Reviews by Kalindi

Kalindi's avatar
    Kalindi

Un Jardin Après La Mousson by Hermès

I am surprised to read so many negatives for this scent that manages to be fresh yet elegant, peppery yet soft, pretty without cloying sweetness. Offering a bit more heft and longevity than Ellena's earlier Jardins, Apres La Mousson chases away the Ohio summer heat and humidity blues like nothing else for me since Roucel's Missoni. Very very nice, if not earth-shattering: I will look to invest in a full bottle ASAP.

15 July, 2012

Madison Square Park by Bond No. 9

I smell a pleasant Tommy Girl plus Lola by Marc Jacobs hybrid -- which is about as exciting as it sounds. Good fizzy fun for Spring, but for the Bond No. 9 price, no thanks! I can spritz my Tommy, or any number of things I already own (Fresh Index, Sugar Blossom, Dolly Girl) for the cheery effect of this. . . . The bottle is darn cute, but even that seems to be a play on Lola with that crazy-fun plastic flower topper.

Chinatown remains my only (and beloved) Bond purchase, one of my personal top 5.

01st May, 2011 (Last Edited: 15 May, 2011)

Patchouli Patch by L'Artisan Parfumeur

Fellow favorable reviewers have done this lovely scent justice. Like most of you I do not love patchouli on its own -- but this is a beautiful, softly elegant blend of earthy patchouli, soaring immortelle, and rosy florals. Drydown is supersoft and very pretty. On a trip to Southern California last fall, Patchouli Patch made this Ohio girl feel Bohemian-hip, a little wild, bright and lively as the waves rolling up on Venice Beach. Wear it while the sun shines.

31st March, 2011

Diorella by Christian Dior

I am wearing Diorella from a Perfumed Court decant today and I do not know how vintage it is -- I read in Turin & Sanchez the newer version is dryer and more masculine. No idea which I am wearing but I truly love it. A year ago, smelling it and Odalisque, the two reminded me a little of each other, but now I can say I prefer Diorella to the creamy, overripeness of Odalisque. (By the way, in the Parfums de Nicolai line, my fave is Le Temps -- which is also somewhat similar to Diroella in its greenness.) Diorella is a classy, old-fashioned-ish scent that satisfies my need to smell like a grown-up -- but it's also edgy, modern enough in its sensibilities that I don't think "Grandma's dressing table" when I smell it. I will be saving up for a whole bottle of this! "Bohemian chic" indeed (T & S). Very French, feminine and very lovely.

21st February, 2011

Chinatown by Bond No. 9

Love this. Love the huge girliness of it, a flamboyant marvel. A little goes a long way, but the drydown always surprises with its softness and warmth (to me the complete drydown smells lightly floral). I am saving for a whole bottle, having gone through two 5ml decants. The Ladies of The Perfumed Court get my kudos for sending me an empty bottle I requested -- but I will soon buy a bottle of my own, and give my empty bottle to a friend who collects.

This one is always a pick up, and is as distinctive as any scent in history.

29 January, 2011 (Last Edited: 01st February, 2011)

No. 18 by Chanel

Must agree with Hilaire and Off-Scenter (beautiful writing, guys!) on this one. No. 18 is simple and clearly fabulous. I love the Turn-Sanchez book which characterizes this one as "strange and spare," if memory serves. It's evocative, fresh, lovely, simple. Pungent yet not intrusive; floral but not cloying; feminine but not sweet. I think it must be great on a guy, too. Classy, soft, wonderful, different. The main notes somehow sing in a three-level melody , that becomes one unique strand, not a balanced harmony of discernible notes. Yet the compositional parts are clear. How can it be?

29 January, 2011

Fleurs de Nuit by Badgley Mischka

Fleur de Nuit is indeed misnamed, hardly the moonlit Indian garden scent of its press hype -- but the lush, tropical warmth it filled me with in the middle of winter, plus the stunning beauty of the bottle, were enough to sway me last January. It's a lovely sheer floral, simple, elegant, classy and far less ballsy than the original Badgley Mischka scent (which I love). Still, now and then FdN just hits the spot. I agree with an_oud_girl's review that the scent should be lavishly applied; for a summer garden party it imparts a beach mood. Quite lovely, but not earth shattering in any way. (The bottle, on the other hand, is the most fabulous one I own!)

09 May, 2010

Bois de Violette by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido

I love this richly transparent, earthy yet ethereal scent. It has a boozy warmth but also a rainy, sheer coolness. Quite sexy and strange.

Does anyone besides me find this almost indistinguishable from the original Feminite du Bois (Shiseido's), after complete drydown? --I find them so similar. The Feminite is more woody and sharply cedar when it's first sprayed, but after about an hour I can't tell them (much) apart. Maybe the Feminite is more soapy and the Bois more boozy. . . . Love them both, and am intrigued at how much more alike these two are than the Feminite is to the other "Bois" scents of Lutens.

I find this a scent that I love year-round. In Ohio's humid summertime, BdV is like rich incense evoking Morocco's dry heat (which I would welcome about now). In fall, I think of rain and wet leaves. In winter, it's a richly woven blanket of spice. In spring, I think of lovely new violet flowers.

27 April, 2010 (Last Edited: 29 July, 2011)