Reviews by rikspector

Pino Silvestre by Silvestre

I have a few different pine based scents in my collection,including the Silvestre Extreme.

This is a favorite.LIke so many others, one has to be in the mood to use it,having said that,

I guess the outdoors has called to me often.

Definitely a great budget cologne.

18 July, 2008

Green Jeans by Versace

I felt this was a very comfortable pine scent,I especially like the warm notes , and the

transitions to the basenotes were very pleasant.

I have a little left and am sorry to see it has been discontinued.

18 July, 2008

Jicky by Guerlain

There is no overwhelming note in this melange of scents.

The opening features the citrus and lavendar,while the second act brings forth the rose and vetiver.

Eventually the solid closing notes emerge.

This is not a signature scent,but rather one for any moment. Truly a classic.

Égoïste / L'Égoïste by Chanel

Yes the Robitussin cough syrup caught me off guard,but quickly faded to the point
    that I felt there was nothing else thre.

Then thr ose notes emerged and slowly blended with the vanilla /sandalwood base.

Get passed the opening and you have a soft elegant cologne for that special event.

Alpona by Caron

Definitely bursts on to the scene with a full bodied orage oakmoss note.

I seemed to bypass the middle notes and quite early in the drydown

the musk with its spicyness emerged.

This is indeed androgynous in a edgy way.

I use it anytime.

French Lover / Bois d'Orage by Editions de Parfums Frederic Malle

nthny nailed it! Green ..Resinous ..Dark. Yes ,it could be a relative of Yatagan..

a really laid back relative..someone who has secrets to hide but can't...There's

a dirty ,I mean Earth dirty side to this fragrance..truly erotic.

I've only tried a decant but,this one is a definite..Gimme.

Black Vetyver Café by Jo Malone

Immediately the black coffee note is eviden,t smooth and creamy with sugar.

Lip smacking good.

Unfortunately ,after a very short time it begns to fade releasing the Vetyver.

It isn,t long lasting,but maybe in cool weather(it,s 90 F. this evening) it would behave
    differently.

L'Heure Bleue by Guerlain

Warm spicy Neroli top notes,a mix of flowers at dusk,the heat of the day is passed ,but the mix of scents lingers in the darkening sky.

The soft vanilla base is a perfect blanket for these flowers to rest upon.

It may be stuck in its time,but that time is now .

Uomo by Lorenzo Villoresi

Uomo is a very comfortable fragrance .The sweet and spicey notes

complement each other and the the woodsy warm finish lasts and lasts.

A wonderful warm weather juice which I intend to acquire post haste.

06 June, 2008 (Last Edited: 15 June, 2008)

Monsieur Musk by Dana

Green and fresh with a clean edgy musk.
    The musk is subtle but adds a distinct edgy note ..

Cheap yes,but comfortable.A little goes a long way.

02 June, 2008

Knize Ten by Knize

Ah..Knize Ten. Back in the sixties and my youth, I discovered the Caswell-Massey catalog.

Full of old black and white etchings ..humorous and compelling they led me to Knize Ten.

I was intrigued and so I tried it.

I didn't know what to think,my olfactory palette was unsophisticated but I remember well the blend of leathery spice.

Many years passed and today I still have a bottle of Knize in my collection.

Nothing smells like Ten..it is what it is and one may have a Love -Hate relationship with it.

Foetidus is quite correct,applied gently it mantains a sophistication that defies age.

I too,have layered different colognes....Caswell-masseys patchouli makes a nice base for experimentation, but Knize alone and layered is a true king.

28 May, 2008

Burberry London for Men by Burberry

The top is Spark like with the Lavender and cinnamon predominant.

The pepper then leads us into a warm bodied Mimosa.

Five minutes into the scent it starts to fade a bit and eventually you are left with a rich mix of sweet,spicy and woody with touches of tobacco.

With its multi layered approach it is definitely not one dimensional.

Antartic (original) by Yves Rocher

The grapefruit and Lime emerge as top notes,then the amber and finally the Sandalwood base.

I like this scent and don't consider it cheap.

It has staying power without being overpowering.

Oh,by the way ,it's spelled Antartic not AntarCtic,so it doesn,t come up in the database search.

Though discontinued,you may still obtain it through diligent searching.

Andy Warhol for Men by Andy Warhol

I bought this one for the box and the bottle. Having said that,I found the balance between the Cardamom and the other notes pleasing but not overpowering.

Not a favorite of mine,but a nice change of pace for those places where subtlety is important.

Acqua di Selva by Visconti di Modrone

The opening notes are primarily pine with a touch of the old pinesole cleanser.

There are touches of Lavender and thyme which proceed into the middle notes.

Quite quickly it dries down to a much more subtle scent that hugs the skin.

Not really exciting but comfortable.

Yatagan is the best,in my book, for pine.

Eau de Tsar by Van Cleef & Arpels

This is a scent to try if your looking for a citrusy,grapefruit scent with a Sandalwood drydown.

A very comfortable Cologne for casual use any time day or night.

It won,t turn eyes,but it won,t wrinkle noses,either.

16 November, 2007

Yatagan by Caron

I had mixed feelings about Yatagan
    when I tried it for the first time.

Now,after a year ,its become my favorite
    "in your face" fragrance.

The Lavender/Pine top/middle notes linger on the skin.

Reminds me of the scent of the Pine Barrens(where I live) after a strong warm summer rain.

14 November, 2007

Kiehl's Original Musk by Kiehl's

This is not an "In your face", scent.

Musk may not be a top note ,but it is very evident along with the Orange /Rose.

Its dry down is pleasant, quiet and long lasting , the Sandalwood predominant.

I agree with Mark3861,people do seem more friendly, maybe it's the key to world peace?......not!

Inexpensive and very comfortable.

11th November, 2007

Romeo Gigli by Romeo Gigli

I well balanced spicy,citrus scent...smooth and long lasting.

I bought two bottles scent untried after reading your reviews and am very pleased.

Foetidus' review really said it all, but i wanted two add my two scents worth..:)

16 October, 2007

St Johns Island Spice by West Indies Bay Company

I've used their Bay Rum..It was almost out and then my wife and I went to the Columbus Flea Market in NJ. At a small table ,way in the back ,sat a little old lady. On the table were TWO 8 ounce bottles of St. Johns Island Spice Cologne.

I asked the price ..FIVE Dollars ,she said.

Well..how could I resist..I bought both for Ten .
    As soon as I arrived home ..opened one and tried it.

The combination of Bay Rum and spices was well balanced.
    It dried down to a comfortable long lasting scent.
    I put it on at 8AM next morning and I could still detect it the next day.

22 April, 2006 (Last Edited: 08 June, 2008)

Green Irish Tweed by Creed

I've always had mixed feelings about GIT. When I first tried it I wasn,t sure whether I really liked it, or not.
    On further experimentation, it has become a very comfortable versatile addition to my wardrobe.
    It's the drydown the clinched it for me.

Warm subtle...I just wish I had some suits to match the fragrance!.

22 April, 2006

Civet by Houbigant

A friend of mine said this was one of the best scents she ever had, nursed the bottle along ,but eventually it was gone.
    You can fins a few sites online offering it for about $100.
    It long discontinued by Houbigant but evry comment has been positive and it's hard to understand why it went away.
    I know this isn't a review of the perfume per se,but a relection on those scents which are gone, but not forgotten

22 April, 2006

Bowling Green by Geoffrey Beene

I compared it to GFT by Trumper and am somewhere in the middle between ramin and levente in regard to it's scent.
    It was one of the first colognes I purchased and find it useful day or evening.
    For a scent that is discontinued,it is still readily available on many websites, out of production or not.

23 March, 2006

GFT by Geo F Trumper

I finally got a bottle of GFT after having initially tried a small sample.
    I noticed similarities between it and Bowling Green. Both have strong citrusy top notes, but while GFT's is sharper,more like Lemons, Bowling Green's is sweeter with a heavier
    scent, possibly more toward orange.

It's the dry down that really emphasizes the differences, although they both become more subtle and sophisticated.
    Yes, there is something smooth and almost powdery,but it is more complex than Bowling Green.
    I find it too be quite long lasting,just not intense.
    A very comfortable scent indeed, and with a little web searching available from private sources.
    A worthy addition to anyones wardrobe.

23 March, 2006

Spezie by Lorenzo Villoresi

Possibly because I grew up on a farm and had a Herb garden,I look on the scents emanating from Spezie with
    nostalgia.
    I whole heartedly agree with j dubayahs evaluation, the spices are balanced by the sweet notes.
    A very comfortable scent.

04 January, 2006

Spanish Leather by Geo F Trumper

I didn't know what to expect when I tried Spanish Leather, the reviews were mixed. To my pleasnat surprise I found them a great guide.
    It is sweet and does have a pleasant, fresh soapiness..not at all overpowering.
    Has the elegance and subtle sophistication which is a
    keynote of Trumper.
    If there is a leather note it is well hidden unlike Caswell-Masseys Persian Leather.

04 January, 2006

A*Men / Angel Men by Thierry Mugler

Effective if used sparingly,if not.... well.
    It is NOT a signature scent, but blends well with with holiday season.

Cheers

21st December, 2005 (Last Edited: 08 June, 2008)