Reviews by renperd

renperd's avatar
    renperd
    South Africa South Africa

Sécrétions Magnifiques by Etat Libre d'Orange

This really sticks in my throat the first few minutes, but after a short while I begin getting the coconut that totally agrees with me. I choose to smell beyond the nasty notes that are allegedly floating around in this potion. Instead I focus on trying to get the sandalwood, opoponax and iris. Soon I'll be ordering 50ml and wear the hell out of it.

04 December, 2013

The Smell of Weather Turning by Gorilla Perfume

Strong Lapsang Souchong tea, over-brewed and over-smoked to the point where it's well-nigh unwearable. Interesting to sniff the sample vial every now and then, but on my skin it will soon outstay its welcome. Perhaps the fact that years ago I over-indulged in lapsang souchong is limiting my enjoyment and tolerance.

23 September, 2012

Vraie Blonde by Etat Libre d'Orange

This makes me heave. I think it's the peach spiked with aldehydes. If Sécrétions Magnifique smells remotely like this I'm going to vomit tomorrow because that will be when I'm picking up my sample at the post office.

15 August, 2012

Jako by Lagerfeld

A perfumer's organ's worth of notes that in the end don't amount to much. Jako is thin and über-synthetic in the conventional Lagerfeld style. A queer, medicinal plum note dominates, taking a powdery nose-dive towards the end. I wore this briefly in the 90s but soon got over the initial interest triggered by that very same plum. Jako made me feel even cheaper than I already am. No massive loss should it have been discontinued.

31st March, 2012

Jungle L'Éléphant by Kenzo

This is one of the most potent animals out there. Dare to overspray and it will trample you to a sorry pulp. To me it's linear with nuclear fallout parading as sillage and a halflife measured in weeks. It's spice mecca. It's Coco's streetwalking elder sister who refuses to retire. Enjoy.

23 March, 2010

The Dreamer by Versace

Top Notes
    Junk Gin Juniper, Laboratory Lily .
    Middle Notes
    Invented Iris .
    Base Notes
    Test Tube Tobacco, Alleged Amber, Tacky Tarragon

Just as cheap as my alliteration, but pleasant for the price.

02 December, 2009

Silver Black / Onyx by Azzaro

The cardamom that dominates in Onyx reminds me of Kiss Him. The latter is milder though, with less overall depth. You get what you pay for, I guess. The other note that I pick up clearly in Onyx is the anise. Onyx is going to be one of those perfumes I reach for when I can't make up my mind about what to wear, and when I'm not in the mood for making a statement. It's neither a comfort scent nor very unique. However, I think the quality is good and the formulation solid. It's a firm thumbs up here, provided you apply lightly since it packs quite a punch.

12 November, 2009 (Last Edited: 21st March, 2010)

Habanita by Molinard

The EDT is very hard-core. Rock-hard. Unrefined. I can't believe people call it soft and smooth. I get the vanilla, which is sweet enough. But then there's the nasty bite of the vetiver. I don't really smell the tobacco mentioned by others. This perfume, IMO, is only wearable when sprayed no higher than one's stomach. And then only just. Good stuff nevertheless, if you want to push the limits, and don't mind the feverish, systemic irritation that even one spray can cause.

28 October, 2009 (Last Edited: 08 August, 2012)

Black XS by Paco Rabanne

This is a highly synthetic, screechy, jarring concoction that seldom fails to hit my sinuses with a fistful of ice picks. The lack of depth contributes to the sharpness that it scrapes my nerves with. It almost triggers a gag reflex.I've been wanting to like it for years, making all sorts of overtures from time to time, but we just don't click. I think in this case there's just TOO MUCH CHEMISTRY. More is less sort of thing...

23 September, 2009 (Last Edited: 13 May, 2013)

Kiss Him by KISS

Cumin is indeed the culprit here, but I thought it was OK for the money. I wouldn't associate it with sweat and armpits and other stuffy areas. It's got something 80s about it, but not that heavy, with the oakmoss missing. I'd buy it again for US$10, no problem.

01st September, 2009

Guerlain Homme by Guerlain

Bulgari's Eau Parfumée au Thé Vert is already in my fridge (150ml of it!), so there's no need to get a bottle of Guerlain Homme. Sure, there're some differences, but these two resemble each other too closely to warrant a purchase if one already has either. Eau Parfumée au Thé Vert is fresher and drier, and I suspect more distinguished and of higher quality. Hellena did a better job than Waßer. Full stop.

23 May, 2009

Antidote by Viktor & Rolf

It's OK, but smells too much like too many other perfumes. I already have Prada Amber pour Homme (which I seldom wear), so I won't be buying Antidote.

10th May, 2009

Eau Parfumée au Thé Rouge by Bulgari

Pinkmimosa hit the nail on the head with calling this 'pure tea party'. This is what I thought entering a colleague's office after he had let loose spraying Au Thé Rouge. It was as if there were a huge pot of rooibos simmering on a burner. Very homely, comforting and unique. I do get some fig and other sweet fruit wearing it, but on others that teapot smell really makes an impression. Clearly not everybody's cuppa as the plummeting price on eBay may indicate, but for me thumbs way up.

09 May, 2009

Dune pour Homme by Christian Dior

There's a top note in there that never stops fascinating me. But then there's something so sour it makes my teeth blunt. And this sour, very dry wood type note doesn't give up. How often would one be inclined to wear a scent just for a top note? I'll give it another try in stifling hot weather just to see if there's something else to enjoy, lurking deep inside, hybernating. Thumbs up just for one note and that overall Dune smells less synthetic than some other fresh/marine/ozonic perfumes.

03 February, 2009

Polo by Ralph Lauren

My goodness, this is such a hugely excellent cologne. Beautifully blended and laden with notes. I've just sprayed it after about 15 years and it almost brought tears to my eyes, jolting me back to the day, back to the memories. Polo Green is one of those that you don't dare smell close to the skin. Give it time to settle and evolve, revealing its kind heart, reminding you of its presence throughout the day. Even the bottle with its smooth lines feels just right. An undisputed American classic!

22 October, 2008

Flowerbomb by Viktor & Rolf

Every afternoon in a local gym a ripped, rich, middle-aged estate agent with loads of attitude struts her stuff in a cloud of Flower Bomb, in the firm belief that she's da bomb. This cloud to me reeks of grainy, unclean patchouli on wilted flowers. Not at all objectionable, but perhaps a bit too much in a semi-crowded gym where ventilation can be an issue from time to time. All this doesn't mean to say that I won't be testing it on myself soon, make NO mistake...

21st October, 2008

Kelly Calèche by Hermès

Right off the top I got a load of beeswax and honey. Later on it was still there, but drier with some dry leather. It's interesting and good for when you're not in die mood for sweet. I doubt if I'd buy it though. It's not friendly enough for me. It cracks the whip too much, especially after an hour or two.

18 October, 2008

Good Life by Davidoff

Fig to Davidoff for concocting this. No wonder it's going for rancid peanuts these days. Oh for fox's sakes, it was one of the few fumes up to date that I couldn't stand one bit. To this day I don't know why I ever bought it. I love figs, but that relentless fig tree leaf was hugely unpleasant. If you're thinking of buying it, my advice would be to get a life please!

16 October, 2008

Spellbound by Estée Lauder

Spellbound grabbed my attention with a vengeance when I began exploring Lauder fragrances. The first thing I thought was 'prostitute'. Streetwalker's juice. Amazing stuff that pulled me closer and pushed me away with equal intensity. I wonder how this would smell on a man, and what people would think of a guy reeking of Spellbound if they don't recognise the perfume. Intriguing, and the vulgar power of it is beyond ostentatious. So brazen that I can hardly think of a suitable situation whence it could wear one. Because wear you it will, unless you're much larger than life. Perhaps a fancy dress going as our whore?

15 October, 2008

Magnifique by Lancôme

It reminded me strongly of Escada's Magnetism pour Homme. Not magnificent in the least, especially not on an elegant woman.

09 October, 2008

Fahrenheit by Christian Dior

Smells the same as in the 80s. Goes on sweet with the honeysuckle in the forefront of the charge. Lasts long. Powerful sillage. Never cloying. Garners compliments. Unique smell. I don't associate it with fuel unless I put my nose too close to a sprayed patch of skin. Long in the tooth but not at all dated; nothing 'old man' about it. Excellent bottle and spray mechanism. Have seldom been without a 100ml the past ten years.

09 October, 2008

Cool Water Woman by Davidoff

This smells aggressive and sharp. The perception it creates is that the wearer is pushy. Not attractive at all with all that sour fruit and ozone. I'd give it a wide berth.

18 September, 2008

M7 by Yves Saint Laurent

Far too much of an excellent thing for me. Hit the trigger more than once and you're most probably guilty of overkill. I like to take M7 to bed, but wearing it by day proves to be too much for me. Almost too rich and relentless, but without the sillage that some people seem to detect. It will take me an æon to work my way through my 100ml bottle.

12 September, 2008

Magnetism for Men by Escada

They really pulled out all the stops making this one. All the stops on the petrochemicals, i.e. Don't smell it up close or you'll get a blast of synthetic oiliness between the eyes. Otherwise Magnetism has OK sillage and can be considered sexy on the right person. Quite possibly female person IMO. I wear it about once a semester, and wish I detected it on others more. Very informal and even playful.

08 September, 2008

cK be by Calvin Klein

My goodness, how I used to pump the hell out of the trigger of my 200ml bottle in a vain attempt to get some sort of spark or kick or character out of this perfume. But to no avail. No sillage to speak of, and longevity measured in minutes. Quite linear with a safe, pleasant, kind, darling white musk from head to toe. Endearing, but just so damn flát. And now I'm considering buying another bottle to take me back to the 90s. Crazy!

08 September, 2008 (Last Edited: 13 September, 2009)

Laguna by Salvador Dali

All I get from this brew is a thick brine. It's so salty I can literally TASTE it. This juice is more annoying than its male counterpart and it comes in a fittingly gaudy bottle inside a horribly cheap box. Like all Dalis I know, it essentially smells cheap. If it were $1 more expensive, it would've been a major rip-off. Come to think of it, it probably is a rip-off at any price. I seldom give a thumbs down, but here goes...

23 August, 2008

One Man Show by Jacques Bogart

Man, this is so harsh with a sparkling bitterness that takes a long time to give way to some woody sweetness in the drydown. After about three hours One Man Show smells rather good and much smoother and friendlier than the initial olfactory assault. Wear it for the hell of it! That is, IF you have a pair... It's an anti-scent in today's context.

22 August, 2008

Bal à Versailles by Jean Desprez

This Bal has been sending my olfactory bulb into a flat spin ever since I first sprayed it from a blind bought 100ml bottle. It pushes me away, draws me back closer, leaves me cold, makes me sniff my arm again and again. I want to like it so badly, and sometimes I do, but in the end it's just too damn dry. Interesting with the civet, flowers, sandalwood and all, but dry as bone. Perhaps I'll try it one more time tomorrow.

12 August, 2008

B*Men by Thierry Mugler

This is right up my alley: great heavy butch bottle, good spray mechanism, high quality juice, good longevity and sillage, doesn't get cloying and too caramel like A*Men, unique enough, positive feedback, etc. And the price is very attractive at the moment. I don't know why it's not more popular. Oh, a caveat (rare coming from me): be very careful not to OD on this one - it will spoil things a bit. Quite a bit.

11th August, 2008

Allure Sensuelle by Chanel

Ladies love the EDP on me. The Sensuelle drydown reminds me of Dior's Fahrenheit 32 (they seem to have the same French vanilla note), but the latter may leave a more pronounced wake. Sensuelle is high quality stuff, but if you don't want to pay an arm and a leg, go for 32 instead.

07 August, 2008