Reviews by serafina

serafina's avatar
    serafina
    England England

Roberto Cavalli Acqua by Roberto Cavalli

Fantastic bottle. Magnificent opening accord full of majesty, dry down resembles peach shampoo.

23rd April, 2013

La Tulipe by Byredo

I really like this. It is a floral that is not too girly, or too powdery. The rhubarb keeps it fresh with a little crispness, but the freesia allows a soft and dainty feel. This is supplemented by frangipane and balanced by a warm fruitiness that reminds me of horses. Sweet, but not in a heavy ylang ylang way, not pushy like Pleasures, just clean, floral and summery - an English summer that is, which for mAny of you would seem distinctly cool and wet.

21st April, 2013 (Last Edited: 23rd April, 2013)

Molecule 01 by Escentric Molecules

I tried this in the shop. The assistant told me that the wearer would never be able to smell it, but to others it would be divine. I certainly could not smell it. Emporer's new clothes?

21st April, 2013

Fleur d'Oranger 27 by Le Labo

I find myself puzzled by the negative reviews. For me this scent evokes memories of Jericho in spring, warmth, the decoratively carved ruins of a Hasmonean palace, a softness in the air and an overarching shimmer of orange blossom. It is a light, uncomplex,still scent. Not much mystery or depth, but perfect for a spring weekend or for business when you want to seem less complicated than you are. I don't have to work at it, just be carried to something summery and warm on its breath and for that reason perhaps not a perfume buff's scent, but pleasing nevertheless.

10th March, 2012

Pomegranate Noir by Jo Malone

'Crikey, there's one helluva stench of Ajax or Vim in here' exclaimed my new best friend. And the scales fell from my eyes. Having no wish to smell like someone who cleans their own bath ( even though this is the case), I no longer wear this scent.

15th January, 2012 (Last Edited: 20th April, 2013)

Hermèssence Rose Ikebana by Hermès

To be worn when feigning innocence.

15th January, 2012 (Last Edited: 29th January, 2012)

Rose Pivoine by Nicolaï

To be worn when innocently desirable, utterly adorable and without underhand schemes. Fresh but homely.

15th January, 2012

Iris Silver Mist by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido

There is an ossuary on the Venitian Island of San Michele, which, when you open the wooden door, is light, airy, cold and brim filled with containers of bones. It smells of this.

When I first tried this scent I hated it. It smelled of sadness, darkness, mourning and death.

Now I treasure my bell jar of Iris Silver Mist. Sometimes I wish to carry this scent with me all day, to feel the coolth of sadness and the remoteness of death. Sometimes, I use it to succour my inner strength before riding out on my daily quest dressed, perhaps, in something easier to wear.

For me, this is more than a scent. It is a meditation and I am happier and stronger for it.

15th January, 2012

Gypsy Water by Byredo

Them gypsies sure ate a load of celery before they made water.

01st April, 2011

Baume Du Doge by Eau d'Italie

This starts really well. A smokey incense and softer less boozey version of Dzongka. Resin, cinnamon and woods, I was in heaven. However within half an hour it became toothpaste. Herbal toothpaste to be sure, with plenty of cloves, but stubbornly minty and seriously unsexy. Not for me, this one.

19th February, 2011

Iris Poudre by Editions de Parfums Frederic Malle

Dame Barbara Cartland, step grandmother to the Diana princess of Wales might have worn this. I would not. Far too powdery, floral, pink and old lady for me.

25th January, 2011