Reviews by sherrie11

Coco Mademoiselle by Chanel

I have a roller ball decant of Coco Mlle edp. I used to dislike this fragrance on my skin - I thought it was too sharp and the patchouli was overwhelming. But recently, for whatever chemistry reasons, it is working very well for me. My skin is bringing out a sweet-musky-vanilla quality in it, and the patchouli is actually quite subtle. I LOVE the orangey/citrussy top notes. I think Coco Mademoiselle is better in warm weather than cold. Warmth and humidity bring out a mellower spicy sweetness in this fragrance and smooth away the sharper edges. Liking this very much.

06 June, 2007

Giorgio by Giorgio Beverly Hills

I'm revisiting Giorgio after twenty or so years, and I'm loving it. It is a white floral/aldehydic/fruity/chypre bombshell fragrance, and yes of course you must apply sparingly or else asphyxiate everyone within a thirty foot radius. Nevertheless, this is a stunning fragrance. I think it stands the test of time, whatever your pleasant or unpleasant associations may be. Giorgio is feminine, warm, sweet, elegant, and very nicely composed. Nobody wears it anymore, so I feel like I'm safe to wear it again. I don't care if it smells "old lady" (which I'm beginning to think = chypre), I like it.

28 May, 2007

Dunhill Pursuit by Dunhill

I just received a sample of Pursuit that I requested so long ago I forgot all about it. I really like it. It starts out a bit strong and harsh, sort of typical men's cologne type scent, but it soon dries down into a sweet, warm, spicy/woodsy fragrance, but not heavy, quite light, actually, pleasant and skin-scenty. Not bad at all. I wish my husband liked it but he doesn't. :-/

26 May, 2007

Trésor (new) by Lancôme

I smelled Tresor recently on one of my professors - or rather, I didn't know what she was wearing until I asked her. Her response, Tresor, blew me away. I remember Tresor from years ago, but I don't remember it smelling like THAT! Sweet, warm, honeyed, and incredibly enticing. Like a musky mead. I tested some at a Lancome counter the other day, and I like it on me, too. I suppose my chemistry has changed, but I like it much better now than I did when I was younger. It was the edp. Huge thumbs up and it will be my next purchase. Not cheap smelling to this nose at all, but a lovely and sexy frag.

22 May, 2007

White Diamonds by Elizabeth Taylor

I selled White Diamonds on my sister-in-law a while back and I had to ask her what she was wearing, it was so nice. Very floral-chypre to my nose, which is a type of fragrance I like. I just saw some bottles at Marshalls. I'm tempted to go back for one. But I don't know, I've got enough right now - would I wear it often enough to give it precious drawer space? Probably not. Nice frag, though, imho. It depends on individual chemistry, of course. Many people loathe this stuff - but I think it smells nice. No fragrance smells good when it's hosed on.

22 May, 2007

Cherry Blossom by Bath and Body Works

There are several BBW Cherry Blossom scents. I have the pink one that's just called "Cherry Blossom" in shower gel, body lotion & body spray. I smell cinnamon, mimosa, some very sweet maraschino cherry and sandalwood. I like it, but the sandalwood becomes very strong on me, which also happened with BBW's Warm Vanilla Sugar. My skin seems to grab onto sandalwood and won't let go. I wish the other notes would last as long. I like trying the various BBW stuff, though, especially the shower gels. They're fun. A cheap thrill. :-)

01st April, 2007

Eternity by Calvin Klein

I didn't care for Eternity in the 80's, but once in a blue moon I'll smell it on someone and think, "how lovely!". It's nice that few people wear it anymore - helps me make a less biased assessment if I'm not smelling it everywhere I go. Eternity is a nice fragrance on the right person. I like it. :-)

23 March, 2007

Blu Notte by Bulgari

The only problem I have with Blv Notte is the galanga, which I've found out is ginger. I knew there had to be ginger in there! For some reason, ginger goes all strong and man-cologne'ish on me - it takes over. But the drydown is soft and very nice. It lingers softly on the skin for hours, and it smells refined, nicely composed, articulate. The dark chocolate is just a touch, not overbearing or tooth achingly sweet. It's a nice fragrance, and I'm glad I tried a sample, but I won't be buying a bottle. I can't do the galanga.

08 March, 2007

Amazing by Bill Blass

I bought Amazing by Bill Blass a couple of years ago. I think I paid $20 for the edt and body powder in a gift set. I actually bought it on impulse because I fell in love with the bottle. But I also like the fragrance - a soft green floral, one of my favorite fragrance families. It's not very long lasting. A spritz of it is nice after a shower. Now that I've talked myself into it, I'll wear some today. :-) So why don't I wear this more often? I guess because it's just not all that "Amazing", merely a pleasant & innocuous green floral. Which is fine.

(Half a thumbs-up on the fragrance, and a full thumbs-up on bottle design)

08 February, 2007

Chance by Chanel

I didn't expect to like Chance because I don't really like any of the Chanels after No. 19 (which I love). I can't do Coco, Allure, Coco Mlle. I figured this was yet another Chanel that I won't get. First sniff...yep, same family. Then...after a little time...I really liked Chance. Patchouli doesn't love me, but the patchouli in this dries down to a soft warm whisper. Chance can be soft and sexy if you give it a "chance". :-) I like it.

28 January, 2007

Donna by Lorenzo Villoresi

Overwhelmingly spicy and clove-like on me. The spiciness is so pronounced that I don't detect any other note but rose, and it just becomes more annoying as time passes. I wanted to like it, but it was a scrubber for me.

05 January, 2007

Songes by Annick Goutal

Tovah sent me a decant of Songes a while back, and I get exactly the same overwhelming chemically note of rubber tire. So weird because people rave over this stuff. On me Songes is noxious. This is the first AG I've tried that I really dislike.

11th November, 2006

Diorissimo by Christian Dior

I tested Diorissimo edt today again after I don't know how many years. I was practically swooning with delight. What a lovely, lovely fragrance! It just smells like true quality. My goodness, I had forgotten what a quality fragrance actually smells like. The jasmine in it is gorgeous and first rate. I had been thinking lately that jasmine is not my friend. Not true! I can wear this jasmine beautifully. Diorissimo is now on my Christmas wish list. I'm so pleased to have found a scent that makes me feel excited to own a bottle again! :-)

11th November, 2006

Sunflowers by Elizabeth Arden

I wore Sunflowers back in the 90's and I'm sort of in the mood to wear it again. I think it's rather a nice fragrance, yes go easy on it as Calchic says. I guess people OD'ed on it and that's why so many people hate it now. I used to get compliments on it, however. RuffDawg's not the only one who thinks it's a unisex scent. My boyfriend at that time was always borrowing my Sunflowers (and L'eau d'Issey, too)!!

10th November, 2006

J'Adore by Christian Dior

I enjoy most of the Dior fragrances. J'Adore is a very *nice* fragrance but it doesn't knock my socks off. Maybe that's a good thing - there's always room in my wardrobe for a *nice* generic fragrance to wear to a funeral or christening or something. (!!) "Generic" is too extreme, though. J'Adore is not quite generic, but it's not special with a capital "S", though I do like it. I love the bottle.

29 October, 2006

Alien by Thierry Mugler

I think Alien is absolutely brilliant. I wasn't too sure at first, but it has grown on me. It's very potent, bold, long lasting, with a lot of sillage (which is not usually my type of perfume, I'm rather reserved), and you could suffocate people in small spaces if you wear too much, but it's one of those perfumes that have a definite positive effect on my mood and attitude. I feel very independent when I wear Alien, and comfortable in my own skin. There is a combination of aloofness and warm coziness that works some kind of magic on me. There is a lot of subtlety in there, if you give it a chance. I can see why people might dislike it, but I wear it to please myself. I love the purple bottle, too.

22 October, 2006

Burberry for Women by Burberry

I used to wear this one a lot. Mint in a fragrance always attracts me. But this isn't a cool scent, it's warm and cuddly and lasted a long time on me. The tonka, I suppose, is what made it seem vanillic, just short of gourmand. Though someone did tell me once that I smelled like a cookie when I was wearing this, so it's somewhat sweetish. I stopped using it because I grew tired of it and felt like concentrating on other types of fragrances. But it's a nice one. Just not what I'm into right now.

16 October, 2006

Liz Claiborne by Liz Claiborne

I used to wear Liz Clairborne in the 80's. I had received a gift set that had a mini of the parfum with it, and that was very nice parfum - fruity, almost chypre'ish, and quite delicious. I'm not sure what happened to my old bottle of edt (it was the red triangle). It was a very pleasant fruity-floral scent. I don't like the newer Liz Clairborne scents. Just this one.

14 October, 2006

Lacoste pour Femme by Lacoste

I wore a sample of this a couple of times and liked it alot. It's a soft, clean floral, a type of scent that seems to work well on me. I wish it lasted longer, but this is a great everyday fragrance. Clean, sweet, skin scent on me. I may even ask Santa for a bottle.

12 October, 2006

Aqua Allegoria Ylang & Vanille by Guerlain

Not bitter, sweet, or nasty on me. Just boring.

08 October, 2006

Anaïs Anaïs by Cacharel

I was one of those who wore Anais Anais in my 20's. I liked it at the time - I was a girly girl who wore a lot of fresh florals and had romantic tastes. Now that I'm in my 40's I will have to revisit Anais Anais to see if it's true that it's not as innocent as it seems, as mentioned below. I've read references elsewhere to its leather note, which I don't recall.

02 October, 2006

White Musk by Body Shop

A friend of mine wears this exclusively. It's so fresh and clean on her, and also smells a little like freesia blossom. I've never worn it myself cause I wouldn't want to start wearing "her" fragrance, but I think it's a charming scent. It's decidedly girly, imo. I can't quite see a man wearing it but whatever floats yer boat. ;-)

First by Van Cleef & Arpels

I agree, First does smell expensive - it's obviously a very "nice" fragrance and there's nothing there to dislike - but it always bored me. I had the edt and lotion, maybe it's better in parfum. No offense to anyone who loves it, and thank goodness we don't all love the same fragrances. I love many that are this type of classic fragrance, but First doesn't excite me.

Gardénia Passion by Annick Goutal

Yes, as Helg states below, this is a tuberose scent. I think it's rather fresh compared to Fracas (but I have Fracas edp and Gardenia Passion edt, so maybe that's why). There's a note in GP that smells like mildew to me. I don't know if that's the tuberose or something else. I keep a small bottle of it around for old time's sake, I used to wear it a lot. Not so much anymore. I like it, though. It's pleasant stuff.

Mitsouko by Guerlain

The first time I wore Mitsouko all these 19th century Romantic (with a capital "R") images took over my mind. It was truly like a haunting. Strange, potent effect it had on me. I have a bottle of the edt. I rarely wear it, however - it's just not what I reach for on as all-round everyday fragrance, and everyday casual is pretty much what my life is all about. But I am in love with the old world quality of Mitsouko. It's makes me feel nostalgic, but for some other incarnation I think. It's spicy and peachy on me - it's a tough old leathery dried peach that still has in the center the slightest lingering odor of a summer long past, and the mustiness of old books and abandonment, and there's vanilla in there, too, which gives it a bit of lushness to balance the dryness and bring you back. It's just one of the most extraordinary fragrances.

20th September, 2006

Narciso Rodriguez for Her by Narciso Rodriguez

I agree that NR for Her (I have the edt in black bottle) can be worn by both men and women. It's a soft fragrance on me and decidedly "feminine" on the one hand because it is just very pretty and elegant, yet there's also a lingering, decidedly "masculine" woodiness and a bit of booziness. So I can see this fragrance going in either direction gender-wise. It's interesting. I don't feel the urge to get dressed up for this fragrance, rather the opposite in fact. It's a fragrance that I would reach for on an occasion when I do not want to be too identifiably dressed up in a frou-frou fragrance. For me, it's more of a casual yet chic scent. Maybe because it is so unisex and versatile. On my skin, it's not overtly sexual and musky, it's just clean smelling and pretty. I like it as a modern alternative to my usual preference for feminine classics. I think I'll reach for it much more this fall than I have over the summer. I'd like it on my husband, too.

23 August, 2006

Provocative Woman by Elizabeth Arden

Looks like I'm the only one here who likes it. The name is misleading. But I don't pay much attention to dumb advertising campaigns. I will admit I didn't see anything wonderful about Provocative Woman at first spray, but it dried down to something quite pleasant on my skin - warm, soft, cozy, ambery. Not cheap, not grape, not watermelon - nothing like that at all. Not terribly long lasting either, but that's ok. I don't think it's such a bad scent.

13 June, 2006

L by Lolita Lempicka

Someone recently sent me a sample and I've just tested it once --- but I think *L* is lovely. I don't detect all the notes listed, just the vanilla and musk and a general gourmand yumminess. I didn't apply much so I didn't find it overpowering or too much of a sugary cliche, just mellow, sweet and soft on my skin, and long lasting. Nice! :-)

21st May, 2006

Lolita Lempicka by Lolita Lempicka

I just sampled this (I basically live under a rock) because someone sent me a sample. I never tried it before in dept stores, I suppose, because I don't care much for anise or licorice flavors and I thought that I wouldn't want to smell them in a perfume either. How wrong I was! :-) This is one of the loveliest fragrances I've tried in a long time. On me, it's very long lasting. It smells of anise pastilles and violets and soft musk -- it's so nicely composed. I don't find the anise/licorice at all discordant. I think it adds a note of interest without overwhelming. I'm surprised by how much I love this one. It's now on my wish list.

21st May, 2006

Shalimar Eau Légère Parfumée by Guerlain

I've been wearing a decant of this version of Shalimar over the past couple of days and loving it. It's light but surprisingly long lasting on my skin. Lemony & vanilla. I usually like Shalimar eau de cologne or parfum (not so much the edt for some reason). This one is very nice! I will probably purchase it at some point. I can see myself wearing it year round. My husband likes it on me, too.

14 May, 2006