Reviews by whitelace

whitelace's avatar
    whitelace

Youth Dew Amber Nude by Estée Lauder

Man, this is one beautiful fragrance! From the first whiff I'm transported into a yummy trance. I keep sniffing my wrists and clothes! I'm not experienced enough to talk tech, but I'll try to give my opinion. I never liked spicy fragrances like Cinnabar and even Youth Dew before. I couldn't deal with them but that was years ago. Even the powerhouses like Guerlain's Mitsouko and Shalimar put me off. Lately, though, I 'get' them. YDAN is one that I 'get', and it's glorious. The trick for me with these rich fragrances is applying behind my knees and wrists and well away from my nose. Then I let it waft up and can appreciate its beauty. The tea, grapefruit, and spice creates an intoxicatingly beautiful opening. It puts a smile on my face and I enjoy it right through the floral notes to the gorgeous amber base. This is one of those heavy-hitters like Giorgio that I only wear at home. On my days off I can enjoy myself without offending anyone. I'm not saying that it should only be worn at home, but that's the way I enjoy it and can apply as much as I want. I may even give Youth Dew another try. I wouldn't describe this as dated, or Shalimar would have to be thrown into that category imo. YDAN holds its own. It was a blind buy and is one of my must-have winter staples. Love it.

10th January, 2015 (Last Edited: 18th January, 2015)

Princess by Vera Wang

My signature fragrance. I'm on my fourth big bottle. This is a sweet, gourmand fragrance that is very subtle and soft on me. I get no fruity notes at all. I think the chocolate notes tone down the sweetness. It's nothing like Pink Sugar. At work, wearing scent is discouraged but I use a little because I work in an area mostly on my own. I get compliments all the time wearing this. It just works with my chemistry.

07th January, 2015

Poison by Christian Dior

This is one giant of a fragrance, and purple with a capital 'P'. Peppery sweet plum for starters, then it's a wallop of heady florals which include carnation, tuberose and jasmine; amber, sandalwood & vanilla are some base notes. Dark, sweet, spicy, and rich. Because of its enormous sillage and longevity, I'd caution to keep that in mind when choosing to wear this. I was lucky enough to acquire some vintage parfum. It's simply glorious. When the mood strikes, I apply a couple drops and might keep all the enjoyment and appreciation to myself. Poison will broadcast itself for miles.

24th July, 2011

In Control Curious by Britney Spears

Straight to the creme brulee and middle notes, I couldn't detect the loquat fruit at all. That being said, I found the scent soft, rich and creamy. I love it. I'm giving it a neutral though because the spray mechanism is ineffective and awkward to use. I have to open the bottle & dab. The bottle is a pretty dresser decoration.

18th July, 2011