Reviews by ZeCheiroso

Top *
    Heart ***
    Base *
    Final score **

Fragranticans will collapse the review, Basenoters will hate me, the fact is dated stuff is dated.
    Scary scent in that bottle.

The good
    It's an icon, yes. The heart smells like a discontinued EDC from Atkinsons, After Sport, and I do have good memories from it, otherwise it'd get a plain and simple 1 star as final score.
    I'm unable to detect much of a synthetic vibe but then again I can't really find much in specific within that potent concoction.
    Longevity is good, sillage is nuclear when sprayed, it does mellow a bit over time.

The bad
    Dated scent, period. The very mature ladies will chase you around for sure: they say it smells like "real men". Fine...
    Too loud and sharp therefore not versatile.

The ugly
    The best young girl repelent I've found so far, as soon as I sprayed it they all went "eeeeew". The only reason I didn't wash it off was to review it properly.

I've smelled it before, and wasn't sure it was classic Polo. Thanks heavens I gave up on a blind on Modern Reserve, it can't be much far from that, even with the tame top notes.

16 December, 2010

Allure Homme Edition Blanche by Chanel

(consider THIS the one to be posted, I will remove this note later)

Versatility *****
    Durability ****
    Sillage **
    Final score ****

Concentrée is the only version apparently.
    On this follow-up review I noticed I might be going crazy, or at least my perception of this scent changed dramatically.
    Final edit this time.

The good
    A marvelous creamy, superb lemon smell. At first I thought it couldn't be serious, it's lemon with citronella! It didn't take me long to start loving the smell though, it's soothing, uplifting, embracing.
    That creamy citrus theme lends an unusual kind of freshness that some seem to read as formal, elegant, I read it as laid back and fun. I've seen a 50some lawyer with it but I regard it as a casual, vacation, mild weather and warmer scent. A 20some guy could easily pull it off, as well as women.
    Two weeks after I began wearing it, it changed into something close to what most reviewers described. The lemon is half gone, the pepper appeared in the heart, the drydown has musk, cedar, and some citrus peel, good but it's mostly an amberish skin scent at that point. Despite that, the longevity is pretty good and higher than what first impressions would indicate.
    It's indeed a stylish jack of all trades.

The bad
    The price tag is the usual for Chanel, top tier of designer price range.
    It made me go from love to noncommittal, then to "ok, I really like it".

The ugly
    Limited sillage, it lacks some punch too.

01st December, 2010 (Last Edited: 04 December, 2010)

L'Instant de Guerlain pour Homme by Guerlain

Versatility ****
    Sillage ***
    Heart *****
    Final score *****

Quoting Sunsetspawn: "At first I thought that this fragrance could dodge bullets, but then I realized that when it's ready, it won't have to.
    You can read the other reviews to find out about chocolate this and musk that, however, I'm here to tell you all you need to know.
    This is The One"
    His review is for the EDP and mine is for the EDT but really...

The good
    This thing is marvelous, and everyone seems to love it. From Luca Turin, pedantic basenoters, to the common people. There isn't really much negative to say about it.
    Extremely balanced, it's somewhat sexy yet not loud, obnoxious, or potentially offensive.
    It does have some punch and yet it's no powerhouse, in-your-face affair.
    Subtly gourmandy and yet you can't really say there are obvious foody notes except the cocoa, which is a high quality one even.
    The opening is slightly familiar with the citrus but it lasts short anyway.
    Durability is good, around 10h for me, and it can resist showers sometimes, even.
    Sillage is average but I prefer it that way, so to me, that's perfection.
    I can see this one working for many occasions except hot weather and sports.

The bad
    It can't really be worn in summertime.
    Some think it's a formal scent only.

The ugly
    There are people other than myself wearing it.

01st December, 2010

Antaeus by Chanel

Sillage ****
    Top *
    Final score ***

Power incarnate, or how Don Corleone probably smells like.
    Luxurious. Lustful, lascivious, lewd, libidinous.
    The name and the mythology around it are fantastic too.

The good
    This isn't for the faint of heart. It's assertive like no recent offerings. Noticeable but not screaming or vulgar like the majority of low end scents.
    Undoubtly manly and proper, it's like entering a formal event with a beautiful lady in tow: you are the man and everyone gets it.
    Awesome touch of majesty on formal settings, I see it fitting business settings too.
    The sweet beeswax note in the drydown is specially pleasant, and rare.
    Loud but rather limited sillage and great durability. Perfect for its purpose.
    Very uncommon scent.

The bad
    Poor versatility. What am I supposed to do with a tuxedo most of the time?
    Wearing it in summertime should be a felony.

The ugly
    For the younger crowd, it's dated. No way around it. Few young girls will find it nice smelling, and most guys will label it grandpa scent (sure, most of them think Acqua di Gio is the way to go when greeting the Queen of England but I digress).
    The top notes are loud and borderline unpleasant.
    Can only be used with a light hand.

30th October, 2010 (Last Edited: 01st December, 2010)

Le Mâle by Jean Paul Gaultier

Sillage *****
    Top **
    Base ****
    Final score ***

That's the one that introduced me to the hobby of scents. Yes, it was a bit of that "what can I add to my arsenal to attract girls?". It screams fun, fun, fun.

The good
    Young girls dig this. Period.
    It's also a pretty complex mainstream fragrance. Most laymen probably don't even know about the notes pyramid but it's all there, knock-offs and cheapos can't pull it off. It's a fun journey indeed, from the fresh top to the cheerful heart, finally arriving at the clean drydown.
    Unique and it doesn't feel like the cliche men's scents.
    Proper sillage test shows it's not really so sweet as some people claim, if applied with a light hand.
    Atomic sillage and staying power.

The bad
    Because of the gender crossing thematic typical of Gaultier's, this one will sparkle discussions on what's appropriate for men pretty often. Conservative noses will label it girlish or gay, so be ready for it.
    I believe it's a "fun scent" and therefore not appropriate for office and formal settings.
    The top notes feel indeed industrial/synthetic and that might put off some.

The ugly
    Being the quintessential "pickup scent", many men treat it like a love potion: the more the better, they must think. The resulting mess is disgusting but what scent doesn't reek when overapplied?
    Not appropriate for very hot weather.
    To each their own but I also find older (40+) folks wearing this as trying too hard most of the time, just like it would feel it they wore teenager clothing.
    Quite a many people mistake it for Cuba Gold, a cheapo, as the heart notes are pretty close.

29 October, 2010 (Last Edited: 01st December, 2010)

Roadster by Cartier

Versatility *****
    Durability ***
    Sillage ***
    Heart *****
    Base ***
    Final score ****

Jack of almost all trades and master of many of them.

The good
    Superbly versatile, it can fit in many situations except very formal ones. Seasons aren't a problem either. I can see women wearing this too, as it's tame and well-rounded enough.
    High quality ingredients make it smell classy compared to most non-niche scents. Clean and fresh enough to please most ages too. The sweet accord is great to the point of being addictive.
    Average sillage, durability can be quite good when layered on itself. The bottle is cool and after the juice is used up I'm certainly keeping it as living room decoration.
    Fairly uncommon and I doubt one will find many people using it as their casual scent.
    Distinctive, if one pays attention, not many common scents are really like this one. Most fresh ones are marine, or lingering with citrus.
    Not bad at all as one's signature fresh scent.

The bad
    Perfumistas might be able to tell which note is synthetic and complain about development, balance, and the minty notes. On how recent scents are boring etc.
    It does lack oomph. On a fast glance, similar to the many fresh offerings. When I smell it I think expensive, clean and not much else.

The ugly
    It fatigates the nose very fast. Proper sillage test shows it's average and it's there. But what's fun if we can't get it?

29 October, 2010 (Last Edited: 01st December, 2010)