Reviews

Reviews by whitelace

Terracotta Voile d'Ete by Guerlain

With my chemistry, this is a light, sweet carnation from beginning to end, which is what I was looking for. This is the loveliest carnation fragrance I've tried. And like another reviewer said, it's sweet, not spicy. Full bottle-worthy for me.
23rd February, 2015

Nahéma by Guerlain

This one just didn't work with my chemistry. Or whatever. For at least an hour at first blast I got a screechy note of pencil lead, strong! After that the rose finally emerged, but I didn't like the interpretation at all, and I love roses. It was a skinscent for me so I could barely detect it a couple hours later. I eagerly awaited the vanilla but even that was disappointing; its richness spoiled. In the end, I really don't have anything good to say about it.
10th February, 2015 (last edited: 23rd February, 2015)

Youth Dew Amber Nude by Estée Lauder

Man, this is one beautiful fragrance! From the first whiff I'm transported into a yummy trance. I keep sniffing my wrists and clothes! I'm not experienced enough to talk tech, but I'll try to give my opinion. I never liked spicy fragrances like Cinnabar and even Youth Dew before. I couldn't deal with them but that was years ago. Even the powerhouses like Guerlain's Mitsouko and Shalimar put me off. Lately, though, I 'get' them. YDAN is one that I 'get', and it's glorious. The trick for me with these rich fragrances is applying behind my knees and wrists and well away from my nose. Then I let it waft up and can appreciate its beauty. The tea, grapefruit, and spice creates an intoxicatingly beautiful opening. It puts a smile on my face and I enjoy it right through the floral notes to the gorgeous amber base. This is one of those heavy-hitters like Giorgio that I only wear at home. On my days off I can enjoy myself without offending anyone. I'm not saying that it should only be worn at home, but that's the way I enjoy it and can apply as much as I want. I may even give Youth Dew another try. I wouldn't describe this as dated, or Shalimar would have to be thrown into that category imo. YDAN holds its own. It was a blind buy and is one of my must-have winter staples. Love it.
10th January, 2015 (last edited: 18th January, 2015)

Princess by Vera Wang

My signature fragrance. I'm on my fourth big bottle. This is a somewhat sweet gourmand fragrance that is very soft on me. The fruity notes are noticeable yet subtle, and the chocolate note mellows out the sweetness. I get so many compliments wearing this. It just works with my chemistry, and I'm always sniffing my wrists, I love it that much.
07th January, 2015 (last edited: 08th February, 2015)

Poison by Christian Dior

This is one giant of a fragrance, and purple with a capital 'P'. Peppery sweet plum for starters, then it's a wallop of heady florals which include carnation, tuberose and jasmine; amber, sandalwood & vanilla are some base notes. Dark, sweet, spicy, and rich. Because of its enormous sillage and longevity, I'd caution to keep that in mind when choosing to wear this. I was lucky enough to acquire some vintage parfum. It's simply glorious. When the mood strikes, I apply a couple drops and might keep all the enjoyment and appreciation to myself. Poison will broadcast itself for miles.
24th July, 2011

In Control Curious by Britney Spears

Straight to the creme brulee and middle notes, I couldn't detect the loquat fruit at all. That being said, I found the scent soft, rich and creamy. I love it. I'm giving it a neutral though because the spray mechanism is ineffective and awkward to use. I have to open the bottle & dab. The bottle is a pretty dresser decoration.
18th July, 2011

Curious by Britney Spears

White floral? It started off with a very sweet, almost candy-like floral swirl. The sweetness overpowered the floral, and I couldn't make out any distinct notes. Thankfully the magnolia appeared soon, and that part was a bit pleasant. I too was stubborn about trying a celebrity's fragrance. I tried this because I love Fantasy, but I won't try any other celebrity line. Now I do like my fragrances sweet (including floral ones) and of the gourmand variety, but Curious was a mishmash, with the sweet factor always in the forefront. I didn't find it at all fresh. The sillage and longevity were strong, but this isn't a keeper. It just wasn't pleasant.
27th May, 2010