Reviews by spiceman_99

spiceman_99's avatar
    spiceman_99

Number Six by Caswell-Massey

I list this item as a thumbs up even though it is a mere shadow of what it once was.(much like Caswell-Massey itself). Back in the early 70's CM products were available as EDT as well as cologne and after shave. They were also available in 8 oz. glass stoppered bottles. As you can imagine, the scents were much more robust and longevity was not the issue it is with a lot of present day reviewers. Unfortunately, over the years as with many other products, strength has been compromised and ingredients substituted. There are CM products now discontinued that are not even listed on Basenotes. Also, there are products listed as "in production" that have been discontinued for years. I wish CM could return the offerings of the 60's and 70's but when that happens I will have to look up to see if a squadron of pigs are flying overhead.

18th March, 2015

Newport (new) by Caswell-Massey

Whoever substituted this stinkwater for the original Newport should be fired! I once requested CM to make several 8 ounce bottles of the original formula Newport and their reply was "its not possible" Fortunately, I bought up a fairly large supply of the original while it was still available. I will buy more if and when I can find some. But the "new" Newport is a scrubber! If I could give it more than one thumbs down I would.

28th December, 2014

Panama 1924 by Boellis

Boellis 1924 is a masculine scent which, while some may say is "barbershoppy".Perhaps "barbershoppy" is really a good thing as it defines masculinity as compared to the stampede of feminine "neo male" scents flooding the market in recent years.

05th October, 2014

Messe de Minuit by Etro

I generally leave reviews to the younger people, but having used the ORIGINAL Messe De Minuit I can assure you that the current formulation is about 1/10 the strength of the original and is an entirely different scent. The reason I am writing is the fact that I'm totally disgusted with the new formula. By the way, if you ask Etro what has changed, they reply "nothing". B.S. !!

23rd June, 2014

Bois Oriental by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido

I made the mistake of buying this based solely on the ingredients. I had a shopper get this for me in Paris and paid plenty. This is listed as "unisex" but it is 100% feminine and extremely cloying. I dumped it down the drain and swore never to buy blind again!

07th November, 2013

Secret Mélange by Maître Parfumeur et Gantier

This comes on very strongly of orange and cloves and remains that way for 10+hrs.I get nothing but compliments on this and suggest that those comments comparing this to a bathroom are the result of spending too much time in bathrooms.

28th September, 2012

Monocle Scent Two: Laurel by Comme des Garçons

This is a great scent and not at all overpriced for those of us who don't buy our frags at Walgreens Iv'v gotten a lot of favorable comment on this one!!

23rd December, 2011

Bay Rum by Burt's Bees

this is absolutely the best bay rum ever produced. Too bad it has been discontinued, although I've been able to find plenty on ebay.
    I have had many,many compliments from women when I use this,so why should I care if men don't like it?

14th April, 2011

Armani Privé Bois d'Encens by Giorgio Armani

Although this is listed as unisex, in my opinion it is masculine.I get more favorable comments on this one than any other product I own and I own a LOT! Further, I believe most of the negative comments here have more to do with price than product.You can defeat the high price by looking on Ebay.I'm looking at one right now for less than $100 U.S. Each of us have to decide for ourselves what works best in our unique experiences.Triple thumbs up from me!

13th September, 2010

"Vintage" Tabaróme by Creed

vintage Tabarome is the epitomy of a MASCULINE product for MEN. It lasts very well and does'nt smell "pretty" as a very great number of modern products do.Two big thumbs up from the spiceman!!

23rd March, 2007