Reviews by Lovescully

Lovescully's avatar
    Lovescully

Armani Privé Figuier Eden by Giorgio Armani

This beautiful Armani Prive’ creation is probably my current favourite of all the fig fragrances I have, just beating out Premier Figuier Extreme by L`Artisan Parfumeur.

I think the absence of any kind of coconut (which is usually paired with fig in fragrances) or sweet gourmand notes is what currently attracts me to this so much.

It’s very fresh, but not in the least what I would class as either aquatic or insubstantial. I can clearly detect the presence of orange oil, a little bit of tea and some fresh cut grass notes, but I do have trouble picking up any iris whatsoever.

The amber and pepper in the base are also clearly detectable and are what I think gives this its definite unisex appeal. While the sillage is light I have no problem at all with the longevity which does last well over 7 hours on my skin. It’s also a compliment getter if you care about such things.

This is going to get a lot of use from me in the coming Australia Summer.

24th September, 2014

Kouros Eau de Toilette Tonique 2014 by Yves Saint Laurent

Although there's very little of the original Kouros in this, it is still very nice. It has more in common with Ice Men by Mugler than the original. It's a frosty patchouli scent with a hint of wood and incense.

Although geranium is listed in the notes I cant detect any florals at all in this.

27th August, 2014

Fahrenheit Parfum by Christian Dior

Like all of Fahrenheit's flankers, this actually works better on me than the original and I find that I enjoy it more.

It's definitely sweeter than the original but I do easily detect Fahrenheit’s DNA in this Parfum version. I also agree that this has more in common with the Absolute version than the original, but the Parfum does not have any of Absolute’s strong myrrh and incense notes and I detect very little wood. The drydown of Parfum is much more about vanilla.

On my skin I get very good sillage and longevity out of this.

12th June, 2014

Armani Privé Nuances by Giorgio Armani

Absolutely one of a kind!

This is such a different take on iris that it almost doesn't 'feel' like an iris fragrance. At first I detect a very non-sweet cinnamon and vetiver combination that just rocks my world! This early stage is so divine that I just want it to last forever.

The next stage of Nuances' development on my skin is a striking iris and sandalwood combination that is very comforting and dries down to a nice gentle benzoin/caramel/vanilla; but never too sweet. This is a dry and dusty benzoin.

As far as value for money goes, despite its outrageous price tag, this is worth every single cent. It projects just the right amount and lasts almost 12 hours on my skin. On clothes it lasts days! I have received a compliment nearly every single time I have worn this.

I find this combination of notes and the way in which they play out on my skin very original and unique. I can honestly say that of the over 330 frag's I own nothing smells like Nuances. 5 stars and 2 thumbs way up!

14th May, 2014

Chrome Bois Precieux by Azzaro

I was lucky enough to find a 125ml bottle of Chrome Bois Precieux relatively cheaply, so I bought it blind. Of course I was aware of what the original Chrome smelt like, but I was intrigued by the addition of ‘precious woods’ to the original’s formulation (and I liked the bottle too).

In truth, this doesn’t seem to differ too greatly from the original. It still has that fresh somewhat metallic opening feel about it, but this version does appear to pull back a touch on that famous (or infamous) metallic sourness.

The fruity sweetness of the lychee combined with just a hint of bitterness from the tea note gives a wonderful lift to the middle phase, but I wished this stage lasted a bit longer!

I’m not sure what kind of ‘precious woods’ have been added to the base, but I do like the overall effect that this leaves with me. Where the original Chrome has a definite Spring/Summer & soapy/aquatic vibe, Chrome Bois Precieux has a little richer and a deeper more balanced presence. I think it’s suitable for all year round and any occasion use.

Overall I’d say it’s a great option for those who love the original, but want to try something a touch different. For me, I have to admit that although Chrome wasn’t a ‘must have’ or top 20 in my collection, I always enjoyed it when I chose to wear it. I find that this Chrome Bois Precieux version is more to my taste and will probably get more use than the original.

Sillage and longevity are on a par with the original version of Chrome.

20th April, 2014

Armani Privé Pierre de Lune by Giorgio Armani

As one of the last Armani Prive's I tried I have to say that I was oh so pleasantly surprised!

What a wonderful and whimsical fragrance to dedicate to the moon! Pierre de Lune is quite multi-facetted despite the constant references to 'clean soap'. It definitely has a French soap aspect to it but it has oh so much more going on than just soap!

I detect all of the following in no particular order (than what my mind has naturally ordered them in) grass, violet, iris, cinnamon, talc, jasmine (or something similarly just as indolic!), and of course a type of ambergris or similar.

This is the best darn white soap smell that I've ever had the pleasure of smelling!

04th March, 2014

Luna Rossa Extreme by Prada

This is a lavender & spice bomb!

Despite its popularity I never really liked the original Luna Rossa. I found it to be a bit watery and insubstantial and certainly not worth the retail price for a full bottle.

With this extreme version there is nothing insubstantial about it. The opening is a bit nose stinging with citrus, very strong pepper and lavender all making an appearance. It quite quickly calms down to a nice spicy and warm lavender scent.

There's not a lot of progression between the notes and apart from the appearance of some vanilla about 30 minutes in it pretty much smells the same for the life of the fragrance; which on my skin was about 7 hours maximum.

26th January, 2014

Armani Privé La Femme Nacre by Giorgio Armani

Beautiful woody and musky iris

First off the name of the fragrance as listed here (and on other websites/blogs) is I believe both misleading and incorrect. Neither the packaging on my bottle (number 136/1000) nor the advertising on Armani's own website refers to this as 'La Femme Nacre'. It is simply called 'Armani/Prive Nacre'. Regardless, in the wearing it is my opinion that it is totally a unisex fragrance.

Although only 2 notes are listed here, I detect more than just iris and musk. It is definitely dominated by those 2, but I can sense a woody aspect that adds depth and character. It starts with a dry and surprisingly earthy note which I suspect is orris root. It quickly develops the familiar powdery characteristic that iris is know for and after about 20 minutes the musk gently appears to compliment the iris. The musk used here is not that familiar to me and doesn't bring to mind any particular feelings that I would normally associate with musk, such as either 'laundry' or 'animalistic'. In fact, I tend to feel an almost gourmand quality to the musk used here. Like a musk flavouring that might be used in a dessert.

When the dry down arrives, it is less iris and more musk and wood. I wish I could give a name to the woody note(s) used here, but it's almost as if they were an afterthought. I guess the best way to describe it is as a 'tree' smell rather than leafy, grassy or smoky; like freshly cut wood.

While Nacre is long lasting, it is understated and fairly quiet.

On the downside, this is outrageously expensive (Retail AUS$650.00) but as only 1000 bottles were produced worldwide, I guess you are paying for the exclusivity as much as the beautiful fragrance, bottle and overall presentation. Luckily for me, as Nacre has now finished its exclusive production run and since the release of the 2013 exclusive 'Nuances', I was able to obtain this directly from the Giorgio Armani boutique at a vastly reduced price with my purchase of Nuances.

Overall, this is a unique and one of a kind fragrance that I will cherish until the last drop.

*As an aside, the Giorgio Armani rep's told me that Armani Prive's Ambre d'Orient and Cedre Olympe are both being discontinued. Of course this could just be in Sydney Australia and not worldwide.

Pros: Elegant, refined, long lasting and totally unisex
    Cons: Quiet and outrageously expensive"

28th September, 2013

Italian Bergamot by Ermenegildo Zegna

A gorgeous and beautiful Italian style citrus fragrance.

I had initially written this off as the least interesting of Zegna's Essenze collection and therefore I didn't think it was full bottle worthy. Well after much testing and sitting on the fence, I went ahead and purchased a full bottle of this (and Sicilian Mandarin).

This really is gorgeous and I can detect each and every note listed in the publicity. It comes across as being in the style of a classic Italian cologne, like ADP Colonia, but it definitely has its own character. I also get a sense of a fresh non-sweet eucalyptus type of note, like freshly scrunched eucalyptus leaves, but it remains firmly in the background. This is not a very complex fragrance, but I get the feeling that it isn't meant to be.

For a citrus based fragrance the longevity and sillage are pretty good, although not near Zegna's Indonesian Oud. It's a little expensive, but if you are looking for a beautiful citrus that not everyone is wearing, you could do worse than this. As with all the Essenze collection, the presentation and bottle are stunning.

Pros: Exclusive, fresh, classic, and reasonably long lasting.
    Cons: Not very complex (but I don't personally find that to be a con)."

09th September, 2013

Mercedes-Benz Intense by Mercedes-Benz

Deep and rich and fresh all at the same time!

This is actually quite stunning! I bought this blind as I got a pretty good deal on it. I'm not sure what I was expecting, but I really didn't think it would be so uplifting.

The opening is a bit typical of many masculine marketed fragrances with the usual citrus making a strong statement; but the violet is what makes this a bit different. In the heart I don't really sense any pepper, but the cascalone is prominent (without turning this into an 'aquatic').

The base is a sort of mash up of amber and wood, with maybe a touch of grassy vetiver at the end. I couldn't get a sense of any specific patchouli or cedar per say, but I did enjoy the drydown stage a lot. It somewhat reminds me of both Armani's ADG Essenza and Dior's Fahrenheit in that it is deep and rich and fresh all at the same time. It leaves me with an impression of something greater than just another run of the mill masculine EDT. Longevity was as good as I expected for an 'intense' EDT lasting about 8 hours maximum. The sillage trail was not massive but still noticeable.

The bottle has a heavy glass base and I love how the frosted dark grey looks together with the quite solid metal plated lid. 4 stars out of 5.

Pros: Long lasting and distinctive
    Cons:

07th August, 2013

Armani Privé Cuir Noir by Giorgio Armani

A lush and warm oriental

This is a wonderful fragrance. It's a lush and warm oriental that's a bit smokey and quite woody.

The leather aspect here is implied, rather than presented as an actual 'leather' accord. I can clearly detect the presence of the sandalwood, some rose 'like' accord and the various spices. I guess that these combined with the slightly medicinal oud and woody aspects give off a certain representation of leather. It certainly doesn't have the same strong specific leather accord as presented in Armani's other leather Prive' offering Cuir Amethyste.

The drydown is all about vanilla and reminds me slightly of a spicy vanilla egg custard. It's at this stage of the fragrance's development that I've received so many compliments when wearing Cuir Noir.

On my skin I've not experienced any of the longevity problems that others seem to have experienced. While it doesn't have a massive sillage trail, it certainly lasts on me for a good 8 hours or more.

21st July, 2013

Zegna Uomo by Ermenegildo Zegna

Not so bad

This one is not so bad. Whilst I agree somewhat with diamondflame that Uomo follows a well trodden path, I don't find it to be quite so mediocre or derivative. At least it's not another aquatic!

I get quite a strong representation of both the bergamot and violet leaf during the top and mid stages of this and then it does settle into a gentle woody base. I don't find Uomo in the slightest bit sweet like I do with Bvlgari Man. While there's no honey, vanilla or anything even remotely sweet, it does come across as a bit warm in the drydown. If anything, this reminds me somewaht of a lighter version of Dior's Fahrenheit.

Where Uomo does fall down for me is in the longevity and sillage departments. Like so many modern fragrances it feels like this was created so as not to offend delicate sensabilities. 2 or 3 hours after application, it's all but gone. Personally I prefer my fragrances a little more robust.

I was 'fortunate' enough to attend the launch party for this is the Sydney Zegna store, so I was given a 50ml bottle free. Having now worn it a few times, I don't think I would pay retail price for a bottle.

I'll give this 2 and half stars.

Pros: Pleasant and not another aquatic!
    Cons: Not very original. Average longevity & sillage

04th June, 2013

Javanese Patchouli by Ermenegildo Zegna

Dark, earthy, woody & musky

While I've never been to the island of Java, I imagine that this is what an Indonesian forest floor might smell like; dark, earthy, woody & musky.  Zegna's Javanese Patchouli is a very distinctive, slightly sweet and solid representation of the core ingredient of patchouli.  At first I detect the patchouli straight up, quickly followed by a sweetness that I'll asume is the pink pepper and tonka.  Like Zegna's Indonesian Oud this is a fairly linear scent that doesn't develop too much from first spray to dry down.  Right through its whole life (of about 8 - 10 hours) I can clearly detect the patchouli.

Although Zegna's marketing would have you believe that each of the Essenze collection is built on or contains Calabrian bergamot (from Zegna's own plantation would you believe!), I cannot detect any citrus whatsoever in this composition. Not that it detracts from the wonderful smell; it's just my observation. In contrast, all the other Essenze line (which i have now extensively tested) do contain some citrus notes; including Indonesian Oud which does have a very fleeting representation in the top notes.

I don't have a great deal of patchouli heavy fragrances in my collection, but if I was asked to liken this to anything else, it would have to be Luten's and Sheldrake's Borneo 1834.  Like 'Borneo' the presence of patchouli is is front and centre, however Borneo has a sort of camphorous quality that I don't detect here.  Of course Borneo also has cacao, which Zegna's latest does not.

The only other fragrances I am familiar with by Frank Voelkl are his RSVP & Signature scents for Kenneth Cole.  As much as I like those two quite a bit, this is a definite step up as far as quality goes.

Overall, while this is not as perfect a 5 star a fragrance as I find Indonesian Oud to be (mainly due to its lack of versatility), this Javanese Patchouli is a very solid and delightfully earthy addition to Zegna's new Essenze line up. 4 and half stars.

Pros: High quality, relatively long lasting, distinctive
    Cons: Versatility

23rd May, 2013

Indonesian Oud by Ermenegildo Zegna

Wonderful combination of oud and rose.

After testing the whole 'Essenze' collection I finally decided that Indonesian Oud was my favourite; followed closely by Javanese Patchouli.

In my opinion, Indonesian Oud begins as it ends, with a wonderful and luxurious combination of rose and oud.  It's a quite linear fragrance that in my experience doesn't really appear to behave in the traditional top, then heart, then base note structure.  The only exceptions are a slight hint of bergamot citrus at the beginning which appears to fade quite quickly, and a gentle amber/myrh background.  For those that are familiar with oud, they will recognise the slightly 'medicinal' traits that oud can sometimes display; but this is in no way a negative observation.

Apart from the beautiful scent itself, the biggest plus is the excellent longevity I get on my skin and clothes.  Despite being only an EDT concentration, this lasts on me the whole day and right through until the next morning.

For those that care about such things, the packaging and presentation are also very nice.  The simple, but elegant cube style heavy glass bottle is adorned with a glossy black metal base and a similar metal magnetic cap.

Although this is marketed for men, I suspect that this could very easily be worn by women. Considering the overall scent, longevity, performance & packaging, if I had to choose just one word to sum up my feelings it would be 'quality'.  Two thumbs up!

Pros: Excellent longevity.
    Cons: Quite linear (although it's not really a con).

17th May, 2013

Armani Privé Cèdre Olympe by Giorgio Armani

Like odysseum I find this to be a truly lovely scent; although I find it to be anything but gentle.

I've been testing this now for about two weeks trying to decide between purchasing this or Vetiver Babylone which has a similar citrus/woody vibe; albeit much sweeter. Ultimately I made the plunge on a full bottle of Cèdre Olympe. I find this to be a far more interesting and certainly longer lasting and more powerful. For me the cedar note is quite a bit stronger than the citrus but the pungent lemon tree leaves still make quite an impact. This really is a wonderful combination of strong fresh citrus and an earthy cedar with a dash of pine.

While it's listed as unisex, I think this might be a bit cedar heavy for the ladies (not that there's anything wrong with ladies who wish to smell like cedar!).

Big thumbs up!

14th May, 2013

Méchant Loup by L'Artisan Parfumeur

Very interesting. I'm immediately reminded of Sheldrake & Luten's Jeux de Peau. Warm, cosy, slightly gourmand and definately masculine. It's a skin scent for sure as there is very little projection, but it does seem to have great longevity.

17th November, 2012

Rive Gauche pour Homme Light by Yves Saint Laurent

This version of Rive Gauche strays very little from the original. That's not really a bad thing in my mind as Rive Gauche is one of my most versatile, enjoyable, masculine & highly complimented fragrances. Of course when I saw this on sale I just had to grab a bottle.

Don't be fooled by the reference to 'light' in the name; as this is nearly as powerful as the original. There's only just a hint of mint in the opening and a slightly more muted anise note to tell the difference.

If you can still find this and you love the original version, do yourself a favour and grab a bottle.

09th September, 2012

Pino Silvestre Sport Cologne by Silvestre

This is a wonderful fresh citrus & pine fragrance that immediately gives you a lift. In the initial spray I detect a strong lemon note that really stands out, but soon the pine notes come through with the lemon for a really nice zesty combination. It reminds me of the feeling of having just come out of a day spa.

Although there is no lemon or pine in the notes listed above, I guess that the combination of all these notes somehow produces what I can actually smell; a very nice lemon/pine combination!

Next you can detect a semi-sweet muskiness to the drydown, but it comes at least a couple of hours after the top notes. Not really expected considering the very strong citrus opening, but very nice indeed!

I would recommend this fragrance for almost any occasion, except maybe a formal affair.

09th September, 2012

Z Zegna Fresh by Ermenegildo Zegna

Like Zegna's 'Z' this is a fruity and somewhat tart, yet still fresh scent. Despite its appearance and marketing (mine came in a 'wetsuit' type of sheath cover) it is not really an aquatic.

I really can't distinguish much of a difference between this 'Fresh' version and the original Z. Like the original, its longevity and sillage are not outstanding. In fact, this Fresh version is so much lighter than Z that I use it as an after shave base before wearing Z or Z Zegna Extreme.

Despite its sillage and longevity issues, the original Z is still one of my 'go to' choices when I can't really decide what else to wear. This Fresh version though seems like a complete waste of money. If you already have a bottle of Z, I would not bother with this at all. I only bought mine blind as I really enjoyed Z.

I'm giving this a neutral rating purely due to the very pleasant feeling I get from smelling this (while it lasts!).

14th August, 2012

Tuscan Soul by Salvatore Ferragamo

I really love this when it's first sprayed, however it has absolutely no sillage or longevity.

It's really very fresh and uplifting, but in my experience lasts only about 20 - 30 minutes maximum on my skin. Lucky it comes in a 125ml size bottle!

Frustratingly, I'd have to say that this is a failure, albeit a pleasantly uplifting one! I'm giving this a neutral rating because I do love the smell.

08th July, 2012

Vintage Black by Kenneth Cole

KC Black has been in my regular rotation since I discovered it a few years ago. So when I was presented with an opportunity to receive a bottle of Vintage Black free as a gift, I jumped at the chance without having ever having had the chance to test it.

As a flanker to the original, this vintage version is very curious. At first sniff I detect almost no connection whatsoever to KC Black. It comes across as very citrus heavy and quite alcoholic, as if someone had just poured a freshly made lime tequila cocktail. The citrus is very juicy and almost natural. It does not come across like a pledge cleaning product as so many other citrus based frag's can do. As it progresses through its lifespan of about 5 hours tops, it does have some faint similarity with KC Black; but it is missing the incense and particulalry the sweetness of the original's mint (as already pointed out by dougczar).

Another curious aspect of this, is that despite the listed notes of sandlewood, oak and cedarwood, I can not really detect any woods in this at all. It stays very citrus and linear on me and doesn't really develop much at all. I do detect a very light musky type base though.

I also found the name to be curious too, that is until I made a connection that I suspect could be the answer. I was sure this reminded me strongly of something else in my collection, but I couldn't quite put my finger on it until I stumbled across my bottle of 4711 Eau de Cologne. That's right; Vintage Black dries down to smell very similar to a more concentrated version of a traditional Eau de Cologne. I guess the combination of citrus, lavender and musk has that effect. Maybe that's where KC got the 'vintage' inspiration for this?

Overall I find that I can only give this a neutral rating. It's sillage and longevity are average and I can't see myself getting nearly as much use out of this as I do with the original KC Black. At least it didn't cost me anything to give this a go!

26th June, 2012

Santos Concentrée by Cartier

I absolutely agree with maccus who said:

"a kind of oriental and gourmand concentration with concentrated herbal astringents and a little green element that create a sillage that warrants its own distinct classification"

however, unfortunately in my case that is not a good thing! This is so herbal and astringent that it borders on offensive. It smells to me like an unlit cigarette squashed into a vanilla custard and then thrown into a pot-pouri oil burner.

I really have tried to find something good about this but everytime I give this one another go I regret that decision. The overwhelmingly 'positive' reviews compared to 'negative' ones for this fragrance on basenotes just baffles me; but of course I respect that other people can find a joy in this that alas I can't find no matter how hard I try. The word 'stink' comes to mind.

11th June, 2012

Silver by Al Rehab

OK, so I’ve had a bottle of this in my wardrobe for a little while now and never really fussed over it much. That is until I started seeing blogs favourably comparing this to the much more expensive Creed Silver Mountain Water. I was then so intrigued that I decided to do a full comparison of the two; first on paper, then on skin.

On paper, both start almost identical. I’m hit with a synthetic ‘cool’ note and a natural citrus and berry. The SMW has a bit more of a berry vibe to it, whereas the Silver has more of a lemony vibe. 10 minutes later and it’s not too difficult to still tell the difference; due to the continuing dominant berry note in the Creed. 1 hour later and the fruitiness has all but disappeared from both. What’s left is a very pleasant and almost herbal tea like feeling. I’m sure there’s a floral component here to both, but it’s mixed well enough that I can’t really distinguish what it is. Maybe violet?
    6 hours later and the Creed has a slightly different stronger musky drydown. The Silver has a light muskiness to it, yet it’s still a noticeable musk.

In then end, on paper you can tell the difference, as the Creed’s opening is more berry and the sillage is stronger on the card after 6 hours.

On skin, the result is not too different for me. Neither seems to have much sillage or longevity past 5 or 6 hours (despite both being of EDP strength) and the only real difference of note is that the Creed seems sweeter and the Silver seems more citrus. In drydown, the Creed’s musky base is slightly more preferable. Both are still strikingly similar in their construction and end result.

As much as I like SMW (not love), I probably won’t ever spring again for another full bottle. In contrast, when you consider that the retail cost of 30mls of Silver EDP is approximately AUS$6.50 and the retail cost of 30ml’s of Creed SMW costs approximately AUS$90, I will no doubt consider buying another bottle of Silver when (if ever) my current bottle is empty. Value for money on Silver is phenomenal!

In summary, Silver really is a very pleasant fragrance. It has a nice cool fruity citrus opening and dries down to a muted floral and tea heart with a noticeable clean light musk base. If you are buying this just as a straight cheaper substitute for Creed’s SMW, it’s very very close; but based on smell alone (not $) I think that the Creed still comes off rather a bit better in the long run

26th March, 2012

Bulgari Aqua pour Homme Toniq by Bulgari

It's actually a very nice and citrus fresh interpretation of the original. The base notes are almost identical to the original but the top notes are where the major difference is to be found. I can clearly detect a frosty lemon and mint note that lasts about 20 - 30 minutes. After that it pretty much smells identical to the original with maybe just a slightly softer drydown.

If you like the original but have run out, why not give this one a go? If you already have Aqva, I'd wait until your bottles nearly empty before parting with your hard earned dollars for this.

Sillage: 3.5/5 (about the same as the original)
    Longevity: 3.5/5 (about 6 - 7 hours)
    Value for $: 4/5 (this can be found relatively cheaply on-line)

29th January, 2012

Zanzibar by Van Cleef & Arpels

I was lucky enough to have purchased this rare VC&A fragrance from another Basenoter (thanks Laph!)

I've read on another blog that this fragrance was described as like "African wind". I find this a most apt description!

Like Africa it conjures up thoughts of dark wood, heat and spices; yet like the wind it's sometimes strong and sometimes fleeting.

I do really like this one for a change to my usual summer rotation of aquatics and fresh fruity scents; but I do wish that the overall initial effect of wood, heat and spice lasted a bit longer. It's still lovely, but perhaps a touch too gentle.

P.S. The bottle's gorgeous to look at in person, but the shape and position of the nozzle makes it a bit difficult to use!

24th November, 2011

51.3N by Dunhill

51.3 N starts off quite gourmand with a delicious and slightly smoky rhubarb accord. Although the top notes here indicate that grapefruit is present, to me it smells more like apple is paired with the rhubarb. I always think of grapefruit as having a somewhat sour quality and I just don’t get that from 51.3 N.

Like a lot of Dunhill fragrances there is a strong underlying sweetness to 51.3 N that stays throughout its evolution. It’s not nearly as sweet as London or Desire Red, as here I think that sweetness is tempered somewhat by the spiciness of the pepper and the dryness of the sandalwood & cedar. For the most part, the vanilla accord stays pretty much in the background until about an hour in. Both sillage and longevity are average.

Overall 51.3 N is a very comfortable, value for money scent that I think would be appropriate for almost any occasion.

20th November, 2011

Eau de Paco Rabanne pour Homme by Paco Rabanne

This was definitely a (cheap) blind buy mistake for me.

Here in Australia we have a vegetable based yeast product called Vegemite that you spread on sandwiches or toast, usually for breakfast. It's jet black, has the consistency of thick engine grease and (in my opinion) tastes pretty foul (although it's generally regarded by a high number of the population here as a National Treasure!).

For me, Eau de Paco Rabanne pour Homme smells pretty close to a watered down version of Vegemite. It's far from fresh, and just seems too much like a spicy vegetable soup or a garden salad dressing to have any real appeal.

I've worn this once since purchase and will probably never wear it again. It's such a shame as I only bought it based on its relationship to the original Paco Rabanne pour Homme. This fragrance has no relationship to that classic whatsoever.

24th October, 2011

Bulgari Man by Bulgari

In my humble opinion, this is one of the top male fragrances released in 2010. Compared to the sheer and utter disappointment of the overhyped Chanel Bleu & Davidoff Champion masculine releases last year, this absolute stunner rather quietly (in comparison) snuck in under the radar.

This really has the feeling of opulence in a bottle. The honey and musk combination is superb, but the honey never feels gourmand in the slightest. I didn’t find it to be too spicy or woody, just a very sophisticated & semi-sweet gentle oriental.

For a Bvlgari scent the sillage & longevity seem above average. Which is to say that compared to non Bvlgari scents, they’re probably about average. I wore this to my 25 year high school reunion and nearly 3 hours in I was still being asked what the beautiful smell was? I couldn’t really detect it much after 4 or 5 hours, but it was a pretty big party, so I’ll need to test again in a more usual capacity.

Now if I can just get my hands on some balm &/or body wash, I think I may have found my new signature scent. By the way, I love the bottle! I’ve got the large one and it certainly feels and looks expensive.

13th October, 2011

A*Men Pure Havane by Thierry Mugler

Wow, what can I say? I was half expecting to be as disappointed by this as I was with 'Coffee', but this actually just edges out 'Malt' as my top favourite of Mugler's Men range.

The tobacco note is most prominent to my nose, along with dashes of honey and a little vanilla. The surprise for me though is just how long I can actually still detect the tobacco note. It seems to last for ages. I guess that's why it's called 'Havane'.

Unlike 'Coffee', which in my experience barely held a weak milky coffee note for about 30 minutes on my skin, this version continues to exude a beautiful, sweet & slightly dark tobacco aroma for at least a few hours. Further development reveals the signature A*Men base, but without any trace of tarry notes to intrude on the lovely caramel.

I still love ‘Malt’ for its opening boozy sweetness, but ‘Havane’ goes to the top of the class for its extended longevity and slightly darker top notes. A very big thumbs up!

For what it’s worth, my order of preference for the Mugler Men series is now:
    1. Pure Havane
    2. Pure Malt
    3. B*Men
    4. Ice*Men (a much reviled & misunderstood beast!)
    5. A*Men
    6. Pure Coffee

13th September, 2011

A*Men Pure Malt by Thierry Mugler

Now this is more like it! After my disappointment with Pure Coffee and not being a huge fan of the original A*Men's (preferring B*Men) strong tarry note, I think Mr Mugler has finally found just the right balance.

This is really great from the delicious sweet malty liquor top notes right down to the subdued & gentle A*Men base. Other than the longevity not being nearly as good as A*Men, it's hard to find much fault with this.

Now I just have to wait for my bottle of Pure Havane to arrive in the mail and the collection will be complete. I'm just hoping that Havane is more in the vein of Malt and not so similar to Coffee.

For what it's worth, my order of preferrence (so far) for the Mugler Men series is:
    1. Pure Malt
    2. B*Men
    3. Ice*Men (a much reviled & misunderstood beast!)
    4. A*Men
    5. Pure Coffee

02nd September, 2011 (Last Edited: 13th September, 2011)