Reviews

Reviews by Sandy

La Cologne Fleur du Male by Jean Paul Gaultier

Soap, but a real, no-muted down, no-flowery, heavy-smelling washing soap. That's what comes first and if one is not patient enough, then with some water the scent might ed up in the basin. But I do recommend to wait about 10 minutes. And then slowly comes a very nice, close to the skin scent which makes you sniff your arm very often. It's reminiscent of the original Fleur du Male, but in a much lighter, cleaner, much more wearable form. For me the nicest surprise for a very long time.
25th June, 2008

Fumerie Turque by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido

From the vax sample I couldn't do justice. One should have a full wearing from at least a decant to see every faces of it. As I'm getting older, my fond memories from my childhood in a nice small village do come back more and more often. This scent brings me back to the autumn evenings where the sweet and sour smell of the burning leaves would find its way to the courts, mixing with the cigarette smoke of my grandfather. There are rosebushes, too, the petals of which evaporating the last molecules of summer.
The calmness and the relaxation, which we so miss in our speedy everyday life - this can be found if you envelope yourself in this scent.
17th April, 2008 (last edited: 05th July, 2008)

Acqua di Parma Colonia Assoluta by Acqua di Parma

An outstanding beautiful, fresh, mature scent. Marketed as unisex, for me rather on the masculine side. This is perhaps due to a certain barbershop-feeling, which however never gets sickening, like say at Prada PH.
Longevity in itself is way better than average, especially for a citrusy scent.
Perhaps the younger crowd would not be so enhusiastic, but if I were asked how should a decent gentleman of 48 years smell, my answer is this scent.
05th April, 2008

cK one Scene by Calvin Klein

Definitely a nice scent. I find not similarities to any of CK's scents, which I don't like generally. But this is an exception worth to try.
27th November, 2005

Lanvin L'Homme by Lanvin

This underrated gem seems like a well-kept secret. Crisp and elegant, it's comfortable in all seasons. A fresh citrus/floral top, including bergamot, mandarin and neroli, is backed by clean middle-note of lavender and herbs. Mint adds a feeling of coolness. The finish includes a surprising note of violetwood, and a trace of vanilla which manages never to become cloying. Not so commonly available that you'll find it on everyone on the block. Definitely worth seeking out,as it never fails to win compliments.
08th June, 2004

Cologne Bigarade by Editions de Parfums Frederic Malle

Nothing short of brilliant. This is a beautiful, refreshing, utterly compelling fragrance. Balanced somewhere between the classic and the eccentric, Cologne Bigarade is like nothing else you've ever worn - all the more surprising, as citrus is a standard element men's perfumery, and has been for a few centuries. (Citrus bigaradia is the botanical name for the bitter, or Seville orange.) The description on Frédéric Malle's website does not claim that bigarade, or essence of bitter orange, is new to perfumery, but that Jean-Claude Ellena wanted a true bitter citrus fragrance, and that this cologne uses a new formulation as the basis for the bitter orange note. It may be this new formulation which allows the citrus note in this scent to be so striking: it's clean, strong, bright without being sweet, and amazingly persistent. The citrus note seems a little more prominent in the Concentrée version, (which I prefer slightly over the cologne). The Cologne version gives more prominence to the rose note, I think. The combination of citrus, rose, cardamom and, of all things, hay is what gives this fragrance its complex, slightly strange character. Try it in hot, humid weather.
01st June, 2004

Vera Wang for Men by Vera Wang

I wanted to like Vera Wang for Men. I'd heard good things about it. I do like it, up to a point. The [i]yuzu[/i] is brisk and refreshing, and fades quickly, as citrus notes often do. The layer under that, at least on me, is heavily weighted towards anise. There is a detectable note of leather, but it's nowhere near as prominent as, say, the new Gucci Pour Homme (which is rather like living in a shoe - a new, Italian shoe, but still.)
Vera Wang feels elegant but slightly too sweet and too one-note for me to recommend it wholeheartedly. A tentative thumbs-up, but worth trying at least once. (In some ways, it's the perfrect complement to the women's version, which strikes me as rich, wildly expensive, but safely pretty rather than innovative.)
11th March, 2004