Reviews by richie23

Euphoria by Calvin Klein

I associate Calvin Klein with cheap, toxic chemicals. Eternity for women was found to contain a huge percentage of deadly chemicals under its ingredient "parfum". Wow, that's sexy! And now we have Euphoria, a name which conjures up the smell of wild herbs, lotus blossoms, ginger, spices. But here we have only synthetic ingredients. This fragrance is hardly worth reviewing. All Ck's and Ralph Lauren's fragrances seem more about marketing and hype than substance. A fragrance for the masses. Garbage.

02 December, 2005

Eau Illuminee by Delrae

A refined fragrance that nonetheless makes you want to run through a field and roll around in the hay. Absolutely stunning! I would call its evolution from first spritz to drydown "protean" not only because of the subtle nuances that surface throughout the development but also because of its "aristocratic" character. It is equally at ease with comedy or high drama: not a static blend.

I first was introduced to this fragrance by a saleslady at Joseph in Memphis. She informed me that Eau Illuminee was a unisex fragrance. Though it isn't officially "unisex", I would agree with the assessment. It is interesting also to note that many of the negative reviews online call this fragrance excessively "masculine".

Though it may seem an aggressive blend, I would call it more extroverted or pronounced. It definitely makes a statement. The first spritz reveals lush bergamot and basil, and the warm center includes french lavender and "wild aromatic herbs". The herbs, not individually named, are what to my mind gives the fragrance its unique punch. They persist almost as a base, even though orris, tonka, oakmoss and vanilla are officially in the drydown. These ingredients, however, never turn creamy or lush but rather remain very vibrant and seem to constantly intermingle with the herbs. Really an exceptional blend. I would recommend it highly to guys (I'm a 24-year old one that wears this myself) because its powerful and makes a statement. I would also recommend it to those women who wear fragrance for themselves first and not necessarily for others. This is one to wear proudly. It's pricey (125 for 50 ml EDP) but worth it. Authentic.

Vétiver Extraordinaire by Editions de Parfums Frederic Malle

This gem is an unusually potent blend. The fragrance consists of about 25 percent Vetiver, but it smells surprisingly robust and clean. A very unique scent that smells unlike any other vetiver scent out there. There are more beautiful Vetivers (like, for instance, Racine by MPG), but this one is incredibly pronounced and raw. I unreservedly recommend this to gents of all ages.

The only downside to this line is the price (160 for a 100ml EDT of this particular one), but the Malle line truly does sparkle in its originality amidst a sea of blah. The fragrance industry, as with most modern industries, is today out of control and lacking authenticity. With such lines as Parfums DelRae and Editions de Parfums Frederic Malle, authenticity is thankfully making a comeback. You can purchase Editions de Parfums Frederic Malle in the US exclusively at Barney's.

Route du Vétiver by Maître Parfumeur et Gantier

I am trying hard to come to terms with this fragrance. It was recommended to me at Aedes in New York, but at first I was nothing if not repulsed. My first impression was, "Yuck, how nauseating!" Still, after reading about RTV, I knew there was something I just wasn't getting.

I have actually been wearing this every day for about four days. It is growing on me in the sense that it is no longer repulsive, yet it is also lacking in beauty. All art, of course, is not beautiful. It is meant rather to imitate life while telling us something of it. And so comes the question, "What does this fragrance seek to say?" It seems to hint at wild, remote regions: jungles, swamps, forests...It conjures up the smell of moldy, wet soil hidden from the light of the sun. A cold, damp, and eerie blend, hinting of dark passions. The smell of slowly rotting herbs mixed with stagnant water and dank air. This fragrance "lurks" more than develops.

Route du Vetiver is about the roads that lead to pathways that lead to endless unexplored forests hidden beneath the boundless sky: a vast underworld of turbulent, dark, and lurking dangers hidden in the stinking soil of the earth.

Racine by Maître Parfumeur et Gantier

One reviewer noted the "conventional" nature of this scent. Still, originality is of little importance here. This fragrance is perfection in a bottle- a blend rounded off with aplomb. I wouldn't call it arrogant, just perfectionist. One of the better MPG fragrances I've tried so far. As for Route de Vetiver, I'm still trying...and trying...

Angel Garden Of Stars - Peony Angel by Thierry Mugler

Especially impressed with this one. My favorite of the three. Smells a lot more like perfume of course, than the original angel. Still it is a wonderful addition to the line. The peony is soft and non-obtrusive, and the wonderful dry down is only partly reminiscent of the original Angel. It really is like a whole new fragrance but can still be worn very well with the Angel body cream.

Angel Garden Of Stars - The Lily Angel by Thierry Mugler

The new line is meant to reach out to new fans while giving something new to die-hard fans. This one, to me, smells the most like the original Angel. It's much louder than the other two, but in many ways makes more of a statement. If you like to make a statement with something floral, this would be the one to pick.

Angel Garden Of Stars - Violet Angel by Thierry Mugler

Violette was the one that everyone at the school loved the best (my fave was actually the peony). It's nice and definitely distinctive. All three are winners actually. This one is soft and enveloping. The peony is suggestive and subtle, and the lily is much louder than the other two, reminding one of the original.

Michael Kors / Michael by Michael Kors

A great fragrance if you like florals. I'd call this one a floral semi-oriental. For all ages, but probably I would recommend for thirty and forty-somethings.

Rosamor by Oscar de la Renta

Too rosy. Anything this obviously rosy isn't really the thing for today's market. I don't think this one will do too well. Still, it's pleasant enough. Nothing special. The original Oscar is a much deeper, richer fragrance.

Hummer by Hummer

Ok, Hummer shouldn't have made a fragrance. Fragrances that are sponsored by cars or celebrities are usually cheap, synthetic, and forgettable. Still, in all honesty, this one is not half bad. It smells quite nice and for a first scent, it is far better and less sweet than the usual Lucky You's or Curve's. Good for ages 15- 21.

Style In Play by Lacoste

Smells like plums... I get the sporty smell they are going for, but this one should definitely not be worn as an office or even casual scent. Really made for the gym.

Vetiver by Lorenzo Villoresi

When I first sampled this, I smelled only pepper. I thought--- disappointing. Then suddenly after about five minutes the fragrance warmed up into one of the classiest smells I've ever come across. Awesomely masculine and very refined, this one is LV at his best. The "subtle nuances that surface here and there", as noted by another reviewer, definitely put this fragrance on a much higher level than most. Awesomely intense and very warm, this vetiver simply cannot be rivaled.

Garofano by Lorenzo Villoresi

I think it's a great fragrance, very warm and subtle. It is definitely unisex, but this quality is only apparent after leaving it on the skin for about thirty minutes. Smells very old world and luscious. Would love to have this one piped through my house. Wearable by a man but probably better suited to a woman's chemistry. Still, a work of art in itself.

Yerbamate by Lorenzo Villoresi

This scent is definitely one of the better greens out there. It's not too clean, has a bit of a powdery hint, and also can be "smoky" at times. The tea notes are wonderful (especially the mate), and I notice the unusual note of hay (also in Cologne Bigarade- Frederic Malle). This one simply works. I would definitely agree with the "fields of paradise" image noted by another reviewer. Very otherworldly. A definite winner.

Baldessarini by Baldessarini

Smells a bit like a women's fragrance. Still it's classy, refined, and understated. I like the bitter citrus opening that dries down to sweet tobacco. The mint adds a soothing pleasant note. Very nice, but short on duration.

Lacoste pour Homme by Lacoste

Pleasant enough, but a very timid woodsy smell. Not bold enough for me. The market is flooded with average fragrances like this one.

Michael for Men by Michael Kors

I've grown to love this. The smell of pipe tobaccos mixed with other deep and dark notes. A wonderful fragrance and less loud than traditionally "masculine" fragrances of the same genre.

Messe de Minuit by Etro

I think it smells of burning wax, stone, and body odor. It's unwearable. Really I mean that. Maybe it could work to a showing of "The Rocky Horror Picture Show", but otherwise more of a cult fragrance. Interesting smell, but for a fragrance far too unpractical. Try Musc Ravageur by Malle. It has a bit of the candle wax smell at first, but instead of having an evil foul undertone its top notes rest on a warm base of amber and vanilla.

Lagerfeld Classic by Lagerfeld

A classic smell that evokes talc (which has now been linked to cancer). Still, it is a great powdery oriental fragrance with depth and a heavy (but not oppressive) presence. Smells miles better than Paul Sebastian (which is vile), Aramis, or funky Polo (Green).

Hugo by Hugo Boss

Someone said it smelled like "dirty socks". I think it just smells average. A fragrance that could of been good, but either stopped too short or went to far (with the number of ingredients). Not the best Boss fragrance.

Jean Paul Gaultier Classique by Jean Paul Gaultier

A very refined oriental floral for women. Still, it's almost too strong. Longevity is no issue at all here. Note that the body cream is made with Shiseido technology and is toning and fortifying for the skin. Many women actually prefer the body lotion to the edt or edp.

1000 by Jean Patou

I know it is a fine perfume, but it reminds me of Youth Dew and absolutely turns my stomach when I smell it. A classic that really smells like an old woman, but not necessarily an aristocratic one.

Joy by Jean Patou

Gorgeous- Black Bulgarian roses and Jasmine. I love this fragrance. Should be appreciated by women ages 20 to 100. A classic.

Organza Indécence by Givenchy

This scent evokes the dawn of civilization. It is like the earliest perfumes- a mix of vanilla, musks, and spices. There is no floral note in this fragrance. Beautiful, evocative, and even a bit loud. Very unique.

Z by Ermenegildo Zegna

When people tell me a fragrance is "clean and fresh", I usually surmise that I will dislike it or at least be ambivalent. Still, this one is a winner. It is not sweet, but rather clean, masculine, and sexy. I love the patchouli/ wood dry down. I think patchouli is the new trend note in men's fragrance, and this blend works quite well. BTW, the aftershave balm is very emollient. It's definitely one of the best on the market- contains zinc and other vitamins too. Definitely one of the better new fragrances.

True Star Men by Tommy Hilfiger

Good bottle. Great notes. A unique oriental-type fragrance full of eastern spices. Thank God it's not another citrus like the original. I think this one will do quite well. It's sophisticated and interesting from an aficionado's point of view but still not so bold as to offensive or hard to sell. This one is a definite winner.

Baldessarini Del Mar by Baldessarini

Del Mar sold very well when it first came out. Though I don't think the momentum will keep up, it is definitely part of a wider trend of using patchouli in men's fragrance. Patchouli is the ingredient of the times these days, and most men's fragrances seem to be making a point of it. The new Signature by Kenneth Cole has the same qualities as this one and a similar patchouli drydown. I like this one though. It's not too loud and manages to stay refined and understated without being overly "fresh". The cinammon note is pleasant. Overall a solid fragrance.

Beyond Paradise for Men by Estée Lauder

Smells like old watermelon candy and an overripe canteloupe. Fruity, sicky sweet- some might even say downright nasty. Another cheap edition to the Estee Lauder men's line. With better fragrances out there, it's hard to see why anyone would pick this fruity little monstrosity. Yuck. Totally gross.

Herrera Aqua by Carolina Herrera

Beautiful fragrance, nice dry down. Definite longevity issues are the only problem here. Otherwise a welcome complex scent in a wave of annoying citrus fragrances currently monsooning the market.