Reviews by ad_scott

Midnight in Paris by Van Cleef & Arpels

The opening is fresh: lemon, then bergamot and rosemary, then it adjusts to a mild, fruity green tea. 5 minutes later things start to get interesting as the opening notes synthesize with a kind of muted smoky-rubbery note resulting in a harmonious mid. When the dry down initiates, the brightness fades and the darker tones dominate (very well done as it feels like being in Paris around midnight at a bar with a glass of Bourbon.) There's a delicate boozy element at play. Moments later, I experience only the leather, tonka and incense notes which somehow forge a faint vanilla/almond/coffee aroma. I admire this scent, it is smooth, creamy, delicious and comforting. It's a fragrance for the autumn and winter. Sillage and longevity are full-bodied yet mild - stays close to the skin. Bottle is also very nice. All in all a very good fragrance.
22nd April, 2016

Azzaro pour Homme by Azzaro

The freshest and cleanest of woody fragrances I've ever come across. A nice fresh blast of lavender and anise in the opening then in the mid to dry down it's consistent of sandalwood, lemon and musk. A good run of longevity and modest sillage. Barbershop and sophistication in one.
21st April, 2016

Tommy by Tommy Hilfiger

Well nice. This was a 'go to' fragrance of mine back in 1996/97. Best way I can describe the scent is like spicy green apples. I kind of get the Apple Pies note; this stands out more than the other notes, although the Midwest Spearmint note supports, giving a balance of freshness. Definitely a spicy, fresh, fruity gourmand vibe. Hefty sillage and longevity - lasts all day long. I find Tommy comforting and evocative, takes me back to home in the '90s.
20th April, 2016

Eau de Prep by Tommy Hilfiger

Eau de Prep is very nice indeed, most certainly a noteworthy fragrance. I prefer this to Tommy Man as it's lighter, fresher and more versatile. On the opening grapefruit is the prominent note which hangs around for a while then the juniper berry comes into play. The dry down is tonic water and suede. Sillage and longevity are moderate. I first put my nose on this fragrance in Spain and it couldn't have been in a better setting. Eau de Prep was made for the summer, it works so well in the warm climates.
19th April, 2016

Giorgio for Men by Giorgio Beverly Hills

For the price, the quantity and quality is very good indeed. Honey, patchouli and amber dominance.
Superb sillage and longevity - lingers on the shirt collar the following morning! Comes in an attractive bottle too. An all-rounder for any occasion but leans more on the casual side. Important to note: only 2-3 sprays maximum as it's quite potent albeit a classic.
18th April, 2016

Bowling Green by Geoffrey Beene

This is a remarkable scent. On first sniff it is Drakkar Noir's cousin, however I prefer Bowling Green as it's more natural, calm and classy than its kinsman. I don't mind Drakkar Noir but I found it too stout and more on the artificial side.

The name of Bowling Green fits well with the scent - it's different tones of green grass and trees which are taken care of by a greenkeeper. EDT is sturdy in projection, sillage and longevity.

Remindful of the putting green at the golf club after a little rain in spring time. Fresh lemon in the opening then it calms to pine and fir. It's different greens all the way through, like a lavish golf course or a graceful landscape; not any woods really, just greens. Bowling Green is a classic, every gentleman/fragrance collector should own it.
11th March, 2016

Tabac Original by Mäurer & Wirtz

I have admired Tabac EDC ever since I was a young boy in the 1980s, as father sported it. It is an evocative and comforting scent and it does attain that old school barbershop feel. Tabac has been going for nearly 60 years!

I don't really detect the tobacco note in Tabac...maybe a faint hint of it now and again... a generic budget kind of tobacco in a pouch (remindful of Drum Halfzware Shag.)I certainly get the citrus and aldehyde blast in the opening, then it's pretty much a linear scent all the way through.

On the drydown it's citrus, white soap and clean. I find it difficult to pick out Tabac's other notes as
I just get the citrus and white soap - maybe a hint of pepper and tobacco but it's very slight. If there are other notes present I can't pinpoint them because there's a kind of blur to the senses.

Longevity is ace, it lasts all day and sillage is moderate. EDC is available in splash and spray. EDT I experienced to be decent but a totally different scent, more floral, sharper and sweeter; I much prefer the EDC.

For years I've been using the shaving soap religiously which is amazing considering the price, scent and lifespan - a puck lasts me around 3 years.
The shaving soap scent is similar to the aftershave and EDC but I find it a bit more refined - cleaner/neutral with a dash of citrus. Reminds me of a brand new bathroom, a clean and new ceramic tile smell.

Tabac is great value for money, and it is true... it is hard to find other fragrances at the same price that are as robust and unique in scent, longevity and sillage. Unsurpassed German engineering.
03rd March, 2016 (last edited: 04th March, 2016)

Eau Sauvage by Christian Dior

This was Steve McQueen's personal favourite...and I can see why...fine lemon with a touch of vetiver, a tad powdery. To my nose it smells dated, reminds me of something nice but I can't remember what! Not overpowering, it's just right. Sort of lemon trees and green grass with a summer breeze in mind. Maybe an 18-hole game of golf, then to the club house locker room before going upstairs to the bar for a drink on the rocks. Eau Sauvage has that vibe.
27th February, 2016

New York by Nicolaï

I kid you not...this one smells like the late 1980s
more than any other fragrance I've experienced. Totally reminds me of primary school in winter 1989. Walking on the assembly hall wooden floor all buffed and squeaky clean, heading for the stationery cupboard fully stocked to the ceiling with brand new pens, pencils, erasers, inks, tubes of glitter and bulk packs of paper. I think it's the powdery amber in New-York that initiates that anecdote. Masculine. Clean. Crisp. Powdery. Dusty. Interesting. Remarkable. What a great find!
15th December, 2015 (last edited: 16th December, 2015)

Brut by Fabergé

When I smell Brut what images come to mind? ...An Austrian forest with mountains in the distance on a pleasant winter day. In the foreground are freshly cut logs in a timber pile and from the forest a breeze of floral spices pass by... A legend.
08th December, 2015

Blue Stratos by Parfums Bleu

Very pleasant indeed. A decent scent for any occasion - fresh, cool and clean. Smells unique and to my nose Blue Stratos definitely belongs in the late 1970s/early 1980s memory slot - reminds me of a time when 3 wheeler vans existed and when one had to walk over to a TV set to change the channel. For the price it's an absolute bargain considering the scent, sillage and longevity. Cheap enough to discard if this fragrance is not for you.
03rd December, 2015

L'Air du Desert Marocain by Tauer

What first comes to mind is being at a medina in Marrakesh surrounded by stalls and vendors selling a vast array of spices and wooden trinkets. It is midday and the sun is beating down. Warm gusts of wind pass through the medina levitating dust from the ground and mixing it with the smoky, comforting aroma of pipe tobacco drawn and exhaled by wandering old men. A few yards away from the spice stall is a cookie vendor;
the essence of vanilla drifts over the various spices displayed upon sun-baked wood. A luxury 3rd world.
11th November, 2015

One Man Show by Jacques Bogart

When sprayed from the bottle the initial blast is remindful of a greenhouse full of Basil, Cilantro, Chamomile, Mint and Parsley. I think of fresh green potted herbs in a clean and controlled environment. The opening is bold, I enjoy it, however I much prefer the drydown which is a soapy leather with a faint woody edge... not sure if that's the rosewood or cedarwood notes - or both - but it smells great! Reminds me of a car interior with leather seats and a wooden dashboard that has just been valeted. I like One Man Show because it is old skool - clean, fresh and masculine. Amazing value for money and I think One Man Show is a 'must have' especially for the fragrance collector.

11th October, 2015

One Man Show Gold Edition by Jacques Bogart

Nice and complex but very robust indeed!!! Without question the most powerful fragrance I've ever encountered. Beastly in all departments! I find it sweet and sharp, kind of reminds me of toffee apples and strawberry bubblegum with musky/earthy undertones. It is awesome and I like it but it's too strong on application! 1 spray to the hand then patted around the neck is enough for 24 hours! I also own the 'One Man Show' original fragrance which is a completely different ballpark - it's like a cross between a greenhouse and a dusty car interior with leather seats.
Out of the 2 fragrances I prefer the original as it's greener and far quieter.
01st July, 2015 (last edited: 22nd July, 2015)

Sienna by Crabtree & Evelyn

This is/was my favourite scent out of the men's range at C&E. Sad to hear it has been discontinued. I've tried the eau de toilette and soap - both were superb. Very masculine...woody, earthy, leathery, herby and powdery. If I could set a scene to match this fragrance it would be like walking into Penhaligon's at St. James Street, London. Sort of traditional, old world vibe, gentlemen with mustaches and monocles wearing top hats; coach and horses out front...
01st July, 2015

Nomad / Moroccan Myrrh by Crabtree & Evelyn

A nice, calm and likeable scent for everyday wear for any occasion. Green, orange, bamboo - but all tranquil. A vague image of a middle eastern desert, camel and spice trader comes to mind. A decent go to fragrance if you are after a pleasant, fresh, yet not overpowering eau de toilette.
01st July, 2015

Bogart pour Homme by Jacques Bogart

Bogart pour Homme is an interesting fragrance. Upon deployment I get fresh cherry pipe tobacco in a leather pouch balanced with a medicinal note akin to surgical spirit. Root beer in the background with an artificial trace similar to fresh plasticine. I like it alot! Pricewise very good indeed, robust in longevity, projection and sillage, nice bottle design, reliable sprayer, a bold opening that calms to a prodigious drydown. I believe this Jacques Bogart product is one of the best value for money fragrances I've ever encountered.
18th June, 2015

Musgo Real by Claus Porto

The Classic Scent aftershave is quite unique. I enjoyed using this splash as it felt very old school, like an Edwardian barbershop! Although Musgo Real is Portuguese, I experienced it as classic, traditional and yesteryear British - remindful of how Dunhill of London barbershop may have smelt back in 1903.

Overall the Musgo Real Classic Scent aftershave does have a warm, grassy, laundry and talcum powder scent going on. The aftershave lotion is viscous which is advantageous as it drips slowly out of the bottle then conditions the post-shaved face very well. For the cost you definitely get spectacular mileage out of this.

I like the bottle design also; classic looking with a more oblong than square shape and feels good in the hand.

I've not tried the Musgo Real Classic Scent shave cream but I've heard it's sensational!
18th June, 2015

Grey Flannel by Geoffrey Beene

Impressive! I enjoy sporting this. Grey Flannel is fairly robust yet almost meek at the same time. Amazing value for the price. It retains a linear (kind of) petroleum vibe. Reminds me very much of Fahrenheit by Christian Dior and Knize Ten.
12th June, 2015

Brut 33 by Fabergé

A great classic splash! More diluted and powdery than the original but smells just as good, if not better. I've got a vintage bottle of Brut 33 kept in storage. Evocative and very '80s.
12th June, 2015

Eau d'Hadrien by Annick Goutal

Absolutely lush! I always thought Alvarez Gomez Agua de Colonia Concentrada was the best lemon scented fragrance available but now I've discovered Eau d'Hadrien...WOW! The lemon in Eau d'Hadrien smells so akin to real lemons - I can detect notes of lemon peel and pure lemon juice overlaying herbal and woody undertones. Bearing in mind this fragrance stays close to the skin, sillage and longevity are not robust or overpowering but decent enough. I think Eau d'Hadrien is worth the cost as it delivers what it was designed to evoke: a beautiful Tuscan landscape with lemon trees.
13th May, 2015

Hai Karate by Healthpoint Ltd

Yesterday at my local supermarket I discovered Hai Karate (by pure accident) semi-visible on the display shelf... Without thinking I snapped it up at an RRP of only £3 GBP!

Hai Karate was a happy find as I've been meaning to try this classic aftershave again after not seeing it anywhere since the late 1980s! Back then it was well marketed and popular with a decent reputation. My father used Hai Karate in a rotation of Old Spice, Brut and Quorum.

I'm currently sporting Hai Karate and simply put: I like it. Firstly, it brings back childhood memories. The scent in the bottle is completely different in comparison to the drydown scent. On opening the bottle top it smells very pleasant like a fresh, sharp, medicinal citrus tonic. It's beautiful. In contrast, the drydown most certainly has a Brut feel to it but moreso Brut 33 than original Brut... it has that watered-down quality but nice all the same...green and powdery... it's kind of like a green tea scent with a bit of amber in the background (Denim by Faberge amber nostalgia). Hai Karate is a nice fragrance, I can't see how anyone can dislike it - it's fresh, clean and smells good. It is without doubt part of the '80s classic scent family; if you enjoy Old Spice, Brut, Denim, Blue Stratos, etc then add some Hai Karate to your collection, it's almost amazing.
05th April, 2015

Portinari by O Boticário

During a trip in South America I visited an outlet of O Boticário. I was reeled in by Portinari's display because
of its colourful and attractive packaging. I sampled the fragrance there and then and was impressed so I made a swift purchase. I was delighted with Portinari's light and crisp scent; to my nose it's like a fresh citrus and tangerine blend with a musky base. Definitely a fragrance for the spring and summertime. What I also found interesting about this fragrance is it was named after the famous Brazilian painter Cândido Portinari and the packaging depicts one of his colourful paintings.
11th March, 2015

Gold Man by Amouage

On the beach in the Middle East...the essence of lavish sunscreen projects from the skin entwined with the scent of sandalwood cologne; warm wooden decking meets the sand with Jasmine flowers nearby.
The sun is almost unbearable. An Arab passes by smoking a tobacco pipe; behind him in the distance a spice vendor stands at his stall. White marble steps with a gold balustrade lead up to a luxury hotel terrace at the beachside...
11th February, 2015

Quorum by Antonio Puig

Great value for money in terms of quantity and scent. The most I get out of this fragrance is pine, leather, white soap and Marlboro cigarette tobacco/ash. Some days I get a pine forest in winter feeling and other days it smells like an old worn leather jacket impregnated with cigarette smoke. A smoky, clean, green fragrance. Definitely for the fall season; decent sillage, projection and longevity. Quorum is certainly a classic; I remember it being popular in the 1980s and it conjures up memories of Pye televisions with wood-effect casing next to the fireplace at home during a white Christmas. Quorum is masculine, homey and stimulates self-confidence.
05th February, 2015

Rive Gauche pour Homme by Yves Saint Laurent

I like this scent.. truly fresh, creamy and barbershop! On wearing Rive Gauche I find that I can't really smell it on myself but other people can smell it on me... then the following day I can clearly smell it on my shirt collar! It's as if the scent comes in waves. I don't know why this is? Maybe because Rive Gauche is so clean and fresh?? But when I do smell Rive Gauche full on it is wonderful - like a barbershop shaving cream with a mellow herbal touch akin to sandalwood - maybe a tad minty too? The bottle design is well done; looks like a can of shaving cream, a perfect design to match the scent. I'd say Rive Gauche is fairly versatile: office, date, social occasions... but bottom line is: It's clean, fresh and creamy like the aura of a well groomed gentleman at Savile Row.
26th January, 2015

Bergamotto Marino by Gianfranco Ferré

Beautiful and comforting scent...I enjoy the marine dominance in this cologne. It takes me to
summer days at the coast; out in the sun, fresh sea air, grass and orange trees...then later on heading back home and having an ocean fresh bubblebath. In the opening I get fresh bergamot, lemon and blackcurrant; very fresh and fruity, then it turns a little salty and the sea rolls in harbouring the perfect dosage of seaweed. It is reminiscent of standing on grass, near some orange trees next to the beach with a fresh salty-seaweed breeze. BM changes again and remains at a clean artificial aquamarine scent like a bar of seaweed and loofah soap in a pure white bathroom.
22nd January, 2015

Mugler Cologne by Thierry Mugler

Top cologne! Very good indeed! Intense fresh green soap followed by a humble vetiver/grassy dimension. The opening is like what many say...straight out of a hot shower; steamy, fresh, clean vibe. The drydown is warm grass on a breezy summer's day. Reminds me of the south of France. Robust longevity, sillage and projection - lasts 8 hours, projects well and no doubt lingers. Delightful!
18th January, 2015

Gendarme by Gendarme

Fresh, out of the shower, clean linen, a bit of gin and tonic; a chamois leather cloth in warm soapy water. The subtle leather note is definitely there at the base. Simply beautiful!
15th January, 2015

24 Gold by ScentStory FZE

Lush! 24 Gold is amazing for the price! Low price but quality-wise, up there with Tobacco Vanille; rich and gourmand. In 24 Gold I detect raspberry, vanilla, tobacco, white chocolate, cream...It's a rich and fresh fragrance captured in a bottle that Francisco Scaramanga would own! Good sillage and longevity. Overall very impressive. A+
12th January, 2015