Reviews by Ronald

Scuderia Ferrari Extreme by Ferrari

Nothing special here. A drier version of Façonnable Stripe, sharing the bergamot top note, nutmeg middle note, and musk base note. I prefer the Façonnable, although the Ferrari Extreme might work a bit better in cool weather.

02nd October, 2011

Porsche Design Essence by Porsche

I'm with those who find this quite nice. It reminds me of High... by Patrick Cox, and somewhat of Horizon by Guy Laroche - black pepper, patchouli, woody fresh. I could care less if it comes from Porsche Design - I won't hold that against it, or for it. I don't get the ferocity of the "hating" on this one - even if it's not your thing, it's in no way horrible. Perhaps if it were from a somewhat less "aspirational" brand it would get a fairer shake.

07th October, 2009

Lyric Man by Amouage

An interesting, subtle composition with nice top notes that dries down into something too feminine for me. I've got the Amouage men's sampler and am wearing it right now, and I keep getting hits of some sort of vaginal aroma - not that I mind that smell at all, in other circumstances... this seems to be a more unisex-tending-towards-feminine fragrance. Not bad, but I'll pass on it.

14th July, 2009

Derring-Do for Men by Ineke

Got a sample of this and am unimpressed as it is way too light. The "rain notes" are nice, but extremely fleeting, as is the fougere. It dries down very quickly and is basically gone within about two hours. It could be that my skin chemistry is incompatible with this one, but I expected more.

21st November, 2007

Tiffany for Men by Tiffany

I'm not normally an Oriental kind of guy, but this one works for me. Got it as a gift, and the first thing that came to mind upon smelling it was its similarity to Pasha de Cartier - so I compared the pyramids and see that they share the oakmoss, sandalwood and patchouli basenotes. My same comments apply to Tiffany as Pasha - chicks dig it more than I do, but I dig it, too. Longevity is off the charts - it's still there a day later. Thumbs up!

21st November, 2007

parfums*PARFUMS Series 6 Synthetic: Garage by Comme des Garçons

I'd consider this a more palatable version of SMN's Nostalgia - at least it doesn't dry down powdery like that one does. Still, it's a bit of a gimmick - the garage/industrial notes are in there, but not in any real striking sense. It's actually pretty mild stuff compared to CdG's "Odeurs" 53 and 71, and I can't really think of any situation that would call for this one. It has little sillage and weak staying power.

Infusion by Bombay Sapphire

Great stuff. It does smell like the gin (my all-time favorite), and is pleasantly "dry". The juniper is dominant. It has fine sillage and nice staying power, too. I've had people ask me what I was wearing several times with this one - bought myself three bottles on eBay as it is almost impossible to find these days. Bring it back!

parfums*PARFUMS Series 3 Incense: Avignon by Comme des Garçons

Good stuff - church indeed. The first thing that came to my mind in terms of comparisons is, strangely enough, Chanel's Platinum Egoiste, although it also bears resemblance to CdG 2 Man in terms of the smoke. Avignon shouldn't work well in warm weather, but surprisingly, it isn't bad at all in the heat, although I'd imagine that it must be a bit better in cool weather. Morrissey is said to wear it, and has it sprayed on the stage before performing... seems appropriate.

Hugo by Hugo Boss

One of my very first forays into the fragrance world, and I'll always have a soft spot reserved for this one, along with Tommy. It's a guilty pleasure for those of us who are probably quite a bit too old to wear it "appropriately" any longer, but I really like it a lot - who cares if it's common?! Rock on, Hugo!

Mugler Cologne by Thierry Mugler

Synthetic in a nice way, with lime and ozone notes combined in a laundry detergent and "sparkling" champagne-esque composition. Great for hot weather. Staying power is weak.

Dzing! by L'Artisan Parfumeur

I like it. Mildly. I get an immediate smokey accord that reminds me strongly of CdG 2Man. This is followed by a dryish kettlecorn note and a bit of leather. I don't get any of the allegedly "animalic" stuff. If you've ever used power tools and know the smell of the contact between hot spinning metal and fresh wood, then you've probably got a reasonably accurate idea of what this one smells like.

11th April, 2007

Garrigue by Maître Parfumeur et Gantier

I refer to this one as "niche-designer" since it smells like a high-quality fougère that, were it bottled and marketed differently, could easily become a huge hit with the middle-brow fragrance demographic. The bergamot and musk are great here with topnotes from a variety of the aromatic shrubs of the Mediterranean scrublands for which it is named. Goes excellent in warm, humid weather. Cool Water for the cognoscenti.

04th April, 2007

Blenheim Bouquet by Penhaligon's

Reputation seems to exceed reality on this one. It's strange how something that's so citrusy on the opening can become so extremely dry at the base. I get some leather notes at the midway point, but at this time, several hours after applying, it has a dry woody iris smell that is like a masculine version of Bois d'Iris from the Different Company. Although this is an interesting composition, it's not what I expected, and definitely not for me.

04th April, 2007

Purple Label by Ralph Lauren

One of those fragrances that smell like they'd taste great if you could drink them. If only it had more staying power! Great for warm weather. First leaves and berries, then herbs and tobacco, and finally into the weak wood, moss and musk that is barely detectable. A concentrée version is in order... that'd be a real winner.

Comme des Garçons 3 by Comme des Garçons

I like it a lot, it's my favorite CdG so far and I've tried many of them. It's synthetic, for sure -- but in a modern, minimalist sort of way -- and that's a plus in this case. Great for hot weather. Smells like something the Bauhaus school would come up with if they did fragrances.

Vetiver by Guerlain

I see why people like it; it's sort of an archetype fragrance -- classic, old school fresh and green, what people who aren't into fragrances might think of when trying to imagine a "classic". Alas, my opinion is biased as I compare it to other vetivers (MPG's Route de Vetiver is my favorite, Creed's new one is next) that I tried before really giving Guerlain's classic version a serious go. In comparison, this one is very light and stays extremely close to the skin on me. It's green and somewhat organic, but not as good as I had expected. 3 out of 5 stars.

Royal Water by Creed

Pleasantly unisex. I have to disagree with those who say that it's too feminine to be unisex -- I haven't smelled it on a woman, but it's definitely fine for guys. It must be the bergamot that does it for me, because I seem to end up liking anything that contains it. This one is quite fresh, and just when you think it's going to get a bit too feminine, the musk kicks in and makes it work. Has some similarities with Santa Maria Novella's Colonia Russa I believe.

Green Irish Tweed by Creed

Excellent stuff. Classy indeed. I always keep a bottle on hand, as it works well in most social situations and most climates, including the warmer ones. It seems to vary a bit from "vintage" to "vintage" in terms of concentration and/or the ratio of components as I've had bottles that seemed to have different "emphases" in the composition, and some that had great staying power while others faded rather quickly. It must be the "Tweed" in the name and the Cary Grant connection, but it has a sort of sartorial aura about it that I reflexively associate with those cool old black-and-white movies from the late 50's and early 60's. Thumbs up.

Façonnable Stripe by Façonnable

Got this as a gift recently and quite like it. Supposedly it has something to do with Façonnable getting in touch with their roots on the French Riviera, so I can see where they are going with some of the aquatic notes here. Nothing especially spectacular, yet nice for daytime and office wear. There's a sort of saltiness in there that reminds me of the more "high-seas" marine scents like Erolfa and Vintage Yachting Co., but this time around it's in more of a contemporary young-ish base that's slightly musky at the same time. Fresh, spicy and woodsy? Yep. I can see all of those, too.

Boss Number One by Hugo Boss

Very "80's"? Definitely. In fact, it's the signature scent of a friend of mine who is sort of stuck in that decade. It's also excellent stuff - I picked up a 3.4oz bottle for $20 at a drugstore recently based upon the pleasing sillage and don't regret it a bit. If you like scents like Azzaro PH, you should really like this one which is a bit more luxurious.

Azzaro pour Homme by Azzaro

I picked up a bottle of this based on several Basenotes reviews and must say that it's not bad at all. Comes very cheap at the drugstore and has a real presence. Sort of an "in-between- drugstore-and-department-store" scent. I definitely get the anise note quite loudly, and the drydown is subtle, yet "thick", with good sillage and longevity. Perhaps not on the same level of sophistication as some of the scents that it's similar to like Tuscany, Boss Number One, or A&F Woods, but better than most scents in its market niche.

Aramis by Aramis

A classic deserving of respect. Manly and in-your-face. Very non-PC. I keep at least a small 1oz bottle in the wardrobe at all times. I've never heard a female say anything bad about it - though it does get plenty of compliments. Smells like a cologne should. One of the few to ever be mentioned by name in a motion picture - see "Black and White" for a hilarious Aramis mention.

Silver Cristal Men by Amouage

I agree with IPaidForThisName - this is the heaviest and roughest Amouage, and therefore, I would say, the best. I can't take Gold or Dia, as they smell to way too feminine to me. Silver is ok, but Silver Cristal cranks the animalic note way up and has a heavier and more complex base. It also has great staying power and sillage.

Aramis 900 by Aramis

An interesting chypre teetering on the precipice of orientaldom. "Dry floral" and "masculine floral" are indeed apt descriptions. The rose note is quite prominent - a whiff of fragrant moisture in an otherwise herbal desert-esque base. Smells like something straight out of a fragrance house on an oasis in the Arabian peninsula, although it seems to work quite well in a variety of climatalogical circumstances. Probably not as scarce as some fear... I found a plentiful supply at a local Dillard's. Doesn't have the best designed packaging, but it does look very apropos to its 1973 release. I give it a retro thumbs up.

13th March, 2007

Z by Ermenegildo Zegna

Smelled really good on the magazine sample so I ordered a bottle and am somewhat dissapointed to find that it smells almost exactly like Echo by Davidoff which I already own. Not bad, has decent staying power, but nothing special.

09th October, 2006

Eau Sublime by Rancé

Outstanding. This is something like a female version of Creed Erolfa! An extremely worthy addition to any lady's wardrobe, but particularly those who live in warmer climes. The ingredient list includes: Mandarin, Lily of the Valley, White Musk, Neroli, Lilac, Myrtle, Florence Iris, Hyacinth, and Lime. Great stuff!

14th March, 2006

A*Men / Angel Men by Thierry Mugler

You're kidding, right?! This has got to be some sort of sick joke - absolutely horrendous! It sucks the oxygen out of a room and practically brings people to their knees. Smells like ultra-sweet chocolate exhaust fumes, like what might happen if you poured cocoa powder into your car's heating system and sat inside with the heater running on full-blast and the windows all rolled up. Splendidly offensive! Aggressively wretched! If this one hasn't sent lots of people with scent or chocolate allergies to the emergency room, I'd be very, very, surprised.

14th February, 2006

Givenchy pour Homme Blue Label by Givenchy

Nice stuff. Unlike one of the previous reviewers, though, I prefer the regular (red bottle) version to this one. Good staying power. Has similarities to Bvlgari Aqva and AdG that the regular version doesn't exhibit.

13th February, 2006

Aramis Life by Aramis

Less than mediocre. I agree with the previous reviewer who called this one "rubbish". Smells of cheap sticky fruit, and has little to no development. Try before you buy. I gave my bottle away after a day.

14th December, 2005

Marc Jacobs for Men by Marc Jacobs

Shockingly mediocre. Drydown smells like cheap soap. Don't know why they bothered with this one. The rest of my sample vial is going in the trash.

09th December, 2005