Reviews by ad_scott

Emperor by Parfums Vintage

More or less a spot on version of a smoky batch of Aventus - can hardly tell the difference! Very well blended. Emperor lasts around 16 hours...yesterday I applied it at 8 a.m. (opening: a bright pineapple blast) then at around midnight I was detecting intermittent whiffs of birch. During the day it retained a woody pineapple vibe, then in the final hours the birch note came in to play. This is the best alternative to Aventus, highly recommended!
09th January, 2020

Imbue by Parfums Vintage

A nice, well blended and calming fragrance. Not the best from the House of PV but decent to say the least. Imbue is something to wear on a Sunday afternoon when drinking tea and reading a book. Longevity is awesome at 8+ hours.
09th December, 2019

Kalan by Parfums de Marly

A very enjoyable scent with decent projection, sillage and longevity. I enjoy Kalan and Layton but my all time favourite is Herod; nothing beats it, one of the best fragrances I've ever put my nose on.
08th November, 2019

Vanilla Intense by Parfums Vintage

This is nice. The vanilla is the top player in this scent. Not my favourite out of the PV range but I could happily wear this for any occasion. It smells pleasant and it performs well for hours on end. Best to get a PV sample set first to try out which release fits best on your person.

King Intense by Parfums Vintage

It's nice. It has the Pineapple Vintage DNA but slightly more woody/smoky? Best to get a sample first to try out. It is a decent scent which performs boldly.

Emperor Extrait by Parfums Vintage

One of my favourites out of the entire PV range. Impressive with its beautiful pineapple scent, powerful projection, strong sillage and beastly longevity. Almost identical to Aventus in essence however Emperor Extrait seems to last much longer (2 sprays is suffice).

1725 Casanova by Histoires de Parfums

Midnight in Paris by Van Cleef & Arpels comes to mind although I prefer 1725 as its seems more natural/quality smelling. Quite dusty and old world but the Licorice note in this is nice.
14th October, 2019

Club de Nuit Intense for Men by Armaf

Really nice for the price and at a glance just like Aventus. This gets compliments - very good indeed.
03rd July, 2019

Baccarat Rouge 540 by Maison Francis Kurkdjian

I am more on the side of like for Baccarat Rouge 540. I disagree with the hospital or dentist vibe which many have claimed, but I do agree with what others have said about the funfair aura this fragrance emits. When smelling Baccarat Rouge 540 I immediately think of the funfair: toffee apples and candy floss, surrounded by traditional Gypsy caravans immobile on the cobbled streets. I get the feeling of being outdoors on a cold evening encompassed by wood, stone and confectioneries: yes, the funfair!
28th June, 2019

Hacivat by Nishane

A very nice fragrance which smells awesome. I prefer this more than Aventus; Hacivat seems to be richer. More wood and powder to the senses. Luxurious.
28th June, 2019

Bergamote 22 by Le Labo

I like this, it is very well blended; nice, fresh and I adore the vetiver note. My only criticism is..it's overpriced!
21st June, 2019

Acqua di Giò Profumo by Giorgio Armani

I adore this fragrance, it always reminds me of winter and fir trees. Longevity is a beast - 48 hours! Amazing!!!
05th May, 2019

Voyage by Nautica

A nice and clean aquatic. For the price this is an absolute gem of a fragrance; so cheap and yet smells like a costly designer brand. Great stuff!
05th May, 2019

Wanted by Azzaro

A nice and light fragrance. Remindful of Denim by Fabergé, has elements of that to it but this one is slightly darker. Bottle design is excellent. A safe one to go for as all of its attributes are decent.
27th April, 2019

Spicebomb by Viktor & Rolf

Nice. Spicy, sweet and musky. The dry down reminds me of Tobacco Vanille.
27th April, 2019

Pineapple Vintage X Batch Intense by Parfums Vintage

This flanker is better than the former X Batch. I do like X Batch for its fresh scent however I feel it lacks longevity so I'd rather invest in the intense version which is stronger and achieves better longevity, sillage and projection. Also more notes are at play in this version - I really enjoy the opening which emanates a gorgeous blend of pineapple, blackcurrant and bergamot. The rest of this fragrant experience moves into floral territory with woody undertones here and there which loiter until the very end. X Batch Intense is one of the best I've tried in the entire Parfums Vintage range.
22nd April, 2019 (last edited: 17th September, 2019)

Pineapple Vintage X Batch by Parfums Vintage

A beautiful opening of an Aventus/Sauvage combo but unfortunately it doesn’t last on my skin. A few sprays and then 2 hours later it’s gone! Nice while it lasts though. I prefer the intense version.
22nd April, 2019

Cedrat Boise by Mancera

A nice and clean fragrance; lemon with woody undertones. Not as smoky as Aventus, this is more geared towards fruits and woods. The opening is lemon, the mid is lemon supported by fruits, and the dry down is woody. The opening does have that fruity Aventus vibe but I think CB is different and remains its own fragrance from start to finish.
15th March, 2019

Rush of Unicorns by Parfums Vintage

Very well done. The opening reminds me somewhat of Fahrenheit maybe because of the Sandalwood, Bergamot and Lavender notes. There's a bit of gasoline going on at the start but all in all it's a fresh, clean and bold fragrance. I like it.
15th March, 2019

Pineapple Vintage Intense by Parfums Vintage

Very nice but not sure if I prefer this or Pineapple Vintage - I can't decide! Both are extremely good.
11th March, 2019

French Fern by Odore Mio

Very fresh and green, opening smells natural just like a fern. Good sillage, longevity and projection like all the Odore Mio range of fragrances. The dry down moves away from fresh fern revealing amber and spice. Interesting.
24th February, 2019

Coral Reef by Odore Mio

Nice oceanic fragrance. Remindful of sitting on rocks by the sea. Sea air vibe, slightly salty with some seaweed/sea moss. The mint note in this is delightful, like Pernod on ice. Also get a slight feel of woods. An interesting fragrance.
24th February, 2019

Tobacco Cologne by Odore Mio

I have tried 6 of Odore Mio's fragrances and thus far Tobacco Cologne is my favourite. To my nose, this is a floral tobacco with a touch of fruit and spice. When I first used this fragrance, tobacco and roses came to mind but after a few more sprays, different notes such as lime and orange come into play. The scent transports me to a place like Morocco; sat outside on a terrace in the blazing sun, surrounded by flowers, the heat is pounding on the wooden-planked floor. The smell of pipe, cigar, and cigarette smoke is in the air blending harmoniously with the scent of fruits and spices from the nearby market stalls. This is a beautifully mastered cologne, not too harsh, not too frail, it's done just right. Decent sillage, longevity and projection.
24th January, 2019 (last edited: 31st January, 2019)

Paco Rabanne Pour Homme by Paco Rabanne

Top marks! Probably the very first fragrance I ever encountered back in the 1980s. Dad always had a bottle. The best way I can describe PRPH is it smells like the finest soap and talcum powder set that money can buy...refined, clean, fresh and comforting. It really is unique and evocative.
24th January, 2019

Tobacco Oud by Odore Mio

Tobacco Oud is impressive. This is a dark pipe tobacco or a plug tobacco. It also screams incense! It has the vibe of a new age ethnic shop...incense sticks, wooden holders and sandalwood soap. This fragrance is refined and robust, 2 sprays maximum. Daring and delicious in one...
24th January, 2019

Chergui by Serge Lutens

A luxurious version of Eau des Baux; creamier and smoother. I get the hay, tobacco and honey more than anything else.
De luxe.
23rd January, 2019

Beautiful Day by Jean-Charles Castelbajac

Delicate fruits, almond, and a touch of musk. A walk in the gardens on a beautiful day!
18th January, 2019

Brut Special Reserve by Brut

Out of the EDT, EDC, Splash-on and Aftershave versions of Brut, I prefer Special Reserve as it has more of a rugged edge. This version is musky, powdery and minty. I love all the different formats of Brut but Special Reserve gives my nose the most pleasure.
27th November, 2018 (last edited: 15th January, 2019)

Herod by Parfums de Marly

I enjoy this fragrance more than Tobacco Vanille. Herod is like a 50/50 mixture of Tobacco Vanille and 24 Gold EDT. The opening to mid is smooth vanilla pipe tobacco mixed with gourmand fruits (cherries and raspberries) packed in a luxury leather pouch! Herod’s dry down is almost identical to Eau des Baux: dry and peppery with cinnamon. Longevity, sillage and projection seem modest, not as boorish as 24 Gold. Herod earns a place in my top 5.
11th November, 2018 (last edited: 10th January, 2019)

Helmut Lang Eau de Cologne by Helmut Lang

(This is a review for the Original version). Simply beautiful! White, pink and yellow florals upon a freshly polished cedarwood base surrounded by fresh white laundry. A very clean and refreshing scent with vibes of white soap and sherbet - in a very good way!
11th November, 2018