Reviews by Shadya

Shadya's avatar
    Shadya

Charlie Gold by Revlon

Nostalgic Charlie Gold

I went shopping for a new perfume in March and had difficulty finding something new to try at Sephora. The scents at the store become blended after smelling a few samples. I decided to buy Charlie on impulse. As a teenager, this was the first scent my mom and I shared when I was living at home. We definitely had different tastes in picking perfume; but Charlie always seemed congenial enough for most any occasion. Like others mentioned, the scent can become too sweet if applied daily. Still, I love this scent after a shower. The notes are vibrant, spicy, and crisp without being overpowering. This scent lasts too, but never beyond a day or evening.

Pros: Cinnamon, Vanilla base notes
    Cons: A little sweet

23 May, 2013

Forever and Ever Dior by Christian Dior

Soft and feminine fragrance

Purchased this in the duty free on the way back to Doha. I picked Forever And Ever Dior because the description contained base notes that I normally like. This is a clean scented-floral that is uncomplicated. The scent is sweet like an ambrosia, but not like confectionery scents. I think Forever And Ever Dior is more clean than sweet, and I wear it as an everyday perfume. Forever And Ever Dior is light and has no lasting power beyond a few hours.

I was surprised to read in Base Notes that this scent contains musk which usually overpowers the perfume application after a few hours. Surprisingly, I don't find this a problem with Forever And Ever Dior.

Nice scent, just not as vibrant as other florals that I've tried.

Pros: clean smelling
    Cons: Does not last beyond a few hours

23 May, 2013

Un Jardin Sur Le Toit by Hermès

Un Jardin Sur Le Toit is different in an unexpected way. When I first tried this fragrance, "WOW" came right out of my mouth. Somewhat sweet, green and a hint of rose. Although to me the fruit never really became distinctive in Un Jardin Toit, I must say the resulting medley is distinctly unique among summertime fragrances. To me, the sweetness is more noticeable upon application, but quickly dissapates on the dry down. A little spray goes a long way, but what a lively and upbeat fragrance to use in daily interactions.

Ô de l'Orangerie by Lancôme

Love this scent for summer! Top notes are clearly orange and delicious. After dry down, the orange becomes more subtle with a hint of cedarwood. Jasmine is not so obvious, which would make the fragrance too sweet. Citrus frangrance that tempts the tastebuds, but not too intense. This frangrance would be wonderful for everyday routines. Fragrance does not fade that quickly.

Jasmin Noir by Bulgari

I received Jasmin Noir as a gift from a friend. On her, the fragrance smelled divine! Out of the bottle, the scent seemed a little overpowering, but the effect was fleeting. I used Jasmin Noir often, and happily purchased another bottle, but the fragrance began to sour on my skin. By the end of the day, I couldn’t stand the remaining fragrance.

Jasmine is not what I smell when first applied. There is a gardenia floral first impression with subtle notes of Tonka bean and a hint of green. To me, the scent of Jasmine was not how I would have described it. After the dry down, the hint of green disappeared.

This is not a bad fragrance, but Jasmine Noir is not exactly something I would wear long term. Perhaps this would be a fragrance that could be worn for occasionally. I do prefer Jasmin Noir to the oil-based perfumes in Doha, as they can be overpowering.

Jennifer Aniston / Lolavie by Jennifer Aniston

I wouldnt spend my money on it again. The smell is quite like antiseptic or tide, hardly a fresh scent that one enjoys after a shower. Sad to say the stores in Doha, Qatar have no idea about fragrance notes, including Sephora. The fragrance does not last long, and is completely gone by the end of the day. Better luck next time.

17 January, 2012

Frankincense - Myrrh - Rose Maroc by Regina Harris

I live in Doha, Qatar where perfume is important. There is hardly a street in Doha that does not have a perfume or incense store. Al-Qurashi perfumes are the most luxerious with incense that costs thousands of dollars. Rose Maroc is the closest thing to walking past the Qurashi perfume store and smelling the incense and rose oil. I love this perfume so much, and tried to find a perfume that was less expensive, but the smell cant be matched. Rose Maroc is not a light, breezy perfume, rather it's contents are thicker than perfumes with a resin type base. I thought that might be an issue with clothing, but I place the perfume on my wrists or neck and I have simply not had any problem. This is a wonderful change, and I prefer wearing it in the fall and winter - or for me when the weather is cooler. This scent is long lasting and even at today's prices, I would not hesitate to purchase a bottle.

Infusion d'Iris by Prada

I purchased this when the sales lady tested the fragrance for me, and it smelled wonderful. I went home and tried it on, and the perfume smelled sour on my skin. I could hardly stand it. I tried it several times, but the smell was awful on me. I finally dumped the perfume when I was moving to another apartment.

KL by Lagerfeld

Interesting as I read down the reviews of others, how many compare KL to Opium. I really love KL but the original KL. There has since been a change in the composition of KL that to me seems not as nice or long lasting. I love a spicy oriental perfume, but could never find anything remotely like the original KL. The newer version simply isnt the same. Opium is more harsher in fragrance to me, where as the original KL is very blended and balanced.