Reviews

Reviews by Noelle Pardieu

Very Irrésistible by Givenchy

My daughter's very first choice - I'm the intensly proud mother of a just turned 12 girl. We have plenty of scents to try, this one was in our sample collection. I let her grand mother offer her a eau de toilette bottle for her birthday , not sure how we parents would appreciate... Wlell, we do indeed ! It is a classy classic, quite fit for youths, very pleasurable on a pre teen's scarf.
I'm so happy she has not chosen some sugary stuff (la vie est belle, or "la vie est moche"as french perfumista write...)
Try it if you can !
24th March, 2015 (last edited: 01st April, 2015)

Musc Maori 04 by Parfumerie Generale

OH DEAR ! Wearing this clearly means "eat me !". I makes one smell like a very highly edible chocolate cake with a gorgeous milky vanillartouch and maybe a little red fruit (raspberries ?). I tried it on, looking for a scent for a man who loves chocolate, but I'm not sure he'd like to smell like he IS the chocolate. However, it is a delicious (...) scent on a very cold winter day in Paris : wearing it efficiently makes one feel warm. What excapes me is the name as there is to my mind nothing 'musky' in Musc Maori.
09th February, 2012

Bel Ami by Hermès

I had wished to try a «leather» scent for some time, having no (quite uncommon) member of this family in my little wardrobe. I thought I would appreciate since I often prefer “male” scents to female ones. I haven’t been disappointed. Or only in as much as I don’t smell leather in Bel Ami. Rich wood, aromatic herbs with a touch of amber, a general wish to go lazing beside a fireplace – well, it’s been quite cold and snowy these days in France and I did spend a few hours resting beside an open fire in the country, with Bel Ami on my wrists. It felt perfectly at home. Still does as I have been spraying it there every morning ever since.
To me, it is a deep private pleasure to tune it with Jardins sur le Nil on my scarf and Vol de Nuit on my heart – all right, I could wear Amazone instead, to stay in the tone. Only we haven’t been introduced yet. It feels close to Antaeus, another not-at-all-feminine favourite of mine. Oddly enough, it does not last very long on my skin, but I never considered longevity as quality in itself.
07th January, 2011

No. 68 by Guerlain

At last, a cologne that I really enjoy ! To me, Vol de Nuit addict, it smells quite familiar.
Very pleasant for a man too (my husband for instance, who found it in a boutique Guerlain).
23rd September, 2010

Bleu de Chanel by Chanel

Very disappointing indeed. I fully agree with Off-Scenter : "Above all else, Bleu de Chanel smells ordinary."
10th September, 2010

Antaeus by Chanel

I fully agree wirh Diamondflame : testosterone, it is. As a woman, it is a real pleasure for me to wear it, especially in cold weather.
06th June, 2010

Eau du Soir by Sisley

Beautiful but quite exclusive. I would not think of wearing it with casual clothes or to go to work. This classic yet very assertive, elegant scent is for a self assured not too young woman. Suitable for a ride in a a luxury car through the rue de la Paix rather than a trip in a suburban RER train..
It reminds me of Parure de Guerlain, which I love but rarely feel like wearing.
28th April, 2010

Chamade by Guerlain

Reading the reviews of Chamade published on Base Notes, I sometimes wondered if I was the same scent that I own. I have a bottle of "Eau de Parfum" and its main feature is to be my very warmest winter scent - my other winter favourite being Coco. No trace of lightness or green, Chamade to me is hot, orangey (the color, not the fruit) sunny, heavy but very cosy, elegant and above all, extrovert!
All right, I may not have the type to wear this kind of perfume, being very light of skin petite... and not very extovert. I spray it sparsely on my wrists, It is quite enough for me.

I agree with Taliaseki who finds the entry too harsh - but I do smell Hyacinth, strongly so, and it is the part I dislike about Chamade. Afterwards (a short time, thanks god) it gets all creamy and powdery ,like a luxury coat. Then I can go out even if it freezes hard!
28th April, 2010

Fleurs de Cerisier / Cherry Blossom by L'Occitane

(I think it is"Fleur de Cerisier").
In Paris, it is cheap and very easily found (at chemist's, in department stores and at L'occitane's shops). To my knowledge, it is not a limited edition, or not anymore as it is quite successful. And rightly so in my opinion. It is really charming, easy to wear, easy to offer to any woman or girl liking a discreet fresh end of spring sensation.
I wear it, my 75 year old aunt wears it, my daughter, 7, wears it as easily !
08th April, 2010

Vol de Nuit by Guerlain

I First met it at my great grand mother's. When I was looking for my first perfum, at 19, I went to Guerlain's rue Saint Honoré and had some put sprayed my silk scarf. I have never gone without it ever since, or rather, I always come back to it.
It has this original dark blue, sensual, mysterious and original caracter of which I never tire - though I often have to stop wearing it for a while because I do not smell it anymore.
To me, Vol de Nuit is not old fashioned, though I seldom smell it on someone else.
My very favourite with Chanel's Cristalle
22nd March, 2010

Chance by Chanel

A very easy scent to wear. To me, it smells like a fun fair stand selling doughnuts, cotton candy, love apple and such like - a friend of mine, working for Chanel, finds this opinion very disrespectful. However, Chance is a very pleasant uncomplicated all weather perfume on me. A not too risky idea as a present to to a teenager - at least in France.
22nd March, 2010