Reviews by teardrop

Tuberosa by Profumum

A lovely tuberose; compared to Beyond Love it's warmer, more rounded, less "fresh", but the jasmine is more apparent in this one, & there's a hint of creamy vanilla in the drydown. The price is a big drawback, but l'd say if you're looking for a slightly more subtle tuberose rather than a big heavy-hitter, this one is definitely worth a shot.

Beyond Love by By Kilian

Along with Carnal Flower & Fracas, Beyond Love is, for me, one of the "Holy Trinity" of tuberose fragrances. Sillage is excellent, & it sings on my skin for hours & hours. The opening is quite crisp & camphorous, but the tuberose emerges quickly, balanced by subtle hints of vanilla & coconut in the background. lnitially heady, it softens into a sophisticated musk many hours later. I adore this fragrance, & it's firmly on my wishlist for when l win the lottery (or something), until then l'm making every precious drop of my sample last...

Saks Fifth Avenue for Her by Bond No. 9

l was so sure l would love this one from reading the notes, & out of the vial it smelled lovely; heady tuberose & gardenia, hints of coconut & creamy vanilla. However it fell disappointingly flat on my skin; it was pleasant but didn't "sing" for me, & there is a definite plastic, artificial feel to it. Maybe it's a skin chemistry thing, but this one didn't impress me.

Stephanie by Michael Storer

I blind-bought a bottle of this about 2 years ago on the strength of the positive reviews here. Big mistake! And a lesson learned. This does not smell remotely like gardenia to me, (& I have smelled real gardenias many times) all I get is chrysanthemums & that dusty, choking note of pepper that Shycat so eloquently describes. This is followed by a very buttery, cloying tuberose, (& l usually love tuberose) & a hint of jasmine after 5 long hours of resisting the urge to scrub. l gave this a few wearings as l really wanted to understand why it gets such high praise, but eventually gave the bottle away. Sorry, but this is simply one of the most unpleasant fragrances l've ever smelled.

Paradise for Women by Alfred Sung

First off, the bottle is awful, it looks like a pencil sharpener with a lid made from my kitchen worktop. Next, the scent itself is disappointing to me. l was expecting heady, tropical flowers, but it's fruity & a little aquatic. lt's crisp & refreshing, definitely a summer scent, but l'm not getting any florals or musk here. The sillage isn't bad, but it's gone after two hours. Not terrible, just not my thing.

Edit; l confess l wrote my original review during the first wearing, without (gasp!) waiting for the drydown. l know, l know, lesson learned!
Anyway, a while later l noticed a pleasant waft of musky woods coming from somewhere, & realised it was me! l've revisited this perfume over the last couple of days, hoping to re-create this effect, but it just hasn't happened in the same way. l think it requires warmer temperatures to really make it bloom. l'm still not getting the floral notes, either.
As an aside, it reminds me of the Body Shop's lndian Gardenia rather a lot. That one's not terribly floral either.

Edit; bottle now sold. l found it a reasonably pleasant scent, but l just got bored with it. And l have other tropicals that are much more "me".
23rd September, 2010 (last edited: 25th November, 2011)

Carolina Herrera by Carolina Herrera

This is a classy, elegant blend of tuberose & jasmine, with soft woods in the base. lt's heady at first, but strangely fresh & airy at the same time. The sillage is lovely, it stays quite linear but lasts a very long time. l think it would probably be too much in hot weather, & requires only a very light application, but it makes me feel very feminine & is suitable for everyday. lt's very similar to Chanel Gardenia, & much more reasonably priced!
23rd September, 2010

Eternity by Calvin Klein

l found the top notes quite similar to Eternity for Men, then it dried down into a quite ordinary white floral with no distinguishable notes to my nose. Passable as a workaday scent for a woman who simply wants to "smell nice", but it has zero personality or character for me.

Edit; my SO bought me a bottle of this for Christmas because he likes it. lt has grown on me; it is a very smooth, "clean" scent, & nice for when you want to give your nose a rest from more "challenging" fragrances, but l only wear it occasionally to please him, it will never be one that l love.

Edit; after my SO admitted that he didn't think it smelled quite right on me, it was with some relief that l sold my bottle. lt just wasn't interesting enough for me anyway!
13th September, 2010 (last edited: 25th November, 2011)

Cristalle Eau de Parfum by Chanel

Other reviewers here have used words that describe this very well; pungent, bitter, brutal, harsh; & l agree with all of them. ln my notebook l've written; "nasty, sharp, green, woody, rather like No. 19 but with more cedar, urgh." Maybe it's an overdose of vetiver &/or oakmoss, ( l didn't get any of the top notes described here, it went straight to the base ) or it's a skin chemistry thing, but on this occasion l couldn't wait for the drydown, l had to go & scrub it off ( not an easy task ) before anyone thought l actually wanted to smell like this!
13th September, 2010 (last edited: 02nd March, 2011)

Acqua di Gioia by Giorgio Armani

This is a fresh, summer scent to me with a burst of lemon & mint in the opening, sweetened a little by the brown sugar in the drydown. l think it would work well on both sexes, & it has good longevity for a citrussy scent. l love the idea of smelling like a mojito & would consider a full bottle of this, if l didn't already own a bottle of Comptoir Sud Pacifique's Aloha Tiare, & hadn't set my heart on a bottle of Creed's Virgin lsland Water! Very nice though, thumbs up!

Parisienne by Yves Saint Laurent

As other reviews have indicated, this does indeed veer between that tart cranberry note & a sweet, sugary violet. One minute l almost like it, the next l definitely don't. l felt very self-conscious wearing this, as if it was wearing me, & as if l was trying too hard to be 20 years younger! The sillage & longevity are off the scale, but this is aimed squarely at the teen market, & it's very poorly blended. Not for me.

Gucci Flora by Gucci

A very unpleasant, in-your-face burst of chemicals, followed by a woody-patchouli drydown. Not floral at all! Thankfully it's all over before too long.

Tiaré by Chantecaille

The top notes are green & soapy with a suggestion of lily of the valley, & quite strong sillage. There's a whiff of tuberose in there, but it's restrained, followed by a whisper of gardenia, but overall it's quite linear &, l'm sorry to say, nice but dull. There are many far more interesting & longer-lasting florals out there. Maybe my white floral phase is finally petering out, maybe l'd just prefer this in springtime. Anyway, for now l'll pass.

Insolence Eau de Toilette by Guerlain

Wow, it really does smell like L'Heure Bleue! l don't really get raspberries, but cherries from this, along with those violet, almond & anise notes. lt's quite linear on me but has good sillage, & lasts a good six hours which is better than average on my skin. l thinks it works as a modern interpretation of a classic, but l still prefer L'Heure Bleue over this.

Allure Sensuelle by Chanel

For a fruity floral clearly aimed at the youth market, this is really rather nice. l get melon, peach & a sweet, caramel-like vanilla. The sillage & longevity are good. lt's not something l can imagine wearing much myself, & l like Allure a lot more, but l wouldn't object to smelling this on someone else from time to time.

Antonia's Flowers Eau de Toilette by Antonia's Flowers

For the first fifteen minutes or so it's difficult to pick out individual notes here, it's just a bunch of fresh, sweet flowers. Then suddenly the most beautiful freesia note throws itself forward with lots of sillage, it's very true to the real flower & just keeps on going. lt's quite a retro scent, but perfect if you want to smell like a spring flower, & very good quality. Nice!

Love In White by Creed

On my skin this simply smells like crisp, freshly-washed linen hanging out to dry in the breeze on a bright spring day. No more, no less.

Narciso Rodriguez for Her by Narciso Rodriguez

Heavy, cloying, strong, overly sweet oriental. Headache-inducing for me, had to scrub this.

Paris by Yves Saint Laurent

l got very little rose from this, just sweet, cloying parma violets all the way from beginning to end. l like parma violets, but l didn't enjoy smelling VERY strongly of them ALL DAY. l'll give it a neutral because the sillage is so powerful & it lasts & lasts, unusual on my skin. l just can't think of any occasion where l would want to wear this.

Spring Flower by Creed

On me this is a sickly-sweet mess of apple & melon, with unfortunately no discernable flowers. Very disappointing. lf l smelled it blind l would never guess that it came from a house like Creed. There are far better, cheaper examples of this genre available on the mass market today. What happened?

Fleurissimo by Creed

This smelled very green, sharp & quite masculine to me, not floral at all. There seems to be a note in these green floral scents that dominates on my skin. The same thing happens with Chanel No.19 for example, so l think it's probably a skin chemistry thing. l reckon it could smell great on a man, though! Just not on me, ho hum.

Dioressence by Christian Dior

l know this classic gets a lot of love & respect from others here, but l just couldn't get beyond the sharp, pungent, peppery, green opening. Being a gardener l'd have to say it smells like pelargoniums, the mediterranean plants often called geraniums, rather than the true geranium which has virtually no scent. Not something l want to smell of.

Coco Mademoiselle by Chanel

l tried this on a sniffing spree in a local department store, & either l must have been distracted by some other frags l was trying, or this simply wasn't attention-grabbing enough for me. All l wrote in my notebook was; "quite sweet oriental." Hmm, l think l need to try it again sometime, l think l might like it if l spend some time with it. Then again, maybe not. lt obviously didn't wow me, sorry Chanel!

Allure Eau de Toilette by Chanel

This is actually rather lovely! lt's a subtle, elegant mix of creamy rose, jasmine & vanilla on my skin, & to my relief l didn't get any of the fruity notes. On sniffing my arm my SO declared it to be "gorgeous", an incredible feat as he rarely compliments me on any of my frags! l think l'm going to have to purchase this, or at least get him to give me some for Christmas. l can imagine it working well for pretty much any occasion, but l'd say it's more suited to warmer weather. Longevity is great & sillage just right. Very nice!

Indian Gardenia by Body Shop

An initial perfumey blast gives way to spices & citronella after a moment or two, then a little wood, perhaps sandalwood, followed by a slightly crisp, grassy note, then after an hour sweet, musky florals show up, but no gardenia. The sillage is quite good & could cause headaches in an enclosed space, but it's barely there on my skin after two hours. lt's ok, & might work better in winter, l'll wait & see...

Edit; bottle now sold. There were aspects of this perfume that l liked; the warm florals & gentle spices, but l just couldn't ignore that "bug spray" note of citronella. Neither could my co-workers.
03rd September, 2010 (last edited: 25th November, 2011)

Gardenia by Body Shop

Got this as a blind buy from eBay as it doesn't seem to be available in the shops. The top notes are slightly sharp, crisp & clean, then there are hints of lily & the barest whisper of gardenia, then it's gone from my skin after about an hour. Cheap enough for liberal sprayings & not unpleasant, but wouldn't have bothered if l'd known!

Edit; bottle now sold. lt was just too ordinary & not "gardenia" enough for me.
03rd September, 2010 (last edited: 25th November, 2011)

Eaudemoiselle by Givenchy

This has a very retro feel to me, it's very strong & slightly stale to my nose, & it's difficult to pick out notes. l sort of get the rose & ambrette, but they're lost in a generic perfumey mess on my skin. l did try it on a warm summer day, & l think it might work better in colder weather, the sillage is powerful & it lasted a good six hours while l resisted the urge to scrub. Sorry, not for me!

Ange ou Démon Le Secret by Givenchy

This is an elusive bit of fluff; a sweet, strawberry-like opening & a whiff of green tea, then it starts to disappear from my skin almost immediately. No sillage, l have to sniff right up close to detect it at all, & don't even bother asking my other half what he thinks. The best l can say is it's inoffensive, how can it offend anyone when you can't even smell it?

Marc Jacobs Splash Gardenia by Marc Jacobs

Smells limpid & fresh in the vial, for the first 20 minutes on the wrist it's mainly orange blossom & neroli, with that metallic quality l usually get from neroli. You sense other florals in the background, but that citrus note dominates... then suddenly it mutates into a cross between Un Matin d'Orage & Ophelia, with a delicate, rain-soaked-garden effect that l like. l prefer those two to this one however, as l don't have to live through those top notes to get there. As someone who smells real gardenia blossoms fairly regularly, l can state that this bears only a fleeting resemblance to the true scent, & it only lasts around three hours on me, hence the neutral rating.

Velvet Gardenia by Tom Ford

This is quite difficult to describe, it is floral, but earthy.. there's a whiff of tuberose & jasmine at first, but mixed with a kind of "new car" smell, the kind that used to make me car sick as a child. lt has a dark, mysterious, haunting melancholy to it, definitely not a summer scent & not for a party mood, it would probably work best on a damp autumn day when wearing leather.. maybe that's a leather note in there? After a few moments there is a true gardenia note, & now l realise why it makes me feel sad, because it conjures up a memory of my Greek "mother" handing me a gardenia blossom before l left the village l visit regularly in Greece. l had it in my hand on the long bus journey back to Athens, but although l love the scent, it became too overpowering & l had to wrap it carefully in a tissue & put it in my bag before l got ill. The jasmine becomes more prominent after an hour but it stays quite linear after that, slowly receding like a storm into the distance, still detectable six hours later. l have great respect for it's composition but can't imagine wearing it in public, only when l want to stay home alone wallowing. Therefore l'll have to give this a neutral. mikey_p put it perfectly; "lf Tim Burton did gardenia, this would be it"!

Rosebud by Ayala Moriel

A very classic, realistic but dry rose scent, like pot-pourri, with a whiff of cedar in the base. l have the greatest respect for Ayala & her work, but there are other scents of hers that l like much better. l like my roses fresh, deep & dewy, so this isn't quite what l'm looking for.