, clean woods- but in the end- I just felt that this fragrance was reflected in its price, not because its cheap-smelling, but because it needed more development. Whats present there is nice, high quality even, but needed more, more of good things. I sold mine on Ebay in the end =[

Gucci pour Homme by Gucci

Omg, I initally typed a novel sized story on this- then hit the 'submit' button without giving the damn rating and on going back it had all gone! Was such a nice review. D'oh! I guess that what I get for being a novice here =]

So in short, I liked the strong but distintive wood-blaster of the opening. But then not long after, I hated an element (or combination of elements) I detected and best perceived as some kind of violet, or similar floral note(s). I then gave up on the fragrance, that horrible violetey note persisting for hours on my hand. However, it then happened- for the then dried-out-faded application area I experienced the most beutiful, elegant and involving blend of creamy amber, lighter woods-maybe cedar and even hints of tea and tobacco!

I concluded in basically feeling bad about my thumbs down desicion for the Gucci, but based it on the fact that like others, a £25-40 frag should be all what its worth for the user. Sadly, with that 'what-ever-it-was' middle note/s lasting for hours, not even one of the best bases ever could rescue this as an investment for me. If only it wasn't there, I'd buy 10 bottles at once =]

Tommy by Tommy Hilfiger

The classic I always wanted to try, and when I got round to it, I wasn't let down-rather the opposite.

Beutiful mint, fresh, more fresh, citrus, fruits, and amazingly, fresh tea too. I love tea. Regardless of its age (nowadays in the 2010s, everything 90's seems ancient!!), this is still an interesting, involving and most importantly uplifting frag that easily shames others twice its price. I lol'ed at the note-list of 'Rain', actually because its exactly what I got. Lovely, fresh, temperate rainfall on lush countryside landscapes. There maybe haters of these fresh-frag types, but this is simply timeless-bespoke elegance that almost gives meaning to the genre single-handedly. Thats how good it is. Suitable anytime, anywhere, 2 thumbs-up. Ok fine, just the one

Jazz by Yves Saint Laurent

Sorry, but on first spray I encountered an odour fom this that I can only kindly class as 'faeces'. I just don't know, cannot explain, but thats what I got. Then came the wave of actually nice, clean citrus that I expected. But there it was again, the toilet monster. It's probably just me, but this derailed the whole proceedings and wouldn't go away. Just that repungent noxious-note. Cannot be an odd raw alcohol element, alcohol is nicer than that! Got an ok subtle lavendar, and the popular wood-base is always nice. But then it was back to the toilet!? Mmm, sad, because while good, I just can't get away from that monster.