Reviews by Redleg

Redleg's avatar
    Redleg

Burberry the Beat for Men by Burberry

The pepper scent comes out strong at the beginning. After ten or fifteen minutes it settled down to an incense smell; that's the best way I can describe it, it smelled like walking into a cathedral. Very spicy and masculine. Toss up between neutral and positive... not really excited about it, though, so neutral it is.

01st August, 2010

Story by Paul Smith

Initial impression was a "clean" dryer sheet smell. Quickly became rather floral. Never really got any sense of depth beyond that. Light and fresh to the point where it could be a unisex scent.

01st August, 2010

Le Mâle by Jean Paul Gaultier

The mint is overpowering and smells synthetic. Admittedly, I'm not a big mint fan to begin with, but this cologne gives me a headache.

22 July, 2010

Eternity for Men by Calvin Klein

My first thought when I got it was "Wow, this is the cologne that *everybody* wears." It's got a pleasant enough floral scent with just enough spice to give it an edge. Seems like good to wear to the office; business-like, but not enough to stand out. In my opinion, this is one where it's popularity is actually the biggest strike against it.

22 July, 2010

Sunset Heat for Men by Escada

Very tropical fruity with admittedly little depth. A fun scent that I like to wear (appropriately enough) in the summer in casual settings. The girls like it, but I'll probably look for something else once this bottle is out.

21st July, 2010

Silver Light by Escada

Powdery and floral, almost effeminate. "Light" is a good word for it; you barely notice you're wearing a cologne. Nothing special.

21st July, 2010

Romance Silver Men by Ralph Lauren

The best review I can give are the comments I've gotten from my female friends. "It smells nice, like something a gay man would wear." "Ooh, I like it. Can I borrow it?" "Are you sure it's a man's cologne?"
    A quick double check of the label proved that it was, but the scent doesn't exactly say "masculine."

Armani Code / Black Code by Giorgio Armani

A simple scent that is masculine and modern.

Nautica Competition (new) by Nautica

Like everyone else says, a good simple clean scent for daytime wear.

Vendetta pour Homme by Valentino

I agree with several parts of the other reviews. It is definately a potent, spicey, incense-like brew. Almost a blast from the 70's and sure to make you stand out. Not sure if that's a good thing, the way this smells. It is very easy to overdo it with Vendetta.

Safari for Men by Ralph Lauren

Definately masculine and classic smelling. Reminds me somewhat of Aramis. Too "old" scented for my tastes, however.

Roma Uomo by Laura Biagiotti

Bought it because I was experimenting with colognes like Minotaur. The initial scent was very nice, but it got a bit too sweet for me after about an hour. It is like Minotaur, but I wouldn't choose it over Minotaur.

Navigator by Dana

Navigator starts off with a very fresh scent with masculine tones, like stepping out of the shower at the gym. However, after about thirty minutes the tone continued to sharpen with an almost chemical tang.

Minotaure by Paloma Picasso

I've always enjoyed Minotaur as an evening scent. I've known a couple of people who thought it seemed a little too formal or that it had a bit of a heavy alcohol smell. Seems to do the trick in a suit and tie, though.

Dolce & Gabbana Pour Homme by Dolce & Gabbana

The tobacco is definately the signature scent. The citrus is overpowered by the sweeter notes. Good with a cigar, since the smoke enhances rather than competes with the cologne.

D&G Masculine by Dolce & Gabbana

Citrus and sharp with a very chemical tinge. It becomes tolerable on the dry down and might be good for the office / daytime, but D&G original is still my favorite from their lineup.

11th May, 2006 (Last Edited: 22 July, 2010)

Acqua di Giò pour Homme by Giorgio Armani

A light refreshing daytime scent. I enjoyed it, but, like Cool Water, it is far too popular / common.