Reviews by voodoodanny

voodoodanny's avatar
    voodoodanny

24 Go Dark by ScentStory FZE

Unbelievable similarity to Dolce & Gabbana The One Gentleman while perhaps slightly less refined in its execution. A great scent nontheless, especially for the price! Sillage and longevity are both good.

09th September, 2014

Zippo Original by Zippo

This is two and a half star territory for me. I neither love or loathe this fragrance - there's a touch of sweetness tied up in this unmistakably masculine (and brilliantly packaged) package, but, as some have suggested, there seems to be a petrol-y zippo fuel note in there too, and I'm not entirely sure how much I enjoy smelling of a lighter made by convicts.

09th September, 2014

Potion by Dsquared2

Warm, wood-spiced amber that, to me, was immediately reminiscent of the great Bulgari Black, minus the rubber. As it turns out, it's from the very same nose, Annick Menardo.

I found the EDP to perform well in cold weather, displaying above average sillage and longevity. One spray on the back of my hand and this scent seemed two swirl around me like a warm, balsamic mist for hours. While not necessarily a 10, this one is firmly camped in thumbs up territory.

14th January, 2014

Colors Uomo by Benetton

Like lemon sherbets in liquid form. Simple, synthetic and a little dated? Perhaps - but refreshing and fun to wear while somehow comforting and familiar.

At this price it can only be a thumbs up!

06th May, 2013

Silver by Al Rehab

I can't not give this a thumbs up, and I can't not make the inevitable comparison to Creed Silver Mountain Water. It seems fairly apparent to me that this was intended as a budget clone of the lovely but vastly overpriced juice that Creed churn out.

Longevity and projection are admirable, the scent, while more synthetic than SMW, is lovely and vibrant and for just over £3.00 for 30ml at EDP concentration, you simply cannot go wrong.

Buy it blind and buy it now!

28th April, 2013

Traversée du Bosphore by L'Artisan Parfumeur

I bought this blind thanks to a very attractive price (not to mention a very generous returns policy!) and I'm pleased to say I have few regrets.

Whether or not this captures the magic and essence of a trip across Istanbul's famous river, I do not know as I have never crossed it, but I have visited Turkey and I can certainly attest to the similarities between this fragrance and the sweet aroma of lokum (real rose Turkish delight) studded with pistachios and finished with grated coconut and powdered sugar.

The fragrance opens with dry iris, saffron, a touch of apple and soft suede leather and this, to me, is it's strongest albeit most fleeting phase. In fact, save for these early accords, this scent might be dubbed 'a little too feminine' - even by me, an avid exponent of genderless scent appreciation. The sweet and edible heart and base notes cling very close to the skin for a reasonable amount of time and, while delectable, might be seen by some as a shade sickly for every day wear.

In summary, this is a wonderful and very skilfully crafted piece of olfactory art from Bertrand Duchoufour: the quality and composition give it that unmistakable L'Artisan niche feel. If only it lasted and projected a little more robustly...

10th April, 2013

Héritage by Guerlain

This is amongst my top fragrances of all time. It exudes elegance, masculinity, refinement and warmth. Complex notes derived from quality materials have been expertly married by the last Guerlain family master perfumer (and part-time racist), the great Jean Paul Guerlain himself.

It's not necessarily a young man's scent (I'm 30) but I am happy to carry this off whilst wearing jeans and a sweatshirt, perhaps while at work. For me this could easily become a signature and would suit day or night wear, whatever the weather.

Wonderful.

13th March, 2013

Zizan by Ormonde Jayne

I personally don't think this fragrance deserves the poor reviews it seems to receive. At once, it is a quality and skilfully realised scent with bold projection and enduring longevity. The super-masculine blend of citrus, herbs, wood and vetiver evolves elegantly and reminds me a little of Terre d'Hermes and Gucci by Gucci pour Homme by the time it has reached the final stages. Very good.

27th February, 2013

Daim Blond by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido

Lutens + Sheldrake... a pairing that I would have assumed could do no wrong, and I suppose there's nothing 'wrong' with this scent: indeed, I can tell it's well crafted using highest quality ingredients. It boasts complexity and elegance and really showcases the suede note fantastically. So well, in fact, that it was this fragrance that finally caused me to realise that I don't like leather notes as much as I thought I did.

As great as I somehow know this fragrance is, it's just not for me. Sidethumb.

26th February, 2013

Safran Troublant by L'Artisan Parfumeur

I could have sworn there was cardamom in this - like Cartier Declaration but better and more gourmand. In any case, it's wonderful and after one sniff I was hooked. I'm very much looking forward to sniff number two.

25th February, 2013 (Last Edited: 20th March, 2013)

Bois d'Argent Cologne by Christian Dior

I was handed a little 5ml bottle of this by the SA at the Dior counter in Harrods after enquiring about a different scent. I sniffed it a short time later and immediately assumed it was marketed as a unisex, if not a feminine fragrance, so I was fairly surprised to later learn that it is a men's cologne.

It smells of sweet, blonde woods and powdery flowers (that'll be the iris). The honey is always there but becomes more apparent as it dries which is when I began to detect something a little sour and sick-y, like off-milk, but just the merest hint and then it's gone. I have conceived that it could just be my nose playing tricks and so I'm going to give it the benefit of the doubt today and go with a tentative thumbs up.

Then again, everything smells better when it's free!

25th February, 2013

David Beckham Instinct by Beckham

I want this to be the same well constructed spicy citrus vetiver in the same elegant understated magnetic capped bottle for the same bargain price of £14.99 (75ml) but I don't want it to be by David Beckham. Because I'm a snob.

15th February, 2013

Oscar for Men by Oscar de la Renta

I just can't help going back to this magnificent fragrance time and time again, and each time I do I seem to appreciate it a little bit more. A powerful, masculine opening of citrus, pepper and woods which takes you through the day, changing very little along the way other than a slight softening and maybe, just maybe, a touch of late vanillic sweetness.

100ml of this can now be had for less than £15 but it punches well above its price bracket and, at the moment, is probably the closest thing I have to a signature scent.

Great projection and staying power: thumbs skyward.

11th February, 2013

Navigations Through Scent - Rogart by Molton Brown

I'd have to disagree with the review below. I find this to be a very robust, quite masculine, spicy-woodsy, slightly earthy scent, sweetened by maple syrup but not to a point where it enters the realms of sickly or overtly feminine.

I would agree with the comments regarding good projection however, and also in the sense that I too, love it.

05th February, 2013

Roadster Sport by Cartier

I was sent a sample of this by a kind Basenoter on the same day that I rediscovered my long lost bottle of Joop! What about Adam? and, bizarrely enough, I'd always said I'd never smelled anything like What About Adam... until now!

Foolhardily perhaps, I'm reviewing this very soon after spraying it so I can only really comment on the first impression that this scent creates. Despite not listing them among its notes, I detect the same grapefuity-tomato leaf accord that I find so prominent in WAA? but here, somehow, it is softened and enriched by herbs and wood with a touch of floral from the orange blossom perhaps?

It's nothing ground-breaking and it seems to be fading all too quickly into the heart/base of fresh, green patchouli. I'll happily wear this until my sample is spent but I won't be rushing out for the bottle.

24th January, 2013

What About Adam by Joop!

A tomato and grapefruit powerhouse. This could easily strike someone as a huge synthetic headache in a bottle, but in the right hands (and on the right skin) it is a fairly masterful and utterly unique blend of greens, citrus and light woods. I'm still not entirely sure where I sit on this debate so, for now, it's a sideways pointy thumb in an orange circle from me.

Longevity and projection are really quite decent.

22nd January, 2013

Joop! Homme Wild by Joop!

This is growing on me.

I bought Joop! Homme Wild due to the fact it was on offer and my girlfriend loved it. It's sweet, boozy and warming: a projection monster without the overpowering aggression of it's stable-mate, the original Joop! Homme, 23 years its senior.

At first I was convinced J!HW was a tad generic and nondescript; I didn't immediately get the rum and I was worried that I'd struggle to tell it apart from other fragrances from sniffing alone. While it remains a youthful 'crowd-pleaser' in my estimation, I have learned to appreciate the rich, sensual interplay of the notes that make up Wolfgang Joop's latest offering.

There's no mention of it in the note descriptions I've found online, but I get a little creamy vanilla in the finish. That said, I'm no expert and others are probably far more accurate when they describe it as soft woods and sweet tobacco.

Sillage and Longevity are impressive.

17th January, 2013

Pi by Givenchy

Soft, warm vanilla and almond. Very sweet, rich and eminently gourmand. I like this stuff a little more each time I smell it. It's my go to comfort scent for the cold weather.

03rd January, 2013

Iconic by Marks and Spencer

This is almost an exact clone of D&G The One for men, and quite a good quality one at that - perhaps slightly less refined and a little more linear, but the warm, sweet gourmand accord of vanilla and tobacco is unmistakable. Even the bottle is reminiscent of it's designer counterpart!

This smells great and at only £15 for 100ml it can't really be anything other than a thumbs up. It seems to have actually bettered The One in terms of projection and longevity too! ...not that that was difficult!

29th December, 2012 (Last Edited: 09th January, 2013)

Paul Smith Man by Paul Smith

I bought this today at a knock-down rate in a post-Christmas sale and although I haven't spent very long with this fragrance, I simply cannot sit back and look at the symmetrical review bar (currently 3 positive, 1 neutral, 3 negative) any longer without weighing in and adding a splash more green.

This fragrance deserves a lot more praise than it gets IMHO - the dry bright opening of yuzu and spice is uplifting and original, and the woodsy iris note (which some have rightly identified as similar to Dior Homme) is captivating, classy and fiercely masculine. Dessert comes in the form of a lasting and rich tonka base.

Sillage is excellent and longevity is admirable. Bravo, Mr. Smith!

29th December, 2012

Eau Noire Cologne by Christian Dior

What the hell just happened to my nose!?

It's like someone fired a curried crème brûlée at my face for standing too close to their cedar/lavender bonfire: I admire his boldness but I'm still not too sure how happy I am about receiving such a bizarre and pungent faceful.

I'm trying so hard to like it...

17th December, 2012

A*Men Pure Energy / A*Men Pure Shot by Thierry Mugler

Pointing thumbs southward after sniffing this offering from Mr Mugler seems, to me, to be a bit of a bandwagon affair. If one is prepared to judge this fragrance in its own right and not against its brothers in the Pure line, whilst simultaneously judging the sillage and longevity separately from that boasted by its father, the mighty A*Men, then one should be able to force oneself to concur that it is in fact a very pleasant smelling juice.

I like it anyway!

And I do detect a hint of the original A*Men DNA in the dry-down. Go figure.

16th December, 2012

Kiss Him by KISS

Say what you like about the tacky endorsement or the body odour accord, this is a surprisingly good, spicy, masculine frag for the little money you'll pay for it!

Dark, woodsy and seductive with that edgy animalic note that have lead some to write it off as "sweaty". This is daring and a little bit different and worth every penny. Stands up to plenty of designer (and even a few niche) frags in terms of quality and longevity.

If you're that embarrassed to have the bottle in your collection, decant it or wrap it in brown paper. Don't overlook KISS Him!

11th December, 2012

Navigations Through Scent - Singosari by Molton Brown

Wonderful spicy and slightly soapy opening, rich and heady incense and ginger soon reveals a heart of ground spice propped up by seductive patchouli. The woody vetiver in the drydown grounds it beautifully making this a very unisex and wearable frag indeed!

Sillage and longevity are good on my skin. The warm spice in Singosari makes it ideal for the winter months, especially in the build up to Christmas. I picture a crisp December afternoon; a well dressed man, or woman, in a coat, scarf and hat, strolling down a busy highstreet decked with twinkling lights and bows of frosted fir and holly; laden with bags of gifts for family and friends - this fragrance gently wafting through the cold air as they pass.

This juice is on the expensive side of reasonably priced but I would certainly consider buying a bottle today if money were no object, especially as said bottle is very attractive indeed.

28th November, 2012 (Last Edited: 06th February, 2013)

Kapsule Woody by Lagerfeld

This was a blind buy for me, based on the reputation of Oliver Cresp, reviews on Basenotes and the very reasonable price tag (£17.99 for 75ml/2.5oz).

I get the pruney-plum note quite strongly in the opening, as well as the hint of acetone that someone mentioned. The softer sweet-savory accord of woods and moss are close behind. It does exactly what it says on the bottle and with average sillage and longevity, it is a very pleasant and wearable frag.

I'm not totally in love with it, nor do I dislike it. Neutral is my rating today but this juice sits somewhere between thumbs sideways and thumbs up for me.

24th November, 2012

Escape for Men by Calvin Klein

Overripe banana. That's about it! I didn't even wait for the dry down (but that's mostly because I lost the mouillette on the way out of the shop). Not for me.

23rd November, 2012 (Last Edited: 29th December, 2012)

Champion by Davidoff

A fresh, clean citrus frag that while linear and uncomplicated, remains entirely pleasant and eminently masculine. Sillage and longevity is surprisingly good. A few small sprays and I can easily detect this projecting from me after 8 or more hours.

This may not be a sophisticated piece of olfactory art, but it smells great and works hard.

15th November, 2012

The One Gentleman by Dolce & Gabbana

Spicy.

I bought 30ml of this juice when it was on sale, having really enjoyed testing the original The One. I can definitely pick out the similarities in this flanker, especially in the dry down - vanilla being the unifying theme. TOG opens with a much more intense, almost screechy and overpowering stab of what must be the fennel and lavender, but mercifully this quickly fades to reveal a warm and enticing heart of smooth vanilla and aromatic spices.

Not as smooth or as sweet as it's predecessor, this frag smacks of sophistication and would work best in the evening or in colder weather. Longevity and projection seem to have been ramped up slightly from from the original, I personally can detect this frag on my skin and clothes after almost a full day.

14th November, 2012

Silver Mountain Water by Creed

Wonderful juice! For me, opens with gin and tonic giving way almost immediately to fruit tea and clean aqua notes. Dries down to a fresh, elegant semi-sweet metallic accord. I can't really talk about sillage and longevity because I could only afford a 1ml decant, but I will certainly snap up a bottle of this sublime frag if ever I see it discounted.

11th November, 2012

Sex Pistols by Etat Libre d'Orange

Being quite new to the wonderful world of frags, I had no idea who Etat Libre D'Orange were when I picked this up for £4.99 in a branch of The Fragrance Shop in the UK. Having since learned that their juices usually sell for around £50 for 50ml has probably helped to boost my review well into the realms of the positive!

That said, I like scents that are a little different and for me, this is good stuff. The leather is present in the drydown once you've got past the not unpleasant but fairly powerful accord of aldehydes, pepper and prunes. Sillage is average to decent and longevity is fair too. For what I paid, an absolute steal!

Edit: Having since acquired Dirty English by Juicy Couture I've had to come back in order to revise my review as this stuff smells remarkably similar - perhaps due to the leather note they have in common and the ambroxan/amber musk accord. If anything, Sex Pistols has more sweetness and intensity: imagine Dirty English Intense EDP!

09th November, 2012 (Last Edited: 29th December, 2012)