Reviews by A. Homme

A. Homme's avatar
    A. Homme

Infusion d'Homme by Prada

I can summarize my impression of Infusion d'Homme thusly:

Take one part Aqua Net Hairspray, and combine it with one part Faultless spray starch. Amplify the essence by 10, dilute with a little alcohol, and you have it.

It has great silage and longevity, so if this is what you want to smell like, it's a must buy.

18th September, 2011

parfums*PARFUMS Series 4 Cologne: Vettiveru by Comme des Garçons

I don't have a lot to add to the previous reviews...I find this to be a fairly natural vetiver, but of the "fresh" variety. This is like the brooding Encre Noir's upbeat little brother.

What strikes me the most about this is the phenomenal depth and longevity it has for an EDC. A conservative application to the chest at 07:00 this morning is still going strong and smelling great at 9:25 PM. Not it's not a sillage monster, but if it wasn't printed on the bottle, I'd never believe that this was an EDC.

Summary: A great, long-lasting "fresh" vetiver fragrance, great for everyday wear. Great value considering its staying-power.

12th January, 2011

Tabacca by Costamor

I bought this thinking it was strictly a men's fragrance. The Jasmine and rose tea in this give it a bit of a feminine edge, but the tobacco and woods are definitely towards the masculine side of the spectrum. It's fresh and warm. I find the tobacco notes in this to be virtually identical to those in By Kilian's Back to Black--so just imagine that with some floral top notes, and you have Tabacca (to my nose). She hasn't tried it yet, but I'd imagine this would smell great on my wife as well.

The only thing I'm not a fan of is the name. Around here, "tabacca" is the stuff that comes in little disk-shaped cans.

06th August, 2010

Van Cleef & Arpels pour Homme by Van Cleef & Arpels

I've been sampling this monster for a few days now. It's a complex fragrance, not to be taken lightly. Frankly I don't get on with it, and I think I've come up with the primary accords that are coming at me from my right arm:

We have baby wipes atop a base of convenience-store incense, with some light floral notes sprinkled about.

I realize that this is a respected formulation, but I don't get it. It's definitely complex, and well put together. Not to mention a loudmouth in the sillage department. In the end, I find it to be powdery, moderately spicy and brooding without any solid base notes. This makes me think of the movie "Despicable Me," which I recently took my son to see. If Dr. Gru had a scent, this would be it.

While I personally think it's worthy of a thumbs down, I'm going with a neutral for now because there's a chance I'm missing something here. Definitely can't see myself wearing this.

25th July, 2010

Atman by Phat Farm

Starts off promising enough, with some citrus and a touch of spice. It quickly dries down to the Brut deoderant spray I recall from the early/mid 80's. Very uninspired, but not entirely offensive.

Rive Gauche pour Homme by Yves Saint Laurent

Very clean and masculine without being over-the-top in any regard. Old school, "shave and a haircut" scent. Nothing exotic here, just a solid men's scent. Good staying power with light to moderate application. A modern classic, IMO.

Bijan for Men by Bijan

As a fan of some of the "big" scents form the 70's and 80's such as Aramis and Kouros, and modern biggies such as the A*Men line, I blind bought this one based on the reviews here.

Long story short, this stuff is a mess. Loads of notes tripping over one another, acrid, strong as hell, and drying down into a very "old lady" type of smell. I can't make heads or tales of it, besides the fact that it smells bad.

It takes something pretty radical to offend my sense of smell, but this does it. Maybe it's just something in my chemistry, but I don' get on with this one at all. Come to think of it, even the bottle sucks.

Acqua di Giò pour Homme by Giorgio Armani

A very fresh, unoffensive, summertime scent. Best suited to younger guys, but wearable by anyone. A victim of its own popularity. Not something I personally wear much, but a great standby. If a guy could only have one bottle, he could do much worse than this.