Reviews by scenteur7

scenteur7's avatar
    scenteur7

Vita by Beth Terry Creative Universe

I'm puzzled that this one is denoted with the women's symbol, as it smells perfectly unisex to me: A sparkling aroma that includes notes of rare teas, plum, blackcurrant, lily of the valley, and citrus (luckyscent.com), to me, Vita is all about grapefruit. This is what I want to reach for on a hot summer day, something that is fresh, invigorating, and easy-to-wear.

Mare by Beth Terry Creative Universe

Sea salt, ginger lily, and avocado - who knew so simple a composition could create such an astounding olfactory effect. One of my favorite marine aromas, Mare has been well-reviewed here at Basenotes and for good reason - it's one of the most unique scents of its genre: Fresh, clean, and nothing like Acqua di Gio...what moe could you ask for?

Té by Beth Terry Creative Universe

I love that review by Calchic because it perfectly illustrates the mystery of Te and how it smells different to each wearer. I do agree that overall, Te is unusual, and that the celery and clove create a unique herbal edge. But after about 5 minutes the herbaceousness tends to fade and the entire composition becomes the scent of steam rising from a pot of just brewed green tea...an effect that I can't say I find in so many of the other aromas that claim to use tea notes.

Firewood / Feu de Bois by Ava Luxe

One of my very favorite Ava Luxe scents. Rich, spicey, sweet aroma of a bonfire with fantastic longevity and sillage. Similar to Diptyque's Galliano Room Spray, but with stronger cedar tones and not as smokey. A winner for those who love Shiseido's Basara/Basala.

11th November, 2006

Film Noir by Ava Luxe

A smooth unisex aroma with notable leather/suede tones. Good longevity and sillage. I could swear I detect an oudh note in there. Perfect for those who love Chopard Madness, Michael for Men, or the Montale Oud fragrances.

11th November, 2006

Le Jardin des Floralies by Ayrel

A beautiful, sparkling floral anchored by barely there oriental notes. The standout note on my skin is a pwdery ylang and iris accord. See my interview with Rene Laruelle, the scent's creator, here at Basenotes for ordering information.

17th October, 2006

Gianfranco Ferré for Man by Gianfranco Ferré

I've got to add my 2 cents: Ferre was a thing of the past until a fellow fragrance addict turned me onto it. I had remembered it as herbal and boring. Boy was I wrong. True, it IS slightly herbal (citrus and mossy green notes open), but the magic is the soapy leather notes in the drydown. A surprising scent that I'm sorry I've missed all of the years...Sophisticated and timeless.

09th August, 2006

Acqua di Parma Iris Nobile by Acqua di Parma

Beautiful, unisex, orange blossom-based aroma. Could have a stronger or earthier iris note (iris butter) but works as is and comes across as clean and fresh.

07th August, 2006

Carven Homme (original) by Carven

A rich, aromatic, full-bodied oriental that smells much more expensive than it actually is, Carven Homme is similar to Dupont Signature and Gucci Envy for Men. At such a reasonable price, this is a perfect scent for anyone who wants to add a little spice and richness into their days. Perfect for early fall when the leaves begin to change.

18th June, 2006

Gigli Man by Romeo Gigli

Not terribly complex, but wonderfully easy to wear. Another winner from Gigli, shame it disappeared so quickly. Works well for those who don't want to be too overwhelmed by their scents.

06th May, 2006

Black XS by Paco Rabanne

God I love this stuff...To me it smells like strawberries and patchouli. Absolutely nothing like the original, and I have a hard time picking out any of the notes in the composition. True, the lasting power is average, and sillage is minimal. But I don't care, I love it and can't really think of anything else that quite compares!

14th March, 2006

XS pour Homme by Paco Rabanne

One of my favorites from the early 90's. I remember this coming out around the same time as Egoiste Platinum, yet I vastly preferred XS. Light, fresh and easy to wear, the drudown is a wonderful and aromatic woods.

If you like Creed Himalaya, skip the expensive price tag and try this great juniper-focused scen!

14th March, 2006

Fever pour Homme by Céline

A dull and uninspired new fragrance, slightly reminiscent of the eponymous original Celine pour Homme. Tumulte for Men is a much better creation, not surprisingly from the same creators, InterParfums. Although its a nicely created woods and citrus aroma, the lasting power and sillage are disappointing and I can think of at least 5 other scents that I would prefer to wear before ever reaching for Fever.

09th March, 2006

Joop! Le Bain by Joop!

Hands down the best from Joop, a surprisingly gourmand-style oriental that is rich, yet not overly sweet. A little known star that would be great for either a man or a woman. With notes that suggest everything from toasted almonds to cognac, an incredibly rich composition great for cooler weather.

23rd February, 2006

Oyédo by Diptyque

Yuck...smells like a lefesaver. Absolutely did not work for me and even on a test strip, this is nothing that I want to smell like.

01st February, 2006

Ferré by Gianfranco Ferré

I believe this one is unisex and the notes include:

Top: Marine Bergamot, Cassis, Melon
    Middle: Neroli, Lily of the Valley, Orange Blossom, Jasmine, Muget
    Last: Patchouli, Mahogany woods, Oakmoss, Seaweed, Ambergris, Musk

A wonderful light blend, this will be perfect for summer heat. Sweet, fresh, slightly floral (lily, jasmine and neroli all make brief appearrances before blending into the composition), marine with that special hint of motu, and a very pleasant light musk base. It reminds me of CSP Motu with a softer floral and citric opening and not as strong algae notes in the base. At the price I paid, $30 for a 50ml, it was totally worth it and in my opinion the best Ferre scent yet.

Paul Smith London for Men by Paul Smith

I love it, a very cozy and boozey blend of woods and spices. A wonderful rich scent great fro cooler weather. Fragrancedirect.com lists the notes as follows:

Paul Smith London Men is a deeply sensual and spicy scent with sparkling green mandarin and violet flowers. Shots of frosted mint with just a hint of jasmine and lavender. A warm base smoothed with a splash of vintage brandy accord. Australian sandalwood, Tonka beans, and amber.

GFF Uomo by Gianfranco Ferré

What a disappointment. Very hard to describe, as all the notes seemed to blend together, but this had a very strong "perfumey" presence. Reminded me of an old bottle of suntan lotion with a strange metallic edge. Nothing really stuck out, but I imagine there were some white floral notes set against some woody notes and a little musk. Very strong with very little character, I can see why this was so hard to find! So let me wrap this up. Trust me on this one. If you were looking for it, stop looking and forget about it. Nothing redeeming about this one.

Leros by Antica Farmacista

Smells very similar to Polo Sport - nuff said.

Acqua / Water by Antica Farmacista

A wonderful light and fresh marine scent. Very simple composition, yet very effective. Like a Motu Light. Longevity could be a bit better, but it's very easy to wear and very comforting.

Terra by Antica Farmacista

Interesting blend of pine and a creamy (not too sweet) vanilla. Reminds me of Xmas every time I wear it.

17th January, 2006

Vaniglia, Bourbon & Mandarino / Vanilla, Bourbon & Mandarin of Sicily by Antica Farmacista

An orange creamsicle, but with a wonderful tangy mandarin note (quite fresh, actually) and an almost buttery, almond-ish bourbon vanilla note. Intoxicating, long-lasting and not too cloying! Antica's best.

M'Oma by Laura Tonatto

Actually, the name is M'Amo, and it's a blend of pear, spearmint and white musk. Recalls L'Artisan Eau de Caporal, but not as good.

Oltre by Laura Tonatto

A harsh astringent oceanic scent that seemed very discordant. Highlighted by notes of pine, lily, seaweed and musk.

Raw Vanilla by Coty

Surprisingly good vanilla scent that reminds me of a sweeter version of Biagiotti Roma. Better than it deserves to be but with a slightly synthetic note in the drydown.

Oropuro by Laura Tonatto

Heavy vanilla oriental scent, reminded me of MPG Or des Indes though not as powdery. A bit too cloying for my tastes.

Wild Musk by Coty

A great scent, like a light skin musk, reminds me of Creative Scentualizations Perfect Veil, but ultimately very light and fleeting. Eevry time I spray it on the scent disappears in moments...perhaps I'll use it to spray the sheets?

Harmonie Creole by Comptoir Sud Pacifique

Amazing fragrance - CSP: Please bring this back! Saffron, maple, cinnamon, ginger, pepper and amber. Like a more spicey/herbal D'Orsay le Dandy minus the booze notes.

Moschino Friends Men by Moschino

I agree - a very odd citrus scent that smells identical to the Lysol I use for my garbage can - it's kinda funny and a bit uncanny.

Zagara by Norma Kamali

A beautiful, gender neutral orange blossom scent, watery and light. As with most of the Kamali scents, it fades rather quickly and so is not worth the price.