Reviews by anthonyrj

Terre d'Hermès by Hermès

What happened to my signature scent?

I LOVE this fragrance...well at least I did until my most recent purchase from Nordstrom. I first purchased TDH back in 2009 and it quickly became my signature scent...I couldn't get enough of it, so recently, when my last bottle was almost empty, I ordered another bottle (as I mentioned before, from Nordstrom...an authorized retailer). This is NOT the same Terre d'Hermes that I've been wearing for 4 years. Either I got a fake (which would shock me) or this has been reformulated to a mere whisp of the original fragrance. Anytime I put TDH on before, I'd always sneeze after the initial spray because the juice was just that strong - a trade-off I was willing to make to have a fragrance that would simply NEVER wear off. I could smell this fragrance on myself all day long and still catch whiffs after showering. This new stuff I can barely smell right out of the bottle (okay, so that's a bit of an overstatment, but it is a seriously weaker fragrance). Don't get me wrong, it still smells good, but not only has it lost some of it's power, it's also lost some of it's depth (I'm not getting that minerally/flinty note I love and the vetiver in the drydown seems more...I'm not sure the word, but more 'watery'. I'm devastated...this was the first fragrance that I ever found that I loved enough to use as a signature scent (and I'm no young kid, so I'd been searching a while). Now it's back to the drawing board I guess. Suppose I'll either trade this for something else or sell it on eBay. It's a real shame.

Pros: Smells lovely
    Cons: Sillage, projection, longevity and depth have suffered in new formula

21st May, 2013

Muscs Koublaï Khän by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido

I went from detestation to adoration in one day on this one. When I first sampled this, I thought it smelled like the underwear of a guy who hadn't showered in a couple of days, had just finished working out and who thought he'd only farted. All of that's there, but it only lasts a few minutes on my skin before it turns into a marvelously natural and dirty rose and musk scent. I adore this stuff, and I never buy into the hype on fragrances, but for me this one is great. I don't know how some of the other reviewers are not smelling the nasty, but if you are interested in this frag I suggest that you err on the side of caution and trust me when I tell you that the nasty is indeed present in this scent... Definitely a 'try before you buy' frag as I suspect most will not like this one. Not sure that it's worth the price, but that's probably just me because I think that about a great many fragrances. Lovely on clothes; yes I spray frags on my clothes...bite me.

12 June, 2011 (Last Edited: 14 June, 2011)

Set Sail St. Barts for Men by Tommy Bahama

Perhaps it's because I've spent so much time in Latin America, but I love this scent! Whenever I wear it, it transports me to the beaches of Boca Chica, DR, Boca Brava, Panama or maybe Veracruz, MX.

I get okay longevity with this scent. The opening only lasts 30 min at most on me, but the middle and drydown go for maybe 4 hours (after which time I usually re-apply).

It opens with quite a natural lime which transitions into a sweet/salty alcohol smell (the tequila many have mentioned before?). There is a hint of coconut to my nose and a sweetness as the fragrance progresses. The lime never really goes away, but certainly fades into the background as the perfume dries down. Strangely enough, for me there is something in the middle and base that reminds me of Estee Lauder's Pleasures...not sure what it is or if anyone else is getting that.

Though I would recommend this as a summer scent, here is a fragrance that can transport you to the tropics anytime, so next time you're stuck in your New York studio apartment in winter and want a break, just apply a few spritzes of this to be whisked away in an instant.

16 January, 2011