Reviews by FrouFrou

FrouFrou's avatar
    FrouFrou

Soir de Lune by Sisley

My favorite perfume! And I wear it whenever I feel like it, day or night, wherever I go.

I told an sa I was looking for a dark chypre, and she nearly sprayed me with ''Eau de soir'' but I managed to dodge her.
    Only I didn't manage to dodge the ''Soir de Lune'' which she used to attack me with straight afterward. After my ''Eau de Soir'' experience a few months earlier I never wanted another Sisley sprayed one me. Lucky she did catch me!
    To my surprise, for the rest of the day I kept getting these whiffs which brought me a sense of bliss...
    I agree with earlier comments that it seems to go round and round in a circular motion. And as longevity is excellent it lasted until evening. It didn't leave me alone. I went back next day and begged for a sample, and then pestered family and friends to put their money together for my upcoming birthday and buy me a bottle!

Now my boyfriend loathes heavy scents, so I tried to wean him very carefully to this, he claims he discerns an oud-like smell in this. He thinks it's heavy but he does rather like it. Luckily, because we would have be having problems otherwise, I will not give up my Soir de Lune!
    I have to be careful as to what we are going to do, once I sprayed myself just before we left in the car and the monster sillage wàs too much for him. And I can't blame him.

I agree this fragrance must have top quality ingredients, it has monster staying power, monster sillage. It lasts for weeks when sprayed on fabric.
    Yummm.
    Three thumbs up!

23 February, 2011

Tabu by Dana

Rich, sensual and exotic!
    Rich also in strength! This is nothing like your modern wishy washy flowery artificial fragrances you have to use liberally to get a few hours of staying power and sillage. this is maximum strength and need to be applied molecule by molecule! If I am very careful my man who likes very few perfumes likes it!
    Luckily I am wholly unbiased about Tabu. I don't think it is worn a lot in the Netherlands so I have never sniffed an old lady wearing it. Nor do I know what root beer is so I don't have any of these associations. My first smell was from a vintage bottle I brought on e-bay after reading about Tabu here on basenotes.
    I get a 70s feeling because of the patchouli, but I mostly get a lot of dark mysterious oriental magic!

Now we all know it was supposed to be for a 1920s '''puta'', but I do not see a modern street hooker here.
    I see the 20s Femme Fatale, a dark bobbed beauty, with magnolia white skin and black khol around her sultry eyes, black lace and beaded dress with a deep cleavage and bare back, she lures in the men like a fatally beautiful black orchid, smelling of magic, mystery and luscious erotic sex.
    They are mesmerized.
    They are hers...
    They are lost...
    And then she is gone, and the world will always smell cold and grey...

21st February, 2011

Chantilly by Dana

The thumbs up is for the vintage Houbigant version. I never expected to like it as much as I do, I like chypres, and quite ''heavy'' fragrances. I had expected the vintage Houbigant to be a pretty unremarkable old fashioned powdery scent. And it is very powdery, but with a subtle spicy very sexy twist. I don't feel at all innocent and old fashioned in this, I feel very sexy and luscious!
    I wear this in the daytime, it makes me feel chique, and I love dusting myself after a bath with the vintage powder I've got, and spraying some on my pulse points, I love sleeping in it! I feel as if I am in a soft pinky perfumy cloud.
    Did I mention it's totally sexy?

I have a large splash bottle, and a spray mist, and waw! that spray mist is so beautiful! None of my expensive high end fragrances has a such a superb quality spray nozzle.

About the Dana version, which I tried in a department store in the hope of having an easy supply, the least said the better. What a crying shame!

19 February, 2011 (Last Edited: 31st August, 2011)

24, Faubourg by Hermès

I couldn't believe this perfume was created in 1995! It is a true perfume, elegant, stylish and very, very chique. I am so happy that perfumes like this can still be created.
    It should be clear by now that I love it. When I am going out wearing a nice outfit and my favorite jewels, this is my favorite perfume. It also works well in summer and winter.

I never think a fragrance is age related. I don't think one needs to be ''mature'' chronologically to wear i24 Faubourg. One only needs to love it.

19 February, 2011

First by Van Cleef & Arpels

Vile!
    On my skin it smells acidic and cat-peeish and a distinct smell of cheap soap, added to something which has gone off...
    I've been wearing it for two hours now and it is making me nauseated. I don't think I can last the course, I think I have to try and wash it off now...
    Funny, Elena has created several fragrances which make me turn and run, if I can keep from projectile vomiting, and others which are my all time favorites.

17 August, 2010 (Last Edited: 05 March, 2011)

Eau du Soir by Sisley

I loved the topnotes of this, so I took a nice solid spray on the wrist. Looking forward to a lovely smell developing over the afternoon I was sorely disappointed. When the topnotes faded a very nasty smell began to emerge which I find hard to describe as I was getting these revolting images in my mind of a luxurious tacky 1970's bordello lounge.
    I can't help it but that was what happened.
    This has never happened to me before.
    I kept seeing seedy people there, I could almost hear the cheesy music, but I certainly could smell the place...
    Unfortunately longevity is strong and it took a lot of scrubbing to be released from this obnoxious fragrance.

17 August, 2010

Un Jardin en Méditerranée by Hermès

Very sharp topnotes, I first though (for a second) I like it. But then it became very quickly something unpleasant, with a strong alcoholic smell, the dregs of wine left at the bottom to ferment in an old bottle. Yuk! It remains during the drydown.
    Not for me.

09 July, 2010

Noa Perle by Cacharel

Nice, warm, flowery, doesn't last very long on my skin. Not very exciting but a nice scent. I was given a large bottle of this and I wear it for normal daytime activities. I get compliments on this scent. However, it doesn't thrill my heart like a really good perfume should.
    I like the bead (It's so clearly plastic I cannot get myself to call it a ''pearl'') in the bottle.
    Because it's a nice inoffensive scent, and because of the compliments, I will give it a thumbs up, but I wouldn't bother to buy it for myself, I prefer something more exciting.

21st June, 2010

Tocade by Rochas

I am afraid hat Tocade is one of the worst smells I ever had to endure, a wholly artificial, a plasticy, industrial waste smell (can't call it scent as it just makes me wither away)
    And very unfair, but I never even tried it on my skin. I can't: open a bottle and it will send me running!

Frankly I am amazed so many people like it so much. I wanted to be fair in my review and tried to get a sample but the shop didn't have it on their shelves anymore.
    I am sorry for the people who love it, but a great relief for me, never having to smell it again!

21st June, 2010