Reviews by Mr_B

Original Vetiver by Creed

Soap. Soap. Soap. This, for me, is the most disappointing Creed fragrance.
02nd October, 2010

No. 88 by Czech & Speake

I had to laugh when I read lunoar's review. After having tried this my comment to the sales staff was "this smells like a church". To me it has a very distinct, old, wood-like scent. It's certainly different but not my cup of tea.
02nd October, 2010

Guerlain Homme by Guerlain

This is a great summer scent which I occasionally wear to the office. It's also the most complimented fragrance I own. It's very fruity and I can certainly smell the mojito in it. Amusingly, with reference to Sporenburg's post, I own this and Allure and enjoy wearing both of them.

However, it's longevity is poor and I have to spray 6 or 7 times before work if I am to get anything which will last up to mid-morning. For this reason, I don't think I'll be buying another bottle once it's finished; I'll stick with Allure.

Terre d'Hermès by Hermès

Seriously, seriously masculine and very, very sexy.

This is a weird one for me: I love it but I don't know why. I usually go for lighter, citrusy fragrances but there's something in this that's addictive. I look like a loon smelling myself all day if I've sprayed some on my clothes. I haven't smelled anything like it but it's the next one on the buy list.

Longevity is just absurd.

Rive Gauche pour Homme by Yves Saint Laurent

Having read the reviews on BN I really, really wanted to like this and bought it based on what I read here. It really does smell like a quality barber shop and is something I'd like sprayed on me after a haircut but wearing out? No thanks. After having worn it for an hour I was left with a very powdery, slightly nauseating scent which I had to wash off.

This was a lesson learned for me - try a fragrance first because, despite all the thumbs up, it might not be to your taste.

Kouros by Yves Saint Laurent

Holy cow. I put this on in a department store and couldn't wash it off. I had to walk around so as to not offend myself. I had to tell my wife I would be walking around and while I was doing so she said "whatever you've just put on it's disgusting".

This was invented in the 80s and should have stayed there. Wearing this you walk into a room and *it* announces you. You leave but everyone remembers you because your scent is lingering. People in that room the next day will be thinking 'who earth was wearing that wretched scent'?

If I ever have the misfortune of getting a whiff of someone wearing this, my immediate thought would be 'what a self-absorbed, egotistical, attention-seeking <insert profanity here>'.

In case I haven't conveyed my opinion above: this is awful.

Eternity for Men by Calvin Klein

This was my first ever fragrance and so I associate it with a younger man (I'm 30). I still think it smells ok but it's not something I'll ever buy again. It's a 'safe' fragrance and so not a classic for me.

Eau Sauvage by Christian Dior

This fragrance makes me think of my father and so to me is a refined, older man's scent. It's beautiful: citrus and freshly cut grass.

I don't think I can pull this off yet but only because I associate it with an older man. One day I'll buy it but for now it's something I want to associate with my father; he wears it much better than I could.

Dune pour Homme by Christian Dior

I owned and wore this from late teens to mid-twenties and loved it. It's really citrusy and was great to wear in the summer. As I've got older it's just seemed too "young" for me so I've left it behind. Ho-hum, c'est la vie.

Dolce & Gabbana Pour Homme by Dolce & Gabbana

I have no idea why but I've only ever owned this as aftershave rather than an EDT and so is used perhaps once or maybe twice a week after shaving. It's a wonderful blend of lemon and tobacco which gives a clean, fresh and, at the same time, masculine scent for a good few hours even as an aftershave.

One day I'll buy the EDT version but for the time being it's my perfect shaving accompanient. Great stuff.