Reviews by RoseAmber

Angel by Thierry Mugler

I've tried and tried to wear this, but it just doesn't work. Instead of the rich, sweet, heady fragrance others get with Angel, I smell like rotten melon preserved in cheap patchouli. My sister's signature fragrance for many years has been Angel, and I never tire of how lovely it smells on her. It smells like vanilla, chocolate, and caramel on a base of woods with just a hint of flowers. Many wearers of Angel seem to apply too much, and this really ruins the fragrance, as it becomes sharp and pungent.

16 August, 2005

Mitsouko by Guerlain

I love to smell Mitsouko. I have a tiny parfum, and I take it out to sniff it every now and then. But I cannot wear Mitsouko. It's beautiful, but it creates a dark and withdrawn mood that I don't have time to deal with. Someday I want to take time to write poetry again, and then I'll actually wear Mitsouko and let it influence my thoughts. This is the fragrance of Changelings wandering in mossy forests at twilight. It takes you with it into its hauntings.

16 August, 2005

Promesse by Cacharel

Promesse reminds me of Hanae Mori Butterfly. Initially it's fruity but the sandalwood and cedar save this from being too sweet. This is no Anais Anais, but it will probably sell well, because the current fragrance market seems to have an insatiable taste for fresh and fruity scents. I truly cannot fathom wearing this as a bride, though. It's not at all in line with my visions of romance. This is the type of fragrance one can wear in a crowded office and be fairly sure no one is going to complain about it.

15 August, 2005

Spark for Women by Liz Claiborne

Sparks reminds me quite a bit of Obsession, which I love. LizClaiborne.com claims that Spark is the "elixer of love. A sensual blend of rose petals, champagne, caramel honey and exotic orchids wrapped up with warm woods." I definitely smell caramel honey notes beneath powdery gentle rose, and the whole thing seems enveloped in white vanilla. The "champagne" notes, to me, are evoked but not definitely smelled. This is sweeter than Obsession, but really very much like it on my skin. Those who like Sheer Obsession, or Organza Indecence, will enjoy Spark. For the price, it cannot be beat - it's a very enjoyable, warm, long-lasting fragrance.

15 August, 2005 (Last Edited: 16 August, 2005)

Flowerbomb by Viktor & Rolf

I fell for this upon first sniff. It reminded me of a sweet Allure at first, but now it's become an amazing and unique fragrance. This isn't like Coco Mlle on me in the least (nothing against CM, which I love as well); it smells like light citrus-florals and powdery vanilla with the slightest hints of sweet musk and patchouli. It smells elegant and evokes being pampered at a spa in the morning and wearing jewels at night. It beautiful. I would guess that lovers of Allure would like this as well. Flowerbomb is a fragrance that makes me want to get body wash and lotion so I can lavish myself in this scent!

05 August, 2005

Blush by Marc Jacobs

This is the truest jasmine I've ever worn and it doesn't turn sweet, but stays fresh and heady. Others have commented upon the similarity of Blush and Kate Spade, and I definitely see this. But Kate Spade has unmistakable gardenia notes, and Blush is jasmine to the core. I've been searching for a jasmine fragrance that makes me feel like I'm standing next to blooming jasmine, and this is it!

05 August, 2005

Gloria by Cacharel

Gloria is a warm seductive blend of hibiscus, Rosa Damascena, Malagasy white pepper, grey amber, vanilla, cedarwood, and Amaretto. It's the perfect fragrance for a romantic evening by a fireplace. The amaretto note makes this fragrance unique and so attractive.

03 August, 2005

Allure Eau de Parfum by Chanel

Allure is one of the sexiest, most beautiful scents in the world. It has perfect vetiver-vanilla warmth, with just enough feminine powdery notes to make it good for day or night wear, elegant wear, or casual wear.

Parfum d'Été by Kenzo

The bottle is silly (but pretty), takes up too much room, and is constantly covered with smudged fingerprints; but the fragrance is so worth it. Parfum d'Ete smells like a fresh summer breeze with jasmine, peach, and green leaves. This is one of the lovliest summer scents to me because it is distinct and original, yet very wearable. It's been a fragrance wardrobe staple the last 4 years, and I'm still enjoying this heady-yet-fresh fragrance.

Noa by Cacharel

I cannot imagine why this fragrance isn't dazzlingly popular. It's gorgeous - you just want to melt into your own skin when wearing this. It's a chypre with a delicate touch, and there's a bohemian feel in the coffee-like and gentle patchouli notes that makes Noa anything but simple or ordinary.

Anaïs Anaïs by Cacharel

Named for one of the most sensual and hypnotic writers of the 20th Century, Anais Nin, Anais Anais is a romantic, feminine, and utterly beautiful fragrance. It is crisp and flowery in its top notes, and conjures the delicacy of white lace and just-picked summer flowers. The drydown has warm cedar notes that evoke an attic in a Victorian house on a humid summer day. This fragrance is One Of A Kind, and I believe it will live in our olfactory hall of fame with Chanel No. 5, Quelques Fleurs, Opium, Angel, and other perfumes that rocked the sensory world. Judy Chicago wrote: "History has not been kind to Anaïs Nin. Within a year of her death, Cacharel produced a perfume called "Anaïs Anaïs," as if all that was left of her life and work was the exotic odor of a memory." But I disagree with this negativity. I think Cacharel was honoring the memory of Anais Nin by immortalizing her with a fragrance.

Brit Red by Burberry

Why does Red have to be a limited edition? It's a deep, sexy, spicy rose fragrance, and it feels warm. The Gingerbread- Patchouli-Benzoin-Vanilla-Sandalwood base is utterly irresistible to me. Brit Red is a must-try for those who love Boucheron, Ginestet Botrytis, Chanel Bois des Iles, JPG Classique, and Sage Jade!

Cinéma by Yves Saint Laurent

Cinema isn't unusual in that there are many fragrances on the market with similar notes; but this serves as proof that this type of fragrance brings enjoyment to a lot of people, (and sells well). Cinema is a light, flowery, feminine clementine-jasmine-vanilla-musk blend (like hundreds of other fragrances), that doesn't get too strong or powdery. It's a pretty fragrance that can be worn just about anywhere without fear of offending anyone or being sued. As an artsy composition, no, it's not Opium or Paris, but it's a reasonably priced very wearable fragrance that smells lovely and fresh. My older son says it smells "kind of like candy." I don't smell even a hint of amber in Cinema - it's a clean floral with a tinge of vanilla.

Apparition by Ungaro

While I love the bottle with its interesting colored squares and slightly twisted shape, it does not fit the liquid inside. The bottle makes me think of Rothko, and this fragrance makes me think of Matisse. The name, Apparition, however, does fit this warm and mysterious woody-oriental fragrance. When first sprayed, it smells of rich Chambord Liqueur but it warms into a woodsy soft floral with a fabulous raspberry-patchouli drydown. This fragrance is uplifting to me, and I love to repeatedly sniff it on my skin. The lasting power is quite good, as is any patchouli-based fragrance on me. This is a unique one - not an "Angel" or "Happy" knock-off! Lovely and unusual. Those who love Hanae Mori Butterfly will probably love this as well.

Armani Mania for Women by Giorgio Armani

Mania is a warm, romantic, woodsy fragrance. My husband was immediately attracted to it because it is clean yet sexy. For some reason, I love the name "Mania" , but it doesn't suit the mood of this "new version" of the Mania fragrance. It did suit the original darkly spicy Mania (2002), but this review is for the "reformulation" of Mania (2004). I don't understand why Armani didn't just give the Mania 2004 fragrance its own name? I suppose there are hints of the original Mania in this blend, as it is a mysterious sandalwood-amber-vanilla fragrance, but its overall personality is strikingly different. Fortunately, I much prefer the new Mania. To my nose, two differences in the fragrance are that the saffron and the vetiver present in Mania 2002 are now gone. The older version became too masculine for my chemistry, and it was a dark, esoteric George Sand/Arabie-type Oriental. The new Mania is brighter, prettier, and has a Bay-leaf accord that brightens the heavy wood notes. Mania smells like a light version of JPG Classique (minus the rum and rose). Mania (2004) is a very feminine fragrance that warms into sensuality, yet is comfortable enough for daytime wear. Its staying power is incredible on me, and it lasts through washings on my clothing. I highly recommend this for lovers of amber-vanilla fragrances.

Poupée by Rochas

This is the epitome of the summer floral of fragrance lovers' dreams. It's perfect. I don't know why I love PoupÈe, because it's everything I usually avoid in fragrance: it's a HEADY floral and the gardenia notes are pronounced. PoupÈe has rich, heavy orange blossom, smooth jasmine, and sweet gardenia notes. On my skin, I do not detect pineapple or hazelnut or anything other than strong, pure florals. There is no synthetic feel to this fragrance; it smells like perfectly fresh, huge flowers. If I sprayed this heavily it would knock me into unconsciousness, I fear, or, worse, give me a migraine...yet...this fragrance is fabulously uplifting and smells amazingly beautiful. This is a fragrance that would stop me in my tracks and search for the fresh blossoms that I'd assume were surrounding me, if I didn't know that heavenly aroma was coming from my own skin.

Lipstick Rose by Editions de Parfums Frederic Malle

This is a pretty scent, but completely wrong for my personaltiy. It's not something I can sniff all day and feel comfortable in. It reminds me of garish, unnatural makeup - bright pink lipstick and painted-on eyebrows(circa 1950s)...which works for some people, but not me. Lipstick Rose smells a great deal like Lancome lipstick; it's rose-scented, not at all the scent of rose.

Balkis by Nicolaï

A very pretty but incredibly sweet raspberry-rose. Initially, the fragrance is seductive, warm, and pleasant, but after some time it becomes, as others have stated, syrup-sweet, and then it disappears.

Loukhoum by Keiko Mecheri

Enchanting! Notes: arabic gum, rose petal jam, and white almonds, Buglarian Rose absolute, noor dates, Hawthorne blossoms, precious woods, Comores flowers and vanilla, musk. Loukhoum is a rich, warm, honey-melting scent that is sexy, cozy, and comforting. It evokes the excited smell of childhood holidays and vacations; sweetness and bright happiness. This is one of those scents that makes me maniacally sniff myself to refresh the lovely mood it inspires!

Fleurs d'Oranger by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido

Almost 20 years ago I stayed with a friend in central Florida, in early Spring. The house was a huge Spanish villa c. 1928, built around a courtyard filled with flowers. We arrived late at night, wide awake, and decided to walk around the lush, haunted neighborhood. The air was heavy and balmy, and its scent was the most beautiful, intoxicating smell I've ever experienced. I've carried this olfactory memory with me - searching for the smell - but it had not been recreated, until I got my first whiff of Fleurs d'Oranger. This is the scent of paradise.

Arabie by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido

This is an incredibly interesting fragrance; fascinating to smell because it transports you to somewhere steamy and sensual. It smells hot, exotic, somewhat food-like, and powerful. I could have loved this fragrance had it not been for the sharp clove aroma that upstages every other note. It's not that I don't like the smell of clove in many fragrances - it's that in Arabie the clove doesn't blend into the other notes as it melts into my skin. It makes me smell like clove cigarettes, which I despise. Arabie was really close to being wonderful, but just didn't get there on my skin.

Aqua Allegoria Pamplelune by Guerlain

Bright, fresh, uplifting, and great for any day, any mood. I liked this upon first spray, and I enjoy its unique blend of grapefruit and dry accords. Don't let the cheery citrus fool you into thinking this is a simple scent...it's not. It's complex, extremely well-blended, and just plain delightful. Gorgeous warm vanilla drydown with hints of patchouli, and the grapefruit sweetens as the fragrance blends. It's an antidepressant in a fragrance!

Angélique Encens by Creed

This is not a scent one can smell from the bottle and even slightly predict how it's going to react on one's skin. I sniffed the bottle, thought "interesting," applied the fragrance, waited an hour, and SWOONED. Nothing I have ever smelled comes close to the mood of this one - completely takes my mind to other places...haunted, beautiful places. The vanilla/amber drydown is simply intoxicating, and sensual. I don't find this fragrance to be dark, but it is mysterious and hypnotic.

Champs-Elysées by Guerlain

What a pretty, sparkling floral! Gentle notes of peach peek out of the floral topnotes, and the drydown is warm and sensual. I have the edt and the lasting power is incredible. Even after washing my clothes, I can still detect hints of Champs Elysees.

Paris by Yves Saint Laurent

Paris is a gorgeous, classic fragrance. I adore the rose notes of the edt with their bright and sparkling drydown for day wear, and Paris edp is a fabulous romantic evening fragrance. I get so many compliments on Paris that I've often wondered if it should be my signature scent! However, I love so many fragrances I could never continually wear just one. Paris does remain in my top 10 favorites because it's so easy for me to wear, and it seems to go with any mood. It will always be a staple in my fragrance wardrobe. I can see Paris continuing on in the fragrance world with the same type of popularity as Fracas, Chanel No. 5, Opium, Shalimar, and Arpege. It is a truly fine, beautiful, unique fragrance.

Opium by Yves Saint Laurent

I really love this fragrance. It's not one I can regularly wear anymore, and on some days the carnation comes out too much and I don't enjoy carnatiion...but when Opium works, it works like nothing else. Something in this fragrance stimulates me and energizes me. It makes me feel ALIVE - even on gloomy dark days. It's sexy, warm, classic, and forever beautiful.

Boudoir by Vivienne Westwood

The fragrance for Gothic romantic intrigue... This scent brings to mind haunting novels where mysterious heroines wander throughout huge mansions while seductive gardens bloom outside, sending their smells through lace curtains to hang heavy in the air...Boudoir is all about atmosphere, and it creates its own like a complex work of art that has to be analyzed deeply, but impacts you immediately. I wish I'd found this scent years ago - I will always love this one! I can't even describe how much I love it, or what it does to me when I smell it. It's one of those fragrances I feel like I've searched for my whole life.I find such joy in its beauty! I'm not sure whether or not to wear this often because it's so special I don't want to take it for granted!

Stella by Stella McCartney

Dark, dewy, heavy, beautiful, romantic rose and amber perfume that reminds me of Black Baccara roses!

Safari by Ralph Lauren

I will never get over the fact that Ralph Lauren discontinued this fragrance. I remember the first time I smelled it, in 1991, like it was yesterday. I was powerfully affected by its beauty - I just swooned! It was my signature fragrance for many years. After some major life changes, Safari went away too, and when I was ready to wear it again, I discovered it was discontinued. Unbelievable. And Ralph Lauren's newest efforts are so dull. The bottle for Safari is just gorgeous and the fragrance itself is slightly powdery, feminine, green, orange blossom, almost chypre, and has a distinctive note that I've only found in one other fragrance: Vivienne Westwood's Boudoir. I've searched for years to try to figure out what Safari's magical note is, but so far I've been unsuccessful. I just hope that some day Lauren will decide to resurrect this beautiful fragrance that was so much a part of the younger me. If you can find this anywhere, don't miss out on giving it a try.

Eclix by La Perla

Pretty fragrance, but I don't wear it much since I've acquired Brit, which is much nicer to me. I utterly despise Eclix's bottle. I keep it becaues I'm a collector, but it's sort of the court jester for my conglomeration of gorgeous bottles. Eclix's bottle looks like something from the 1970s science fiction movie Logan's Run.