Reviews by galwaygirl001

Terre de L'Encens by Cloon Keen Atelier

Two words for you - Iris Frankincense!

The iris note here is definitely NOT the 'grated carrot' type note in iris silver mist. It is rooty iris, but not earthy, if you know what I mean! To me the rooty iris note seems 'polished' & 'refined'.

Its like someone took the peppery frankincense of armani prive bois d'encens and made it much more transparent and less austere and added a refined rooty iris note.

It opens with citrusy aldehydes, the main event is peppery citrusy frankincense and rooty iris and finishes with a woody drydown.

I think it is completely unisex. My husband sniffed it and said "its beautiful. It is definitely incense, but wearable".

To me it is an elegant resinous transparent woody iris frankincense. I have never smelled anything like it.

Bonus Points: Cloon Keen Atelier is an Irish Niche Perfumery. Federic Malle has competition!

06 August, 2012 (Last Edited: 27 January, 2013)

Spiritueuse Double Vanille by Guerlain

Fantastic 5 star boozy vanilla opening.......

.........terrible sickly sweet cloying drydown

24 March, 2012

Castaña by Cloon Keen Atelier

Castaña is a beautiful unisex vetiver fragrance.

Castana has the creamy tonka/vetiver combination I liked in vetiver tonka, but replaces the 'hazelnut syrup' with jasmine & cassie.

To me castana opens with cardamom, bergamot and vetiver, develops into vetiver, cardamon, jasmine (and other beautiful floral notes I cannot identify), tonka and woods for the main part of the fragrance and then fades to tonka and woods.

Try it!

29 December, 2011 (Last Edited: 08 May, 2012)

Gloria by Cacharel

Boozy amaretto, cherry tobacco, vanilla and woods - similar to guerlain spiritueuse double vanille with a better less cloying drydown.

30th November, 2010 (Last Edited: 05 January, 2012)

LouLou Blue by Cacharel

Loulou Blue will always be my 'first love' perfume and it was my signature fragrance for several years. I discovered it when I was 14 years old and it was love at first sniff! It is long discontinued. I have a little stockpile of four bottles!

LouLou Blue is a oriental floral fragrance, launched in 1995, as a lighter, fresher version of Loulou. Loulou Blue was created by Jean Guichard of Giavudan-Roure in conjunction with Annette Louit of Cacharel.

Top notes: green notes, peach, anise & bergamot
    Middle notes: honeysuckle, orchid, freesia & orris root
    Base notes: sandalwood, tonka bean, vanilla & vetiver

If you can weather the initial burst, Loulou blue is sweet, deep and mysterious.

I cannot understand why cacharel discontinued it, but I suspect lolita lempicka which came out two years later with similar notes - anise, vetiver, tonka, vanilla, orris - stole its thunder! Loulou blue is the better fragrance of the two IMHO.

23 October, 2010 (Last Edited: 28 June, 2012)