Reviews by BetsyMeszaros

La Nuit Trésor by Lancôme

This reminds me so much of Angel but I like Angel much better. It smells nothing like Tresor. I bought it for the bottle and I'm not unhappy about that. It is doubtful I will wear the juice very often although my husband seems to like it a lot. I only put a small amount on both wrists but you can smell me coming a block away. Therefore, not something to wear to work -- be forewarned.
25th August, 2017

Rendez-Vous by Atelier Cologne

Really nice inoffensive scent. I like it a lot but not enough to buy a full bottle.
06th May, 2016

Parfum d'Été by Kenzo

This review is for the old version. I am not familiar with the new version.

I love this green floral. The lily of the valley, the hyacinth and the rose are blend so well. It has good staying power too.

The leaf shaped bottle is beautiful. I will never understand why they changed it.

I didn't realize it had been reformulated and put in a very ordinary looking bottle. Must go in search of another of the older bottles.
23rd February, 2016

Fate Woman by Amouage

This smells like a very expensive soap. Enough said!
07th January, 2016

Aberdeen Lavender by Creed

I won this in a raffle. I'm glad because it is way over priced.

On the opening it smells like a toxic cleaning product with a hint of chlorine.

Then it settles down into a run of the mill lavender.

07th December, 2015

Mandarino di Amalfi by Tom Ford

This smells like a mandarin orange or clementine. I just don't like smelling like a fruit.
27th November, 2015

The Essence of Central Park by Carthusia

I won a bottle of this. I rather like Carthusia fragrances so was delighted. My delight disappeared the minute I put it on. It was a nicely done green fragrance with the herbal taking over from the beginning. As time past some of the floral came through a bit but not much. I would say this fragrance was more for a man and should probably be listed as unisex. I gave this one to my husband.

24th November, 2015

Blackberry & Bay by Jo Malone

I really like this. Though I will tell you my nephew owns this and it smells quite different on him then it does on me. The bay is definitely dominant on him. As for me, the floral component comes out more and so does the grapefruit.

Like most Jo Malone perfumes it does not have great sillage which is fine by me. I'm not that kind of girl. If you stand next to me I want you to notice my perfume. When I enter the room I don't want people five feet away gasping for air because I've overdone it. Just one of those differences that make the world go round.

I would like to talk about notes and use big fancy words but JM fragances aren't like this. One of the reasons I like Jo Malone is her scents are understated. I find them very elegant and classy with a lot of complexity. This is the second scent I have bought under the Jo Malone label that wasn't actually created by Jo Malone. I would like to be able to try some of the Jo Loves but they are not available in the USA. Maybe there is a clause in the sale agreement with Estee Lauder that is responsible for this?

This is a beautiful scent that will be in my wardrobe a long time.
23rd November, 2015

White Musk by Illuminum

I rather like this. It has a strong bulgarian rose component and lots of woodsy notes. I don't find it either pointless, bland or synthetic. In my opinion it is a nice scent that would offend no one.
03rd October, 2015

Shalimar Souffle de Parfum by Guerlain

This makes me smell like a vanilla custard.
25th September, 2015 (last edited: 04th November, 2015)

RiRi by Rihanna

I've never worn or tested celebrity scents. Okay, so I'm a perfume snob. Made a resolution to try a different celebrity scent every time I went shopping.

Today I tested RiRi by Rihanna.

In the opening there is a sharp over powering combination of citrus and cantalope. This soon fades to a plastic smell with a ton of vanilla. It then settles down into an artificial sugary confection.

Maybe the next one I try I will like better. It wasn't "oh gosh let me go wash this off" horrible but it wasn't particularly good either.
20th August, 2015

Shalimar Ode à la Vanille : Sur la Route du Mexique by Guerlain

I love the original vintage Shalimar which does not have the "blast of sour citrus/bergamot" that is in today's "original" formulation.

That being said, I find this one very ordinary and totally lacking in sophistication. It does not smell anything like Shalimar to me. It is too much vanilla and too much sugar for my taste. I could find something very close to this in a drug store chain or any department store for a lot less.

I really wish Guerlain would stop with the Shalimar flankers and just name these things something else as any relationship to the real Shalimar is in name only.
11th August, 2015

Gardenia by Forever Florals Hawaii

I own the entire collection of Forever Florals Gardenia. This includes the perfume, cologne, body lotion, bath crystals, and shower gel. This review is for the perfume.

This past summer I would pick a fresh gardenia from the bush in my backyard and compare it to a gardenia scent in my collection. This was by far the closest to the real thing and beat out many more expensive perfumes with "gardenia" in their name. Never mind the top, heart, and base notes this is pure gardenia all the time.

I really love this and it is super cheap. It has good sillage and longevity too.

17th July, 2015 (last edited: 09th August, 2015)

Gardenia by Roja Dove

All week I have been wearing a gardenia perfume everyday and comparing it to real gardenias from my garden. This is the absolute worst. It smells nothing like a gardenia what so ever and is just one big powdery mess. If you like powder try it but if you are looking for a gardenia scent skip it.
02nd July, 2015

Aqua Allegoria Lys Soleia by Guerlain

This is your typical Thierry Wasser perfume. Heavy on the sweet side with lots of vanilla and just enough other ingredients to keep it from smelling cheap.

I blind bought this after reading a review where someone said it smelled like the stargazer lily in her garden. She must have a totally different variety of stargazer lily then I have. Nor can I smell any white lily. Some are saying it smells like Casablanca lily. Since I have never smelled this particular lily that may be why I don't think this smells very much like it has a lily note. It could also be the lily is overpowered by something that smells very much like honeysuckle. I assume that's the ylang-ylang. I like both of these but prefer them to be subtle.

I like this but I don't need a second bottle. I'm not a big fan of the Aqua Allegoria series to begin with. This will do but it's not great. Maybe it will smell better during the hot summer.
11th April, 2015 (last edited: 30th July, 2015)

What We Do In Paris Is Secret by A Lab on Fire

Where do I begin? It physically hurts my nose. I mean my sinuses are going wild.

What is in this? It doesn't even smell that good. Way too much powder.

On top of all that it's very expensive for what it is.

I gave it a neutral because the name is great and why I decided to buy a sample. A shallow reason I know. My own fault for buying this.
03rd April, 2015

Intoxicated by By Kilian

This is an okay scent. On me it smells a lot like Angel. I think it is too expensive for what it is. That's why I gave it a neutral.

Update
Intoxicated changed as the day went on. It lost the gourmand qualities and took on understated floral notes. Lasted about 6 hours on me.
13th March, 2015 (last edited: 20th March, 2015)

Caligna by L'Artisan Parfumeur

A pretty little perfume but nothing special. For the price there are much better things out there.
01st March, 2015

Aqua Universalis Forte by Maison Francis Kurkdjian

Absolutely love this and wear it all year. It is both enduring, sophisticated, elegant and simple.
17th February, 2015

Velvet Orchid by Tom Ford

Wore a sample of this today and have decided it is not just for me. It just seems to be a perfume that doesn't know what it wants to be when it grows up. It seems like so many things were thrown together to make this that it has no true definition. I'll have to pass on this one.
18th January, 2015

Chloé (original) by Chloé

Love the boozey peachy smell of this one. It is big and that's what I like about it on a winter day. A floral with personality. and substance. I don't wear this often but when I do I really enjoy it.

It definitely reminds me of the 1980's but that's not a bad memory. If you like the over the top fruity florals being marketed these days this one is not for you.

I don't know how anybody can think this smells anything like Fracas IMHO.
07th January, 2015

Black Rose by Illuminum

Just tried a sample of this today. It smells like bath soap. Can't really identify which one but it is definitely a soap smell. My husband had the same impression. I will be taking a pass on this one.
03rd January, 2015

Roses de Chloé by Chloé

I got a sample of this and fell in love. Had to have a full bottle. Got the bottle and was extremely happy until I put it on. It is just way too powdery for me. Why do samples sometimes smell so different from the actual product?

It's a nice enough rose but nothing spectacular.
03rd November, 2014

Idylle by Guerlain

A very pleasant scent indeed. It should offend no one.

Enjoyable but not special enough to buy. Will enjoy my sample.
28th October, 2014

La Vie est Belle by Lancôme

This reminds me of Angel with too much powder. Enough said.
03rd October, 2014

Silk Blossom by Jo Malone

This is a very pretty soft, summery, feminine floral that is perfect for a hot and humid summer day. There are days when uncomplicated simple scents are the best.

Some Jo Malone fragrances do not last too long on me but this one seems to have staying power.

I only bought a small bottle but think I will go back for the big bottle as it is a limited edition.
27th June, 2014 (last edited: 13th August, 2015)

Rose Oud by Illuminum

I absolutely love this which is a shock since I don't, in general, like either rose scents or oud

Quite by accident, I found Rose Oud. The dry down is intoxicating. I love this scent and it seems to last a long time on me.

Since illuminum moved out of Barney's in NYC and Lucky Scent no longer has it on its web site I do not know where I will continue to buy it in the US.
07th March, 2014 (last edited: 07th August, 2014)

Elle L'Aime by Lolita Lempicka

This is pleasant enough and follows the current trend for sweet fruity florals. Not a lot of depth or sophistication in this one. I'll take a pass on this.
24th January, 2014

Bottega Veneta by Bottega Veneta

This is a lovely fragrance. It reminds me of something or somebody but I can't place who or what. It is just a little too powdery for me so I won't purchase but I"m ever so glad I got a sample.

I couldn't quite decide whether to give this a thumbs up or neutral but because it is so well balanced I decided on the thumbs up.
21st January, 2014

Mon Peche / My Sin by Long Lost Perfume

This review is for the original by Lanvin. IMHO it should have it's own listing in the directory.

I wore this in high school back in the sixties. I'm sure I wore it more for the name then the scent.

Recenty bought, at an extremely reasonable price, a gift set with Eau de Lanvin Mist and an unopened bath powder. The mist appeared to be full. I put it on and at once it was like being with an old friend. It just felt so comfortable. It smells like it once did so this bottle was kept in good conditions.

This really does seem to have a bit of mystery about it. I don't know if it is the jasmine and rose blended with the bergomot and aldehyds that make so mysterious but I just know Ingrid Bergman's character wore this to Rick's cafe in Casablanca and Lauren Bacall's character must have had it on in To Have and Have Not.

I love this stuff but I can't tell you why. It has a depth and complexity not enjoyed by fragrances today. So glad I found this again. Maybe at some point I will find a reasonably priced bottle of the Lanvin extract.
19th January, 2014