Reviews by Deviant

Deviant's avatar
    Deviant

Dior Homme by Christian Dior

First let me praise the bottle design. It is unique, elegant and very practical (the nozzle allows half sprays). The thing just looks good.

Now for that lovely golden liquid. The iris note is dominant in the opening, and as the fragrance develops it assumes gourmand-like qualities. Unlike Pi, Le Male and Rochas Man, Dior Homme is not too sweet; oddly enough I would compare the gourmand notes to cereal. I sounds bizarre but that's the association I make.

For me, Dior Homme is perfect for an autumn/winter evening, ideally when dressed up. It is very strong, so I spray liberally (one full blast to the neck, one to the wrist).

06 June, 2011

Cool Water by Davidoff

When I was about 13, before I was a fragrance addict, this one used to drive me mad in duty free - I loved it. I bought a bottle and just couldn't get enough. I finished it and went a few years without it, until I was bought another 125ml bottle as a gift.

Coming back to the fragrance now I am less crazy about it (I find the opening quite poor) but once it dries down it is very fresh and crisp. It projects well and garners quite a few compliments.

Should I mention the similarities between this and Green Irish Tweed? Yes. Cool Water is a good cheap fragrance in its own right, but GIT does outshine it. That being said, if you are on a budget I must recommend this over the vastly more expensive Creed.

06 June, 2011

Rive Gauche pour Homme by Yves Saint Laurent

Rive Gauche just arrived in the post today, and I have to admit that I have been hugely looking forward to owning it. I pretty much bought this one blind (I have tested it before but I couldn't remember what it smelled like).

I am very impressed by the bottle, I love the light metallic feel and the atomiser is very generous. I have read about the similarities to Azzaro Pour Homme, of which I am a fan, but I have to say I was disappointed by Rive Gauche's opening. I didn't find the Anise note too pleasant, and I immediately wanted to resell the bottle. However, RG is one of those fragrances which changes significantly during the drydown, and now I must say I am in awe of another one of YSL's greats. The smell becomes less offensive to my nose, and gives off a distinctly comforting vibe. Over the 10 hours I've owned it I've felt like "the man", knowing that what I'm wearing is classier than everybody elses' synthetic aquatics and sickly sweet second rate gourmands.

No fragrance has grown on me the way Rive Gauche has, especially in such a short amount of time. It is very versatile, very classy, very comforting.

05 June, 2011

Live Jazz by Yves Saint Laurent

I managed to order a 50ml bottle for a cool £13, and it was delivered the next day. I unboxed it, sprayed it straight onto my wrist and inhaled. I detected citrus notes, mint, and of course hints of grapefruit. I struggle to detect the scent on my own skin after about 30 minutes, but that doesn't necessarily mean that others can't smell it.

It is a fresh, versatile spring/summer scent that does not fall into the generic lemonade/aquatic category. It is very wearable and very refreshing; the mint note gives it the perfect lift, especially when it is hot.

28 April, 2011

Armani Attitude Extreme by Giorgio Armani

I first smelled this in a tiny magazine sample, and liked it so much that I went to buy a 30ml bottle. The opening is strong and sweet, but the smell can turn synthetic and sickly. While some of the notes are slightly jarring and soapy, the fragrance overall is smooth, pleasant and fairly strong. The amber, patchouli and lemon notes are the most prominent. I thought the fragrance contained vanilla, but I was wrong.

05 May, 2010