Reviews by Santemon

Santemon's avatar
    Santemon

Orris Noir by Ormonde Jayne

Ormonde Jayne continues to knock my olfactory socks off. Bewitched by Ta'if, I am now utterly seduced by Orris Noir - I am so head over heels in love with this one that I am rationing my little sample bottle. Another of Linda Pilkington's Arabian Night perfumes, this time belonging to the twilight - not as dark as the name suggests and with little of the traditional powdery iris - a sweet, beguiling scent of perfumed palace gardens, rather than the heady, midnight desert oasis garden that is Ta'if.

26 October, 2006

Ta'If by Ormonde Jayne

I can't praise this scent too highly. A ravishing combination of the headiness of the rose and other florals beautifully framed by the dryness of the saffron and broom, with a glowing amber base. The pink pepper and date beautifully top this scent to give it an exotic edge. I save this one for special occasions and feel extremely special when I wear it - like a sheikh in an oasis as a full moon rises on a desert twilight.

07 May, 2006

Dilmun by Lorenzo Villoresi

I really wanted to like this scent, the ingredients sounded really appealing. It seems to be the Villoresi trademark that all his scents have clear, crisp, pure notes and a progression that you can clearly follow. Unfortunately, this combination was too sweet for me, even the citrus was sweet, with florals reinforced by the sweet fragrant resins, further reinforced by the flower extracts and vanilla. It rapidly reminded me of an Italian barbershop and stayed that way, down to the soap in my ears and crisp white uniform of the barber. If you like this kind of scent, by all means go for it. I guess it wasn't for me.

05 February, 2004

Voleur de Roses by L'Artisan Parfumeur

I have been wearing this scent now almost continuously for 24 hours and can't stop sniffing it, having done a couple of reapplications since I first put it on. The earthy sweetness of the top notes is striking and seductive, but doesn't prepare you for how good it gets as the scent develops and the soft patchouli notes waft off your skin. Rose, plum, and patchouli are obviously a fragrance marriage made in heaven. Tigrushka is absolutely spot on with her description, and as the range of reviews here attest to, this is a scent for both men and women.

05 February, 2004

Tam Dao by Diptyque

This is a very fine, elegant and restrained scent (almost spiritual) devoted to a pure, creamy heart note of Sandalwood. Around this heart is built a sweet harmony of rosewood and cypress while a slightly marine and animal note of ambergris earths it. Very classy and hypnotic, not a strong lasting one, but one which stays close to the skin for a few hours.

29 January, 2004

Endymion by Penhaligon's

This is a lovely scent which deserves to be more popular. It is very easy to wear with an initial spicy freshness which is not citrussy at all. The cologne then develops a soft sweetness which evolves into slightly headier but never overwhelming notes of leather and musk. A scent which develops and lingers and refreshingly does not beat you over the head with its notes and hidden depths. I had thought it a scent for evening wear, but the more often I use it the more versatile it seems to me.

08 January, 2004

Eau du Sud by Annick Goutal

This is one of those scents I love to wear constantly and enjoy repeatedly smelling. The initial soft citrus notes seem to me tinged with a slight saltiness which I find really appealing. Then a sweetness with the hints of basil and mint and a soft wooden glow at the end. While not long lasting in terms of trumpeting itself, you will still have this scent with you for quite a few hours after the initial sprays. This is not a bold and bracing citrus, but a glowing and soft one, reminding me not of the blazing sun, but of dappled light as you walk through orchards and groves, crushing basil and mint underfoot and feeling the wood radiating the summer heat around you. An essential tonic for your collection.

08 January, 2004