Reviews by philmcphe

philmcphe's avatar
    philmcphe

Baie Rose 26 by Le Labo

Tried this for the first time today. All I have to say is damn you Le Labo, damn you for making such a gorgeous fragrance exclusive and extremely expensive. The only city exclusive to date that I would spend the money on ($400)

02 December, 2010

Serge Noire by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido

Absolutely, incredibly and horribly foul. One of the most disgusting things I have ever smelled in my life.

19 October, 2010

Aventus by Creed

Initially I was not incredibly fond of Aventus, now I have absolutely no idea why. On my skin this turns into something that smells broodingly masculine and not sexy per se in the traditional sense, but in the sense that this fragrance seems to exude an alpha male aura. Confidence, masculinity, authority even, these are just a few adjectives I would use to describe what this fragrance absolutely oozes. I was going to get a flacon of GIT as it used to be my most used fragrance, but I think I'll be getting a flacon of this amazing fragrance instead.

22 August, 2010

Prelude to Love by By Kilian

I'm glad that after smelling and being disappointed in the rest of the By Kilian line (although A Taste of Heaven has been growing on me) I decided I would still give this last one a whirl. This fragrance smells absolutely divine to me, I imagine Aphrodite, the goddess of love wearing this fragrance. Smells incredibly refreshing and beautiful while being incredibly seductive. I would love to smell this on a beautiful woman, I might just have to give this sample to one my pretty girl friends so I can. This fragrance takes a completely different direction from any of the other By Kilian's, and I'm glad it does!

08 July, 2010

Reflection Man by Amouage

This is going to sound weird and maybe it's just my chemistry, but this really, really, smells like a corn tortilla to me. Bizarre.

21st June, 2010

Bois d'Hiver by Ayala Moriel

I like the opening of it, smells like a very old, antique wardrobe almost. Unfortunately in about twenty minutes all it smells like is cinnamon on my skin.

18 June, 2010

Espionage by Ayala Moriel

Definitely not a scent for the younger crowd. While I can recognize it is a quality fragrance I also know someone my age could never pull it off. I think this one is best for a guy in a suit that's in his forties or later. Not really sure why this is considered unisex either, I find it unabashedly masculine.

15 June, 2010

Windsor by Creed

I loooove this fragrance. Let me say I am NOT one to get caught up in false conceptions due to hype, in fact when I'm trying a scent as highly hyped as this one I smell it with the highest level of critique ready in my mind. However, when I tried this on for the first time and sniffed my wrist I immediately went "Ooooo that's beautiful". The only downside is that it has horrible sillage, I know the whole "Royalty need not shout" motto behind this fragrance, but my brother's girlfriend couldn't smell this on me when I was maybe four feet away from her, and I had just put it on twenty minutes ago! After putting on half my ml sample vial it was finally noticeable to people that were close to me, but at the price of this fragrance putting on half a milliliter for one wearing seems a little ridiculous. I'm on the list for one of the bottles that's coming out this fall and I guess really I am for myself and no one else, because I can't keep my nose off my wrist while wearing this even if others can barely smell it.

12 June, 2010

Eau d'Orange Verte by Hermès

Smells like cleaner, and the longevity is horrible. Only way I'm gonna be enjoying the rest of this sample is as a bathroom spray,

12 June, 2010

Liaisons Dangereuses by By Kilian

Probably the only By Kilian I like, very feminine in the opening, on my skin though it dries into something incredibly sensual and masculine. The kind of guy that would wear this and pull it off is the kind that has a heart shaped bed with red silk sheets on it. I have the red silk sheets and some boxers to match that I get complimented on quite often, so I guess I can justify wearing this every now and then :-p

10th June, 2010

Chergui by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido

I love this fragrance, I usually detest strong gourmand notes in something but here it's just so good and works so well with the other notes I can't help but love it. Even when I'm not wearing it for the day I can't help but take a quick whiff of the sprayer. Has excellent longevity, I easily get eight strong hours out of it on my skin and it lasts about five days on clothes. This is the only fragrance I've ever worn that I got a compliment on from a stranger. Bottled poetry is the only way I know how to sum it up, I will definitely be buying a bell jar of this once my 50ml runs out.

07 June, 2010

Cruel Intentions by By Kilian

This smells pretty nice, but I don't think I'll be buying, or wearing it again as I had two separate people comment on how I smelled like a "rich, old, woman". The associate at Saks even mentioned how even though they marketed this as a masculine fragrance, that about three quarters of the sales they have on it are to women. Maybe it just doesn't work on my skin, who knows. Definitely give it a full wearing before buying though, because I loved it on the paper.

29 May, 2010