Reviews by mohendrix

Womanity by Thierry Mugler

I don't get the fishy smell/"caviar" note, or even the alleged salt. This perfume is pure fig to me. It starts out sweet fruity fig, like fresh preserves--not syrupy stewed figs or green ripe figs, but like fig jam. Sweet but not cloying. The drydown cuts some of the sweetness and brings out the fig leaf and wood. Gives it a little depth. "Fruity" is many people's least favorite fragrance category, but this one is so well done, so sophisticated. (And I got a great deal on it online, so I'm very happy.) The bottle is overdone and gaudy, but somehow has personality and appeal.

21st April, 2011

Fleurs de Nuit by Badgley Mischka

Easily the most beautiful bottle I own, but the juice doesn't quite live up to it. It is a light, linear, pretty jasmine. There is no "nuit" anywhere in this perfume. The jasmine is light and green, with no creaminess or indoles whatsoever. Hours later it dries down to have a soft powderiness, but even that development is a thin unassuming stage. I feel like it's halfway between Kenneth Cole Black (watery thin shrieky jasmine) and Serge Lutens A La Nuit (green honeyed velvety jasmine). It's not bad, but it's not what I want from my white florals. It lacks depth. The sillage is light and the lasting power is fine. Not a bad or "cheap" perfume, just not in the style I enjoy. It's very simple on me.

16 April, 2011

Gardenia by Elizabeth Taylor

Well the bottle is stunning. The juice is only so-so. It starts out sweet and green, almost with a suggestion of citrus, then quickly develops into a lovely gardenia, quite accurate, right down to the creamy waxy quality it has. Sadly, this "waxy" aspect keeps going, all the way to crayon town on me. It becomes like a cheap unscented candle, almost plasticky. It'd be nicer if the upper notes stayed longer. The front half reminds me of the discontinued Bath & Body Works Gardenia (also in a lovely green bottle.) Granted, chemistry varies and it might stay perfectly lovely on someone else.

15 April, 2011

Aqua Allegoria Tiaré-Mimosa by Guerlain

Embodies the description "pretty". What I hoped Flora Nymphea would be--a light pastel floral bouquet, with a hint of honey and pollen, and a soft musky powdery drydown. I dislike powder, but it's very subtle and soft here. The mimosa, tiare, and ylang-ylang are dominant but don't punch you in the face. I get no fruit--maybe a suggestion of citrusy brightness, but not really audibly. Springy. Good lasting power. I got mine at a discounter for $30--certainly worth that price!

05 April, 2011

Brit by Burberry

One of the first perfumes I bought. :) The EDT versions is very crisp and fresh (but not clean/soapy by any means). The lime is zingy but not sharp, cradled by lightly sweet vanilla, very faint powder, and a general sense of sparkle. I don't get much almond (I hate almond; perhaps it's stronger in the EDP?) Equally suitable for summer or winter.

04 April, 2011

Iris by Crabtree & Evelyn

This is a beautiful scent. I was doing holiday shopping and fell in love at first sniff at the C&E store at a mall, but walked away--then bought it at another C&E store at an outlet mall the same day. :) It's soft and almost dusty, both rooty and a dash floral, but not sweet or green. Ethereal, sensual, but aloof. It doesn't have power-sillage, but it lasts several hours near the skin and on my clothes. The price point is excellent too. One of my favorites.

04 April, 2011