Reviews by Ren

Miss Dior Chérie (original) by Christian Dior

Really, really, REALLY nice. I smelled it in the Saks (or Neimans?) catalog and thought it was one of the nicest female scents I've ever come across. I may have to buy this and wear it, even though I'm a man. :D I don't remember exactly what it smelled like, just that I LOVED it. I think it's basically a "Fresh" revamp of the original Miss Dior.

22 September, 2005

L'Eau de Gouverneur / L'Homme by Comptoir Sud Pacifique

really fantastic. totally subtle and pleasant, but so original at the same time. I really love this one. It smells like cotton and linen but not tacky linen like a Yankee candle, just soft like cloth. This is a super fragrance. I HIGHLY recommend it. Should fit almost anyone like a second skin.

19 September, 2005

Passage d'Enfer by L'Artisan Parfumeur

It's very unique. Opens up with frankincense and floral notes over a smoky wood-incense base. I like it at first, but it's very short lived on me and never transforms like other people have mentioned. Seems like it would work nicely in spring and possibly fall. In its last phases before it disappears it becomes very powdery and this irks me a bit. Because it doesn't project very well, the floral notes could be misinterpreted as baby powder.

It's really original and opens up very nicely, but has little staying power and turns a tad unpleasant towards the end of its life. Nice, but not a plausible purchase for me.

17 September, 2005

Centaure by Maître Parfumeur et Gantier

Oh wow.....I LOVE this one!! A very unique citrus over wood that makes itself a tad spicier after a few hours. Very refreshing but not "fresh" if that makes any sense. NIce and cool but refined and classic. Really, really nice. I love it!

17 September, 2005

Nostalgia by Santa Maria Novella

Really special! I love this one. Opens up smelling like a tire store, which is surprisingly attractive on skin, but then it turns into a beautiful spicy vanilla scent with just the faintest hint of rubber in the background.

16 September, 2005 (Last Edited: 25 September, 2005)

H.M. by Hanae Mori

My absolute favorite oriental, and probably second favorite fragrance overall. I truly adore this one. I totally agree that it's what Angel wanted to be but failed - this is a similar ingredient list, but blended to perfection and topped off with the kiss of elegance, while Angel is just a chaotic mess that not only sits there and does nothing, but will also cost you almost twice as much as Hanae Mori. I've worn both the Eau de Toilette and the Eau de Parfum, and I don't have a clear cut preference as they're both fabulous, but I will say that the Eau de Parfum has richer basenotes and is a bit creamier than the EDT. The lemon and bergamot "pop" in the EDT.

05 September, 2005

Yang by Jacques Fath

I love it!! But it was NOT was I was expecting.
    It's quite a bit more oriental than what I was picturing. It's not so much tea as it is a tea SERVICE - with scones, jam, chai spices, cinnamon, clove?, mint, honey, cream, and...a touch of eucalyptus. "Smoky" isn't the right word. It's more spicy. But gourmand spicy, like Hanae Mori, not pungent spicy. It definately has a masculine, cologne quality but it's certainly unique as well! Definately different from Silver Mountain Water. Heavier, but not overwhelming. The spices give it a different edge. It actually reminds me a bit of Dolce & Gabbana Pour Homme, it's dry and sweet at the same time. Conclusion: I like it!

31st August, 2005

Z by Ermenegildo Zegna

Eugh. GROSS. It smells a LOT like Acqua di Gio. In fact, WAY too much like AdG...It has this sickeningly sweet quality to it that is just nauseating to be around. I'm close to a person who wears this almost everyday and I can't stand to be near him when he's just sprayed it on. The longevity is about standard, probably 4-6 hours, but it never morphs or changes, it's very one dimensional. If you like it on the card, you'll like it on your skin. But what's hard to detect on the card is that it has that "smooth" aura that's so sickening and found in many "designer" sweet-woody frags such as Boss In Motion and AdG. I say no on this one.

15 August, 2005

Boss in Motion by Hugo Boss

The "creamsicle" effect on this one is really sickening on me. The initial spray is quite nice, like a citrus salad heavy on the mandarin. But as it dries down, it gets rather gross. It has that same sickeningly sweet aura to it that is found in Zegna Z and AdG. Maybe some others wear it better than I do. The other thing is that even though it's not "strong" per se, you don't want to spray too much of it. If you can handle the overwhelming creaminess, you should only be able to do so in small amounts.

15 August, 2005

John Varvatos by John Varvatos

Wow!! This is a very unique fragrance. (I haven't tried Le Dandy, so I don't know how these compare. To my nose, it's unique.) There are definately some notes in here I've never seen in any other fragrance. It starts off smelling like a beautiful blend of sweet and woody. The first thing that popped into my head was "campfire". You can almost smell s'mores, sweet like marshmallow and graham cracker but you can tell there's a wood burning fire in the background. There's also a bit of fruit in the background, but not sweet fruit, more like date and fig.

Millésime Impérial by Creed

Immensely pleasant. I like it! However, I agree that it's not very strong, and I think it has a bit of a feminine drydown. At first it seemed a little one dimensional to me, but on a second wearing I detected more. It's very similar to SMW, it has that same instantly recognizable basenote that is found in almost all of the Creed fragrances but is especially strong in both MI and SMW. Since I already own SMW I don't think I'll buy this, as they're too similar to warrant the $200 pricetag. But an exceptional fragrance nevertheless!

Baïmé by Maître Parfumeur et Gantier

Fantastic. I don't think I've ever come across something so unique before. At first, the herbs seem foreign and unusual, but in no time you will feel surrounded in this amazing garden. Green herbs with fresh air and the sun beating down on you, warming your cool skin - this is the feeling I get. It's fresh like a spring morning and warm like an exotic island at the same time. Very, very special. And I find that I enjoy it more and more each time I wear it. It's probably more suited for formal events, just because it's so beautiful that it could probably be spoiled by wearing it with jeans. It's not quite light, but it's not heavy either. It has a presence but not a musky, room filling obnoxious type of presence; it has great sillage that will get noticed as you pass by. My favorite MPG that I've come across so far. It's not super long lasting, but long enough to not bother me. I get around 7 hours out of it. I have no idea why one of the reviewers called it "bug spray", I see nothing at all in this fragrance that's reminiscent of bug spray. I bought a sample on eBay and now I'm going to buy a bottle. It's really fantastic!! Give it a try!

Gap Blue No. 655 Him by Gap

It's not bad. I used to really, really like it and now I think it's just ok. Nothing terribly special, definately smells like something that would sell. Kind of a pungent, slightly woody young man's cologne.

13 August, 2005

Kouros by Yves Saint Laurent

My mother used to sell fragrance at a department store (which at the time of this incident didn't carry YSL.) A new employee came to work and she asked him to please go home and take a shower. He was repremanded for "poor hygeine". Later that day, in a discussion with him, she found out that he didn't have poor hygeine at all - he was wearing Kouros.
    This one smells really, really terrible. And obviously has a hint of body odor.

13 June, 2005

Silver Mountain Water by Creed

This is unlike anything you've ever smelt before. It is positively beautiful - the tea is definately the note that gets noticed, but there are notes around it that almost seem to pad it, like the cream and honey for a perfect cup of tea. Not spicy at all, smooth but not overly smooth like too many mainstream fragrances, sweet but not too overly sweet that it gives you a headache, this truly is a masterpiece.
    It's 9:30 now, I put SMW on at around 1:00, and it's still there. I agree with some other reviewers that it's probably enjoyed more by the person wearing it than the people around them. It stays very close to the skin, which I think is intended.
    This scent is so seductive that the occasional whiff is the desired effect, instead of an overwhelming, room-filling obnoxious scent. But once someone detects it on you, they're anxious to hang around you long enough to get another luxurious sniff.

10th June, 2005

Shalimar by Guerlain

This is one of the most beautiful woomen's fragrances ever made. A true masterpiece.
    Sniffing it brings back so many memories of my childhood, my mother knows it's my favorite so she saves it for special occasions. She always wears it on my birthday :)
    Truly gorgeous. Probably best for someone over 30, but I would truly appreciate a younger girl who could pull off Shalimar.

09 June, 2005

Zegna by Ermenegildo Zegna

I'd also like to say that I thought Essenza di Zegna was MUCH, MUCH better.

03 June, 2005

Happy for Men by Clinique

It's my most worn fragrance, for sure - but 9 times out of 10 I layer it with something else. At opening, it's very sharp and somewhat spicy, but then after about 2 hours it mellows down into the most delicious citrus I've ever tried. It becomes so smooth and sensual that you just want to lick your wrists. Reminds me of vacation at the beach as a child. Only downside is that the longevity is really poor unless you layer it with something else, or keep refreshing. It will stay on your pulse points for at least 8 hours, but it doesn't project very much (unless you're overheating) after about 2-3 hours.

03 June, 2005