Reviews by teardrop

Allure Eau de Toilette by Chanel

This is actually rather lovely! lt's a subtle, elegant mix of creamy rose, jasmine & vanilla on my skin, & to my relief l didn't get any of the fruity notes. On sniffing my arm my SO declared it to be "gorgeous", an incredible feat as he rarely compliments me on any of my frags! l think l'm going to have to purchase this, or at least get him to give me some for Christmas. l can imagine it working well for pretty much any occasion, but l'd say it's more suited to warmer weather. Longevity is great & sillage just right. Very nice!
13th September, 2010

Indian Gardenia by Body Shop

An initial perfumey blast gives way to spices & citronella after a moment or two, then a little wood, perhaps sandalwood, followed by a slightly crisp, grassy note, then after an hour sweet, musky florals show up, but no gardenia. The sillage is quite good & could cause headaches in an enclosed space, but it's barely there on my skin after two hours. lt's ok, & might work better in winter, l'll wait & see...

Edit; bottle now sold. There were aspects of this perfume that l liked; the warm florals & gentle spices, but l just couldn't ignore that "bug spray" note of citronella. Neither could my co-workers.
03rd September, 2010 (last edited: 25th November, 2011)

Gardenia by Body Shop

Got this as a blind buy from eBay as it doesn't seem to be available in the shops. The top notes are slightly sharp, crisp & clean, then there are hints of lily & the barest whisper of gardenia, then it's gone from my skin after about an hour. Cheap enough for liberal sprayings & not unpleasant, but wouldn't have bothered if l'd known!

Edit; bottle now sold. lt was just too ordinary & not "gardenia" enough for me.
03rd September, 2010 (last edited: 25th November, 2011)

Eaudemoiselle by Givenchy

This has a very retro feel to me, it's very strong & slightly stale to my nose, & it's difficult to pick out notes. l sort of get the rose & ambrette, but they're lost in a generic perfumey mess on my skin. l did try it on a warm summer day, & l think it might work better in colder weather, the sillage is powerful & it lasted a good six hours while l resisted the urge to scrub. Sorry, not for me!

Ange ou Démon Le Secret by Givenchy

This is an elusive bit of fluff; a sweet, strawberry-like opening & a whiff of green tea, then it starts to disappear from my skin almost immediately. No sillage, l have to sniff right up close to detect it at all, & don't even bother asking my other half what he thinks. The best l can say is it's inoffensive, how can it offend anyone when you can't even smell it?

Marc Jacobs Splash Gardenia by Marc Jacobs

Smells limpid & fresh in the vial, for the first 20 minutes on the wrist it's mainly orange blossom & neroli, with that metallic quality l usually get from neroli. You sense other florals in the background, but that citrus note dominates... then suddenly it mutates into a cross between Un Matin d'Orage & Ophelia, with a delicate, rain-soaked-garden effect that l like. l prefer those two to this one however, as l don't have to live through those top notes to get there. As someone who smells real gardenia blossoms fairly regularly, l can state that this bears only a fleeting resemblance to the true scent, & it only lasts around three hours on me, hence the neutral rating.

Velvet Gardenia by Tom Ford

This is quite difficult to describe, it is floral, but earthy.. there's a whiff of tuberose & jasmine at first, but mixed with a kind of "new car" smell, the kind that used to make me car sick as a child. lt has a dark, mysterious, haunting melancholy to it, definitely not a summer scent & not for a party mood, it would probably work best on a damp autumn day when wearing leather.. maybe that's a leather note in there? After a few moments there is a true gardenia note, & now l realise why it makes me feel sad, because it conjures up a memory of my Greek "mother" handing me a gardenia blossom before l left the village l visit regularly in Greece. l had it in my hand on the long bus journey back to Athens, but although l love the scent, it became too overpowering & l had to wrap it carefully in a tissue & put it in my bag before l got ill. The jasmine becomes more prominent after an hour but it stays quite linear after that, slowly receding like a storm into the distance, still detectable six hours later. l have great respect for it's composition but can't imagine wearing it in public, only when l want to stay home alone wallowing. Therefore l'll have to give this a neutral. mikey_p put it perfectly; "lf Tim Burton did gardenia, this would be it"!

Rosebud by Ayala Moriel

A very classic, realistic but dry rose scent, like pot-pourri, with a whiff of cedar in the base. l have the greatest respect for Ayala & her work, but there are other scents of hers that l like much better. l like my roses fresh, deep & dewy, so this isn't quite what l'm looking for.

Nina (new) by Nina Ricci

Toffee apples. Very sweet. Very girly. Probably just your thing if you're seventeen. Not my thing at all.

Gardenia by Royal Hawaiian Perfumes

Powerful tuberose, & not in a good way. l love tuberose when it's slightly tamed by other notes, as in Carnal Flower or Beyond Love. Unrestrained tuberose is cloying, nauseating & headache-inducing to my nose, & I tried it on a warm, humid day too, which didn't help! lt doesn't change in the drydown & was gone after three hours. It's labelled as Tiare Gardenia, two notes l ADORE, but sadly contained neither. l don't normally say this, but... YUCK!

Aloha Tiaré / Tiaré by Comptoir Sud Pacifique

Original version ( Tiare ); l agree with Ayala that it's very much the scent of monoi ie. tiare gardenia flowers soaked in coconut milk, something which to me is utterly delicious & indulgent! lt's sweet, creamy & soft, not a big night out scent but lovely to wear at home on a summer's day.

Newer version ( Aloha Tiare ); Begins with a sharp burst of lime, followed by creamy sweet musky florals & a whiff of tuberose, mixed with coconut, rum & brown sugar in the base, just like a mojito! lt's very similar to Virgin lsland Water with perhaps a little less finesse, but it lasts for hours on me, & it's very refreshing to wear out & about in the city on a hot summer's day. See Jitterbug Perfume Lover's review for the images this conjures up for me, unfortunately all in my head as l've never been to Hawaii! Some day.....*sigh*

Gardénia Parfum by Chanel

l, too, am underwhelmed.. at first it's just a generic "perfume smell" on me, then there's a whiff of tuberose & jasmine, but absolutely NO gardenia. lt disappears on my skin in less than an hour. Not unpleasant but l'm so disappointed considering this is a Chanel, that l have to give it a negative rating.

Azahar by Adolfo Dominguez

l was sent a free sample of this along with another scent l bought from eBay, & l have no personal experience of the authentic azahar scent as described by other reviewers, but l would describe it as a fresh, sunny mix of orange blossom & neroli. There's a whiff of musky woods after about 15 minutes, but apart from that it doesn't develop much on my skin & disappears in less than an hour. Nice, but disappointing for it's poor longevity.