Reviews by odioustoilet

odioustoilet's avatar
    odioustoilet

Cédrat Enivrant by Atelier Cologne

For what Atelier scents costs I can see why some folks might be put off by this particular product; it is a simple one, a little too simple for the price range of Atelier fragrances.

You could put yuzu in front of me and tell me it's citron and I'd believe you, I'm not familiar with all the citric fruits. So I'm guessing that the main note I'm getting is citron/cedrat(?), it surely does not seem to be mint, vetiver or juniper berries. I think I've smelled White Citrus at Bath & Body Works before. That too I can see as comparable to this scent......another reason to pass on this.

It's just too simple and it also, to me, just comes a littlle too close to passing as feminine.

03rd April, 2015

Anvers by Ulrich Lang

Sorry, I just don't get them, I'm talking about the honey, bergamot, lime and floral notes. All I get is moss and leather notes that come together to give a smokey/incense aroma.

I do see the resemblance to Sung Homme, except this definitely does not have the ashtray note.

Not exactly unique or a head turner, to me.

Not dark enough to hold back for
    summer or spring application.

03rd April, 2015

Ungaro III by Ungaro

UNGARO III, it's listed as an AROMATIC, I guess what puts it in this category is the vodka.

I'm surprised that some people think of it as a cooler weather scent. It's airy, light, vodka-esque with a light rose in the background.

I can see why some might think of "bug spray" upon initial application. It eventually smooths out though and just stays airy and, to me, seems close to the skin.

I get a soft-pink-rose note in that background. Not feminine though, at least to me.

Summer or Spring, I will definitely be wearing this.

29th March, 2015

Royal Oud by Creed

I "tolerate" this, I see its maturity, smokiness, and smooth clean oud. I can see the top tier quality to it but upon the first few minutes after application I am reminded of the smell of clothing that just a day or two before was exposed to smoke.

Oud is not my thing but I think it plays a good supporting role in some scents out there.

To me this Creed scent does not really seem to evolve, it smells the same hours later as it did 15 minutes after applying.

26th March, 2015

Eau de Grey Flannel by Geoffrey Beene

I don't know if this helps any but the color of the liquid in the bottle is sorta like what the cologne smell like. It is not cheap smelling, I don't think it smells like detergent.

Beautiful and it smells way above its price range. It smells like a very concentrated floral bouquet but in a non-feminine variant. You will stand apart from others at the party, and depending on the party guest list you might stand above the other colognes!

23rd March, 2015

Messire by Jean D'Albret

Got lucky too, just like previous reviewer, got a vintage mini. The J. D'Albret brand, I believe, was independent then merged with Orlane, which is still around. Simple fragrance for men lite citrus and inoffensive.

This one is probably available on ebay, rare, if available at all.

20th March, 2015

Bowling Green by Geoffrey Beene

I'm suprised to see lemon as a top note, not so noticeable to me.

When wearing Bowling Green all I can think of first is fir/forest green and then some fresh herbaceous notes. Then maybe somewhere in the background some citric, maybe.

I can't make up my mind as to whether this is a cool/cold or wart/hot scent. I'm also surprised to see it gets overwhelmingly a spring/summer vote. When I've worn this I tend to think of it more as a cool climate fragrance.

Another thing about this Geoffrey Beene product is that it brings to mind more formal events and a scent for those over 30. I'm not going to hold it against you if you're younger and give it a go though.

12th March, 2015

Supercharged by Jeanne Arthes

Okay, this is for the first hour, a very strong powdery iris.

Powdery scents remind me of Avon scents and this is definitely a strong powdery fragrance. The iris note dies off after an hour and then the musk takes over as second note to the powder.

After a couple of hours the musk mellows and you get some vanilla kicking in.

It seems to project well and last a good amount of time but if you're solely purchasing for the iris you might be let down because after an hour it's pretty much gone. Sorta reminds me of Prada's release, for the first hour.

09th March, 2015

Aromadisiac for Him by Avon

This is a simple scent.
    Rather straightforward, not complex but yet it does not seem like "just another scent"

Avon seems to put out some scents that are nice but fall short on projection, lately I've revisited Avon's Turn 4XT along with Christian Lacroix's Noir too.

Aromadisiac, like the aforementioned scents sits close to the skin and is gone within 6-7 hours.

No leather to my nose either, it is figgy but it's a dark fruit, something made for cooler weather.
    That darkness is hard to describe, I sorta get a powder-like vibe in the background.

That powdery aroma is the same kind I get from Avon's Mesmerize for Men and Black Suede Leather.

07th March, 2015

Noir by Christian Lacroix

Hello, well.......there is not much to really complain about. It's a simple woodsy scent, not too strong in projection not too close to the skin.

This is a perfectly fine cologne for men, there is no major note that really sets itself apart from the others.

Not really dark or provocative, just nice.

Good for everyday activities but also works for evening wear. Nice bottle and it would have you expecting more but you pretty much get a good utility product.

06th March, 2015

TURN4XT by Avon

This is a great scent.

I'm not exactly sure what coriander smells like but I believe that is what is mixing in with the mahogany, lavender and sandlewood.

Sweet but not too sweet, this woodsy aroma is not so sweet that it seems cloying or rather feminine.

It stays the same throughout and stays a bit close to the skin.

Great scent for the price.

06th March, 2015

Lolita Lempicka Au Masculin by Lolita Lempicka

In the notes above, they do not list licorice but licorice is what I get out of this one.

I am not a licorice person and not that big into anise.
    This just does not seem like a great masculine scent, sorta feminine and comes across more as a daily, uneventful type of wearer.

It's interesting, when I've been in a group of people and the subject of favorite treat or candy comes up they eventually come around to their least favorite treat.

Licorice is usually number one, they mention the taste and smell of it, I'm right there with them, black licorice has a medicinal smell and taste to it.

This just does not come across as a "special events" or "make an impression" type of cologne for men.

Glad I only purchased a miniature.

04th March, 2015

Mémoire d'Homme by Nina Ricci

This is funny, over at fragrantica.com this scent gets rave reviews and here it gets a beating.

It's also funny how people can get so many different notes out of one scent especially when some of those mentioned notes are not listed anywhere. Upon first application I get a great boozy and smokey whiff.

After a while I'm also reminded, distantly, of a root beer-like smell. This is not a dark cologne or deep, it seems airy but somehow keeps a serious or formal vibe to it.

I can't really make out licorice, at least outright, I guess it mixes in enough to keep you wondering. Some mention woods, that's something else I cannot say stands up out in the foreground.

Unfortunately this great scent does not stay strong and the projection falls off after a couple of hours, I'm glad I have it though.

If you have the kind of skin or chemistry with fragrances that soaks them up you might find yourself bathing in it to make an impression or project.

03rd March, 2015

Rocabar by Hermès

When I think of Hermes I immediately think of soft beautiful unisex and female scents. When it comes to their male scents it seems that they are on the soft side and don't project strongly any uber masculine notes.

Rocabar is a nice inoffensive woody/spicy fragrance, not really hot/spicy or dark/woodsy at all. Projection is okay and I'm not keeping it in reserve for special occasions.

Just does not seem all that special at all. I'm happier with Hermes unisex fragrances for summer and Rocabar for everyday activities.

03rd March, 2015

Pure Black by Ettore Bugatti

I'm glad the previous reviewer mentioned "grassy" because I would not have figured on that to best describe the beginning. It is an awkward fragrance but sorta ends up suede-like and woodsy.

It is creamy in the end and comes across as sophisticated and above average type of aroma.

It certainly does not come across as an inauthentic fragrance.

It lasts a bit but projects on the short side.

28th February, 2015

Raw Vanilla by Coty

I don't get the musk, coconut or metallic notes that previous B'Noters mention. It is a canvas with vanilla all over the background and some brushstrokes of greens and bamboo somewhere in the middle/ foreground.

It does seem unisex and that is something that might keep some men from using it more often.
    Another thing that might turn some folks off is the sweetness, I like it but when I get a close sniff on my skin I wonder if the sweetness also may make it a little too feminine.

Thumbs up though, seems good for cool or warm weather.

27th February, 2015

Tabaróme Millésime by Creed

This is a nice scent, though I just can't make out a leather or tobacco note.
    It's mostly ginger and a woodsy type of concoction to me.
    It is put together well though, enough so that it is "upper tier" type of aroma or something you reserve for more formal occasions.

25th February, 2015

Vetiver Oud by Illuminum

I gotta admit, I have only purchased a vial sample, but I have applied it on three different occasions. Such a big let down, I cannot make out oud or vetiver but a mature woman's cheap synthetic perfume like aroma.

This company seems to put out scents that have a big price tag but if this is the kind of stuff they put out then I would say they are way over priced.

Big disappointment.

I would highly recommend that you try a sampler/vial first before putting out a lot of money on a full bottle.

16th February, 2015

Tabac Original by Mäurer & Wirtz

When people say "Barber shop" type, this is what they are talking about.

Sort of like Agua Lavanda, a hallmark, a mile stone, a turning point in the cologne industry.......masculine, virile....... you name it, this is not for the meek.

Women will know you are not following a fad but making a statement..........you are a man.

05th February, 2015

Zino Davidoff by Davidoff

Thumb way up!

It's December as I write this, this is the type of weather, at least in the Northern Hemisphere, for this fragrance.

Go out and try it, dark and rich.

Goes well with that extra layer of clothing, good friends, nights out and enjoying their company!

You feel more mature and as if people take you a little more seriously with this great aroma around you.

06th December, 2014

Lancetti Monsieur by Lancetti

Weird, yes there is an oregano note in there, and boy is it prominent. It sorta puts me off but at the same time the other notes in there add this great green energy that attracts me. I don't know what the other green or herbal notes are but it is herbal and green for sure.

If you wear it and let it mature or evolve you will probably love it or hate it. I guess it could go either way as in casual or formal event. I got the miniature sized bottle and am not sure if I would purchase another one when it's done but I do like it enough to encourage others to try it.

If you're wondering if it may fall into the citrus, floral, woody or leather I'm gonna tell you it is none of those. Just green, chypre-type.

17th September, 2014

Stetson Fresh by Stetson

I gotta give this scent some respect. It is not bad and it, after a few tries, has moved up in my rating level when ranking all my colognes, eau de toilettes and so on.

I first considered this a generic one but now am giving it its due. The citric notes don't sparkle but yet are not muted, the musk is soft and not rank. Sure it does not project much and is short lived but some people might actually be looking for something like that, and for the price it can be expected or overlooked.

No sweetness here, or at least annoyingly so and it is probably best for summer days and very casual events, and yes even in the evenings.

It's probably time I edit my old review at another site and hopefully other admirers of this bargain bin fragrance here will join in and add their thumbs up.

17th September, 2014

Curve Connect for Men by Liz Claiborne

Wow, I'm surprised by all the neg. reviews. I love this little flanker, I think because it is targeting the younger crowd it is seen as "juvenile" or a neophyte's scent.

I really like the way this is a "sparkling" type of citrus along with a cool musk. Definitely for hot weather which my part of the world is experiencing right now.

I got it for CHEAP on ebay, a deodorant and a 1 oz. spray bottle, glad I got it.

Sure, it's no formal or date type of wearing scent, well if the date is not a first one, I can understand using it. Think of this as a summer party and work or school wearer.

No need to get down on this one, enjoy!

11th September, 2014

Luciano Soprani Uomo by Luciano Soprani

This is beautiful and way under the radar of scent aficionados out there. I believe it is classy and has some leather/woods that you really gotta sniff for. This is not a monster, it is close to the skin.

Love it, not a generic citrus scent.

11th September, 2014

Kanøn Agarwood by Kanon

This is a great place to start, if you're interested in exploring the world of oud then why not start off here?
    Inexpensive and it comes in a large sized sprayer with box.
    At first spray you will pick up a synthetic note but if you give it time and let it evolve you somehow get a great aroma, I get a clean oud, not oily or dirty like Arabic attars.
    Rosewood and shades of Zino by Davidoff come to mind.
    I feel as though this will be overlooked by many cuz it's low price , oh well, it's their loss.

28th April, 2013 (Last Edited: 21st January, 2015)

Michael for Men by Michael Kors

Sweet tobacco that lasts quite a while on my skin.
    I believe it's for cooler temps and night time.

14th April, 2013

Jovan Musk for Men by Jovan

Great old scent that is rather linear.

Sure it does not mature, have a varied nuance or "evolve" but it reminds you of what "old school" scent is all about.

I pair it with Agua Lavanda body wash and I smell like I just stepped out of a great old barbershop.

Smells the same as it did back in the 70's when I was a child.

01st April, 2013

Seduction in Black by Antonio Banderas

It does the job.
    Currant smoothed out by vanilla is all I pick up here, LINEAR for sure.

27th March, 2013

Aqua Allegoria Pamplelune by Guerlain

It's made a bit more masculine by it's non citrus notes like cassia.

Good life on the skin.

Worth trying a mini of this which are all over ebay.

02nd March, 2013

David Beckham Homme by Beckham

I like this one, it is sorta like Tom Ford's Grey Vetiver though with a layer of spice........like pepper!

Even if this is not your thing you cannot lose big in the $ department.

I feel this is a serious scent to wear and it will impress.

25th February, 2013