Reviews by googlymoogly1

Mazzolari Lui by Mazzolari

So I've been at this cologne thing for about 2 years and I've finally found one. A keeper. With a great deal of help from the all you folks at Basenotes.

For my taste I've had trouble finding the right balance between refined, well-crafted, and masculine. If your searching for a fragrance that is not too stodgy (EdP), effete (Body Kouros), or trendy. Then you may have just found the one.

I'm not sure about the imagery of italian criminals and feral men, but I do think this is the fragrance of a very confident man. Confident, but easy in his own skin. Not hard, but strong.

First all I don't know if this is as overpowering as one might be led to believe. For sure it is a room clearer upon application, but to Foetidus's point below, after a while it begins to hang very close to the skin. I would call it an intimate fragrance. Full bodied, warm, and encompassing, but not Playing in anyone else's space.

Second, I would agree with the comments by diver down on longevity. You'll be getting whiffs of it all day long. Which is awesome if your skin devours fragrances like mine.

Finally, To me, there is a hint of vanilla or something here. Especially in the dry down. It can come pretty close to sweet at times. That might be my skin leaching out some of the other fragances. If your from Texas you might be reminded of Dr. Pepper.

This one will always be in my cabinet.

03 February, 2011

Cereus pour Homme No. 5 by Cereus

Many times I don't get the comparisons that people make so I try not to make them. However, When you open a new cologne and can only think of another cologne...

Like the other reviewers I immediately thought of Terre d'Hermes. This cologne fades MUCH faster and is far less powerful. This would be a great cologne for someone that likes the fragrance of TdH, but thinks it's a little too strong. Also, The dry down is much more floral the TdH.

13 May, 2010

Duro by Nasomatto

Don't disregard the notes about the strength and sillage of this cologne. It is powerful. I have very dry skin and I literally consume colognes. They're almost all gone within an hour, but this one stays around forever.

Whenever I try this I can't help but think of a Dr. Pepper that's been left out in the sun. It has a syrupy (cough, soda, etc.) that I can't get around. Then someone's come along and tried to toughen it up by giving it some spice. Other's keep referring to it as brutish, etc. It reminds me of the guy who is not the brute, but oh so wants to be.

12 May, 2010 (Last Edited: 19 April, 2012)

Usher for Men by Usher

I'd love to be too refined to enjoy this cologne, but I"m not. It goes on a bit strong, but then dries down into something spicy, but with a touch of smooth/sweet. The silage is not great and neither is the longevity. I really wish I could find this cologne made with more quality ingredients. To me it's a great idea suitably executed with ingredients by the cheapest bidder.

It does smell like something for a younger man, but having said that I think the "younger" guys are are onto something. Seems to me that many of their colognes do an admirable job of combining a masculine cologne with something that a woman would actually like to get close to. As opposed to many of the niche designs, that are highly praised, and smell either stodgy or downright feminine.

Vetiver 46 by Le Labo

This cologne reminds me of Black Jeans by Versace. Very dry and smoky to my nose. Not a heavy, wet smoke but a lighter persistent smokiness.

The note stayed the same throughout on my skin. Not much change.

Bergamote 22 by Le Labo

This cologne makes me think of sitting on a veranda on a summers evening in the Texas Hill Country. Cicadas chirping, hot dry wind blowing through the cedars, scrub, and limestone canyon. Citrusy and Dry. I like it a lot.

Chrome by Azzaro

Fresh and clean. My 6 year old son loves this, and since I picked it up for $10.00 at TJ Maxx he is now the cleanest smelling Kindergartner at his school. Chrome's watery note is quite pronounced so If you like the fragrance, but the watery note is too strong try Chrome Sport.

L'Air du Desert Marocain by Tauer

This fragance was so similar to the smell of a Lip Balm I used as a kid that it was amazing. If you've smelled/used Carmex (made in Wisconsin) you've smelled this cologne.

07 April, 2010 (Last Edited: 29 March, 2012)