Reviews by necrosero

necrosero
    Romania Romania

Rive Gauche pour Homme by Yves Saint Laurent

Barbershop smell

This is a CLASSIC. Classic both in age and in terms of quality. If you like how shaving cream (that typical '90s shaving cream) smells, you will love Rive Gauche. It is clean, neat, orderly. Best suited with a white shirt put on after a long shower. Could easily be a signature scent, it will never offend anyone. It just smells good, and this is all that it does. Good longevity, medium projection, best worn by 35+ people in my opinion.

Pros: Squeaky clean smell
    Cons: Somewhat dated and "mature""

10th September, 2013

Cigar Aficionado by Cigar Aficionado

Synthetic, harsh, almost metallic opening blast of sour, raunch, bitter, stingy citruses. Mellows down into a semi-bitter cocoa-tobacco mix, that is not sweet, but not incredibly bitter as the opening. And it just stays there, no more development for this guy. Longevity: a lot, about, 8-10 hours, and you can still smell it on your shirt the next day. Projection: quite a lot, in the beginning it's quite loud, it settles down after 30 minutes, but it never becomes a "skin scent". All in all, it does smell somewhat cheap and dated, and it's not really my cup of tea.

19 December, 2011

Dolce & Gabbana Pour Homme by Dolce & Gabbana

Horrible, synthetic mess of a perfume. All I get is something off putting, some sort of gas with citrus, and it goes and goes and goes. For me, it has no dry down, it doesn't change, it's just a linear, dry, annoying smell. Why would anyone want to wear this crap is beyond me. BIG thumbs down, as for all other D&G frags that I've tested so far.

24 August, 2011

Brave Agua Brava by Antonio Puig

As I have not smelled Puig's original Agua Brava, I cannot comment on the similarities between the two. But, as I have read from the notes pyramid of AB, the same notes could be applied for Brave AB. Aquatic + oriental + woods, that's what I get, and I like it. There's a very pregnant pine note in the middle, so if you don't like how pine smells, don't bother with this one. It is very dry, not sweet at all. I like it, it's way better as an aquatic than, let's say, BVL Aqva.

Iceberg Twice Homme by Iceberg

I used to own this. Three words for it: lemon, mint, synthetic. If you like those 3 characteristics, buy it. If you don't, then don't. As simple as that. I actually hate lemony, minty and synthetic frags, so I totally loathed this one and sold it right after I received it as a present.

Le Mâle by Jean Paul Gaultier

Horrible, synthetic, sickeningly sweet concoction. All I can smell is vanilla, vanilla, vanilla. Might as well buy a vanilla candy for that matter. And oh, the longevity and projection are extreme! Everyone will notice how you reek of this "modern" fragrance. Ok, maybe I'm a bit biased, I hate sweet fragrances, but I totally hate Le Male, it embodies everything that I loathe about modern perfumes (albeit it's a '95 scent, it's still "modern").

Encre Noire by Lalique

Dry, woody, sexy, dark, earthy, muddy. These are the words that best describe Lalique's Encre Noire. No point in reiterating what others have already stated about it. It is an excellent frag, the only downside for me being that it is somewhat linear, but I love the almost constant vetiver smell, so I don't really care. It has become my signature fragrance. Way to go.

Quorum by Antonio Puig

I just received Quorum, and I had very, very high expectations from it. I am NOT disappointed. I was afraid that it would smell too "old" and 50+ like, but my worries vanished as soon as I sprayed it on my wrist. It smells so... organic and warm and masculine, I can't quite describe the smell, as I am not an expert, but damn it smells good! Something appropriate for the 25+ in my opinion, for a grown man, but not too brash to be worn by a more timid type of person, it gives them attitude. Now, 2 hours after the initial application, it is still going strong. I smell something green, leathery and with an attitude. I certainly don't smell any tobacco at this moment. Maybe later it will change. It is a wonderful blind buy and I am not disappointed that I bought Quorum. THUMBS UP!

27 December, 2010