Reviews by almasinti

almasinti's avatar
    almasinti

07 Tanoke by Odin New York

Cue 'O fortuna" from Carmina Burana:

Like a movie preview - "In a world increasing populated by churchy incense fragrances, the battle is on! Who will be the winner? Who will be crowned incense king!?" Zoom to bottles of perfume advancing on each other threateningly...

Sorry. Let my mind wander a bit.

I will leave it to better noses than I to tease out the nuances of this fragrance. For me, this is another straight frankincense type fragrance. I am not sure why another needs to be on the market...I suppose if you are an Odin fan, this is the one you would pick. Surely one only needs a single fragrance of this sort as there are many others, Jubilation XXV, for example, with greater complexity.

A quality fragrance. If I felt this was more original and head turning, then, fine...thumbs up. But it's not.

04 April, 2012

06 Amanu by Odin New York

I like this. Maybe should be a thumbs up. It just seems so familiar. The orange/jasmine of Varvatos Artisan. The leafy, sappy greenness of - is it Philosykos or Eau de Lierre by Diptyque?
    The buttery dry down and light touch of woods, herbs and amber and musk.

Not really original. not really a unified composition. A bit too delicate for an EdP. I wish I was spraying it on rather than dabbing on a sample, there may be more to this than I am noting.

20th February, 2012

A Taste of Heaven by By Kilian

A pleasant, honeyed lavender scent. There is a disarming sameness about the fragrance though, a lack of evolution, which makes it feel synthetic to me, even though I know it is a well made, quality fragrance. And it lasts an eternity, not always a good thing when there is no development over time. Honey, hay, vanilla, rose, amber. Definitely worth trying, just not something I love.

28 January, 2012

Back to Black by By Kilian

Back to Black is not one of the most complex of BK's fragrances but it is addictive.

Opening with a Dr pepper soaked tobacco splash, the Dr Pepper mellows to a cherry tobacco accord. There are light touches of honey and vanilla. Having had chamomile tea with honey before, I know how the two complement each other - perhaps the accord is there, though I don't get the flowery, grassy quality of the chamomile...eh, maybe a hint. Any man would have to assess this fragrance carefully to see if it is masculine enough - it is fairly sweet. All I know is I like smelling it. Not sure i would be comfortable having this emanating from me in public though. Definitely worth a thorough sampling.

22 January, 2012

Aoud Lime by Montale

The scent of a fresh lime is one of the great smells. The smell of cheap lime aftershave, not so great. If there is any way in which lime is represented in this scent it might be a resemblance here and there to the cheap aftershave. There is certainly none of the freshness and succulence of a fresh lime. So what's the lime thing all about? Of course this is from a (great) company that named another scent Chocolate Greedy.

As for the aoud, I like Indian food. There is a chutney that is put on the table at many restaurants. Its is dark brown, always has 1/2 of some sort of fruit in it which is inedible and has hard skin.The chutney is salty, sour and pungent and aromatic. Perhaps it is some sort of tamarind concoction. Anyway, this stuff - the aoud - smells much like the chutney.

Then it turns to rose. I do detect some patchouly I believe, but mostly aoud and rose. I don't care for the aoud/rose accord, though I know it is a favorite in some parts of the world.

Well made for what it is. I would never be caught dead smelling like this.

12 January, 2012

Gris Clair by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido

I first tried this in summer and found that it started out clean and fresh, in a lavender sort of way, but became annoying after awhile. Applying in cooler weather, I liked it better - an opening of honey and tonka bean with crisp lavender. As it dries down, amber becomes lightly apparent, lending fullness and depth. Then there is an odd accord, sort of a pulpy wood/ wool sweater aspect. Don't care for this And there is noticeable incense, well in the background. I definitely think this is a cool weather lavender. Like most of the SL fragrances I have tried, I like it quite a bit, but not enough to own it.

19 December, 2011

Italian Cypress by Tom Ford

Another Christmas candle! This really reminds me of Micaleff/Nejman Le Seducteur. A sweet, spicy green fragrance, redolent with conifer needles and boughs - pine, cypress - whatever.

I think it smells great, quality ingredients, decent longevity. I would prefer a more dry, astringent conifer scent, but this is worth trying. Would be an interesting comparison with Le Seducteur.

15 December, 2011

Comme des Garçons 2 Man by Comme des Garçons

I have owned this for some time, but hardly ever find an occasion to wear it. To me, it is a cold, somewhat unfriendly scent. How to explain? Well, I am not a huge cumin fan and I like my vetiver to be gentle. This contains a fistful of vetiver and more than enough cumin to crinkle my nose. Then the incense aspect is totally synthetic - a CDG trademark, perhaps - but it always tends to harden a fragrance. I think that when most people use the term synthetic - considering that most fragrances are heavily synthetic, they are actually referring to a lack of warmth. While this may be appropriate in some instances, it just seems creepy here. Compare to the incense in Micaleff''s Shanaan for example (very warm, IMO) . Somewhat comically, as well, I get weird associations with sausage at times, from the smokiness. Weird, synthetic sausage?!

So why did I buy it? It does somehow come together as a scent - if you can avoid over applying it. And, it gets better as it dries down. It is edgy, if you are looking for that effect. So a neutral 'cause I must have liked it at one time. Funny, maybe some day I will enjoy it again.

15 December, 2011

Idole de Lubin by Lubin

I kind of like the opening, when the bright boozy, spiciness first hits. Its is an attention getter. I get clove and cumin, not sure what the exotic quality generates from but it does feel tropical somehow, humid, deep tropical shade...

It settles into a more woody sandalwood and spices - fading rather quickly to a skin scent. Accomplished, but just not my kind of scent and the spices go sour on me after awhile.

07 December, 2011

Frapin 1270 by Frapin

I love this scent, though it is seems very familiar. It smells like a hot toddy of brandy, steeped with vanilla , raisins, dates and other fruits and nuts...served up in a wooden mug. Perhaps, however, vanilla is to perfume what butter and cream are to chefs. A delicious amplifier that makes most things better - but that can become a cheap trick. Maybe this would be better with a little less vanilla. After much thought about purchasing this, I have decided it is too feminine to be worn by me. Nice strength and longevity, though.

29 November, 2011

Seducteur by Martine Micallef

I must have missed the memo telling me that smelling like a Christmas candle is seductive. This is a nice scent but "the seducer" is a big name to live up to. To me it's pine and, I believe they call the candles 'bayberry' - a green herbal concoction. If it dried down and got buttery or ambery, I would find this warmer and more personal. As is, it has a room freshener thing going on, and thus, the neutral rating. Good longevity, linear, green. It holiday season as I write this, if you want to sample, now would be the time... You will fit right in.

19 November, 2011

A Quiet Morning by Miller et Bertaux

I like this alot and agree with the substance of foetidus' rating. This is an exotic wood scent, with a headshop/meditative vibe to it. But not a hippy patchouli scent at all. Sandalwood and cedar finally, gently sweet and smoky and totally unisex.

18 November, 2011

1740 Marquis de Sade by Histoires de Parfums

Opens with a boozy, pipe humidor combo. Cumin, smoke and cedar follow, with a funky, sweaty aspect - a nod to the Marquis? Dry down develops a light note of sweet hay and also dried fruits and honey. I like this but it never really comes together for me as a wearable scent.

11th October, 2011

Tubereuse 3 L’Animale by Histoires de Parfums

Do I like masculine florals? Generally, no. Tuberose? Too feminine. But, I gotta say, I like this a lot. Very floral at the front, there is a robust quality that keeps if from going too far to the femme side. Perhaps, it is leather, not sure. As this dries down, it develops more and more of a honeyed, hay/tobacco accord that is lovely, almost gourmand and suitable for a man. I find that the tuberose transitions to the hay/tobacco without there ever being a time when they truly compliment each other as a single scent. Its almost like there are two different scents...have I noticed this in HdP fragrances before? Regardless, this is definitely worth trying.

10th October, 2011

Costes by Hôtel Costes

I love the smooth and delicate wood/incense background of this scent. However, I do not like rose scents. This smells like rose potpourri. Once I smell that, the fragrance becomes rose, rose, rose, and I cannot get past it...Also, for me rose is not a masculine scent and if I wore this in public, I would be looking over my shoulder all the time to see is anybody was staring at me - "what's with that guy and the roses?" Silly but true. Too bad, it is a nice scent, thumbs up for women and guys less insecure than me.

10th October, 2011

l'eau de parfum #3 green, green, green and green by Miller et Bertaux

A great green scent in the manner of Mugler Cologne and Creed OV. Smooth and long lasting. Definitely worth a side by side comparison with the other two. Nicely accented with woods and vetiver to add depth to the sappy, grassy, laurel character.

30th September, 2011

Lyric Man by Amouage

Lyric's background is a familiar and gorgeous blend of woods, incense and herbs and spices which say Amouage loudly. Where I am tripped up is the rose...Rose dominates and after drydown, where some of the herbal brightness burns off, I only smell the floral rose note unless I press my nose close to my skin - where I can still detect the beautiful woods/incense accord. I do not like rose scents, as a rule. I also find this fragrance turns to far to the feminine side for me. Hard to not say thumbs up though.

30th September, 2011

Carnal Flower by Editions de Parfums Frederic Malle

I am not a great judge of women's fragrances for sure. But I did check this out because it seemed so intriguing. First observation. A few drops on the back of my hand has me coughing and asthmatic. Second, I cannot fathom how anyone would find this a suitable fragrance for a man. Third, there is a suntan lotion vibe here, mostly because of the coconut,undoubtedly.

Otherwise, I find this to be an amazingly potent, sweet, luxurious, but 2 note fragrance. It could be quite beautiful applied lightly and gently wafting off the skin of a beautiful woman. Because it is so purely floral and sweet, it is subject to over application, I would bet. Not sure how sexy I really find it. I need to sneak some onto an unsuspecting woman and see what I think. It is probably too floral for the women in my life.

20th August, 2011

Wonderwood by Comme des Garçons

If you like a woodsy fragrance to smell of the actual woods, deep, damp, smoky, fertile, mossy...than this is not for you. Wonderwood is a nice peppery mix of cedar and tropical hardwoods. It is like a lumberyard with planks of sawn fine woods for furniture or instrument making, No earthiness here. It is also rather sweet. This would all be well and good except that there is what I take to be musk in this. Way too much musk. For me, it feminizes and to some degree cheapens the scent, and thus, the neutral rating.

20th August, 2011

Shanaan by Martine Micallef

Amazingly smoky and authentic incense smell. The opening is bright and crisp with cedar and citrus, but almost immediately settles into a long lasting, awesome frankincense. Maybe there is a touch of vanilla/labdanum rounding things out...incense just so dominant. Top notch ingredients. Do I want to go around smelling like this? Not so sure. I like it nonetheless.

02 July, 2011

L'Être Aimé Homme by Divine

I think I start virtually all my reviews with the comment "I don't know what ... smells like." Not the best advertisement for my abilities as a reviewer, but hey, I either like it or I don't. So anyway, I don't really know what immortelle is supposed to smell like. This scent opens with a hint of classic masculine - bergamot/lavendar. This is pushed into an edgy modern context by something very resinous and unfamiliar. Perhaps it is the immortelle. Within minutes I get a salty, brothy quality which I have found in a number of variations in several different scents. Sir Slarty refers to it as chicken soup. I think more of tamari soy sauce, but I think it is actually celery seed. As a Chicago guy, I am familiar with the whole celery salt on your hot dogs thing and sure enough, the drydown has that celery salt element. This saltiness is persistent throughout the life of the scent and unltimately, for me is its undoing. Just not a pretty scent. However, as this stuff dries down, the nice amber, wood and patchouly qualities recognizable from L'homme Sage appear and provide some elegance. The incense of L'homme sage is not here though, and the celery vibe is not a good replacement. Likeable, definitely a try before you buy. If you don't like L'homme Sage, you probably would be wasting your time with this.

17 April, 2011

Original Vetiver by Creed

Everything has been said about this fragrance, so I will keep my humble comments to a minimum. I am not a vetiveraholic so powerhouse vetivers like Encre Noire don't really appeal to me. Original Vetiver barely qualifies as a vetiver fragrance since it is so thoroughly dominated by its green, soapy qualities. But is a wonderful green fragrance, clean and very smooth, thanks to the familiar Creed style base - which meets its perfect match in OV's soapy assertiveness. I did a 180 on this one. It was my least favorite the first time I sampled Creeds. I almost washed it off, I found it so soapy and astringent. For whatever reasons, I now think it is my favorite Creed and the kind of scent that could easily become a signature scent.

06 April, 2011

Mazzolari Mazzolari by Mazzolari

This goes on strong and green. Crushed leaves, stems, sap - various herbs - perhaps bay, sage, mint or others. This subsides leaving a resinous evergreen - juniper or galbanum, as it dries down. I don't get any vetiver or citrus in this. It is woody in a subtle way, though I don't really think sandalwood. I do get a salty, brothy quality as it dries down giving it a savory, oddly foody element. There is also a classic men's cologne quality to it - and it is ultimately masculine as all get-out, but not particularly sensuous, in my opinion. Thumbs up, it is classy, but, I don't think it suits me.

04 April, 2011

parfums*PARFUMS Series 2 Red: Sequoia by Comme des Garçons

I don't really know what sequoia smells like but this has a definite resinous, coniferous quality. It smells fine but I do not feel that it is a smell to be worn as a personal scent. It has no warmth or personality, and is one dimensional. It also lasts on clothes 24 hours or more, but wears short on the nose, i.e. I got tired of smelling it quickly. Whatever else is in this adds sweetness and depth, but no real personality. It is one-dimensional and does not evolve.

27 March, 2011

Cuir Ottoman by Parfum d'Empire

This opens with a tannery strength leather burst, which includes a chemical/plastic smell that is not particularly appealing but enhances the feel of authentic, freshly made leather, still off-gassing its chemical components. Amber thickens the scent trail, like butter opening the flavors of food, making the scent very rich. There is a lightly floral and incense component which hangs around and as the leather scent settles down, this becomes a very satisfying fragrance. If you like leather, this is definitely worth trying.

15 March, 2011

Cashmere for Men by Cristiano Fissore

Another cedar scent. I am not sure this would be able to replace other cedar scents in anyone's mind. Nonetheless, it is a smooth gentle, but peppery cedar/amber combination, subtly green, with a hint of patchouly, that is very nice. It fades too quickly based on my sample. Worth a try if you like gentle skin scents.

05 March, 2011

Private Collection - Bois Blond by Parfumerie Generale

This is listed as an EDP I believe, but it is neither concentrated nor long lasting, though perhaps I applied my sample too lightly. It is a pleasant enough fragrance. Something in it reminds me of Penhaligons Elixir and Costes 1 . At first I thought there was some rose hiding in here somewhere. But probably not. It is a sweetened light amber/cedar with cinnamon and/or other spices thrown in. Very sweet, perhaps dandyish for a man to wear, but mellow. Not my thing really. I do not get anything unpleasant from this, unlike some other reviewers. I just wouldn't wear it. Worth trying, I guess, it just doesn't excite me in any way.

03 March, 2011

Jaïpur Homme by Boucheron

I would give this a thumbs up but some days, I put it on and within a short time, I realize what a mistake it is and that I am stuck all day smelling this when I don't want to. A very strong and long lasting fragrance, I find it is most pleasant when it is applied very lightly. Otherwise, it is overwhelming. Don't spray your neck or you will be choking on this stuff all day. Women do like it, though, I have to say.

Floral, spicy (clove, cinnamon, licorice, cardamom), fruity (lemon/lime) in only a very sweetened sort of way - perhaps the fragrance would open up some with a more acidic, citrus bite. The blending is very thorough and I find no element dominating. Vanillic, soapy, mostly linear with no real evolution other than a mellowing over time.

I own this, I do like it. But as I say, at times, I cannot stand it. Go figure.

03 March, 2011

Chêne by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido

Wow. I got a sample of this and when I tried it, I thought, "oak? I can't actually remember smelling a piece of oak, but this does not smell woody to me at all. is it me?" I struggled with this for awhile, knowing that I have pretty poor "sniffing" skills and was probably just missing something. Then one day - it was October - I went for a walk in my neighborhood. As I walked along, smelling the Autumn air and shuffling my feet through piles of leaves along the curb, it suddenly hit me. This smells incredibly much like a damp, earthy, oak forest, with leaves covering the ground and acorns strewn about. Magnificently evocative and like nothing I have ever smelled. I am not so sure others will appreciate the smell on me, but I would wear this one just for myself. Long lasting and high quality stuff.

20th February, 2011

Chergui by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido

Beautiful scent which I was instantly drawn to, though I am still not convinced that it is masculine enough for me. It really does smell like a late summer day, when the grasses are turning brown and the seed-heads wave in the warm breeze. There is a strong honey element, and a yeasty fullness like fresh-baked bread. So is it a gourmand fragrance? I just know it smells so good I want to eat it. I have not smelled it on another person but I think it would be wonderfully warming on a woman. I still linger though, should I really smell like this?

20th February, 2011