Reviews by odioustoilet

Ferrari Cedar Essence by Ferrari

The notes seem sincere, not synthetic, great marine/fresh/fruity upon application.

They, at times, seem to meld and give an aroma reminiscent of magnolia.
Really like.
08th June, 2017

Jon Bon Jovi Unplugged for Him by Avon

Well, it's an Avon fragrance.

If you've been into collecting or wearing scents for a while you probably know that they tend to be short lived and on the synthetic side.

This has an average life on my skin and it is definitely a darker floral leaning masculine aroma.

The notes don't stand apart and it seems a bit linear but once in a while I swear, I think I'm getting a coconut note-sorta sweet.

I've tested a couple of times indoors and I look forward to trying it out on town.

Maybe an all season and day/night casual eau de toilette that has average projection.
01st June, 2017

First Instinct by Abercrombie & Fitch

I notice review sites and YouTubers mentioning a similarity to CH Men by C. Herrera.

I get the sweetness but this, to me, is sweet fruit and not sugar itself.

Not too fruity though, I am really liking it.

There's a tartness that does not die down after an hour or so like others where base notes like musk, woods or resins take over and finish off the lifespan of a scent.

It is still going after 8 hrs. on me.
Definetly warm weather scent and i dont feel awkward wearing it even though I am not a teen or early twenty-something.

23rd April, 2017

L'Hommage à L'Homme by Lalique

I am in the minority here, I might understand the high rating if you're grading the end-life of this scent which is nice.

The opening though, wow, just a bit too rough for me. The notes just don't come across as harmonious or seem to "jive", to me. Violet is okay but does not do well with oud/agarwood to my nose.

It will last well on the skin and is masculine enough but I don't feel like waiting around for this to mellow.

08th April, 2017

Sunshine Man by Amouage

You gotta hand it to Amouage, you'd think that with a name like Sunshine Man that they would go the same old route and go heavy with citrus/ginger/light floral notes or go aquatic/calone. Sure, there's bergamot and supposedly orange in there but it seems muted.

If you're looking for a warm weather scent that is "sparkling", bright or sharp then you might be disappointed.
Sunshine is going with Tonka beans and rather toned down florals like immortelle and a dry lavender.

I think the brandy gives it a syrupy sweet side that may turn off some folks. Also, because of the immortelle it might even come across as rather medicinal so keep that in mind.

For what Amouage costs the projection off of my skin falls way too short and so does the life of this juice. I'm glad I only got myself a decant, I suggest the same for you unless you're an Amouage fan club member.
27th March, 2017

Gucci Guilty Absolute pour Homme by Gucci

This is one of those rare scents that is bold without being loud or brash. I would describe this scent as rather muted, you get a leather-like, hydrocarbon and some green aroma all at once.

One of the first images that this great juice brought to mind was the inside of an old pick-up my father owned that held various items such as tools and dirty mechanic's rags. I only have a decant right now but am looking at getting a full bottle though I will say that even though it's an EDP it is a bit on the weak side. Life span on my skin is okay and projection is too so if your skin is the type that soaks it up you might go heavy on application.

Every once in a while I think I catch a whiff of "greenery", maybe the cypress? Most of the time you got a great leather that isn't trying so hard to get noticed.
16th March, 2017

Dark Rebel by John Varvatos

Man, where to begin? There's darkness that comes from the black leather, booze and castoreum notes but what I think draws the younger crowd and women is the vanilla, clary sage and sugar cane.

If you've been collecting scents for a while you know the big negative mark with Varvatos scents is the lack of projection and short longevity. Dark Rebel may not be the boldest and longest lasting male fragrance but compared to its predecessors from this house this release is pretty good.

In the world of perfumery it seems that oud is the big note right now, quite often it seems to pop up where you least expect it, though there is none here this Varvatos scent's dark start on my skin has me thinking of that note.

Such a great concoction of many notes, what I think bridges the dark and sweet/greenish notes is the tobacco, definitely evening wear and for cooler temps. Impressive and not ridiculously expensive. This and Platinum from this house really stand out.
18th February, 2017

Oud Fleur by Tom Ford

I'm no rose expert nor do I find it to be my favorite note amongst men's scents but this Oud Fleur fragrance has a nice kind of rose.

The oud is soft while the rose is not the usual dry red rose kind.

Have you ever walked around a rose garden and noticed the difference between various rose bushes? Have you ever smelled a rose, a darker rose where the aroma is fuller, juicier and seems more complex?

That's what Ford seems to have here in this scent, a little incense-like and, yes, like the name implies-floral.

Projects very well and lasts a good amount of time.
17th February, 2017

McGraw Southern Blend by Tim McGraw

There is no real "depth" to this, as in not giving the impression of expensive ingredients or in large dose but it smells really nice.

If you're just getting started in the whole fragrance collection hobby or just want to smell nice on a budget then this is IT, especially for cooler weather.

For what you get, it seems like they're almost giving it away. If you like or seek a boozy/tobacco/sensual scent then this is a place to start and then move on up to Thierry Mugler's Pure Havane or Tom Ford's Tobacco Vanille.

McGraw's Southern Blend is certainly masculine and a keeper, a good number of people on youtube and fragrance review sites talk about lack of projection or lifespan. For me it was good, so keep that in mind.

05th February, 2017

L'Envol by Cartier

Honeyed iris on a bare wooden table.
Unisex but not girly, iris is big right now in the men's fragrance world yet this keeps itself grounded with musk/patchouli?

Good for various activities year 'round.

If you're into honey then step up and give this a try.

21st January, 2017

Perry Ellis m by Perry Ellis

Yes, very much like Allure Homme by the great house of Chanel.

Though I do prefer this much more so, why?

First off.....pricepoint, so much cheaper!

Second-darker, in my opinion, Allure has white flower notes like Jasmine, Gardenia and such along with peach making it not only softer but powdery.

Third: This is more masculine, Allure's white flower, peach and coconut notes give it a feminine leaning.

Fourth; long lasting and great projection.

As I write this it is the middle of winter here in the northern hemisphere and such a great time of year for Perry Ellis' M.
15th January, 2017

Evolution by Rocawear

Great entry-level incense fragrance.

This is a nice surprise, not a monster at projecting/sillage and a short life on the skin but for what you pay for it you don't mind a few extra sprays.

Spiciness and dark notes like rum give it a rough edge. This scent summons images of various events and activities throughout the year, day and night for which you can wear.

Definitely a masculine fragrance that is simple, it will not change at all over time.

It seems all notes hit you up front.
04th January, 2017

Faquat Lil Rijal by Rasasi

I think this resembles Cartier's Declaration D'Un Soir, though not as soft.
The oud here is not soft or clean like Cartier's D.U.S., thereby not so feminine.

Cartier's scent does not evolve while this does go from the oud/rose start to a more soft musk/sandlewood.

Before I purchased this I noticed that all reviews I've seen on YouTube have really good words for this scent.
Projection and lifespan of this scent is really good.

Good fragrance for the little amount of money spent.
01st January, 2017

La Yuqawam pour Homme by Rasasi

On the stale side......
I'm really trying to enjoy this but for some reason when I sniff my arm on which I have sprayed this scent all I can think of is tobacco, stale tobacco, not the fresh sweet pipe type......just cigarette-like.

Also the leather just has an old worn very aged leather smell to it. Maybe if I walk around outside it might be a different story but when I wear it indoors at night before I go to sleep I'm just not impressed.

To my nose the scent does not evolve. No raspberry or sweetness to speak of.
14th December, 2016

Casbah by Robert Piguet

Angelic(a)?

Odd, it's weird how some scents come across.......was it my mood, nose, skin chemistry that night?
The first time I tried Casbah was after spraying it with the nozzle close to my skin.

I was turned off because before I fell asleep all I detected was a dark smokiness. It took over a week before I tried again but applied a mist and more over my body then walked out into the cool and breezy late afternoon.

Wow, so much better this time, I am not familiar with Angelica root but if it's that sweet scent that is intertwined with incense then I really love it.

Great projection and still going strong after 5 and one half hours.

Great unisex I believe, the incense here is definitely house of worship strength so that might turn off some ladies but Angelica root tames the beast.

Good name for this product, my first Piguet purchase, setting the bar rather high for the rest of the line.
28th November, 2016

Westbrook by Byredo

I envy you, well if you have the ability to detect all the notes or at least most of the ones listed here.

For the first hour after application all I can make of this is a generic ho-hum-smelling violet fragrance. Okay, maybe not just violet but I'm not sure if I'm also smelling osmanthus and/or gin?

A little more after an hour then an amazing woodiness kicks in, the Vetiver and suede join the violet note and turn this scent into something that is so much more than I was expecting after such an ordinary start.

The vetiver, suede and violet notes are harmonious and authentic. Where is the tobacco?

This one, from Byredo, projects and lasts.
26th November, 2016

Rogue Man by Rihanna

Some may have noticed my interest in this scent by my postings on the Male Fragrance Forum, I stated that it seemed like just another Chanel Allure Homme clone.

Well, after a few overnight wearings I gotta admit I really like this, it's a bit on the unisex/sweet side and floral towards the end. This will carry on for hours on your skin!

One of the notes listed is Vanilla Orchid, that's the first time I see that ingredient/note and it may be what this scent eventually settles down to.

At first application you're going to get that Allure HEAVY vanilla, Tonka vibe and it lasts a while.

Projection is great and I have to give Rihanna some credit, if she actually had a hand in developing/planning this, the bottle too is simple but nice and actually heavy. I got the 1oz./30ml bottle and the box and sprayer are above average.
21st November, 2016

masculin Pluriel by Maison Francis Kurkdjian

This scent has been done many times before, it falls under the category of barber shop maybe?

Sure, it's been done before but how well has it been done before? Sort of like the electric-car, there have been many electric cars over the years but Tesla has really done a good job of putting one together have they not?

So it goes that MFK has done rather well with the best ingredients and brought back an old fashion sense to a higher level.

Lavender indeed, if you crave a good lavender then here is your fix.
17th November, 2016

Bois d'Argent by Christian Dior

It seems the two notes most notice or that people seem to love about this fragrance is the iris and the myrrh. For me it's actually a turn-off, so much so that in the beginning I think of the top notes as rather dry.

I love the iris in Dior's Eau for men but here it paints, for the first two to three hours, a rather drab picture. Also, like so many mention on the internet through various review sites, this scent sits close to the skin with an average lifespan.

The part I do like is the second half of it's existence, I was able to make out a green and sweet aroma that impressed me, is it the cypress and honey?

I felt let down at first, it seems my interpretation or what my nose picks up is much different from that of others, glad I didn't wash it off after a couple of hours.
27th October, 2016

Boss Sport by Hugo Boss

Nope, not really a "Sport" scent to me, maybe I've grown accustomed to 90's and newer sport fragrances that are pretty much aldehyde/citrus/marine note bombs.

This shows its age in being such a strong oakmoss/lavender smeller.

I'm actually wearing this as I write and cannot help but picture a barbershop and shaving cream products.

It's a classic, maybe for the over 30 crowd, nice projection and life on my epidermis.
23rd September, 2016

Solo Loewe by Loewe

As I wore this through the day my mind kept going back to thoughts of Hermes' Terre, the original. Dirty, spicy and sweeter though tangerine instead of orange-add guava and no inert mineral note.

I had no hesitation in wearing this though like Hermes'TdH it seems to lean more towards the older gentleman.

Loewes, a Spanish company, has kept me happy with all their scents that I own so far.
20th September, 2016

Dior Homme Eau for Men by Christian Dior

No hesitation in giving this scent a BIG thumbs up.

This is a great scent that seems like it was made for autumn, not so light but not cloying like the Dior Hommes that came before it. When I wear this I feel as if I'm just not trying so hard like I do when I wear Dior's Homme, Guerlain's LIDGE and other mainstream scents that are nice but a little too stuffy for me.

As for longevity, I guess my skin just loves to hold fragrances a little longer than that of other reviewers. Does it radiate? I think it does, rather well.
17th September, 2016

Cedre Atlas by Atelier Cologne

This is an oddity to me because it seems to go from one end of the spectrum to the other.

What im talking about is sort of a sour/balsamic or vinegary type of vibe but then I also, at other times, get that Iso E Super and ambroxan smell to it and yes, Dior Sauvage does come to mind.

The way some talk about apricot, then maybe that's the acidic aroma I'm getting. What I love is the Ambroxan which within Sauvage's review I have described as a hazey type of smell.

Cedar is not the main character here.
05th September, 2016

Chrome Limited Edition 2014 by Azzaro

I am not a fan of the original Chrome by Azzaro, too many "bros" seem to shower in that scent before heading out to the club on weekends.

Chrome, to me, seems like a synthetic monster that stands out real easily so that's why I only purchased a couple of vials of this Summer version instead of a full bottle.

There is enough citrus/orange/mandarin to turn this into a nice summer/sporty scent. The original is in the background but far enough in the background to set your mind at ease if you are not into the original Chrome, having vetiver doesn't hurt either.

Good projection and longevity, I'll say it's even recommendable!
24th August, 2016

Allure Homme Sport by Chanel

This is a bit too "creamy" for me to be considered a "sport" scent.

Really nice but the Tonka and Vanilla, for me, seems rather prominent, more so than citrus.

When I think sport I think aldehydes, citrus, marine/aquatic notes.....which I detect yet not getting past the vanilla/Tonka blend.

Again, this is really nice but not the kind I think of applying on HOT days, I just happened to wear it today on a cooler than usual day under overcast skies.

It definitely has the Allure background, just a bit too heavy.
07th August, 2016

Untouchable for Him by Avon

An amazing beautiful scent...............for about 15 minutes! Reminds me of the great vetiver scents, the ones with an earthy/soil vibe to it. I bought me some samples off of ebay, though it goes under the name UNTOUCHABLE here in the states.

It is gone within an hour and while it was around it was very close to the skin.

Wow, if Avon "upped" or amplified the ingredients it put into this then this would be a great seller.

Too bad it is gone so fas
05th July, 2016

Royal Mayfair by Creed

This is crazy, on initial spray I get a white floral aroma, yet no such notes are listed, just rose. I just recently got this and have only "sampled" sprayed on two different days.

Again, at the end life I'm getting something that is not listed, a beautiful vetiver! As it dies down this scent reminds me of a greater version of Tom Ford's Grey Vetiver.

Yes, at first it is DEFINITELY feminine.
It sort of turned me off, the first time I wore it I had to go out so I ended up washing it off before going out, not allowing it to evolve.

The second application, on an evening, was right before going to sleep. About six hours later upon waking up, wow, what a beautiful scent.

So, in closing..........if you are willing to put up with a feminine floral scent for an hour or so, give it a try.

23rd June, 2016

Terre d'Hermès by Hermès

I can actually see why people would not like this. This scent, depending on what note you catch a whiff of, can be anything from bug spray-like to mineral or inert.

That's the thing though, depending on what you pick up your opinion might change throughout its wearing. Dirty orange, flint, black pepper and/or vetiver......it is an interesting mix.

On me, this easily projected and had a good lifespan, maybe 6 hours or so.

Various people on YouTube reviews keep on mentioning that it comes across as an "old man" type of scent.
Definitely over thirty type of scent but seems too sophisticated to fall into only the mature demographic.
22nd June, 2016

Cuir Cannage by Christian Dior

Easily a four star frag, I wouldn't doubt if some may believe it's a fiver.

Weird, I can't make out one single note but it just smells so nice, jasminey?........the orange blossom gives it a nice sweet "glow".

It seems many point out the leather as being on the very front, which would make you think cooler weather, though today I wore it on a beautiful sunny, warm day.

Awesome scent for both sexes.

Good longevity, I feel kind of guilty not dressing up for this.
18th June, 2016

Clubman Special Reserve by Pinaud

Are you fed up with soft leather fragrances? Have you knelt before the fragrance gods and implored them for a strong LEATHER scent?

Be careful what you ask for, this baby is no joke.
Old school, retro, takes no prisoners............apply if you think you can handle this juggernaut of masculinity!

Leather, then leather, then some more leather and then some spices.

Lasts, projects and turns heads.
This will make you walk a little taller and make you feel good in what ever you endeavor.
16th June, 2016