Reviews by Giannino

Giannino's avatar
    Giannino

Grey Vetiver by Tom Ford

I knew there was something magical about GV when I first sniffed it at Westfield in San Francisco, whilst on vacation. A year or so later, I dread to think what my spring/summers would be like without GV in my arsenal. Like walking through a fresh, slightly citrusy, sparkling waterfall, GV makes the wearer feel energised but with the beauty and sophistication that one would expect from something as captivating as a waterfall.
    Top notes are indeed tinged with a citrus sparkle and the vetiver and oakmoss calmly show their hand to reveal a sense of elegance and gentlemanly charm that is seldom seen in 'fresh' fragrances these days.
    Without question my signature scent for spring/summer, with ample projection and longevity.
    On days when I prefer a change of mood and reach for one of my many other 'fresh' spring/summer fragrances, such as; Platinum Egoiste, Bleu de Channel or GIT, I'm always left wondering how my day would have turned out had I worn the masterpiece that is, Grey Vetiver, by Tom Ford...

18 November, 2012

Joop! Homme Summer Ticket by Joop!

Well, looks like I'm first!
    I already own the infamous Joop! Homme, however, the days of me bathing in the stuff are long gone.
    Summer Ticket, takes the classical elements of the original, but tones down the strong opening and replaces this with fruitier accords of apple and grapefruit.
    Summer Ticket thus becomes an improvement on the original, but still maintains the core Joop! Homme dna.

Perfect for a night out, or clubbing, this fragrance will definitely get you noticed, but without the 'gosh, he's wearing Joop!' effect.
    Longevity and projection are good, but not in the same league as it's older sibling and this is actually a positive, since the scent is more wearable and won't suffocate others around you.

Well done Joop!, well done indeed...

02 September, 2012

Rive Gauche pour Homme by Yves Saint Laurent

What a fragrance from YSL. A powerhouse for the 21st Century perhaps? Hard to believe this was released in 2003.
    Opens with a fresh, green, clean shaven feel, reminiscent of the great 80's powerhouses, but in no way 'old man' smelling, although I would have thought it more suitable for men aged 25+.
    I feel confident, happy and very comfortable when wearing RGPH, almost Rocky on top of the world effect.
    Truly a master class and truly a mens only fragrance which challenges the fruity/aquatic/unisex type scents of this generation by saying; 'I'm a man and I don't want to smell like a woman...I want to smell like a man and proudly'.
    Projection is very good while not being too loud and longevity is simply off the charts - 24hrs easy.
    Bravo YSL, bravo indeed...

09 June, 2012

Polo Modern Reserve by Ralph Lauren

One needs but one word to sum up this fragrance. Masterpiece! I simply cannot fathom that this jem was released in 2008. Yes, that's right, it's not a typo, 2008.

Based on the powerhouse classic, 'Polo', Modern Reserve is indeed as the name suggests, a completely 'modern' twist on the original, but with enough hints of it's older brother to keep Polo wearers interested.
    In my opinion, PMR is quite different from Polo. It's certainly more sophisticated and elegant in it's composition - an ideal day fragrance, especially for those of us who suit up to work.
    That old school pine note has almost vanished completely (not such a bad thing) which makes PMR more wearable and less offensive than it's older sibling.

In terms of projection and longevity, PMR is excellent without being overbearing.
    One of the finest MENS fragrances around...bravo Ralph Lauren.

17 November, 2011 (Last Edited: 09 December, 2012)

Uomo? Moschino by Moschino

Uomo? by Moschino must be one of the most underrated mens fragrance of all time.
    Such a classic (yet modern), vibrant, fresh scent that simply makes you smile everytime you get a whiff during the day.
    The fragrance opens with slightly sweet blast of kumquat with a liberal dash of green and spices. Throughout its evolution, it mellows into what i can only describe, as per the basenotes description above, as fresh 'sunlight' in a bottle.
    Truly a classy, sophisticated EDT, with good longevity (7-9 hrs) and its projection is certainly above average.
    If ever there was such a fragrance category for 'sleepers' as it were, this would be king, hands down.

20th September, 2011 (Last Edited: 03 June, 2012)

Ultraviolet Man by Paco Rabanne

I actually smelled this fragrance off a work colleague and couldn't for the life of me work out what it was. You can imagine my frustration. Having randomly sampled Ultraviolet by chance, i was amazed that I'd actually found it!
    This scent is unique, quite unlike anything else i've worn, and believe me i've worn a lot! It's mildly sweet, has a truly fantastic opening (fresh mint and candy floss??) is quite synthetic (but in a good way) has good longevity and it's projection is amazing.
    Any man wearing this will surely stand-out in today's sterile, aquatic fruity/sports fragrances era.

03 June, 2010 (Last Edited: 03 June, 2012)