Reviews by Ratfink

Aura by Thierry Mugler

Like wearing a nice pudding. Pleasant, but not exactly challenging. Bring back Womanity, at least that was interesting.
25th June, 2018

Habanita by Molinard

I really wanted to like this, but after several attempts to get on with it I'm giving up and giving away my sample. On me this smells like furniture polish, with a very slight hint of a tobacco if I sniff my arm really intently. Meh.
17th September, 2015

La Petite Robe Noire Couture by Guerlain

Cherry shortbread. Massive sillage.
26th February, 2015

White Musk by Illuminum

Pointless, bland and synthetic.
19th December, 2012

Wild Berry Blossom by Illuminum

Smells incredibly synthetic. Also smells of fish.
19th December, 2012

Aventus by Creed

Grilled pineapple and emmental. Smells great on girls.
24th November, 2012

Narcisse Noir by Caron

I get orange and incense, and no 'noir' at all. It gets a thumbs up, as it is lovely, but once again, I'm a bit disappointed that it's not the ballsy fragrance I expected, and would love to try the original.
31st October, 2012

Tabac Blond by Caron

I get a beautiful floral, with a hint of herbal tablets thrown in. There's *no* 'tabac' that I can identify, and I've tried it three times now. It's still lovely, but it's not what I expected at all.
22nd September, 2012

Dot by Marc Jacobs

Could be perfect for your twelve year old daughter.
08th September, 2012

Very Irrésistible Eau de Toilette by Givenchy

I was given this perfume as a gift - I'm not sure that I would have chosen it for myself - but it's grown on me a lot, despite being much sweeter and altogether 'pinker' than I would normally like. It also has to be one of the least convincing rose scents I've ever come across. It's a sweet and slightly peppery fragrance; pink with a kick. I wear it in the Winter, when I need cheering up.
16th July, 2012 (last edited: 17th September, 2015)

Gris Clair by Serge Lutens

Starts off wonderfully smoky and dry; a very masculine take on lavender. It soon softens and sweetens, however, and develops a slightly minty character. I want to love this but, sadly, as it dries down, it gets just a little too sweet for my tastes.
24th June, 2012 (last edited: 23rd July, 2012)

Paul Smith Extreme Women by Paul Smith

The first blast of this smells like a cheap plastic toy that's been left out in the sun too long. After a while it redeems itself a little, becoming merely uninteresting. I've tried repeatedly to get on with this fragrance, but the opening is so thoroughly nasty that I'm now officially giving up on it.
16th June, 2012 (last edited: 24th June, 2012)

Chance Eau Tendre Eau de Toilette by Chanel

Fruity floral, which is overly sweet, cloying and girly. Reminds me of rice pudding with added fruit jam, but not in a good way. Thirteen year olds will love it.
06th March, 2012

Fahrenheit by Christian Dior

Lighter fuel, shortly followed by gun oil, then dries down to a classically masculine, warm and spicy scent. I like.
25th February, 2012

A*Men / Angel Men by Thierry Mugler

A weird combination of very strong, sweet coffee, combined with soft licorice and bleach. Interesting, but overly synthetic and possibly only bearable in small doses. What starts off as a bang ends up a whimper - it dries down to a weak, sweet chocolate scent after a couple of hours.
13th January, 2012

Angel Garden of Stars : Violet Angel by Thierry Mugler

This is a funny one. Bought as a blind buy, because I love Angel and I love violets; seeing as it was discontinued, when I found a bottle available online, I pounced. It's sweeter than the original Angel, more obviously 'gourmand' - and it's as though the elements which make Angel interesting are missing. Someone has commented that it smells like 'a deep fryer' - to me it's what a deep-fried Mars bar would smell like, only with added violets. Bizarrely, I still like it....
08th October, 2011

L'Heure Bleue Eau de Parfum by Guerlain

Powdery and smooth, with a lovely soft violet centre. Reminds me of the equally fabulous Après L’Ondée. Utter, dreamy gorgeousness.
29th November, 2010

Womanity by Thierry Mugler

Okay, let’s get the bad stuff out of the way first: I hate the bottle, I really hate the colour and I really, really hate the stupid meaningless name. The scent itself is not so bad! There’s not a lot to it as far as I can tell - figs and caviar pretty much cover it, but hats off for doing something different and maybe even a bit daring. Plus, once I got over the initial reaction of ‘this is weird’, I realised that I do actually like it. It remains to be seen whether it turns out to be something I’d rather eat than wear.
29th November, 2010

Ange ou Démon by Givenchy

The first time I tried this it seemed mediocre, but pleasant enough. The second time I tried it, it started to grate on me, big time. I still have some of my sample left and am wondering if I can be bothered to be annoyed by this fragrance for yet another day. It’s loud, sickly sweet, cloying and frankly, downright irritating. It honestly reminds me of the toilet freshener used at my local, which has all the subtlety of an olfactory mallet. Not great.
28th November, 2010

Magie Noire by Lancôme

On first application, this smells (to me) like a ballsy version of ‘Coco’, but a couple of minutes in and Magie Noire starts to show its real personality - that of a dark, bitter chypre which, for the first half hour or so, comes dangerously close to being too harsh. However, just as I start to think it’s not one for me, it warms up and all the components start to sing. It took me a while to love this stuff, but now I think it’s a bit of a masterpiece. I completely agree that it would make a great masculine - and the body cream is luscious.
28th November, 2010

Play for Her by Givenchy

I'm sorry, but this is a: 'why, oh why, oh why' fragrance.

What's the point? Seriously! WHY are all the perfume houses repeatedly churning out this generic, sugary, infantile crap? It's not completely hideous, but it sure as hell isn't great, or even good. It's just like 1001 other perfumes flooding the market at the moment and I'm sooooo bored with it now.

It seems to me that the perfume industry is hell bent on drowning itself in a vat of syrup - someone throw it a life belt, for God's sake.
03rd November, 2010

My Insolence by Guerlain

Smells like really strong and fruity herbal tablets; I’ve smelt worse, but it’s just a bit bizarre. After several hours it dries down to a slightly too sweet Insolence-type scent. Not exactly a Guerlain classic.
20th October, 2010

DKNY Be Delicious by Donna Karan

A green floral which is more for daytime than night (and possibly more for summer than winter). The apple smells quite fresh and sweet, not sharp - then after a while you get the cucumber, which comes on pretty strong. It's quite loud, whilst simultaneously not being especially long-lasting. I understand the criticisms about it being generic and a bit average really, but I still like it.
13th September, 2010 (last edited: 31st March, 2012)

No Debate by Body Shop

Immediately smelt like sweet sherry, which was suddenly overwhelmed by a strong, creamy vanilla. One for Christmas? Pleasant, possibly a little too sweet and one-dimensional, but a nice enough scent.

(For men? Seriously?)
13th September, 2010 (last edited: 31st March, 2012)

4711 Portugal by 4711

Smoother, warmer, and slightly longer-lasting version of the traditional 4711. Orangey. Nice.
13th September, 2010

Gingembre by Roger & Gallet

I don't get much ginger and what I do get is a fresh ginger (as opposed to a warm ginger biscuit scent, for example), but it is very nice. I can smell a warm orangey citrus and the drydown reminds me of orange butter icing!
13th September, 2010

Jicky Eau de Parfum by Guerlain

My first review!

I LOVE this perfume. It starts off with a lovely fresh citrussy, slightly soapy scent, then gets sort of peppery (my favourite part) and then goes to a creamy vanilla before it fades away, all too soon. There's a lot going here that I can't quite put my finger on (lack of experience), but it's just so... interesting! It's so refreshing to smell a perfume that isn't just full-on trashy, sweet, and loud; it's great to experience a 120 year old perfume that doesn't smell like a stereotypical 'granny' fragrance. Marvellous. Can't get enough of it.
20th August, 2010