Reviews by ad_scott

Michael Jordan by Michael Jordan

Really nice cologne. Smells wonderful. Remindful of a forest.. grass and fir needles in the summertime topped with a fresh sporty edge. The top notes of lemon and grapefruit tend to bonk me in the opening then I really enjoy the drydown of wood and grass which dawdle for hours. Evocative of Drakkar Noir which I experienced to be too robust and dark green whereas MJ Cologne is less punchy, more on the light side, and has more notes at play. I applaud the bottle design as it fully reflects the sport of basketball and the price is superb value for 100ml. Projection and longevity are good on me; lasts all day and can still smell it at night. Bijan launched this fragrance so personally it's one to respect as I'm a fan of Bijan Men EDT. I also admired Michael Jordan when I played basketball at school in the early '90s so this cologne has been a good discovery and it's just earned an enduring fixture in my fragrance collection.

22 May, 2014 (Last Edited: 21st May, 2014)

Armani Mania by Giorgio Armani

Really pleased with Mania. It was a blind buy though well worth the risk! Many reviews I've seen have put Mania down saying it's nothing special but I disagree - I really like it. In the opening I get a sweet hit of what I can best describe as fresh lime and vodka with a tad of aldehydes. Soon it calms down to a persistent velutinous fabric and leather vibe; reminiscent of a brand new car interior with leather seats or a new tailor shop full of new suits. Mania evokes images of virginal luxury cars, a modern gentleman in a suit an tie, a very new office suite. This fragrance holds the Armani signature that takes me back to the mid-late 1990s, maybe it's the amber note that attains this mawkishness. Yes, the notes in this fragrance are simple but in terms of wearing this fragrance I regard it as sophisticated, interesting and suitable for use at the office or during a night out. Would I use it for a date? Yes I probably would. Longevity is decent, minimum of 5 hours and sillage is not tenacious but modest. Bottle design is awesome, modern and minimal, adequately suiting the fragrance itself. Overall I give Mania 8 out of 10.

21st May, 2014

Tobacco Vanille by Tom Ford

Beautiful. Rich, smooth and a little dark. Opening reminds me very much of vanilla extract for cooking with notes of cinnamon, some dark raisins, berries and even more complexity is present...leather, polished wood? Some notes I can't fathom but are interesting and delicious to say the least. Tough to articulate but I'm reminded of velvet and silk...This is top quality stuff. During the drydown, the gourmet aspect leaves and the vanilla changes to a pipe tobacco, a quality mild vanilla pipe tobacco with a touch of ash. I own l'Occitane Eau des Baux which some have said is twinned/similar to Tobacco Vanille...I disagree - Tobacco Vanille is certainly deeper, richer, more complex and smells different to my nose. Eau des Baux for me is a more straight forward vanilla pipe tobacco and incense blend with an overall drier edge to it. I reckon Tobacco Vanille is worth the money... It is robust with outstanding sillage and longevity...a couple of sprays maximum and it projects rich and strong - and lingers the following morning.

28 March, 2014

Knize Ten by Knize

Oil, leather, turpentine, floral... robust masculine fragrance

I am impressed with Knize Ten. It reminds me of 3 things: A car tyre shop, a mechanics garage and original Zoflora disinfectant. Whilst wearing this fragrance... rubber, oil, turpentine and hints of leather keep coming into play with a floral note exactly like Zoflora. For me, it's definitely been an exceptional find and special experience. Knize Ten also has an affluent background, emerging in 1924 in Austria from one of the best tailors in the world with stores in New York, Paris and Bad Gastein.

Pros: Masculine, good longevity, decent sillage
    Cons: Expensive"

28 August, 2013

Eau des Baux by L'Occitane

Nice warm vanilla tobacco scent

Really nice tobacco vanilla scent, works well on me. Reminds me of fresh vanilla pipe tobacco packed in a leather pouch. A cheaper alternative to TF's Tobacco Vanille; Eau des Baux is supposed to be just as good and at a 1/3 of the price. One of the best fragrances I've ever owned.

Pros: Vanilla pipe tobacco, good longevity
    Cons:

05 August, 2013

Sergio Tacchini by Sergio Tacchini

Very nice! Clean, sharp and for any occasion scent

I first tried the aftershave version back in 1991 when it was widely available at every department store. I became a great admirer. Gorgeous scent. Over the years it became hard to find and ironically is still hard to find! I had forgotten about it until having a recent flashback which lead to spending some time procuring online, and then finally finding the EDT version (supplied by a UK company). When I received the bottle I removed the cap and had a smell...Wow!!! So subtle yet masculine...citrus, green and wood with a wash of fresh soap triggering memories from 22 years ago. There are floral undertones too. I think it was designed for the tennis player but I wear it at work and socially. Such a unique and pleasant fragrance. I like the bottle also, interesting in shape and design, half glass, half plastic. All in all - unique.

Pros: Clean and fresh, masculine, decent longevity, sporty, casual, formal
    Cons:

23 May, 2013

Old Spice by Procter & Gamble

For the price, scent and longevity Old Spice has got to be one of the best
    splashes out there on the market. My father always used Old Spice and to match the bottle of splash, he had an Old Spice shaving mug and brush (from the '70s). Occasionally, I will buy a bottle of this classic fragrance because it reminds me of my dad and I adore the fresh coastal notes it acquires. I can picture an elegant yachtsman wearing Old Spice.

14 April, 2013

Alt-Innsbruck Eau de Cologne by Alt-Innsbruck

I am a wet shaver and AI is the best aftershave I've ever used. Primarily it has an amazing cooling effect from its menthol content which gradually calms and fades to a floral tobacco scent. To be more specific its scent is very close to a Cuban tobacco field. It also holds a slight dose of natural Nicotiana Tabacum. It's a unique Austrian splash and great value for money! It has a barbershop vibe and I'd say it best suits the cigar and pipe smoker.

24 March, 2013 (Last Edited: 25 March, 2013)

Vetiver by Guerlain

Citrus, soapy, powdery, tobacco, woody, greenery. I adore Vetiver! Some have said it's an 'old man' fragrance but I disagree with that. I'd say Vetiver is masculine, fresh and sophisticated with an aristocratic or regal vibe; suitable for men aged 30 and over. I can see this fragrance being best suited for outdoor sports like hunting, polo, horse riding and for social activities such as family gatherings, a walk in the park, a drink in the beer garden. I'm not sure if it's for the office or a nightclub... it's more of a daytime outdoor fragrance. When I first sampled Vetiver I pictured myself in the countryside, dressed in tweed and knee high in tall grass, holding a shotgun in one hand and a pheasant in the other.

09 September, 2012

Jicky by Guerlain

Jicky is a fine work of art which I love and treasure. The prominent notes are vanilla and lavender...more so vanilla which reminisces the smell of a warm creamy dessert served in an old Parisian brasserie (est. 1889). Overall Jicky has a highly idiosyncratic personality, there's a note in the bottle which gives me intense joy and delight; it could be the civet - not sure - it's like a dusty or soily note, but it shines out and mixed with the vanilla and lavender it's a case of: I've smelt this before and I love it but I can't put my finger on where or when. Timeless classic.

13 August, 2012

Bijan for Men by Bijan

Bijan for Men is wonderful! A great masculine fragrance. When this 1980s legend is applied it starts off as a citrus and sandalwood scent. After an hour a pleasant asphalt-like note takes over, dulling the fresh citrus and fine sandalwood balance. Quite a remarkable fragrance in an interesting round bottle. Nice to wear in the summer and lasts all day. Classy and casual in one!

Habit Rouge by Guerlain

Simply amazing. Reminiscent of the noble hunters on horseback, the eccentric from a gentry background, an old French drawing room with oak panelled walls and gold-framed oil paintings, decanter whisky and aged cigars, leather Chesterfield chairs and rosewood tables... floral arrangements on the tables. Perfect for a gentleman.

Pour Un Homme by Caron

An impressive classic fragrance in an elegant bottle... not too overpowering... simple but sophisticated. The opening is a fresh lavender with a minute hint of musk. After 10 minutes or so, the lavender fades in to the background and sweet vanilla calmly emerges. 20 minutes later... CPUH settles for good with a perfect balance of vanilla and lavender. A nice bright, breezy buzz! This fragrance is amazing and has become a 'go to' favourite.